Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Jesus that post hits every "I'm not a racist but" bingo square

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone read through the SQ42 update email they blasted out about an hour ago?

Seems like a lot of technobabble and for some reason they talk a lot about bartender AI which confused me like, why aren't NPC actions just heavily scripted in a single player game. Why do we need dynamic AI.

Also:

quote:

Last month, Narrative continued to support Design by providing notes and feedback during playthrough sessions. They also undertook dedicated playthroughs to identify where new dialogue lines could provide clearer guidance and explanation. This month, scripts will be created and the lines will be recorded using placeholder actors to get them in-game as soon as possible. By minimizing the turnaround time, future pickup sessions with actors will be much more efficient.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm not an idiot, but, and hear me out here, I backed star citizen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

That's like telling your wife that she sucks and is incompetent, because she is working for you and you are your boss.

And then you wonder why you sleep on the couch that night.

You can not just make official and publicly announced statements and then expect that your customers just ignore it and only comment on it on that one place and that it has no other impact.

CIG supports identity politics, doesn't condemn violence, lootings etc. and is also fully against the current US administration, like the movement they support.

Wether you think it's true or not, whether CIG does want people to talk about it or not, this is now exactly what many people will take away from this and everyone with half a brain would've known this at the PR departement before sending out that message

quote:

BLM is as much about all of humanity as modern feminism is about equality, as MGTOW is about more than just hating on women, or how the Antifa is about fighting for freedom and democracy.

If you are against racism you do not turn around immediately and use skin color and identity politics to push an agenda.

I've yet to see a group of people or any movement that grouped together under the banner of identity politics that would then not push for such identity politics.

I don't think CIG wanted to support some upcoming supremacicst movement or support looting and violence. But with that hashtag they certainly opened themselves for such criticism and it's exactly this kind of criticism that their statement provoked, this endless flow of divisive comments that we never wanted in gaming.

If they would've said that they are against racism, violence, hatred, then fine. That's commons sense. No one would've really cared. But they didn't do that. They went beyond ethics and now it's political

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

It's the big catch with procedural generation - it's a tool that's frequently misused as a content generator. It's immediately noticeable and takes all the soul out of the game. I think Elite is probably one of the few games that does it right, because from a strict simulation sense, most of the planets in the universe are basically random poo poo. If that's the approach you're going for, it's perfect. But most sci-fi doesn't focus on the bazillion random uninhabitable worlds, they focus on the few planets that support life and the even fewer ones with intelligent life with civilizations etc. Elite says "hey, wouldn't it be cool if you could be bored in space in a semirealistic way?" whereas Star Wars games say "wouldn't it be cool if the interesting parts of this fictional universe were a place you could play in?" and CIG says "SSOCS Tier-0 mining space news sand worm not a joke space legs fidelitious eyelashes more lethal than COD!" and then crashes while loading the model-viewer.

:five:

Also I agree that this is why I love Elite and I understand that this is why many people cannot.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ahh, placeholder voice actors. Now that they've eliminated the blockers on the voice actor pipeline, they'll be able to crank out a huge amount of content.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

:five:

Also I agree that this is why I love Elite and I understand that this is why many people cannot.

This, but also it will be hilarious if Elite has working space legs before SC does.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Pixelate posted:

That red panda is mesmerising.

Shame it’s all going to be primitive and basic.

Red panda has spoken.

Red panda thinks this could confirm space legs. Are all red pandas as slow on the uptake as this one?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
What happens if they can't get the original actors to do the lines?

I don't know how these things work. Is there some contractual obligation to phone in re-shot lines 5 years after you recorded?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DOMDOM posted:

Anyone read through the SQ42 update email they blasted out about an hour ago?

Seems like a lot of technobabble and for some reason they talk a lot about bartender AI which confused me like, why aren't NPC actions just heavily scripted in a single player game. Why do we need dynamic AI.

The bartender is the root of all their subsumption AI, the fulcrum upon which worlds will be balanced, the font of all emergent realism. And a purveyor of perpendicular liquor.

This is why they can never finish him, and every month they write:

quote:

AI (Social)
The Social AI Team wrapped up the first iteration of the bartender.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Brownhat posted:

This, but also it will be hilarious if Elite has working space legs before SC does.

come on fuddy star citizen's space legs work perfectly some of the time.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DOMDOM posted:

Is there some contractual obligation to phone in re-shot lines 5 years after you recorded?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I really want Chris to dub in some Mark Hamill lines now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

This whole thing this a narrative being driven by the corrupt left, media and deep state. You gotta be touched if you are buying any of it. This is a attempted overthought by the failing democrats. BLM is a racist hate group Cloud Imperium Games
stay out of politics, very idiotic post. Cloud Imperium cuddling with George Soros 💩💩💩

quote:

REQUEST REFUNDS OF YOUR FLEETWEEK PURCHASES OVER THIS..

quote:

Please, don't make me regret backing this project.
Keep out of the perpetually negative scam news cycle and real life politics.
This wave is not worth riding. If you use even one backer dollar to anything else than the progress of the game, you will have a shitstorm of refund request.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adeonibada/generic-brands-george-floyd-protest-statement

quote:

Big red flag, right here, just stop with this SJW bullshit, makes CIG look like a joke.

quote:

what a absolute loving joke cig you goon loving scum bags you blast all over your forums and your useless loving mods stating no politics then you bring this poo poo up gently caress you the fact that dude died had nothing to do with loving race those loving BLM scum bag fuckers let a little girl burn in a loving building because they blocked fire crews

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What the hell is this now

quote:

QA
QA were tasked with creating recorded client scene captures of individual chapters, as well as investigating issues hindering the Cinematic Team’s workflow. They also expanded their understanding of tools, such as the Subsumption Visualizer, to better debug the issues encountered.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
Is it because most SC fan base are 40+ old angry white dads or something? Jesus H Christ. (In reference to racist rear end poo poo).

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Deadreak posted:

Is it because most SC fan base are 40+ old angry white dads or something? Jesus H Christ. (In reference to racist rear end poo poo).

It's because they cater to limp-dicked smooth-brained assclowns that fantasize about being important and lording it over people and that can happen in star citizen if you pay enough. CIG needs these people so they can't ban them and send them packing so the thread is locked and deleted so they can go back to fantasizing about owning a fleet crewed by indentured servants and slaves. Remember that Stimpire.txt came from them, not us.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I’m out of town on vacay and behind on the thread but saw the Elite news. Have there been any meltdowns or is it all just “muh superior fidelity” from the Stockholm Citizen Society?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pixelate posted:

What the hell is this now

Seriously, they're just doing what I did in college when I had NO idea what I was talking about

You pad it by jumping around the topic and saying things like 'we learned a lot of things in regards to 'topic a' today, simply by looking deeper into the subject. By examining the way we interpret these sorts of ideas on a global scale, we can begin to understand the impact it has on future economic situations''

If you just skim what I wrote it ALMOST sounds like something coherent, but it's just putting 5-6 letter words in every few seconds to make someone roll their eyes and skip past

they're not even really trying anymore, are they?

were they ever?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

I’m out of town on vacay and behind on the thread but saw the Elite news. Have there been any meltdowns or is it all just “muh superior fidelity” from the Stockholm Citizen Society?

Lo GORF!

The red panda a few posts up is worth a watch

The sub has it down as healthy competition (that won’t be as good)

Everything’s salty enough right now that there’s lots of "I’ll give it a go" chat though, and just sporadic chat from diehards comparing it to a wheelchair scam, or something.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Blue On Blue posted:

Seriously, they're just doing what I did in college when I had NO idea what I was talking about

You pad it by jumping around the topic and saying things like 'we learned a lot of things in regards to 'topic a' today, simply by looking deeper into the subject. By examining the way we interpret these sorts of ideas on a global scale, we can begin to understand the impact it has on future economic situations''

If you just skim what I wrote it ALMOST sounds like something coherent, but it's just putting 5-6 letter words in every few seconds to make someone roll their eyes and skip past

they're not even really trying anymore, are they?

were they ever?

They could easily have been using that auto-complete text service for months

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Wouldn't it be grand if racism were the hill the citizens finally decided to die on?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

/raffle

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

:reddit:: "To the E:D community, welcome to having space legs! Sincerely, the SC community. :)"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chocobo posted:

Wouldn't it be grand if racism were the hill the citizens finally decided to die on?

It's a perfect black swan event. A result of an out-of-left-field event that has nothing to do with the game development itself, which was impossible to predict ahead of time, but which in retrospect makes perfect sense and feels like it should have been totally predictable, and in fact people will say it was predictable.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Deadreak posted:

There's a reason that CIG's whole "fascist space Rome putting the boots to all them dirty aliens" is so popular with certain parts of the SC fanbase...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "To the E:D community, welcome to having space legs! Sincerely, the SC community. :)"

Pixelate posted:

Lo GORF!

The red panda a few posts up is worth a watch

The sub has it down as healthy competition (that won’t be as good)

Everything’s salty enough right now that there’s lots of "I’ll give it a go" chat though, and just sporadic chat from diehards comparing it to a wheelchair scam, or something.

:lol: I’ll watch the vid takes shortly but I’m glad to see no-one is defensive or dismissive or anything!

Legs won’t be enough to make Elite great but it’ll still expand the distance between the terribad game and the mildly good one. And that can’t be a bad thing. (Star Citizen can and always will be.)

(Bonus points if the VR experience is slick. I got a 2080 TI recently to finally step into the VR realm and I can imagine briefly falling back in love with Elite if experiencing it virtually. Now I just gotta wait for the headset.)

TheAgent posted:

todays been a little crazy

plus I officially get married tomorrow, so hurray

That’s so awesome — congratulations!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 4, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a perfect black swan event. A result of an out-of-left-field event that has nothing to do with the game development itself, which was impossible to predict ahead of time, but which in retrospect makes perfect sense and feels like it should have been totally predictable, and in fact people will say it was predictable.

It's a worthwhile reminder to have zero sympathy or empathy for the idiots still left funding this shitshow

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I sincerely hope all these people get their money out of star citizen and go somewhere they like better, for example the surface of the sun.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Have you tried NMS in VR?

I still haven't actually bought NMS, I've got to get on that

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nicholas posted:

if you combine these two answers, they are basically saying performance will always be awful

It’s hilarious. We’re basically seeing CIG admit that ToW was intended as a marketing ploy for Rex to hype. But the combat and networking in SC are still such hot garbage that it got hugely delayed. Now they’re just giving up and dumping it on the backers in whatever broken state it’s in, and they will never fix any of it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Jesus that post hits every "I'm not a racist but" bingo square

Holy poo poo

Please stop talking about Agony's Aunt, that was like very yesterday.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

It’s hilarious. We’re basically seeing CIG admit that ToW was intended as a marketing ploy for Rex to hype. But the combat and networking in SC are still such hot garbage that it got hugely delayed. Now they’re just giving up and dumping it on the backers in whatever broken state it’s in, and they will never fix any of it.

I'd bet money they intended to release it while they had him on the payroll and it was just too much of a mess.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

This is a good catte

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Alright so Elite Dangerous is coming out with space legs and atmospheric landings and here I am finding out about it from a thread dedicated to making GBS threads on a third rate ego project

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
FTR slaps down some Star Citizen fanboys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhFTS3Jzo0

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:ohno:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
To be somewhat fair to the shitizens, the top voted comment on r/starcitizen at the moment is one calling out racism. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

+95