Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What are some American cheeses? Other than the oily cheese flaps I mean

e: gently caress I've been getting a lot of page snype with lovely posts lately. Here is a relevant funny image:

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In today's money, the feeder would cost $28.60.

this poo poo will blow your mind:

but people also got raises back then, had more buying power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus people used coins, so I made it to the $44.95 that I needed in order to buy Mega Man 2 largely by scrounging in gutters for change

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Actual American cheese isn't too terrible. Not great by any stretch, but not terrible. It's those gross oil based "cheese flaps" (as a goon who's name escapes me once put so eloquently) that gave it it's reputation.

Now, now, pasteurized process cheese food is required to be at least 51% cheese.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Now, now, pasteurized process cheese food is required to be at least 51% cheese.

It's pretty amazing what they can do with texturized low-density polyethylene these days.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Plus people used coins, so I made it to the $44.95 that I needed in order to buy Mega Man 2 largely by scrounging in gutters for change

yep, as a kid it was legit possible to scrounge pennies and buy snacks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

this poo poo will blow your mind:

but people also got raises back then, had more buying power.

I got Skate or Die for NES because it was only $20.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I got Skate or Die for NES because it was only $20.

That game was fun as hell though

Of course I played it in the C64 first but the pool jousting was great

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I remember going to a Babbages and seeing someone buy a NeoGeo game for 200 dollars. It blew my mind.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

I remember going to a Babbages and seeing someone buy a NeoGeo game for 200 dollars. It blew my mind.

Yeah remember when game stop was still twenty different chains

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In today's money, the feeder would cost $28.60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdf_19_FmxM

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The packages don’t say this anymore because they aren’t allowed to

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

freeedr posted:

The packages don’t say this anymore because they aren’t allowed to

They don't? I thought they still did on Kraft singles.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

They don't? I thought they still did on Kraft singles.

it's a cheese product

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's debatable.

:rimshot:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tashilicious posted:

it's a cheese product

It's a cheese-flavored textured imitation simulated food-like product.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ That's still a more palatable description than what the cheese producers lobbied it should be called when Kraft first came up with it.

Embalmed cheese :zombie:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My family has always just called it "plastic cheese." It works on multiple levels.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

"Pasturized Process Cheese" = Cheese + emulsifier + salt + acid/cream/coloring
"Pasturized Process Cheese Food" = Swap no more than 49% of the cheese for milk
"Pasturized Prepared Cheese Product" = Kraft Single = Anarchy (in practice, more milk + milk protein concentrate since it's cheaper to ship)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cheese, much like fish, is a label designed around purpose and not around phylogeny. Kraft cheese is cheese, and it tastes perfectly yummy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of the best treats is to take some melted Kraft cheese and drizzle it over some cat litter and then use it as a facial scrub

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Foxfire_ posted:

"Pasturized Process Cheese" = Cheese + emulsifier + salt + acid/cream/coloring
"Pasturized Process Cheese Food" = Swap no more than 49% of the cheese for milk
"Pasturized Prepared Cheese Product" = Kraft Single = Anarchy (in practice, more milk + milk protein concentrate since it's cheaper to ship)

I can't read this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nothing beats kraft American singles for the cheese in if you want an amazing GCS (grilled cheese sandwich)

When I was on a submarine we'd have "grilled cheese night" and your sandwich was a single slice of american cheese sandwiched between two pieces of white bread, the horrible, way-to-dense poo poo bread the cooks made if you were out for a long time. Single whisper of ham optional. Served with canned carrots, canned green beans, and tomato soup.

I'd get off of an 8 hour watch, and that would be my only food for the next 16 hours, and I had to restrain myself from throwing my plate at the cooks head, because that is a miserable, nutritionally bereft meal.

Almost as bad as when our only source of protein for two months was powdered eggs.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can get some sodium citrate and turn any of your favorite cheeses into the texture of an American slice. Then you can hit a grilled cheese texturally with s some amazing flavor

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat Daniel! With audio.

https://i.imgur.com/9tnuQnL.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bike tory posted:

What are some American cheeses? Other than the oily cheese flaps I mean

e: gently caress I've been getting a lot of page snype with lovely posts lately. Here is a relevant funny image:

If you mean "decent cheeses that are labeled American cheese" generally what you'd get sliced at a deli is decent, and I'd go so far as to say Cooper sharp American is downright the best cheese for burgers. If you more generally mean which cheeses from America are good I'm personally fond of Cooper, Muenster, and some Jack blends but I'm a simple man of simple tastes.

On the other side of this coin is Provel, which is only conceptually a cheese and is better described as engineered misery.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goodpancakes posted:

You can get some sodium citrate and turn any of your favorite cheeses into the texture of an American slice. Then you can hit a grilled cheese texturally with s some amazing flavor

I think my favourite moleculate cheese gastronomy is when Babish dehydrated a bunch of fine cheeses to make the perfect instant mac n cheese.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:yeshaha:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Actual American cheese isn't too terrible. Not great by any stretch, but not terrible. It's those gross oil based "cheese flaps" (as a goon who's name escapes me once put so eloquently) that gave it it's reputation.

It's just vegetable oil and cheesy bits. I use vegetable oil in my cooking it's not the devil.

Cooper sharp is good for sandwiches

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I like cheese

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
prairie breeze cheddar is excellent but i don't know how far outside of the midwest the particular farms ship it

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
As if anything from the midwest is good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elviscat posted:

When I was on a submarine we'd have "grilled cheese night" and your sandwich was a single slice of american cheese sandwiched between two pieces of white bread, the horrible, way-to-dense poo poo bread the cooks made if you were out for a long time. Single whisper of ham optional. Served with canned carrots, canned green beans, and tomato soup.

I'd get off of an 8 hour watch, and that would be my only food for the next 16 hours, and I had to restrain myself from throwing my plate at the cooks head, because that is a miserable, nutritionally bereft meal.

Almost as bad as when our only source of protein for two months was powdered eggs.

Do submarines just smell like sweaty people and farts? I imagine that's what a submarine smells like

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The pipes, the pipes were calling I guess.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Holy poo poo. Every single person there has an amazing reaction

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The best I've seen so far in real life is people just thinking their mic is muted when it's not. Lots of yelling at dogs and deep belches on business calls during this pandemic.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

canyoneer posted:

Do submarines just smell like sweaty people and farts? I imagine that's what a submarine smells like

No.

They smell like cat piss, the chemical used to remove CO2 from the air is one of the major contributors to the scent of cat pee, it pervades everything, and you don't notice it after a day or so, until you go on liberty and stagger bar to bar in Norway smelling like a drunk piss hobo, then stagger back to the boat before curfew, and almost ralph going down the hatch from thenpissy stench+booze.

Farts are easily removed by the powerful ventilation and atmosphere control equipment (there's machines that effectively remove all volatile compounds).

Sweat stink varies, most of the time you can shower regularly, and submariners in general are fastidious about hygiene, due to the odor accumulation potential of sleeping 9 people to 6 beds in a 6'x6'x6' cube, lack of hygiene is quickly corrected by your 8 bunkroom mates.

The exception seems to be junior Auxiliary Division, the guys who blow poo poo overboard, fix the shitter when they don't work, spend all day covered in diesel and oil, and handle the aforementioned cat-piss chemical, their berthing always reminded me of my football teammate "hobo Phil"'s locker, he who wore the same practice jersey every day for a whole season without washing it.

Oh, and that powdered egg thing I mentioned? It was because our freezers broke, over a literal ton of meat rotted, we had to dig through it to get to the edible stuff, the rotten meat would be heat-sealed in large plastic bags. By the time we were able to "shoot" trash overboard again the bags had inflated until they were rigid and stiff, from the gasses of putrefaction, each one had to be punctured and the meat removed to the degradable canisters used to discharge trash to the briny depths. It took three days to remove all the rotten meat, the filters and burners were of no use, for that time there was no escape from the smell, you woke up with it in your nostrils, ate with it (particularly powerful when you ate because the mess was near the trash shooting apparatus) stood watch with it, and went to sleep with it clogging your nostrils, punctuated every once in a while by the sharp odor of popping a particularly rancid bag of pork chops. I had lost 30lbs in two months and even the ravenous nature of that kind of food deprivation couldn't force me to have much of an appetite in the face of that overwellming stench.

Sorry for the rant, the whole thing might've traumatized me a little.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Solice Kirsk posted:

american FLAVORED SaNDWiCH SLiCeS

"American Flavored Imitation Pasteurized Process Cheese Food"

I will never stop giving the yanks poo poo for this. What the gently caress, people.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, that's some seriously lovely "food".

It's made with the cheapest ingredients to somewhat resemble a food item for:

A: people who literally have to watch every penny or go hungry, or

B: people who have no taste buds whatsoever and think paying anything but the lowest possible price for anything is wasteful.

Usually A.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't pre-sliced cheese way more expensive than blocks?