Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help! I vaguely recall an FPS weapon that was like a gluon gun style ray but it caused enemies to inflate and gib in a gory mess. It's possible I'm conflating Doom's pulse cannon and Prey's Q-Beam but I succinctly remember a gun in a game somewhere like this.

e: Not the gluon gun from Black Mesa either, the enemy expanding thing is really stuck in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

al-azad posted:

Help! I vaguely recall an FPS weapon that was like a gluon gun style ray but it caused enemies to inflate and gib in a gory mess. It's possible I'm conflating Doom's pulse cannon and Prey's Q-Beam but I succinctly remember a gun in a game somewhere like this.

The Expander from Duke3D??

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
which sucked rear end

al-azad
May 28, 2009

verbal enema posted:

The Expander from Duke3D??

My memory says the game was 3D, but yes the expander sucks and it's wild how bad it is when the shrinker is so good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the only 3D game where i remember a model "inflating" and blowing up was that one boss in MDK who does that when ya beat him

that was an FPS :colbert:

the one level where ALL the surfaces are reflective and there is a big rear end pendulum swinging around was the coolest poo poo my dad ever saw

"THESE GRAPHICS ARE WICKED"

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
It was the microwave gun from the first Soldier of Fortune, if I remember right.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Br3instyrm posted:

It was the microwave gun from the first Soldier of Fortune, if I remember right.

i dont remember a drat thing about that game except twirling all my guns around

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

al-azad posted:

e: Not the gluon gun from Black Mesa either, the enemy expanding thing is really stuck in my mind.

Timesplitters 3 had a gun like that, and Killing Floor 2 has a couple guns that use Microwaves to a similar effect as well

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Br3instyrm posted:

Oh yeah that’s the stuff. And since I forgot it that means I must replay SoF as penance.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

al-azad posted:

The Bubble Gun in Unreal4Ever

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I believe the counter-rumor to the "Prey 2 was practically done" rumor was that it hadn't really gotten much further than the heavily-scripted E3 demo. Given the utter loving mess that was how Human Head handled Rune 2, I'm leaning towards that side.

Yeah, that's the only way any of it makes sense (with the information on hand). There's no explanation as to why Bethesda/Zenimax would have funded the game up until the end of development, only to then and there cut it off due to quality issues. Human Head wouldn't have been developing it in secret with Bethesda just asking "surprise us", that's not how any of that works.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 4, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sandy Petersen reacting to his son playing Doom Eternal is pretty funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSb1esFt0A

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwV3uwM19EY
This one is cool too, about his contributions.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"I guess everyone at id now are agnostic, so they don't have the same fear of demons that I do."

"Spears and swords, what's next, a pointed stick?"

:laugh:

e: "I guess they're praying to the doom guy, which is a little... blasphemous"

I did not realise I had expectations of what a "Sandy Petersen watching Doom 5" video would be but this is meeting them!

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 4, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I did not realise I had expectations of what a "Sandy Petersen watching Doom 5" video would be but this is meeting them!

I loved his reaction when the player double jumps. "He cannot double jump. Humans cannot double jump! Only Mario can double jump in the air!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mario has never been able to double jump sandy!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

I loved his reaction when the player double jumps. "He cannot double jump. Humans cannot double jump! Only Mario can double jump in the air!"

He's such a loving goon :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone else get weird stuttering issues with Biomod for Deus Ex whenever you get into a gun battle? My framerate tanks the moment someone opens fire on me. Fuckin' weird. Vanilla game doesn't do this and neither does GMDXv10, although that one is plagued with some long loading times that v9 doesn't. :psyduck:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Why has Youtube waited until now to point me to the high-quality colour version of the weird French music video that appeared at the end of MDK?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

huh, never realised there was an eminem fps

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Convex posted:

oh man i remember playing the demo for this one. i also remember that even when i saw copies on amazon for $0.01, i couldn't talk myself into buying it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Convex posted:

The respawn animation is gnarly. And uh..that's about all that's notable.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Convex posted:

i remember asking stephen at night dive to get the rights to this as a joke and he said he was talking to the rights holders but this was like a year ago

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I played the poo poo out of the demo of Devastation but never got around to playing the full game.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Convex posted:

Serious Stan

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Convex posted:

Reminds me of this bad boy:

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

had to go download and replay the Devastation demo. they got the basics wrong on that one but tried to make up for it with other content. huge number of weapons but none of them are any fun. awful sound design. a million physics objects for you to push around while you walk around. "hacking" mechanic which amounts to holding "E" at terminals

al-azad
May 28, 2009

weed cat posted:

had to go download and replay the Devastation demo. they got the basics wrong on that one but tried to make up for it with other content. huge number of weapons but none of them are any fun. awful sound design. a million physics objects for you to push around while you walk around. "hacking" mechanic which amounts to holding "E" at terminals

The good old days where designers forgot enemies should actually react when shot.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

al-azad posted:

The good old days where designers forgot enemies should actually react when shot.

naw we got ragdoll physics! that covers it

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Crowetron posted:

Reminds me of this bad boy:

The soundtrack for this was fire. It had Poe!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, looks like that Hell Hunt demo got updated and reuploaded a few days ago. https://t19games.itch.io/hellhunt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The soundtrack for this was fire. It had Poe!

I love Bruce Willis' genre-straddling work "constantly talking to an imaginary partner character who was supposed to be the protagonist and got cut from the game". Its a long title for a song, but its mostly a spoken word piece so it fits

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
STRAP ONE ON ITS TIME TO JAM

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I sorta wanna play Quake or Quake 2. I've played them a bunch but I have no real recollection of beating them.

Assume this is the first time I've played in my adult life (Played snippets when I was a kid, committed none of it to memory): should I be playing with any mods or should I just load up what's on Steam and plow through it?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
For quake I would advise using a source port to smooth things out. Quakespasm seems to be the hot one atm, I played it with dark places a couple of years back. I didn't do any mods, but make sure you play it with the OG soundtrack, it's awesome.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah for Q1 QuakeSpasm or vkQuake are good and here's a guide to getting music working: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

Eyud fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 5, 2020

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Morter posted:

I sorta wanna play Quake or Quake 2. I've played them a bunch but I have no real recollection of beating them.

Assume this is the first time I've played in my adult life (Played snippets when I was a kid, committed none of it to memory): should I be playing with any mods or should I just load up what's on Steam and plow through it?

If you're on Windows, I would modestly recommend the Quake SP Starter Pack for a way to get up to speed with Quake singleplayer.

That package includes the Mark V quake engine, but you can also drop the most recent Quakespasm or vkQuake or whatever into the folder if you'd rather play using one of those. (But leave Mark V there too since it is used by the installer batchfile for downloading stuff.) You do need to have the DirectX 9 runtime to use Mark V, but you probably have that anyway if you play other games on that same computer.

I would really recommend playing the original Quake campaign first, without any mods or "HD packs" or etc. It still holds up if you like retro shooter gameplay, and looks fine "vanilla" -- although feel free to use a more modern screen resolution than back in the day.

The installer there can then help you try out a lot of the highly-rated singleplayer content that's available. Again most of it is meant to be viewed in a fairly vanilla engine (Quakespasm and its relatives like vkQuake are the usual target platform).

Eventually if you want to wander into the world of blinged-out Quake then that is certainly out there for you. :-) To truly bejazzle things, you would need to use a different Quake engine like DarkPlaces or FTE.

----------

A "power user" tip for the starter pack:

You can choose to use the included installer or other methods for launching stuff. (More about that in the readmes.) If you want to use the installer, it runs Mark V by default. You can force it to run something else by setting a Windows environment variable named quake_exe ... for example you could set quake_exe to a value of quakespasm.exe and the installer will use that when you ask it to run a map/mod.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You want to play Quake in some way that automatically enables mouselook because otherwise you will be going into the command prompt and typing in the code to enable it every time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Barudak posted:

You want to play Quake in some way that automatically enables mouselook because otherwise you will be going into the command prompt and typing in the code to enable it every time.

Here's hoping one of the aforementioned ways covers that :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Morter posted:

Yamagi Quake 2 is the way to go for Quake 2!