Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I just got a Canon 85mm f/1.2 and... my god. The amount of background blur is just astonishing to me. My friends asked for some LinkedIn profile picture shots, so it was a great opportunity to try out my new glass.

She also asked for a couple pictures on the street, and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ihmemies posted:

Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

Something about the shoes hurts this for me. Don't know why my eye is drawn there, but there you go. I like everything else about it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
DSC_1266-4 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC_1266-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Took an editing class online tonight. Here are two different forms. Thoughts on both the photo and the edit?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's a good headshot and the editing is well done and not distracting.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
High Key by roland luijken, on Flickr

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's really nice.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

The hair says she's walking, the hands say she's standing still, posing. This distracts (me) from seeing anything else in this picture.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My friend wanted to practice portrait photography. It was sunny but we tried to find some low-contrast spots. I was the model and before moving to a location I took a couple of shots of my friend too, to get some test images out from my new Panasonic S1. Lens was Nikkor Ai 50/1.2.

A couple more at https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2020/05-30+-+TFCD+Petteri/

I'm using VSCO Standard presets in Lightroom. VSCO was discontinued and naturally there are no camera-specific presets for new Panasonic cameras, but the Standard camera-independent presets seem to work just fine. Kodak ultramax 400 soft highs was my choice this time. I like how easily I can just scroll tough different "looks" and pick whatever feels the best. No need to fiddle with the settings whole day. Making my own presets would probably make me better at editing photos, but I dread even about thinking at spending countless hours adjusting different sliders, trying to achieve the same result I can get with 1 button.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 30, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

My friend wanted to practice portrait photography. It was sunny but we tried to find some low-contrast spots. I was the model and before moving to a location I took a couple of shots of my friend too, to get some test images out from my new Panasonic S1. Lens was Nikkor Ai 50/1.2.

A couple more at https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2020/05-30+-+TFCD+Petteri/

I'm using VSCO Standard presets in Lightroom. VSCO was discontinued and naturally there are no camera-specific presets for new Panasonic cameras, but the Standard camera-independent presets seem to work just fine. Kodak ultramax 400 soft highs was my choice this time. I like how easily I can just scroll tough different "looks" and pick whatever feels the best. No need to fiddle with the settings whole day. Making my own presets would probably make me better at editing photos, but I dread even about thinking at spending countless hours adjusting different sliders, trying to achieve the same result I can get with 1 button.

First one isn't bad or anything, but doesn't move me one way or the other. Love the second though with the wall contrast.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hardest part is to get some ideas. In 1GB of raws there was maybe 1 bit of ideas. I'm envious of people who can figure out their own style and do their own thing instead of just copying others.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Ihmemies posted:

Hardest part is to get some ideas. In 1GB of raws there was maybe 1 bit of ideas. I'm envious of people who can figure out their own style and do their own thing instead of just copying others.

Well, if it helps any think about what you want to explore with doing portraits. Are you trying to capture "them"? Or do you want to capture photos to express something outside of that? Or is it somewhere in between? I would say start there to try to generate some ideas just on that alone. And think about that before you try to consider things like lighting, how you're shooting, post-processing, etc.

Once you get a bit more of a handle on that then start adding the other things and work on that. After time certainly feel free to pivot somewhat away from what you're currently doing. The reason I phrase things this way is that you'll have a bit better understanding of what could work and where. And also be willing to be critical about your own work! Pull apart what did work and what didn't and apply that in the future.

Hopefully all of this makes sense. I know with 'photography internet' there's a bunch of poo poo out there that's just all THIS ONE THING WILL MAKE YOUR PHOTOS RULE. Which is hardly ever the case. So I had to figure out what I wanted to do. And pull out the small pieces I see elsewhere that I think works for what I'm working on at the time.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I think in photography or any visual medium a good start is to try and make something beautiful. Everyone has a different idea about what that is and I think that by following your own notions of beauty you will eventually end up somewhere unique. Sometimes you might think you are tired of making beautiful things and want to do something different from that. If you are having that kind of thought then I would suggest you follow that notion instead as it is likely to lead you exciting places.

Of course there is no escaping influence in art but our aesthetic sensibilities are constructed from an assemblage of our influences. If you study photography and other art or intellectual material and do so widely what sticks with you will inform your photographic style. If you have diverse influences I believe you are more likely to produce something personal and unique in your practice.

I think the second portrait is better as others have said. The geometric simplicity lends itself better to the appearance and manner of dress of your subject. The first feels full of tension and is messy and unfocused but for what purpose ?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I just want to socialize with people, get out, have fun and take technically pleasing photos from people :v: I don't have any big artistic aspirations or visions... so making "beautiful" photos is a good start, I agree.

Our camera club had a portrait evening yesterday in a park and I took these two. In the first one I wanted to test how plants work as a frame. In the 2nd one I wanted to test how a golden reflector looks like when using it to lighten a backlit subject.

I even got one idea while I was on a date earlier this week. I saw a yoga dancer doing poses at waterfront, so I thought it would be cool to take silhouette poses against a sunset (very cliche, yes). Asked the only ballet dancer if she was interested and she immediately said yes. Maybe next week when the rain stops... Also some airsoft dude wanted gear photos. Maybe in some abandoned setting or excavation site? Or just a generic Finnish forest. Then one wanted photos with her new dress. That was supposed to happen tomorrow but constant rain forecast cancelled those plans.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 5, 2020

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
im just saying if you want to have "ideas" about photography a good start is by thinking about it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

im just saying if you want to have "ideas" about photography a good start is by thinking about it

:hai:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe silhouettes are also portraits? Originally silhouettes were portraits AFAIK.. but the term's use got wider.

I saw some girl doing yoga poses earlier and thought some poses would be a cool idea for portraits. Asked the only person I know who knows how to do some kind of poses, she's a ballet dancer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Bottom one is fine but I love the top one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some more from the summer...

Now I want a Laowa 105/2 STF. I have the Nikkor 105/1.8 but sometimes I would like even smoother bokeh. The STF has it thanks to the graduated radial neutral density filter inside the lens. One went for 258€ in ebay, I offered only 257€. Should have offered more. Next time!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 5, 2020

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Ihmemies posted:

One went for 258€ in ebay, I offered only 257€. Should have offered more. Next time!

Apologies if you know this already, but:

That's how ebay's auctions work: all the bids you or anyone else enter are actually "maximum bids", and ebay automatically enters bids on your behalf at small increments above the current bid, up to your maximum. If the current bid is 100 and you enter a bid of 150, the new current bid (yours) becomes 101. If somebody else bids 110, immediately afterward it will update to 111, and yours will still be the current, highest bid. This goes on until somebody bids higher than your bid of 150. If somebody else bids 200, they'll have the current highest bid, at 151: one increment above yours.

You lost to somebody who bid more (obviously), but you don't know how much more they were willing to pay. They could have bid 300, 500, or 10,000, but because you were the next highest bid ebay just awarded it to them at one increment above your bid. This gives a good overview across a few pages: https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/index.htm

I put this in practice for the first time today: there was a book that usually sells for ~$300 used elsewhere listed on ebay with a current bid of $80, which was the starting bid. I figured I'd be ok with paying up to $150 for this copy, so that's what I entered as my bid about ten seconds before the auction ended. I won the auction and paid $86.*

As the link above details, it's better for everyone (well, buyers anyway) if bids are only entered at the last second. Otherwise everyone gets constant emails about how they just got outbid by $1 and the price spirals up as people get emotional. Decide what you'd be willing to pay and bid that in the final seconds. You'll either win (and probably pay somewhat or significantly less), or lose and feel fine because you weren't actually willing to pay more - otherwise that price would have been your bid.

*Why not $81? The person with the original $80 bid put in another bid (remember all bids are maximum bids) about an hour before the auction ended. I can infer it was $85. Because they were the first and only bidder, this new max bid from the same person let them set their hidden max price higher than the original starting bid. The displayed current bid remained at $80. If I had bid $81 I would have lost, they would win at $82. Instead I bid $150 and won at $86.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 24, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I understand that. I thought I was ready to pay only around 260€ but now I could have at least tried to pay like 350€... this is what happens when I really start to want more gear. Hopefully it cools down so I can save some money :v: I put the bid in 4 seconds earlier. The winning bid was registered 1 second before ending. Maybe he used a bot.. maybe not. I was on a mobile connection so I was hesitant to leave less time before entering my bid.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 24, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

105/1.8 nikkor

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We were trying out a friend's EOS R6 while a young couple came by and asked if we could take a photo of them with their phone. I took one(1) photo with my own camera too aftewards. 85mm f/1.2

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Good use of that opportunity.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Nice shot of a good-looking couple. Did you pose them at all, or just point the camera and mash the button? Because either they know how to pose together or you told them how.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Easychair Bootson posted:

Nice shot of a good-looking couple. Did you pose them at all, or just point the camera and mash the button? Because either they know how to pose together or you told them how.

They knew what they were doing better than I was. I just pointed the camera and mashed the button, it took only a couple of seconds :v: Panasonic S1's AF isn't very good. With single point depending on subject matter the point is either too small or too large to find focus in many situations. And using too big of a focus point is bad at f/1.2.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I managed to find a model to take some autumn portraits. Of course the photos with leaves etc. sucked but these were nice!

Bonus from Saturday

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

This is what's getting me - I was a prick to "um excuse me", but they were legitimately telling someone to ignore my very valid question. It's absurd to say that I'm hiding behind "uhm akshually im just critiquing" when it's perfectly acceptable to be a dismissive rear end in a top hat as long as you use capital letters and write more than one sentence in your post.

Your initial critique was valid but your "edgy" posting style is really loving insufferable sometimes and some people are put off by it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

The "male gaze" isn't just people taking photos to jerk off to later, though those guys absolutely still exist. I won't pretend to be able to state the problem as clearly and as completely as other people have, but as I see it, the male gaze and the resulting photography directly cause the insecurity you're talking about - there's constant societal pressure to conform to the standards set by idealized and unrealistic images, which historically have been shaped by men.

You could argue that women's fashion ultimately exists in it's current form for the purpose of making women appealing to men. But I wager no female fashion designer would ever tell you they design women's clothes *for men*. I mean isn't it kind of paradoxically sexist to say that women have little agency over what they deem to be the standard of beauty without involving men? Sure there's no mistaking the fact that our standard of female beauty have been historically shaped by men but implying that a woman can't also find the same things beautiful without "actually" just bending to societal pressure is kind of hosed up? At what point do we "allow" women to "own" their own standards of beauty?

Edit: lol just realized those posts were from almost a year ago

Oh well :justpost:

Subyng fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 14, 2020

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Subyng posted:

Edit: lol just realized those posts were from almost a year ago

Oh well :justpost:

At the same time, most of that 'almost a year' has been Hellscape 2020, so... part of it was "almost a year ago"; part of it was "just two pages back". That's practically yesterday.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

You could argue that women's fashion ultimately exists in it's current form for the purpose of making women appealing to men.

You could make that argument, if you you were a loving idiot.

Subyng posted:

but implying that a woman can't also find the same things beautiful without "actually" just bending to societal pressure is kind of hosed up? At what point do we "allow" women to "own" their own standards of beauty?

Oh, you are a loving idiot. My bad, sorry.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

8th-snype posted:

You could make that argument, if you you were a loving idiot.

Or you could consider how women's mainstream fashion objectifies the female body in a way that mens fashion does not

quote:

Oh, you are a loving idiot. My bad, sorry.

gee I wonder why Dorkroom is dead, certainly not because the only people left are tryhards who spend all their mental energy trying to make sick burns :rolleyes: seriously what the gently caress is your problem

Subyng fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 15, 2020

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Jeez. I said I was sorry. Maybe if you'd be less of a loving idiot you'd be less mad at the internet.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also if you weren't such a loving tryhard you'd understand that

"women's fashion ultimately exists in it's current form for the purpose of making women appealing to men"

is not an argument that I am actually making, it's an analogy to "women want sexy photos because ultimately it's what our male dominated society has decided is desirable"

but who the gently caress knows what you're actually reacting to or what your viewpoint is, or whether or not you're just literally retarded, because you're unwilling to say anything that has any meaning or value, so why don't you just gently caress off?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Subyng posted:

Also if you weren't such a loving tryhard you'd understand that

"women's fashion ultimately exists in it's current form for the purpose of making women appealing to men"

is not an argument that I am actually making, it's an analogy to "women want sexy photos because ultimately it's what our male dominated society has decided is desirable"

but who the gently caress knows what you're actually reacting to or what your viewpoint is, or whether or not you're just literally retarded, because you're unwilling to say anything that has any meaning or value, so why don't you just gently caress off?

your "edgy" posting style is really loving insufferable sometimes and some people are put off by it

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Take a page from your own book and learn to take criticism.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

you are incredibly dense, it's wonderful. welcome to the dorkroom!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

Take a page from your own book and learn to take criticism.

You should take a page from the book "How to Not be a loving Idiot", just make sure you get a recent edition

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Since you're both only capable of making snide remarks clearly your galaxy brains already have life, the universe, and all the correct opinions already figured out. Good for you. Unfortunately the rest of us need to use our words. Why don't you go transcend the gently caress out of this thread to a higher plane of poo poo posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
edit: nah , not gonna feed trolls

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 15, 2020