Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

namesake posted:

Johnson: I have potentially caught COVID 19 again and will be retiring to Chequers for the next two weeks.

"We only have to be lucky once.
You have to be lucky every time" ~ Comrade Covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Best misattribution :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The most shocking thing about this is the idea that the Swans have a following outside of Swansea.

There was an influx of Danes when Laudrup was made manager. When we signed Ki Sung Yeung the forum gained a single South Korean stalker girl. The Americans mostly appeared with the new owners. There are groups of Dutch fans from the previous ownership (one part owner basically ran a travel agency bringing hordes of his mates over a few times a year, selling his comped tickets) but they don't get involved much.

We played good football and were "everyone's second team", once upon a time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Amusing thread:

https://twitter.com/alexvtunzelmann/status/1268493634812481536?s=20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sassassin posted:

The surviving mods of my usual Swansea City forum (one died of cancer the other day) are outing themselves as full-on anti-left bootlickers, which is a bit annoying. The site admin is starting individual threads for UK protesters he sees on twitter doing something he doesn't like saying "Shoot him".

There's one fan from Texas who is well liked because he's made several trips over here over the years, and his twitter feed is just retweeting Trump and Trump-adjacent chud garbage. Call him a racist and the knives come out.

The coronavirus arguments were enjoyable despite all the idiots sucking off our government's every miss-step. This is time to walk away and deny them all the benefit of my wisdom re: the youth sides and why our manager is loving poo poo.

They all love Starmer as well as a sensible, electable, proper leader.
Bolded the surprising bit.

Swans fans are fashy as gently caress. You'll see a busload of them at any major fash event, there's a major DFLA contingent (with connections to much nastier groups), all the pubs near Liberty Stadium are pretty much no-go for known leftists (they're pretty big on Redwatch-style tactics).

Obviously just talking about the ultras, rather than, for example, me and most of my mates, but I'd be very surprised if the broader online community wasn't predominately right wing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Borrovan posted:

Bolded the surprising bit.

Swans fans are fashy as gently caress. You'll see a busload of them at any major fash event, there's a major DFLA contingent (with connections to much nastier groups), all the pubs near Liberty Stadium are pretty much no-go for known leftists (they're pretty big on Redwatch-style tactics).

Obviously just talking about the ultras, rather than, for example, me and most of my mates, but I'd be very surprised if the broader online community wasn't predominately right wing.

They're mostly conservatives who have lived their whole lives in poor areas where actually voting for the Tories is verboten. Corbyn was despised. Starmer appeals to them as an establishment operator who will be forensic and oust the blue team, but not actually change anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sweden chat:

This is Stockholm

https://twitter.com/lovettejallow/status/1268233200473604096?s=20

(Though she does say later that 90% of the protests are peaceful and this was an isolated incident).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ha, what an idiot, as if London would have a statue of a foreign racist general who didn't much like the British.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand LBC is a pile of unutterable horseshit that has hosted Farage for most of a decade (and continues to do so?).

On the other hand, actually speaking to the general public on one of the better-known platforms for engaging with politics, and providing a less right-wing voice than any they've had before, has a chance to do something non-poo poo if Keir does it right.

I'm not holding out any of the h-word, but I think on balance it's more likely to do more good than forensically getting brayed at at PMQs and getting COVID as a result.

It's going to be the M*msnet massive phoning in every day to ask him about their lEgItiMatE cOncErNS about "what if a trans woman is making GBS threads within 6 cubicles what then" and he'll be "well of course we have to look at both sides narf narf" I guarantee it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

ha, what an idiot, as if London would have a statue of a foreign racist general who didn't much like the British.

I first encountered his name in an Agatha Christie novel written in about 1925. I don't know why I'm surprised he lived to 1950. Probably because I was born in 1960 and that was only a couple of years ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

It's going to be the M*msnet massive phoning in every day to ask him about their lEgItiMatE cOncErNS about "what if a trans woman is making GBS threads within 6 cubicles what then" and he'll be "well of course we have to look at both sides narf narf" I guarantee it

How do these people cope if they visit somewhere like, Avignon Castle (I think it was there) where there are two rows of mixed-sex cubicles and a single mixed-sex queue. Or indeed open air concerts where they have those stinky unisex cubicles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They probably a: wouldn't notice it for 20 years and b: would now scream about how it's the gay agenda.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How do these people cope if they visit somewhere like, Avignon Castle (I think it was there) where there are two rows of mixed-sex cubicles and a single mixed-sex queue. Or indeed open air concerts where they have those stinky unisex cubicles.

Lol they don't visit places.

Isomermaid posted:

True. I confess to having relatively little ideas what the listener demographics of LBC are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I first encountered his name in an Agatha Christie novel written in about 1925. I don't know why I'm surprised he lived to 1950. Probably because I was born in 1960 and that was only a couple of years ago.
Apparently there was a proposal that he should be interim PM of the UK if Churchill were to be incapacitated during the war. I'm really not sure how that would work, especially as he was also PM of South Africa at the time.

I assume it's all part of the fact that the whole thing runs on convention, but it's very odd that their first pick for emergency leader during a war "well there's this highly competent general" "go on..." "he fought Britain to a ceasefire in 1902."

OwlFancier posted:

They probably a: wouldn't notice it for 20 years and b: would now scream about how it's the gay agenda.
It all gets rolled into the narrative, like how I'm convinced that half of their vile descriptions of trans women are actually based on seeing a Scotsman on a stag do in 2005.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely wonder sometimes if these weirdos who go off about gender neutral bathrooms keep a bucket of paint outside their bathroom door at home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely wonder sometimes if these weirdos who go off about gender neutral bathrooms keep a bucket of paint outside their bathroom door at home.

And I was just thinking, so many cafes have a single mixed-sex bathroom.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Once had an argument about gender neutral bathrooms with a former colleague who had apparently failed to notice that the bar we were in had a gender neutral bathroom

People just don't notice this poo poo outside of the context of dicking on trans people

e: ^^^they're typically the ones with really nice bathrooms & all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course, like my favourite sit down chippy in redcar has one. Lots of small restaurants/bars have literally just one cubicle, and frankly I look forward to them because they're usually a lot cleaner and more comfortable than the piss trough or the pigsty that are the ones with cheap plastic stalls.

Like why people feel the need to go to bat for the worst (literal) shithole design in the world I dunno. I guess at least it's not a squat shitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And I was just thinking, so many cafes have a single mixed-sex bathroom.
Our nice village tearoom near the church has one. It's a room with a toilet in it and 'toilet' written on the door. I haven't checked if everyone who uses it becomes trans but by local demographics I don't think so.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You are ascribing way too much rationality to this line of... well I hesitate to even call it thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if there's some sort of psychlogical thing where if you have a one room bathroom that looks like a normal human bathroom in a normal human house, people are less likely to plaster the walls with piss and poo poo for fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the bathroom is wattle and daub then does it matter?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Broken windows theory but for shithouses

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I refuse to believe anyone mad at gender neutral toilets is doing it from a position of sincerity. Any sort of toilet based argument is insane. How'd you even notice a trans person in a toilet? why would you be looking at people in a public toilet??? ahhhhh :psyduck:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anybody know much about this Titania McGrath twitter account? Supposed to be a parody of SJWs, the dude behind it seems to be set off by a strong breeze.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

hemale in pain posted:

I refuse to believe anyone mad at gender neutral toilets is doing it from a position of sincerity. Any sort of toilet based argument is insane. How'd you even notice a trans person in a toilet? why would you be looking at people in a public toilet??? ahhhhh :psyduck:

And the theory that a very committed man would pretend to be trans to enter toilets, so he can shout "hah! bigot!" when challenged, rather than just dressing up as a janitor.

No sincerity indeed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What's up with places that have two completely separate individual lockable rooms that insist on putting a male sign on one and a female sign on the other

there's an Indian restaurant in Liverpool where it's like that, although tbf the male one also has a urinal so I suppose you and a friend could both go simultaneously??

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

hemale in pain posted:

I refuse to believe anyone mad at gender neutral toilets is doing it from a position of sincerity. Any sort of toilet based argument is insane. How'd you even notice a trans person in a toilet? why would you be looking people in a public toilet??? ahhhhh :psyduck:

There is definitely a psychosexual element to it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Anybody know much about this Titania McGrath twitter account? Supposed to be a parody of SJWs, the dude behind it seems to be set off by a strong breeze.
Yeah, one of the jonathan pie/spiked on line crew.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

I think many if not most are doing it from a position of sincerity, just not a position of anything approaching rationality.

I think the majority sincerely believe the nonsensical bullshit they've bought into about the bathroom assaulter narrative, and they've never stopped to think about trans people as being... you know, people, rather than the straw bathroom assault monster they read about in the Mail.

There are certainly a small number of powerful people who absolutely know it's bullshit and are using it as a cudgel, though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, one of the jonathan pie/spiked on line crew.

Ah thanks. That explains why I find some of the stuff good but some of it comes off as far too try hard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

I think many if not most are doing it from a position of sincerity, just not a position of anything approaching rationality.

I think the majority sincerely believe the nonsensical bullshit they've bought into about the bathroom assaulter narrative, and they've never stopped to think about trans people as being... you know, people, rather than the straw bathroom assault monster they read about in the Mail.

There are certainly a small number of powerful people who absolutely know it's bullshit and are using it as a cudgel, though.
This just made me think 'bathroom assault rifle', which I guess would be some kind of bizarre mix of the TERF bathroom assault poo poo and the US liberal attempts to regulate firearms not by social danger but by whether they have foregrips and 'shoulder things that go up'.

It's completely dumb but still made me laugh more than Frank Furedi's sketch crew.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

This just made me think 'bathroom assault rifle', which I guess would be some kind of bizarre mix of the TERF bathroom assault poo poo and the US liberal attempts to regulate firearms not by social danger but by whether they have foregrips and 'shoulder things that go up'.

It's completely dumb but still made me laugh more than Frank Furedi's sketch crew.

A bathroom assault rifle would presumably be somethign that rapid fires poo poo.

So, the Sun. Or Boris Johnson.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
And to be clear it's that this is an argument with an obvious bar to clear in dealing with it but I have no faith in Starmer. I live to be proven wrong

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Welcome to the UK about a month from now:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/04/iran-faces-crisis-amid-record-number-of-daily-coronavirus-infections

quote:

Iran is reluctantly confronting the possibility of a renewed political crisis as well as a health one after the latest figures showed the number of new coronavirus infections at a record high.

The government appeared to have brought the virus under control a month ago, but a second wave of the virus has steadily been gathering pace, and according to data released by the health ministry on Thursday there were 3,574 confirmed new infections in 24 hours – an increase of 440 on the previous day.

etc

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently there was a proposal that he should be interim PM of the UK if Churchill were to be incapacitated during the war. I'm really not sure how that would work, especially as he was also PM of South Africa at the time.

I assume it's all part of the fact that the whole thing runs on convention, but it's very odd that their first pick for emergency leader during a war "well there's this highly competent general" "go on..." "he fought Britain to a ceasefire in 1902."

He was probably the person most responsible for the creation of the commonwealth so I can definitely see him being considered an empire unity candidate.

He was a very convoluted man. Fought a very successful military campaign against the british empire but was in favour of a strong british empire and commonwealth. Was Churchill's best friend despite having essentially tortured him. Was a massive racist against black people but opposed apartheid at the cost of his political career. Was also a racist against indians but corresponded with Gandhi who he admired.

I think the defining example of this is that he was a guiding hand behind the united nations charter then objected when South Africa was censured for blatantly not abiding by the rules he had written.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

What's up with places that have two completely separate individual lockable rooms that insist on putting a male sign on one and a female sign on the other

Have you considered the possibility that it's so a man doesn't accidentally walk in on a woman in the toilet, or vice versa?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

You're right. I just have a tough time dealing with the idea that people geniunely fear the toilet assault thing from a trans person. If someone was intent on harming someone they wouldn't need to pretend to be trans person to enter a womens toilet. Not like there's toilet guards checking genders at the door.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

Have you considered the possibility that it's so a man doesn't accidentally walk in on a woman in the toilet, or vice versa?

That's what the locks are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

You're right. I just have a tough time dealing with the idea that people geniunely fear the toilet assault thing from a trans person. If someone was intent on harming someone they wouldn't need to pretend to be trans person to enter a womens toilet. Not like there's toilet guards checking genders at the door.

They usually go down some insane line of "the PC police will say you have to let people do sex crimes or it's discrimination world's gone mad I tell you also they'll give them a free mansion and a plasma telly for it"