Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's very noticeable if you've played MMOs before, the difference in market value between a white dye and the whitest dye is huge (same for black).

Algid fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Big Daves halo colors match WCs color scheme

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
All this pettiness seems like a great opportunity for WC to get her first bit of leverage from which the entire diamond will shatter.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Regalingualius posted:

TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE

What You Gonna Do Is What You Wanna Do
Just Break The Rule, And You See The Truth!

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I'm so into this comic right now, "let us have an honourable duel" lol what a colossal rear end in a top hat

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

habeasdorkus posted:

So I happened to get a discord alert and was able to listen to Operant talk a little about this. Salami Dave's society is not that bad by comparison, but is objectively a brutal, tyrannical system. And to the extent that there's a bureaucratic nightmare government, Dave exempts himself from it. It seem extremely paternalistic. Though, of course, this is basically a game of telephone so I might have misheard something.

But, and I'm pretty sure on this, the final book will involve Jagganoth and Jadis. And I've been pronouncing Jadis in my head all along. It's a soft a, not a hard A.

Yeah, this is a lot of where people are extrapolating from: Solomon David is the ultimate Daddy figure. He's fully patronizing, supremely powerful, and exempt from all of his own rules. His relationship with the ruled is completely 1-way. The term "paternum" is being used here for a reason. And I think it's pretty reasonable to look at this element of the text and riff on how such a state would handle other problems under this lens: a government that is both trying to 'protect' you, while being stern and 100% unaccountable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the last page was his elite soldiers popping his shirt off, this page sucks

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Solomon had to pause for a second so he didnt Say "an honorable execution" instead

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Magnus Manfist posted:

I'm so into this comic right now, "let us have an honourable duel" lol what a colossal rear end in a top hat

"can you fight" yeah sure bro im sure if she said she just wasnt feeling it right now youd call the whole thing off. dickhead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

"can you fight" yeah sure bro im sure if she said she just wasnt feeling it right now youd call the whole thing off. dickhead.

He just might have to prove he is the bigger man metaphorically (on top of literally)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the last page was his elite soldiers popping his shirt off, this page sucks

No, no, follow the logic further: his elite soldiers helped him put on his gi on account of he entered the arena entirely nude.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

paranoid randroid posted:

He's been pretty clear that he'd take a forfeit.

The undercomic text has been particularly fascinating the last couple days, and I really like this one

quote:

“Chief among the concerns of any code of punishment is that it is important for the executed to have dignity. A man’s death must be treated with reverence and not treated at some soiled thing. It therefore transforms from a wrongdoing into a spectacle.”

– Au Vam, Pankrator of Vesh

This uses an interesting rhetorical turn: treating your argument as if it is the always-already default. The obvious issue here of course is that dignified executions are not a universal. Many forms of execution are designed to be humiliating and awful.

To go on a little more, in imperial Chinese history, executions were, as a rule, designed to be exceedingly and excessively cruel, and usually involved mutilation, frequently post-mortem. This is why there is a significant and weighty distinction between "executed" and "ordered to commit suicide." Being ordered to commit suicide gave the victim a lot more dignity over their death, in addition to being less painful.

This ties back into what kind of society Solomon has built, and given his power, is pretty utopian in his eyes. Executions, including this one, are respectful and dignified, and I'd wager a huge percentage of why is because it maintains Solomon's dignity. Executions sully the executioner, and Solomon is the paternum and must maintain that aloof paternalistic energy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tulip posted:

Executions, including this one, are respectful and dignified, and I'd wager a huge percentage of why is because it maintains Solomon's dignity. Executions sully the executioner, and Solomon is the paternum and must maintain that aloof paternalistic energy.

That's what I'm reading it as, too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not sure how he's going to manage that when the fact is that when you kill an angel, they explode violently.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kwyndig posted:

I'm not sure how he's going to manage that when the fact is that when you kill an angel, they explode violently.

Walking away, putting on sunglasses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if White Chain can just hug him tight and explode.

Eh, really, though, I'm fully expecting White Chain to lose horribly. :smith: She made her choice knowing how it would go.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MikeJF posted:

Or maybe make her first explode on purpose and pray that the shards would cut Solomon's skin.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

Eh, really, though, I'm fully expecting White Chain to lose horribly. :smith: She made her choice knowing how it would go.
Wouldn't that kind of fly in the face of Zoss' whole deal to Allison about giving up her illusion of control?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tulip posted:

He's been pretty clear that he'd take a forfeit.

The undercomic text has been particularly fascinating the last couple days, and I really like this one

This uses an interesting rhetorical turn: treating your argument as if it is the always-already default. The obvious issue here of course is that dignified executions are not a universal. Many forms of execution are designed to be humiliating and awful.

To go on a little more, in imperial Chinese history, executions were, as a rule, designed to be exceedingly and excessively cruel, and usually involved mutilation, frequently post-mortem. This is why there is a significant and weighty distinction between "executed" and "ordered to commit suicide." Being ordered to commit suicide gave the victim a lot more dignity over their death, in addition to being less painful.

This ties back into what kind of society Solomon has built, and given his power, is pretty utopian in his eyes. Executions, including this one, are respectful and dignified, and I'd wager a huge percentage of why is because it maintains Solomon's dignity. Executions sully the executioner, and Solomon is the paternum and must maintain that aloof paternalistic energy.

A disgusting form of execution is still a ceremony, though, and so it is still a spectacle instead of just someone ending another person's life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

As funny as it would be to see Salami Dave get Yamcha'd, I'm not expecting it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tulip posted:

Walking away, putting on sunglasses.

In slow motion

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Phy posted:

As funny as it would be to see Salami Dave get Yamcha'd, I'm not expecting it.

But if he does, I expect a picture.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think that if White Chain is choosing to fight knowing she can't win, that's still her choice and Allison can't dictate either the outcome nor White Chain's decision.

Angels do just get shoved into the void if their shell is destroyed, though, so there's a nonzero chance White Chain will win some kind of symbolic victory, get yeeted, but still be around as a character. And Allison can meet Vigilant Gaze in his actual body!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that if White Chain is choosing to fight knowing she can't win, that's still her choice and Allison can't dictate either the outcome nor White Chain's decision.

Angels do just get shoved into the void if their shell is destroyed, though, so there's a nonzero chance White Chain will win some kind of symbolic victory, get yeeted, but still be around as a character. And Allison can meet Vigilant Gaze in her actual body!

:colbert:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't think we have had reason to believe Vigilant Gaze identifies as feminine

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I utterly misread that and I'm an idiot.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I strongly believe that Solomon is about to get his clock cleaned

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Allison’s met White Chain’s real body, pretty recently. I think she left an impression.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Tulip posted:

I would guess that executions in Solomon's society are very "humane". The prisoner probably gets a clean, dry cell and a nice last meal. The hangman is a professional and always makes sure that the noose is well tied and the trapdoor hinges oiled, so your death is quick and clean.

This neatly sidesteps the problem of considering that your "perfect" society requires you to employ professional hangmen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lemony posted:

I would guess that executions in Solomon's society are very "humane". The prisoner probably gets a clean, dry cell and a nice last meal. The hangman is a professional and always makes sure that the noose is well tied and the trapdoor hinges oiled, so your death is quick and clean.

This neatly sidesteps the problem of considering that your "perfect" society requires you to employ professional hangmen.

Solomon operating like some sorta Have-Not Vetinari

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwarzwald posted:

No, no, follow the logic further: his elite soldiers helped him put on his gi on account of he entered the arena entirely nude.

The entire empire saw Dave's salami

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyl9bCp6W4

*Royal, uplifting battle music*

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
My thought is that Allison may be able to use her key to just make White Chain a new, better (girl) body. Resolve the situation by an act of creation, not destruction.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel like whatever Abbadon has in store for this battle, it's going to be something so far from the left field that we can't possibly predict it.

habeasdorkus posted:

But, and I'm pretty sure on this, the final book will involve Jagganoth and Jadis. And I've been pronouncing Jadis in my head all along. It's a soft a, not a hard A.

So Incubus and Gog-Agog won't get the same amount of spotlight? I mean, I can understand the case for Gog-Agog, she kind of works better as a comic relief than as a main antagonist, but I was really expecting Incubus to be like, the "final boss", so to say.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I guess it's kind of reductive to see the Demiurges as a series of powerful adversaries for Allison to take down one by one, and it's not even in line with what we've been shown. While she dealt a crushing blow to Mottom's immortality, we can hardly say that she "defeated" her, and even less so for Mammon.

e: the closest thing to royalty i ever did was deciding that i didn't care if my socks matched anymore

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 4, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like whatever Abbadon has in store for this battle, it's going to be something so far from the left field that we can't possibly predict it.

So Incubus and Gog-Agog won't get the same amount of spotlight? I mean, I can understand the case for Gog-Agog, she kind of works better as a comic relief than as a main antagonist, but I was really expecting Incubus to be like, the "final boss", so to say.

Incubus was never going to be the final boss; His entire gambit is 'make Allison deal with Jagganoth for me", and if Allison can actually put down Jagganoth then that means she can pretty easily put down Incubus too. Jagganoth makes sense as the final boss, because he's the Demiurge that all the others are terrified of.

Besides, Auntie Maya will probably get to Incubus first.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s all about cracking that perfect exterior so White Chain is going to embarrass Solomon in some way (probably by wounding him) and then asking for something ridiculously lowballed like a cup of tea. Solomon then absolutely obliterates her in a fit of rage and hell breaks loose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The arc will be interrupted by a two-week delay so Abaddon can get Solomon's Enel-face exactly right.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
suddenly-appearing foot wrap prana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Incubus is angling to not fight Allison at all. Why would he? She’s his weapon. He wants her to be dependent on him when she conquers the universe.

I think that his fight is ultimately with Maya and possibly Allison and Incubus aren’t actually going to come into direct conflict more than in Yre, which was already an Incubus-heavy book.

He can be the Real Final Boss in a sense while also never being directly punched, because he’s Allison’s near-literal shoulder devil. We’ll see how he ends up, but I hope he sticks around through the climax.