Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm already excited about the joint cheifs of staff Lovecraftian tabletop roleplay sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

Any reform that doesn't start with something dramatic such as disarming the police and working from there isn't serious.

Just going down the list:
1. End broken windows policing - pablum
2. Community oversight - and I'd like a pony
3. Limit use for force - oh hey, finally getting somewhere but it's #3 for some reason
4. Independently investigate & prosecute - I'd like to amend my previous request and would prefer 2 ponies
5. Community representation - ?????????
6. Body cams/Film the police - tried that
7. Training - pablum
8. End for-profit policing - nonsense
9. Demilitarization - why is this #9?
10. Fair police union contracts - ??????????

So we wind up with 2 pablums (well actually like 7 of them), 2 ???????'s, 2 ponies, 2 good ideas, something that has demonstrably failed to work, and a nonsense.

Any reform that doesn't start with something dramatic will never work! Anyway these reforms are too dramatic and would never work

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Lee Fang and Virgil Texas are getting married

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it would legit own if he popped out at crooked media with his own milquetoast interview show

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Police unions, qualified immunity, drug decriminalization

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Crane Fist posted:

Any reform that doesn't start with something dramatic will never work! Anyway these reforms are too dramatic and would never work

pablum means the opposite of dramatic

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

bartlebee posted:

Chapo thread what happened to Virgil?

He dead.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
virgil just went out to buy a pack of whippets, im sure he'll be back in time for my birthday next year :smith:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

pablum means the opposite of dramatic

Oh cool thanks for letting us know, maybe check back in once you've read and deciphered the other eight things on the list

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

He has completed his chapo-to-fash pipeline transformation, and will be announced as the new wh press sec next week. I look forward to Virgil leading us towards the MAGA wunderland while owning the libs.

i bet he will last at least 2.5 scaramuccis

sam hyde's final trick

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

you're not making a distinction between dramatic and unworkable.

as long as something like the LAPD remains as is, with a 1.8 billion dollar budget, there's no level of "community oversight" that could actually have an effect on them. they already use that money to fund terror campaigns on politicians who even consider threatening them, they would demolish anyone else.

so when a list of demands starts with "Defund the LAPD", that actually means something, and isn't just some poo poo the cops can pretend to do and then ignore. you actually have to suggest things that will hurt them, and nothing on derays list actually hurts the functioning of their organized crime

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

you're not making a distinction between dramatic and unworkable.

as long as something like the LAPD remains as is, with a 1.8 billion dollar budget, there's no level of "community oversight" that could actually have an effect on them. they already use that money to fund terror campaigns on politicians who even consider threatening them, they would demolish anyone else.

We can pick any one thing from the list and say it would do nothing and that would be true, the thing is to have any effect we would need to do all of them, at once

Honestly I'm not that wedded to the list, it sucks in a lot of ways, and the only reason I seem to be defending it is because RR came at it from a deeply weird angle because of his bad brain

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel I should clarify: I personally believe the only truly effective police reform is the kind accomplished by Chris Dorner

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You have to abolish police as we have them and reconstruct a newer public servants model that basically turns social workers from private contractors with government funding into government employees and reorient the system to put social service workers and caregivers into way more scenarios that police normally handle.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Hidden is a really fun movie and I saw it last year and everyone should go watch it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Crane Fist posted:

Oh cool thanks for letting us know, maybe check back in once you've read and deciphered the other eight things on the list

7 out of 10 you idiot YOU SUCK

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

I feel I should clarify: I personally believe the only truly effective police reform is the kind accomplished by Chris Dorner

dont get this thread banned

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Crane Fist posted:

Crane Fist posted:

We can pick any one thing from the list and say it would do nothing and that would be true, the thing is to have any effect we would need to do all of them, at once

Honestly I'm not that wedded to the list, it sucks in a lot of ways, and the only reason I seem to be defending it is because RR came at it from a deeply weird angle because of his bad brain

Crane Fist posted:

You’re a loving moron

THS
Sep 15, 2017

love to have incoherent, confused politics

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Sooo yeah end qualified immunity, undo police unions stranglehold on everything, and decriminalize most drugs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

UP AND ADAM posted:

Sooo yeah end qualified immunity, undo police unions stranglehold on everything, and decriminalize most drugs

Actually abolish the police tho

Like de-powering, de-funding, and de-militarize gets a bunch of racists still leaves you with a bunch of racists at the core. You need to start from scratch

THS
Sep 15, 2017

abolish the police, build a new emergency response paradigm from the ground up - should be the maximalist demand, and we should try to push for that. the minimum compromise is disarming them

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has Chapo ever done a show on Andrew Sullivan?

Will was clowning on him earlier because some NYT writers got mad that their paper gave prime editorial real estate to Tom Cotton's declaration of war on brown americans. And of course Sully considers that a coup of the evil PC mafia against Freedom of speech.

Good lord, that racist, feckless social alpinist should have been ejected from the public discourse the moment he first boosted 'The Bell Curve' in an ostensibly progressive magazine. I gave up on Obama the moment he announced his cabinet, but when he invited Sully over to the WH after dismantling his own movement was when I understood that the party itself was a sham.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Chapo to fash pipeline is just unstoppable

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1268558753756000262

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The way matt broke down on stream really hit me in the gut. :smith:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

bartlebee posted:

Chapo thread what happened to Virgil?

word on the street is 'extreme drug frenzy radio silence'

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

love to have incoherent, confused politics

It's 2020 welcome to the left

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

word on the street is 'extreme drug frenzy radio silence'

Antifa Super Soldier Training Camp in Afghanistan.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My baseless speculation RE the disappearance of Virgil Texas is that he is incapacitated by extreme anxiety brought on by the crushing defeat of Bernie Sanders, the coronavirus pandemic, and his four-pod-a-day lifestyle.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The actor who plays Virgil is holding out for a bigger cut of the patreon money before he comes back for the next season.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

My baseless speculation RE the disappearance of Virgil Texas is that he is incapacitated by extreme anxiety brought on by the crushing defeat of Bernie Sanders, the coronavirus pandemic, and his four-pod-a-day lifestyle.

I mean, he hasn't tweeted since March. So yeah, he probably burned out and is on sabbatical.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

You’re a loving moron

and you're a blubbering little baby furiously dismissing any tiny scrap of police reform as unworkable, "I want a pony" pablum, so where do we go from here Secretary Clinton

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

police reform doesn't work because it is reliant on the police enforcing laws against themselves. nearly all the poo poo they do is already illegal, but a combination of refusal to investigate and refusal to prosecute makes it meaningless. the entire institution needs to be scrapped, the culture of it scrapped, and to be replaced with something community and rehabilitation focused.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

I still think rehab

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

police reform doesn't work because it is reliant on the police enforcing laws against themselves. nearly all the poo poo they do is already illegal, but a combination of refusal to investigate and refusal to prosecute makes it meaningless. the entire institution needs to be scrapped, the culture of it scrapped, and to be replaced with something community and rehabilitation focused.

Absolutely correct and that's the project but right now I would totally settle for demilitarization simply because once we take their guns away they'll automatically be killing less people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I still think rehab

For gaming, I presume

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
virgil is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDdbiKQTE-w

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Antifa Super Soldier Training Camp in Afghanistan.

Hayes Valley in SF does have a set of monkeybars...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

For gaming, I presume

Obviously Chapo's culture of rampant cocaine abuse gets in the way of Virgil's recovery from FFXI addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Will getting the vapors right about now.

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268616519908352003?s=20