Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

They allegedly designed 8th Ed books to be compatible with 9th. And SM are a newer book.

That said, points are being adjusted, new phases are being added, there’s likely a ton more changes... and I don’t see how the current codexes can really work with the next edition.

There’s going to basically be giant erratas and faqs at launch for every book.

Kind of? I mean i'm sure there will be errata and faqs, but unit stats, relics, strats probably by and large don't change, so everyone has the rules for their troops, they just need the new stuff to build their list with points and detachments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gently caress yeah i love space weirdos

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jassi007 posted:

If you look, the Battalion costs 3cp. So your Warlord gives you +3 cp and that offsets the cost. So all detachments have a cost, and having a warlord in one likely negates the cost. I suspect that works for things like Knights who won't have a battalion so whatever a super heavy detachment costs having your Knight Warlord refunds that same cost, so 5 knights can be in a detachment at zero CP cost.

But they specify early in the article that you only get the Warlord refund for "Core" detachments....ie, your Warlord has to be in a Patrol, Battalion, or Brigade. If you stick your Warlord in a Vanguard, you don't get the Vanguard for free.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

jng2058 posted:

But they specify early in the article that you only get the Warlord refund for "Core" detachments....ie, your Warlord has to be in a Patrol, Battalion, or Brigade. If you stick your Warlord in a Vanguard, you don't get the Vanguard for free.

Understood, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that Knights just don't get the short end of the stick. Maybe there is a new core detachment specifically for them or something, who knows.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Knights shouldn't be an army. Hth.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
I would think that they're going to start rolling out codexes fairly soon. 8th and PA seems to be making a pile of money and 40k seems more popular than ever. I don't know if they'll be as fast as with 8th, but I would imagine that regular codex/campaign book releases like we've had sinth 8th dropped will be the new normal

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Understood, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that Knights just don't get the short end of the stick. Maybe there is a new core detachment specifically for them or something, who knows.

Presumably they'll modify the Knight Lance rule to that effect.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm digging the weird poo poo in the art.

I wish they'd do some more named Knights with associated pilot minis for both the standard and FW lines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I want the mushroom broccoli man and machine gun unicorn ogre ASAP.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gimme the mushroom men

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Funzo posted:

Once 9e hits, it's still going to be a little while before any new codex books hit right? Or are they going to release new ones for whatever is in the box set right away? I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the current SM codex or not.

There was some speculation a few pages back. With respect to Necrons, they're getting a bunch of new units, they're in the starter box, and their old codex was dated and bad upon its release. Presumably they'll get a new one.

For Space Marines, GW has to choose between two bad choices.

A new codex would mean three Space Marine codex releases in just a little over three years. That's bad. The other option, I think, is worse.

That being not having a new Space Marine codex to go with a new edition. That would mean that, when oodles of new/returning people show up to buy into the new edition, they're told to go buy: the Space Marine Codex, the Psychic Awakening Book, and then they still won't actually have any of the rules for the new models. So bring data cards for whatever's in the new starter box. Oh, and also, those books they just bought are out of date and both subject to substantial FAQs to get them working in the new edition, so make sure to cross reference everything you read in those books against the FAQ and bring the FAQ with you whenever you play, along with all that other stuff.

But, the bottom line is: do not buy a codex now. Whatever GW chooses, they've said in 9th the codex will come with a code that allows access to their new army builder app (a fact which suggests GW will be printing new marine codices with modified contents).

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

jassi007 posted:

If you look, the Battalion costs 3cp. So your Warlord gives you +3 cp and that offsets the cost. So all detachments have a cost, and having a warlord in one likely negates the cost. I suspect that works for things like Knights who won't have a battalion so whatever a super heavy detachment costs having your Knight Warlord refunds that same cost, so 5 knights can be in a detachment at zero CP cost.

The quote in the article makes it sound like the Warlord CP refund only applies to "core" detachments (Patrol, Battalion, and Brigades only). So if you want to take only a Vanguard detachment for example, it sounds like you'll start out with less CP than someone taking just a Battalion because you presumably wouldn't get the Warlord refund. I like it personally, it at least still incentivizes one to bring Troops.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Are orks any good? I've never felt the urge to paint them, but of all the 40k armies they're calling to me the most right now

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Presumably they'll modify the Knight Lance rule to that effect.

I expect that'll be something like making the super-heavy detachment free if your knight warlord is in it.

It also opens the door for some interesting fluff-appropriate combos in later codexes. Imagine Belial or Deathwing Masters getting a rule that refunds the cost of a Vanguard detachment if they're the warlord in it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

the moose posted:

Also looks like you might get command points based on what detachment your warlord is in. It looked like it said +3 cp if your warlord was in a battalion.

I wonder if this means that those warscroll groups from AOS that give bonus if you have certain units in them will be be coming to 40k.

This still looks like right now that a bunch of armies will be dropping some troops choices unless the missions and/or other rules incentivise you to take them a bit more. Lots of armies that run dual battalions can easily fit into one, and if you desperately need another HQ choice or whatever, if the cost is like 1 or 2 CP you're going to get that back on the first couple of turns anyway.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Are orks any good? I've never felt the urge to paint them, but of all the 40k armies they're calling to me the most right now

In the twilight of 8th they're middle of the pack-ish. You can be surprisingly effective with massed Mek Guns, and a max Boyz list can be effective against armies who aren't specced for anti-horde. This works especially well against small, elite armies like certain Marine builds where you can just drown them in bodies. But against armies that do have a lot of anti-infantry shooting, massed Boyz can struggle. Gunline Guard or Tau, for instance, can be a Ork's worst nightmare.

We're also hampered by the fact that the Ork Psychic Awakening book came out in the early days of COVID Nurgle, so no one's really had a chance to see how the new stuff from that book has changed things. Ghaz in particular looks insanely difficult to kill, but is he too expensive for what he brings? No one knows, because barely anyone's had a chance to play with his new rules. :shrug:

But as with everything 40k right now, who knows what will happen when 9th hits in a couple of months?

Some of the general trends in 9th edition are kind of against you, though. Tanks still being able to shoot while tied up in melee hurts you as an assault army more than it helps you, as does Blast weapons being more effective against hordes....Orks are the premiere horde army, after all!

On the other hand, things like Overwatch being nerfed and Morale being more important help you out, the former because you're an assault army, the latter because as long as you have enough Boyz left, you ignore Morale entirely.

So ultimately, we can't know for sure until 9th hits, and even then it will probably keep changing as new codexes are released and things get improved or nerfed through FAQs and points re-jiggering. So maybe Orks will be good for awhile then suck for awhile then be great for awhile. If they call to you, just go for it. It'll be worth it in the long run if you enjoy playing the army, whether the meta is in your favor or not at any given point in time.

If you do decide to go green, maybe start small and try out the new Crusade rules that 9th is introducing where you start with a small 500 point army and gradually grow it. That sounds like a fun way to get things going.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 4, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

This still looks like right now that a bunch of armies will be dropping some troops choices unless the missions and/or other rules incentivise you to take them a bit more. Lots of armies that run dual battalions can easily fit into one, and if you desperately need another HQ choice or whatever, if the cost is like 1 or 2 CP you're going to get that back on the first couple of turns anyway.

I can see factions like Guard or Nids having a good incentive to still run 6 troops under a Brigade. They can unlock lots of unit slots without paying the CP premium for Vanguards or Spearheads.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

xtothez posted:

Looks like they brought power levels in line with points too, at an simpler 1:10 ratio.

Not quite. The Total Power Level is from both players. So It would be 25 vs 25 for a 500 point game .

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Thinking about picking up one of those fancy Sisters of Battle boxes and getting back into stuff over my upcoming holiday time since I'll no longer be able to travel.

Do we have a timeframe for 9th edition? It'd be nice to not have a whole lot of stuff in it be useless if I do buy one.

The sisters box has a lot of good stuff, but hold off on building the P. engine because you can convert it into a Mortifier/Anchorite which is just better.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not quite. The Total Power Level is from both players. So It would be 25 vs 25 for a 500 point game .

Is that posted somewhere? I can see "total" being used to clarify the combined PL of an army as opposed to a per unit PL cap.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

I can see factions like Guard or Nids having a good incentive to still run 6 troops under a Brigade. They can unlock lots of unit slots without paying the CP premium for Vanguards or Spearheads.

True but those are hoarde armies anyway, and the one slot that would limit the guard (heavy support) is irrelevant thanks to the fact they are taken in vehicle squadrons.

I guess what you may see is less tank commander spam, but then again if a brigade has 5 HW slots, so you can take two company commanders and three tank commanders in a brigade along with the 6 troops minimum, and you could theoretically still take 15 leman russes/basilisks.

Nids I can see with lots of troops unless the monster and terrain changes make the godzilla style nid lists come back, in which case I'd expect some bare minimum troops and just loads of monsters.

Orks would be another one where the troops are worth taking en mass but then I also remember that the Nob Biker list was insanely powerful and that took bare minimum troops.

No idea how its going to work out with the other rules, but ObSec alone isn't enough to see 6 decent troops units on the table top for a lot of armies i feel.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Contingency posted:

Is that posted somewhere? I can see "total" being used to clarify the combined PL of an army as opposed to a per unit PL cap.

It's the footnote in the article.

My guess is PL will look like TV in blood bowl. If I have a PL of 80 and you have a PL of 50 we can still play, but you get some extra stuff to balance the sides. Crusade works like that already and it really fits with the idea new players can buy whatever and play against their friends because you balance out the game rather than telling someone to buy more models because a GK strike squad box is worth 3 times a guardsmen box.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
gently caress Cops, and gently caress bigots in this hobby.

https://www.goonhammer.com/echoing-calls-for-justice-in-our-community/

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Kitchner posted:

It's the footnote in the article.

My guess is PL will look like TV in blood bowl. If I have a PL of 80 and you have a PL of 50 we can still play, but you get some extra stuff to balance the sides. Crusade works like that already and it really fits with the idea new players can buy whatever and play against their friends because you balance out the game rather than telling someone to buy more models because a GK strike squad box is worth 3 times a guardsmen box.

Missed that, thanks!

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Maneck posted:

Best option might just be to release a new codex and give everyone access to the digital rules on the app for free. Or everyone who has the current codex access for free.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Maneck posted:

There was some speculation a few pages back. With respect to Necrons, they're getting a bunch of new units, they're in the starter box, and their old codex was dated and bad upon its release. Presumably they'll get a new one.

A new codex would mean three Space Marine codex releases in just a little over three years. That's bad. The other option, I think, is worse.

That being not having a new Space Marine codex to go with a new edition. That would mean that, when oodles of new/returning people show up to buy into the new edition, they're told to go buy: the Space Marine Codex, the Psychic Awakening Book, and then they still won't actually have any of the rules for the new models. So bring data cards for whatever's in the new starter box. Oh, and also, those books they just bought are out of date and both subject to substantial FAQs to get them working in the new edition, so make sure to cross reference everything you read in those books against the FAQ and bring the FAQ with you whenever you play, along with all that other stuff.

But, the bottom line is: do not buy a codex now. Whatever GW chooses, they've said in 9th the codex will come with a code that allows access to their new army builder app (a fact which suggests GW will be printing new marine codices with modified contents).

I'm thinking at this point I'll end up just waiting to see what they're actually going to launch. The new box set will probably be pretty tempting.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Definitely want to get some necrons and try out Metallic + Contrast. I've seen a few attempts and they look cool!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kitchner posted:

Nids I can see with lots of troops unless the monster and terrain changes make the godzilla style nid lists come back, in which case I'd expect some bare minimum troops and just loads of monsters.

😅 I picked a bad time to start Bugs.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Definitely want to get some necrons and try out Metallic + Contrast. I've seen a few attempts and they look cool!

It looks great on smaller areas, but i'd be hesitant to do it on large, flat areas.

Here's an example i have for your reference though:

The red on the metal parts is Blood Angels Red contrast over Leadbelcher. It works great for a lot of other colors too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Somberbrero posted:

build what looks cool, metas shift often enough that some versatility in army comp is always a good thing

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Improbable Lobster posted:

build what looks cool, metas shift often enough that some versatility in army comp is always a good thing

I wanted to post basically this. There was a debate a few pages back on buying Primaris vs. Small marines, and here in the past few pages we've had questions on the viability of orcs and sisters. At the end of the day though, you should just buy and build what you think looks cool or what army style you want to play. The meta changes all the time, and generally speaking you can build a pretty good list out of any codex that will keep you in most casual games.

The biggest things to watch out for are mostly focused around the GW release cycle. Now would be a bad time to buy a codex or invest in the 8th ed rules because 9th is around the corner. Also a bad time to get necrons because new models are coming so you'll probably want the cool new sculpts. You're very safe buying sisters stuff because it just got a refresh so these are the models you'll get for a while. Probably not a great time to buy a ton of small marines because Primaris are taking over, but smalls still have options that primaris lack, so maybe you want a few? Figuring this crap out is like the game within the game because it's not exactly written in blood across the GW website.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I do think there are a few truisms when it comes to 40k. Marines are the most popular army and will always have the most options and updates, and they'll always be somewhat competitive as a result. More niche armies like Sisters/tyranids/necrons will have some viable ways to win, but tend to get fewer options and models just based on market demands. Not as many people play them avidly, so they just don't get the same level of attention.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Is the thing in the top left a reference to the Astartes fan video?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is a very good question actually.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Its entirely possible its a reference but also baleful floating space orbs aren't exactly an uncommon thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SteelMentor posted:

This and past comments combine to a pattern of being chuddy in public, too.

:smugissar:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

It's the only moral faction in the game, so you'll always have that.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

SteelMentor posted:

This cannot be overstated.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Jumpoff posted:

It looks great on smaller areas, but i'd be hesitant to do it on large, flat areas.

Here's an example i have for your reference though:

The red on the metal parts is Blood Angels Red contrast over Leadbelcher. It works great for a lot of other colors too.

That looks awesome!

For necrons I'd probably be very lazy and leave them silver and then do shoulderpads or heads or something in one color and then give it a second highlight color to go on the other like gold or white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gameko posted:

I wanted to post basically this. There was a debate a few pages back on buying Primaris vs. Small marines, and here in the past few pages we've had questions on the viability of orcs and sisters. At the end of the day though, you should just buy and build what you think looks cool or what army style you want to play. The meta changes all the time, and generally speaking you can build a pretty good list out of any codex that will keep you in most casual games.

The biggest things to watch out for are mostly focused around the GW release cycle. Now would be a bad time to buy a codex or invest in the 8th ed rules because 9th is around the corner. Also a bad time to get necrons because new models are coming so you'll probably want the cool new sculpts. You're very safe buying sisters stuff because it just got a refresh so these are the models you'll get for a while. Probably not a great time to buy a ton of small marines because Primaris are taking over, but smalls still have options that primaris lack, so maybe you want a few? Figuring this crap out is like the game within the game because it's not exactly written in blood across the GW website.

To be fair the small marines thing is a little different as I suspect the small marines are going to be got rid of over a couple of years. Also I honestly think the primaris marines look much more like space marines in terms of scale. You may say "all models get replaced eventually" and that's true, but one day the earth will explode too. Intercessors are unlikely to go anywhere probably before this website shuts down, tactical squads though may realistically disappear in the next couple of years.