Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe if they move to Catalonia they'll finally make a system to break up all those big blobs.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'm just appreciating that they decided to move their era of colonization game studio to Spain of all places.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm just appreciating that they decided to move their era of colonization game studio to Spain of all places.

*the Crown of Aragon

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's a good move by Paradox, there's a lot of talent for Alt History around there:

Catalonia pays €3m to firms linked to theory Shakespeare was Catalan

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Should have moved to Lisbon.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Seville, TBH.

For the Andalucia trade node.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-sign-collective-bargaining-agreement-with-labor-unions/

Explains the new studio :tinfoil:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I came to post that, that sure is some timing.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
The timing is certainly a bit suspicious. It would line up with some of the stranger business decisions Paradox has made lately. Remember that outsourced Stellaris mobile game fiasco?

I hope there's nothing to it and they are really just expanding to make better products, but it seems like something to keep an eye on. We'll know something is up if loads of people suddenly get laid off in Sweden due to "Corona-related economic trouble" while this project stays up.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Relevant: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1268202107267579905

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
That's promising. I hope it's not just the PR people saying that. You'd know better that me, at any rate.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah union membership is pretty much taken for granted in Sweden. People are generally surprised if someone is not in a union. This may be somewhat different in software/tech, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah union membership is pretty much taken for granted in Sweden. People are generally surprised if someone is not in a union. This may be somewhat different in software/tech, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

From what I understand tech and games in particular are sort of outliers in Sweden when it comes to union membership. A combination of being fairly new and also being more international, with people coming in from different work cultures. Something like 80% of the private sector in Sweden is unionized and has Collective Agreements. There's enough stuff like the union's unemployment insurance paying out a significantly higher amount than the state's that even center and center-right people are union members because it is such a no-brainer.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Goons want to be skeptical but all I have to say is congrats pdox employees, I'm sending solidarity in the form of unconditional upvotes on dev diaries.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I don't really get what the doom and gloom is over PDX employees securing good working conditions? Am I missing something?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fellblade posted:

I don't really get what the doom and gloom is over PDX employees securing good working conditions? Am I missing something?

Paradox Interactive, parent company of Paradox Development, announced a new studio in Spain to be headed by Johan and seemingly getting the EU series spun off to it. The concern is that it was spun off to avoid paying union wages for EU development.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fellblade posted:

Some companies respond to paying more to their employees by moving to places where they don't have to do that.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Spain is not exactly a low wages country (any more), and Barcelona wages are way above average within Spain.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Spain is not exactly a low wages country (any more), and Barcelona wages are way above average within Spain.

It's a low wages country for EU. I've worked in a company that worked for huge EU company that outsorced a lot of the work to us, guys from outside of EU. At some point they've decided to cut costs and moved their headquarters from a more wealthy country to Spain. In theory, they could buy out my company or other companies all over the world. But they explained to me that moving business inside of EU is comparatively easy and risk-free. So they cut a lot of old experienced professionals, some have relocated to Spain.

I guess Spain is considered the most "civilized" of the cheap EU and the cheapest of "civilized" EU, I don't see people moving their business to Hungary or Bulgaria.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We don't know why. I'm entirely happy to believe that after a decade or so of expansion, Paradox believed they've hit the limit of talent they can attract to Stockholm and want to set up a new office to widen their pool.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I seem to recall the idea of some PDXCON being held in Barcelona at some point after the 2017 one so I'm gonna choose to believe it's Johan's favourite vacation spot and he just convinced Paradox to just let him work from there.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Barcelona is really nice

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Look of given the choice to live in Stockholm or live on Barcelona, I'm going for Barcelona. The life rating is much higher there, makes attracting migration easier.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I went to Barcelona once, at the height of the tourist season, after spending like two weeks hiking and camping in rural southern France. And it culture-shocked me out of liking Barcelona.

Temperatures skyrocketed, all my friends just wanted to go sit on the packed beach shoulder-to-shoulder with everyone else, and the only good memory I have was some dish with crab legs and octopus.

I really wanted to hear catalan spoken because I'm a total nerd who plays mapgames but other than the subway announcements apparently Barcelona speaks english, russian, and german in that order.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That sounds like every mainstream touristy city in the Med. See one and you've seen all of them for the most part.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Johan was also a major stockholder at the PDX IPO and the stock has increased by 600 % since then, so I can understand if he wants enjoy his cash in southern europe, enjoy more than 2 weeks of summer and do his own thing in Barcelona.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

It's a low wages country for EU. I've worked in a company that worked for huge EU company that outsorced a lot of the work to us, guys from outside of EU. At some point they've decided to cut costs and moved their headquarters from a more wealthy country to Spain. In theory, they could buy out my company or other companies all over the world. But they explained to me that moving business inside of EU is comparatively easy and risk-free. So they cut a lot of old experienced professionals, some have relocated to Spain.

I guess Spain is considered the most "civilized" of the cheap EU and the cheapest of "civilized" EU, I don't see people moving their business to Hungary or Bulgaria.
Yeah I work for a company that bought a company in Austria, which had an office in Serbia, because they could have double the headcount there for the same amount of money. Now the office in Serbia keeps getting bigger because the company doesnt have to pay them as much but there are a lot of young talented and motivated people there that want to work for a global company. They all speak at least three languages and work hard so I think its a win-win, and I cant blame Paradox for opening an office in a more southerly city that has a different talent pool in a country with economic problems, that will be more attractive to for talent they want to hire to move to.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Johan's twitter has been about him having moved to spain for months so this also isn't much of a surprise.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's gonna be interesting when EU5 releases and everyone realizes Iberia has been buffed to be as ahistorically powerful as EU4 Sweden, while EU5 Sweden is a shadow of its former self.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hope Portugal can finally hold off Castile instead of just being BFFs

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's gonna be interesting when EU5 releases and everyone realizes Iberia has been buffed to be as ahistorically powerful as EU4 Sweden, while EU5 Sweden is a shadow of its former self.

A new Sweden-only random event where its brightest minds flee to Aragon. -50% monarch point generation for 1000 years

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But Iberia is already insanely overpowered so this will be terrifying.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Only Aragon will get huge bonuses and only is they stay separate from Castile.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As a Catalan nation, we have many bonuses...

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Ethiser posted:

Only Aragon will get huge bonuses and only is they stay separate from Castile.

As a weirdo who loves playing Aragon I’m all for it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

only if they grab gonder

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But Iberia is already insanely overpowered so this will be terrifying.

Iberia isn't overpowered, North Africa is just disastrously underpowered and ahistorically welcoming to large armies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Iberia isn't overpowered, North Africa is just disastrously underpowered and ahistorically welcoming to large armies.
Good point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't forget Granada. Imagine Granada lasting against a player Castile to 1492. Imagine it lasting to 1492 against an AI Castile in more than 1/100 games.

Hell imagine Portugal not being PU'd by a player Castile by 1492, or ever revolting from a PU with Spain.

I've gotta stan Portugal for a second, they weren't just Castile's best pal forever, they were an active and ferocious opponent and should be able to compete with the shitshow that is Castile on the ground in 1444. Castile should be scared of Portugal invading them. And hell there should probably be an alternate Iberian Wedding where it's Castile and Portugal.

Granada, the Maghreb, Portugal, Scotland, Ireland, and a whole lot of other places would really benefit from being able to actually fight defensively instead of what happens in EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Two things I'd really like to see fixed in a future title: armies marching across whole continents with unlimited reinforcements and every conflict ending up as a hellwar to the bitter end. I'm not really sure how you fix that problem though. Maybe with a more complicated supply model and the AI somehow understanding attrition?