Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you love Colm you should watch the Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa movie.

Colm is a long suffering radio broadcaster who gets laid off, grabs a gun and takes his entire building hostage, while a bubbling self absorbed coworker is sent in to negotiate. It's hilarious and had real "O'Brien must suffer" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had to look up what Fenris Rangers is which led to me looking up Freecloud which led to me finding this:

quote:

Star Trek: Picard showrunner Michael Chabon described Freecloud as a "non-aligned Crypto Libertarian Pseudorepublic"

Remember when Star Trek had good writers?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do and they would have made it either a one-off themed planet that clashed with Federation values for an episode, or the Ferengi homeworld.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I had to look up what Fenris Rangers is which led to me looking up Freecloud which led to me finding this:

:lol: Star Trek never had good writers

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Intrepid would be prettier if it had longer nacelles. What is it with the lead ships (apart from the Defiant) of star trek shows having ugly short asses? The Defiant and the NX-01 look great but the Galaxy, Intrepid and Discovery ships look like someone sat on them.

My anaconda don't want none unless you got BUNS, hon!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the episode where Data talked about how violent rebellion was actually good and Picard was like "Data please dont learn this lesson right now"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the old school writers were often no better than the schmucks we have now, but the difference is that they were writing star trek.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the old school writers were often no better than the schmucks we have now, but the difference is that they were writing star trek.

Also they were pioneers in what was still largely unexplored territory, doing their best to come up with fresh ideas on a tight budget (and/or to map sci-fi concepts onto fairy tales and myths). The writers of the current show just printed out all the tropes from TVTropes and put them in a bingo tumbler.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: Star Trek never had good writers

No, but the sheer volume of episodes meant that some of it was bound to be enjoyable.

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

Applewhite posted:

Also they were pioneers in what was still largely unexplored territory, doing their best to come up with fresh ideas on a tight budget (and/or to map sci-fi concepts onto fairy tales and myths). The writers of the current show just printed out all the tropes from TVTropes and put them in a bingo tumbler.

We’ve reached the point where what used to be subversion of something like Star Trek is now the norm so instead of coming across as fresh and different it just becomes another dark and edgy wankfest in a pile of dark and edgy wankfests

We need more balance on TV and Movies

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, we're at the point where it would be very unexpected to see an episode like "arena" played straight.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

you want to know a little secret about chabon?

he's supposed to be the good one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

I really liked the Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and expected much much better from him.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Sounds like a Crypto-Fascist Pseudointellectual

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

piratepilates posted:

Whatever he may be good at, it isn't writing for television, that's for drat sure

Even if you just ignore the Star Trek angle, Picard is just a really poorly written plot in general.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

infernal machines posted:

Whatever he may be good at, it isn't writing for television, that's for drat sure

Even if you just ignore the Star Trek angle, Picard is just a really poorly written plot in general.

Well it is ripping off Mass Effect :grin:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I am still honestly baffled by Raffi getting all emotional and thanking Picard at the end, her life was terrible at the beginning of that story and it was actually marginally worse by the end of it, what was she thanking Picard for? Wasn't she initially upset with him because her association with him was what sent her life into a downward spiral to begin with? What the hell did he do for her over the course of those 10 episodes except get her to burn a whole friendship and send her deeper into the bottle?

Like this isn't a piece of Star Trek future history that they hosed up or a door label that they got wrong or something, it just straight-up doesn't make any sense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Well it is ripping off Mass Effect :grin:

I'm putting that on Kurtzman, given his penchant for ripping off anything he can if he thinks it's not popular enough to get caught.

Tighclops posted:

Like this isn't a piece of Star Trek future history that they hosed up or a door label that they got wrong or something, it just straight-up doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, there's a bunch of those. It's not an issue with the lore or anything, they just straight up abandon a bunch of plot threads the second they're no longer needed to get to the next REMEMBER THIS? set piece. If you were to write out the plot of the episodes along side the overarching plot it's super obvious where stuff just doesn't jive, and they didn't give a poo poo because they expect the audience to have the attention span of a mayfly.

It's about the characters, except not, because most of the characters don't make any sense or have consistent motivations. Mostly it's about setting up the characters to have weighty seeming emotional scenes that go nowhere and mean nothing, but sound important.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 4, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Makes me wonder if Phil Farrand watches Picard and writes about it. Probably still in shock from the swearing, if so.

e: or frantically rewriting his TNG books because Picard added new elements to The Canon

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I haven't read any of his books yet, I have no doubt that he is a talented writer in that medium. I can imagine the Picard scripts written by him were a tour de force, but what I saw on the screen was not a reflection of that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tighclops posted:

I am still honestly baffled by Raffi getting all emotional and thanking Picard at the end, her life was terrible at the beginning of that story and it was actually marginally worse by the end of it, what was she thanking Picard for? Wasn't she initially upset with him because her association with him was what sent her life into a downward spiral to begin with? What the hell did he do for her over the course of those 10 episodes except get her to burn a whole friendship and send her deeper into the bottle?

He did help prove that the insane conspiracy theory that she destroyed her life trying to prove was correct. That would probably be a big deal for her.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Oh god Raffi is basically a 9/11 truther who was proven correct and now her stupid liberal millennial son will have to grovel and apologize. :barf: It’s the ultimate boomer fantasy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Q-anon takes on rather a different meaning in the TNG universe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wait until next season where Bashir admits he was convinced by Starfleet security to develop a crypto-AIDS strain that affects synths and NOW PICARD HAS SPACE ROBOT AAAAIIIIIIIIDDS.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

He did help prove that the insane conspiracy theory that she destroyed her life trying to prove was correct. That would probably be a big deal for her.

Okay good thank you at least that's something! I mean her life is still a wreck but there is that.

Clark Nova posted:

Oh god Raffi is basically a 9/11 truther who was proven correct and now her stupid liberal millennial son will have to grovel and apologize. :barf: It’s the ultimate boomer fantasy

Oh goddamn it now I can't unsee that

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
holy lol

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268616519908352003

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lmaaaaaooooo

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain, I’m detecting...hostility

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deanna Troi said LMM sux say it back

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268624505628291072?s=19

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I hold this savage Cockney in the highest esteem.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lin Manuel's tweet was deleted. What did he say?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

nothing that matters, just pointless platitudes about the current BLM protests without actually saying anything.

I'll give an artistic rendition without looking it up:

Be positive
Remain kind and good
The world is an oyster
My name is Manuel and I'm here to say
I'm going to rap in a real lame way
Let the goodness be embraced

some poo poo like that, instead of anything actual helpful to anyone, just the usual.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"Hamilton" loving sucks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hamilton is music for people who think webcomics matter

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No, but the sheer volume of episodes meant that some of it was bound to be enjoyable.

lol remember when internet snobs would be all "heh, now that we are in the ~*golden age of television*~, no longer shackled by the tyrannical constraints of old customs like making over 20 episodes a season or having to start shows in the fall, writers will have the time needed to artisanally craft the most elegant serial plot arcs ever seen :lofty:"

and then they just loving kept making poo poo up at the last minute like always, only now that they have so many fewer episodes they can't ever let the show slow down long enough to let the characters breathe and possibly accidentally charm the audience

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like, goddamn, do any of the Discovery or Picard characters have hobbies? have they ever been shown to play games (chess, space racquetball, fizzbin) with each other?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They drink/do space drugs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

someone posted an image in another thread, so if you're really curious:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 5, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

so inspiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when internet snobs would be all "heh, now that we are in the ~*golden age of television*~, no longer shackled by the tyrannical constraints of old customs like making over 20 episodes a season or having to start shows in the fall, writers will have the time needed to artisanally craft the most elegant serial plot arcs ever seen :lofty:"

and then they just loving kept making poo poo up at the last minute like always, only now that they have so many fewer episodes they can't ever let the show slow down long enough to let the characters breathe and possibly accidentally charm the audience

And because everything must be serialized, if your plot sucks the entire season is tied to that particular millstone.