Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What poker chips do you guys like to use? Does anyone have a preference? I'm kicking myself a bit for not going in on the iron clays KS because looking them over now they appear quite gorgeous and the ones I've got in Brass and Brass Birm are lovely.

I've just been using some average ones I grabbed off kijiji for a low price that have a decent weight to them and aren't total garbage. You know the kind - they come in that texas hold 'em metallic case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

You know the kind - they come in that texas hold 'em metallic case.

Those are good enough for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

What poker chips do you guys like to use? Does anyone have a preference? I'm kicking myself a bit for not going in on the iron clays KS because looking them over now they appear quite gorgeous and the ones I've got in Brass and Brass Birm are lovely.

I've just been using some average ones I grabbed off kijiji for a low price that have a decent weight to them and aren't total garbage. You know the kind - they come in that texas hold 'em metallic case.

You understand that it depends on the use right? The sexy answer for 18xx'ers is unmarked. But unmarked are a pain in the butt for more casual gamers, so then you have to have the marked ones as well. This is probably the definitive poker chip discussion on BGG.

This is the marked set I use.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That's a sharp looking set. I've been wanting to upgrade my chips. If that were a 1000 set, I'd jump in right now.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I used to use Eclipse chips, then switched to Majestics and have been using them since, just better in every way for me (https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/majestic-blank-poker-chips/).

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I just got a box of Roxley Iron Clays. They're gorgeous.

https://iron-clays-and-spades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 4, 2020

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

BR Pro Poker will do semi-custom sets of ceramic chips if you want denominations without currency signs, or no denominations, or something more exotic. They're very nice.

Cool Ranch
Sep 20, 2001
Nap Ghost
I JUST got the larger Iron Clays set the other day also, since I liked my original smaller set so much.

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=IronClays200,

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I have a set of Apache Majestics as well. I like the side designs on the Royals but didn't like that they're a slightly larger size than standard chips.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

A buddy of mine got a set of generic-style poker chips (the set that's red/green/white/blue/black) ... but mini and made out of vinyl. They're roughly the size of a nickel each. At first I was skeptical but then we played a couple of games with them and they're great. They don't slide around, they're not a big heavy thing that anyone has to haul, and they don't take up half of the table.

I think he bought them off of Etsy from a 3d print farm. (as in, the etsy person bought the chips from somewhere else and sold them with a 3d printed case)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Frozen Peach posted:

I just got a box of Roxley Iron Clays. They're gorgeous.

https://iron-clays-and-spades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I have two of these sets and yeah, they're awesome

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

What's you all's favorite solo game that uses a bot or bot equivalent? I'm not looking for puzzle-ly type solo games like Cloudspire but something closer to what would be a more than one person experience. Thanks for any suggestions.

Viticulture has a really good solo mode, IMO. Anything by the automa factory went on my radar after trying it. Their core concept of "it's not necessary (and it's wasteful) to try to automate entire other players, you only need to automate how that player interacts with you to deliver the experience" is visionary.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CommonShore posted:

A buddy of mine got a set of generic-style poker chips (the set that's red/green/white/blue/black) ... but mini and made out of vinyl. They're roughly the size of a nickel each. At first I was skeptical but then we played a couple of games with them and they're great. They don't slide around, they're not a big heavy thing that anyone has to haul, and they don't take up half of the table.

I think he bought them off of Etsy from a 3d print farm. (as in, the etsy person bought the chips from somewhere else and sold them with a 3d printed case)

I think I I use these, they're available on discountpokershop.com ($3/50?) if you don't want the etsy case. Very good for carrying around, at home I might use them or might use the dice chips.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I liked the Iron Clays so much I ended up buying the 400 set with the wooden box. It just came last week and I am very happy with it. I am going to keep my two smaller boxes to hot swap different chip combinations for transport.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The Eyes Have It posted:

Viticulture has a really good solo mode, IMO. Anything by the automa factory went on my radar after trying it. Their core concept of "it's not necessary (and it's wasteful) to try to automate entire other players, you only need to automate how that player interacts with you to deliver the experience" is visionary.

I also like Wingspan's solo mode! I never did try Scythe's.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Working through Viticulture's solo "campaign" mode made me really get familiar with the game on a level deeper than I had thought it possessed. I nearly prevailed against the resident board games rain man (came down to a tie breaker, and the runners up weren't even close) which I'm counting as a win anyway :ssh:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Interesting. My wife and I have probably played Viticulture/Tuscany 25 times or so but I’d never even contemplated trying solo- I figured it was just tacked on. Maybe I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Working through Viticulture's solo "campaign" mode made me really get familiar with the game on a level deeper than I had thought it possessed. I nearly prevailed against the resident board games rain man (came down to a tie breaker, and the runners up weren't even close) which I'm counting as a win anyway :ssh:

I'm curious what you've learned from playing solo. I enjoy viticulture and we've played it a ton but we recently played a game of it and I walked away feeling like I ate a handful of popcorn. I forgot to try and set up a miniature market row for orders and grapes but the entire experience was just so random and swingy and with a lot of pre-programmed decisions that I think the game might be too shallow for us now. It survives on its theme and the fact it was one of the first games we picked up getting into the hobby.

I think the one thing that might make the game more cutthroat is really playing on a knife's edge with order cards and timing the aging of your grapes perfectly to capitalise on the orders the second they're ready. As it stands I think the game is loose enough to reward you maxing out workers round over round and just spamming all the different combinations you can so that mid-late game you can just drain the order deck dry fishing for the best/most applicable orders.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The solo campaign is a series of eight (I think) "challenges" that you play with the automa as an opponent, or pace car, or whatever. Each one focuses on a different angle of play, and it's things like "win before your opponent, but you cannot fill wine orders (or can't use visitors, or whatever.)"

YMMV but I felt that it really forced me to learn the ins and outs of the different point mechanisms, and get efficient about it. I used to think that the game's optimal strat was all about spamming new workers and visitor card combos to win (which I find dull and boring) but if you are focused enough, you may be surprised at how many points you can squeeze from the base (non-visitor-card) elements. When I tied the resident rain man (and we both left the rest of the players in the dust) I had -- partly to prove a point -- not used a single visitor card.

I suppose that the lessons I learned were the usual euro things, but specifically for Viticulture. It included things like how and when to anticipate and work around "crowded" actions (when it makes sense to stake your claim, and when it makes sense to let others duke it out and profit from doing the stuff others aren't) and squeezing every last drop of value out of any investments. Speaking of which, it's also about dialing in to the real cost of investmenting in... well, anything. For example, buying a new worker that you don't efficiently use before the end of the game is a tremendous waste. Not only do you lose the money, but you also lose the action of a worker that could have been used for something else. The game might feel like a chill sandbox, but when you're playing for keeps, EVERY action (or inaction) counts.

YMMV but it clicked for me. Also, like I said earlier it made me instantly pay attention to anything The Automa Factory touched from then on.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

nice viticulture post

The one thing I haven't been able to deal with, is find a strategy not involving getting at least two new workers. I don't always get the 6th - if the game is only lasting around 6 turns it's very easy to find it not worthwhile. But almost always I want my opening to be sell a field, get a worker, Grande a worker. Might vary a bit based on starting resources, turn order - get the 2nd worker turn 2. In the solo challenge you get a strong power to compensate for the lack of workers, but in the regular game you get a little tempo - say planting a turn earlier. I don't feel that's enough. Workers are definitely at their strongest in 3p with the open board, so I prefer 2p/4p (5+ have their own problems).

And then there's the Papa card that starts you with a worker! Since there are good/bad versions of each Papa card at first we only used the bad ones but have since done some tweaking (good point, bad worker, etc).

Still somehow it usually feels like the person who plays better wins and everybody has fun, so I'm always happy to play.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for puzzle games or (non-social) deduction games? So far, I've enjoyed Ricochet Robots, Cryptid, and Dimension. Any recommendations for games that are more like competitive puzzles than highly interactive strategy games?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

mellifluous posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for puzzle games or (non-social) deduction games? So far, I've enjoyed Ricochet Robots, Cryptid, and Dimension. Any recommendations for games that are more like competitive puzzles than highly interactive strategy games?

I haven't played it but Treasure Island sounds like something you might be into? SU&SD did a video on it. I think someone here played it and despised it though or at least was very unhappy with the experience but I always thought it looked really neat.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shipwreck Arcana and Zendo

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Hello. My name is OneSizeFitsAll and I have a board gaming problem.

There, that felt good. To carry on, to a possibly egotistical level of detail, albeit also a sort of introduction to the thread: I had the world of gaming opened up as a kid via HeroQuest, which led to Space Crusade, Space Hulk and a bit of Space Marine. Then I kind of veered away a bit, but it was always there as a latent interest.

10 years ago I bought WotR: Collector's Edition after seeing an advert for it by chance, but didn't play it due to not having the room in my flat. Then in the last couple of years we started playing a few games friends would bring round: Pandemic, Catan, Mysterium and others. This kind of rekindled the interest, and made me want to play that sweet WotR set. So we ordered a gaming table from Rathskellers, making sure it could accommodate WotR. It arrived in January - a very expensive but extraordinarily nice piece of furniture with superb detail. Shortly after we finally, after a decade, two house moves and the arrival of our two children, played WotR. My wife won 3 of the 4 games (though they were all close) and we both fell in love with it. Then came the monomania, the reading and watching videos about board games and the compulsive buying. Lockdown emphasised this new pursuit even further.

This our collection so far:

Played

• 7 Wonders Duel
  • Carcasonne
  • Catan
  • Dixit
  • Dominion
  • Forbidden Island
  • King Domino
  • Legacy of Dragonholt
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Mysterium
  • Patchwork
  • WotR: CE

Yet to Play

• 7 Wonders
  • Bärenpark
  • Eldritch Horror
  • Everdell
  • A Feast For Odin
  • Game of Thrones 2E
  • Lord of the Rings (the 2000 Reiner Knizia co-op)
  • Pandemic Legacy

Ordered

• Hansa Teutonica Big Box
  • Mage Knight Ultimate

Considering

• Architects/Paladins of the west kingdom
  • Castles of Mad King Ludwig
  • Caylus
  • Codenames Duet
  • Kemet
  • Spirit Island
  • Expansions for Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders Duel and A Feast For Odin

Generally I've tried to buy games that offer a gateway into a certain style (LoW for worker placement), then other thematically appealing options (Everdell) then more complicated ones to graduate to (AFFO; possibly Caylus). They generally need to work well with 2, as I mostly play with my wife, though games suitable for more are also desirable for post-lockdown (hence Hansa Teutonica, which I think looks fascinating).

Also I tried to cover a mix of lengths, depending on how knackered we are of an evening.

So with that out the way, hello again and may I take the liberty of throwing out a couple of questions:

1. A Feast For Odin - people in this thread seem to really like the Norwegians expansion. Bearing in mind we probably won't get to the game for a little while, is it worth using this expansion from the outset when we do get to it, or might it make the game more overwhelming for beginners? Also, is it likely to go out of print? I read about a possible big box, so I may consider holding out for that and selling my still shrinkwrapped base game.
2. The LoW expansions seem to be well reviewed. I know the base game is entry level and probably not played much by people in here, but for us relative noobs would people recommend the expansions, or just playing it a bit more then moving on to Everdell and then AFFO (and maybe Caylus)?
3. Kemet seems to be liked in this thread. I assume this would be a good choice for when we want a wargame but don't have time for WotR. Is this fair or are there any other games that might fit the bill? I believe there is a reprint of Kemet coming out soon so it's on my radar.
4. We love 7WD. Are the expansions any good?
5. We've only played a couple of games of Pandemic and not recently, so plan on following Legacy's suggestion of playing a couple of regular games before embarking on the Legacy games. I believe there are a few small differences between playing regular Pandemic with the Legacy set and a normal set, which make using the regulard Pandemic instructions in this situation inadvisable, but the Legacy instructions don't really separate out the rules for playing normal Pandemic either. Is there a recommended resource for doing this, or should I just slog through the Legacy instructions and make mental notes for what to not include?
5. How does the Reiner Knizia LotR co-op hold up?
7. Not that I really need more games right now, but any other recommendations based on our likes and buying patterns? Mage Knight is on my consideration list for more complex solo and maybe a bit of co-op play following on from Forbidden Island, Pandemic Legacy and Eldritch Horror (and Legacy of Dragonholt), Caylus for complicated worker placement but maybe not necessary with AFFO as well; Spirit Island seems a good bet for a more complicated co-op game. We have what seems to be the definitive deck builder in Dominion. Any suggestions for me to spunk more money on to facilitate my retail therapy and maybe cover some uncovered bases, or improve on what we have, are welcomed.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Hello. My name is OneSizeFitsAll and I have a board gaming problem.

There, that felt good. To carry on, to a possibly egotistical level of detail, albeit also a sort of introduction to the thread: I had the world of gaming opened up as a kid via HeroQuest, which led to Space Crusade, Space Hulk and a bit of Space Marine. Then I kind of veered away a bit, but it was always there as a latent interest.

10 years ago I bought WotR: Collector's Edition after seeing an advert for it by chance, but didn't play it due to not having the room in my flat. Then in the last couple of years we started playing a few games friends would bring round: Pandemic, Catan, Mysterium and others. This kind of rekindled the interest, and made me want to play that sweet WotR set. So we ordered a gaming table from Rathskellers, making sure it could accommodate WotR. It arrived in January - a very expensive but extraordinarily nice piece of furniture with superb detail. Shortly after we finally, after a decade, two house moves and the arrival of our two children, played WotR. My wife won 3 of the 4 games (though they were all close) and we both fell in love with it. Then came the monomania, the reading and watching videos about board games and the compulsive buying. Lockdown emphasised this new pursuit even further.

This our collection so far:

Played

• 7 Wonders Duel
  • Carcasonne
  • Catan
  • Dixit
  • Dominion
  • Forbidden Island
  • King Domino
  • Legacy of Dragonholt
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Mysterium
  • WotR: CE

Yet to Play

• 7 Wonders
  • Bärenpark
  • Eldritch Horror
  • Everdell
  • A Feast For Odin
  • Game of Thrones 2E
  • Lord of the Rings (the 2000 Reiner Knizia co-op)
  • Pandemic Legacy

Ordered

• Hansa Teutonica Big Box
  • Mage Knight Ultimate

Considering

• Castles of Mad King Ludwig
  • Caylus
  • Codenames Duet
  • Kemet
  • Spirit Island
  • Expansions for Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders Duel and A Feast For Odin

Generally I've tried to buy games that offer a gateway into a certain style (LoW for worker placement), then other thematically appealing options (Everdell) then more complicated ones to graduate to (AFFO; possibly Caylus). They generally need to work well with 2, as I mostly play with my wife, though games suitable for more are also desirable for post-lockdown (hence Hansa Teutonica, which I think looks fascinating).

Also I tried to cover a mix of lengths, depending on how knackered we are of an evening.

So with that out the way, hello again and may I take the liberty of throwing out a couple of questions:

1. A Feast For Odin - people in this thread seem to really like the Norwegians expansion. Bearing in mind we probably won't get to the game for a little while, is it worth using this expansion from the outset when we do get to it, or might it make the game more overwhelming for beginners? Also, is it likely to go out of print? I read about a possible big box, so I may consider holding out for that and selling my still shrinkwrapped base game.
2. The LoW expansions seem to be well reviewed. I know the base game is entry level and probably not played much by people in here, but for us relative noobs would people recommend the expansions, or just playing it a bit more then moving on to Everdell and then AFFO (and maybe Caylus)?
3. Kemet seems to be liked in this thread. I assume this would be a good choice for when we want a wargame but don't have time for WotR. Is this fair or are there any other games that might fit the bill? I believe there is a reprint of Kemet coming out soon so it's on my radar.
4. We love 7WD. Are the expansions any good?
5. We've only played a couple of games of Pandemic and not recently, so plan on following Legacy's suggestion of playing a couple of regular games before embarking on the Legacy games. I believe there are a few small differences between playing regular Pandemic with the Legacy set and a normal set, which make using the regulard Pandemic instructions in this situation inadvisable, but the Legacy instructions don't really separate out the rules for playing normal Pandemic either. Is there a recommended resource for doing this, or should I just slog through the Legacy instructions and make mental notes for what to not include?
5. How does the Reiner Knizia LotR co-op hold up?
7. Not that I really need more games right now, but any other recommendations based on our likes and buying patterns? Mage Knight is on my consideration list for more complex solo and maybe a bit of co-op play following on from Forbidden Island, Pandemic Legacy and Eldritch Horror (and Legacy of Dragonholt), Caylus for complicated worker placement but maybe not necessary with AFFO as well; Spirit Island seems a good bet for a more complicated co-op game. We have what seems to be the definitive deck builder in Dominion. Any suggestions for me to spunk more money on to facilitate my retail therapy and maybe cover some uncovered bases, or improve on what we have, are welcomed.

Welcome!

2. If you like LoW, the expansion is nice. Adds more of everything and one easily explained mechanic. Just throw the Open Lord intrigue card and the Beholder lord card in the box never to be seen again. THAT SAID, don't think you need to play intro games to a mechanic to play games you actually want to play. If you are interested in a game, jump straight to it.
3. Kemet, Inis, Root, and Forbidden Stars (out of print) are probably the best Dudes on a Map (DoaM) games for more than 2 players. Kemet has a kickstarter for a revised edition RIGHT NOW if you want to get a fresh edition.

5. Can't really play Pandemic with Pandemic Legacy box unless you want to make some small houserules. If you are interested in Pandemic Legay, just jump into it. The very first game is basically Pandemic, then more opens up.

7. I would suggest Caylus 1303 rather than Caylus. It does 85% of what Caylus wants to do but quicker and streamlined. Spirit Island is amazing.

Other than that, as someone who has spent way too much money, then sold a decent bit of stuff, I would say play what you have before buying more. Play everything at least two times and get a feel for what works for you and what does not. Use things like Tabletop Simulator, Tabletopia, and the array of online websites to try games before buying.

Also, this thread tends to trend much heavier than most board gaming bubbles. Don't be discouraged if your taste does not align.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Feast for Odin is perfectly fine without Norwegians but if I owned Norwegians (which I do) I would never play without it. You'd have to do research about the big box, I think Jedit knows a bit about what is or is not coming so he might chime in if he reads this. I doubt base Feast would go OOP and the same goes for the expansions but there are some mini ones that might be tricky to get.

Kemet is outstanding and what makes it great is that it is fast and pure murder and mayhem with lots of room for strategy. Because there is so much destruction going on it's tough for care-bears and sensitive types to take things personally and get misty-eyed when their poo poo gets wrecked by a giant scorpion. The reprint looks... questionable. Expensive and gimmicky. Unsure what the status on normal copies of the game of the other expansions is but I'd be shocked if they were difficult to track down.

I don't totally understand your Pandemic question but just read the legacy rulebook and check it frequently because there are changes like you said, and then there will be additions and modifications as you go on and it's easy to overlook or play something wrong if you're not paying attention.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mellifluous posted:

What about Tragedy Looper? It's a game where one person is a mastermind, trying to make bad things occur, and three players are protagonists, trying to stop bad things from occurring. Only they don't really know what the bad things are, so they have to deduce it based on a list of possible bad things, the actions of the NPCs on the board, and what the mastermind is doing to the areas and the NPCs to make the bad things happen.

I'm loving terrible at the game but it's really cool to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mellifluous posted:

Tragedy Looper was mentioned, but also consider Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go To The Ghost Town. TL has a much richer puzzle, but because of that is harder to play or switch mastermind. Psychic pizza's Ghost Mayor's job is a lot easier to play and customize the difficulty for the players involved.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Thank you!

quote:

2. If you like LoW, the expansion is nice. Adds more of everything and one easily explained mechanic. Just throw the Open Lord intrigue card and the Beholder lord card in the box never to be seen again. THAT SAID, don't think you need to play intro games to a mechanic to play games you actually want to play. If you are interested in a game, jump straight to it.

I like it well enough, though already after a couple of games feel like I could do with a bit more meat. Just dunno whether to go to something else or bolster it up first. I guess it's really a subjective decision.

quote:

3. Kemet, Inis, Root, and Forbidden Stars (out of print) are probably the best Dudes on a Map (DoaM) games for more than 2 players. Kemet has a kickstarter for a revised edition RIGHT NOW if you want to get a fresh edition.

What about for just two? WotR is amazing, but could do with a shorter option.

quote:

5. Can't really play Pandemic with Pandemic Legacy box unless you want to make some small houserules. If you are interested in Pandemic Legay, just jump into it. The very first game is basically Pandemic, then more opens up.

I don't know how well it works, but the Legacy rulebook does recommend it, so it must be feasible. Wanted to get used to the strategies before locking into a Legacy game. Think I'll just read the rulebook reaaallly carefully.

quote:

7. I would suggest Caylus 1303 rather than Caylus. It does 85% of what Caylus wants to do but quicker and streamlined. Spirit Island is amazing.

How are both Cayluses compared to AFFO?

quote:

Other than that, as someone who has spent way too much money, then sold a decent bit of stuff, I would say play what you have before buying more. Play everything at least two times and get a feel for what works for you and what does not. Use things like Tabletop Simulator, Tabletopia, and the array of online websites to try games before buying.

Also, this thread tends to trend much heavier than most board gaming bubbles. Don't be discouraged if your taste does not align.

Thanks, appreciate the tips. Used TTS to play Forbidden Island with some friends; I worry it may be fiddly with more complex and component heavy stuff, but it's about as good as one could hope for as a virtual board gaming environment.

Re the thread - having read through parts of it, I can see that like most SA threads it's generally well informed and with lots of discerning opinions, but for someone like me I suppose some people might seem jaded in comparison - not a value judgement; that's a reflection of time and experience. LoW is more appealing to me than it likely is to some people in here for that reason.

FulsomFrank posted:

Feast for Odin is perfectly fine without Norwegians but if I owned Norwegians (which I do) I would never play without it. You'd have to do research about the big box, I think Jedit knows a bit about what is or is not coming so he might chime in if he reads this. I doubt base Feast would go OOP and the same goes for the expansions but there are some mini ones that might be tricky to get.

Kemet is outstanding and what makes it great is that it is fast and pure murder and mayhem with lots of room for strategy. Because there is so much destruction going on it's tough for care-bears and sensitive types to take things personally and get misty-eyed when their poo poo gets wrecked by a giant scorpion. The reprint looks... questionable. Expensive and gimmicky. Unsure what the status on normal copies of the game of the other expansions is but I'd be shocked if they were difficult to track down.

I don't totally understand your Pandemic question but just read the legacy rulebook and check it frequently because there are changes like you said, and then there will be additions and modifications as you go on and it's easy to overlook or play something wrong if you're not paying attention.

Thanks for the comments Frank! My wife is devious as hell so she'd probably love Kemet.

If you were introducing someone to AFFO would you first play without the Norwegians?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I wouldn't. The revised action boards are that good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How are both Cayluses compared to AFFO?

Kind of opposite ends of the worker placement genre? The new edition of Caylus has some modern sensibilities but AFfO is pretty much everything crammed into one game (in a good way) and Caylus is still tight and focused design, sparse in comparison.

silvergoose posted:

I wouldn't. The revised action boards are that good.

agreed

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
If you can get Norwegians now, just save yourself time and grab it. It adds so much to the game in addition to allowing you access to the true game, which is fitting it all back in the base game box even after you've culled the unnecessary parts and hidden them in the expansion box.

I had a perfect one the other day where everything fit like a dream... until I realised I had put them away in the cover lid by accident. Heartbreaking!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mellifluous posted:

Nobody's said it yet (I guess Tek's busy) but I'm a big fan of Zendo. Box filled with plastic shapes, in a variety of colours and shapes. One player thinks up a rule (No blue shapes, nothing touching anything else, Every pyramid is pointing at something yellow) and builds two sculptures, one that follows the rule and one that doesn't. Then everyone else takes turns building their own sculptures trying to find out the rule. The new edition even comes with a deck of cards so you don't even have to think of your own rule, just how to demonstrate it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

mellifluous posted:

Alchemists is a worker-placement style game, fairly heavy and maybe a couple hours long, but set against a deduction element themed around potion mixing. Players can create potions by mixing two of eight ingredients together, and based on the potions that come out, try to work out what element each ingredient is actually made of.

It’s a hefty one though, and it requires either the app (or a person to not play and pretend to be the app for the whole game) to keep track of which ingredients are made of what elements, and to give the right results when they’re mixed together.

On the lighter side, I’ve not played, but have been looking into Awkward Guests recently, which from what I can tell is, “Cluedo, but moreso”. Players attempt to solve a murder by offering and swapping clues with one another, in an attempt to whittle a big list full of suspects, locations, possible motives and potential weapons, down to the single person with a motive and a clear pathway from the room they claim to have been in to the room where the body was found (via the room where they got the weapon).

The clues come from a deck of 70 cards taken from a selection of a few hundred, which are procedurally generated to have a coherent solution either by the app or from one of the pre-fab cases in the rulebook.

e: nvm me, Zendo’s the poo poo ^^

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loving...Zendo

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

To get the meme out of the way: Have you looked at Gloomhaven? I didn’t really read your list of likes/buying patterns, but it seems that Gloomhaven checks all the boxes.

Serious now, I noticed your lists are missing a key boardgame genre, Trains. I have some entry level train games for consideration, with some loose complexity/depth grouping:

Ticket to Ride: Europe: A classic intro game for sure, a good one for the kids.
TransAmerica: Another simple game, pretty low price, but shallower than TTR.

Paris Connection: A simple game but very good, has some conceptual building blocks for other train games where you don't own a rail line, simply invest in it alongside other players
Mini Rails: Also small, quick one with the basic concepts of not owning a specific railroad and creating shared incentives with other players

Irish Gauge: A very interesting game of shared incentive railroads and auctions, with a slight touch of rng to keep you on your toes. Really nice graphical design
Chicago Express: Similar to Irish Gauge, but no random elements. Much more cutthroat because of it and some other small but impactful changes

The above are not really two player games, although they all work at 3-4 and are pretty simple. For a better 2-player and a roll and write, try Railroad Ink

E: Ok this post might be a little tongue in cheek (with trains being a genre), but trains are life, and the main theme of the deep end of the hobby. Definitely buy Spirit Island though, that game is amazing for two player. So much content with just the base game, and so high quality too.

e2: cleaning up this phone post, yeesh

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 5, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've had a lot of success showing Chicago Express to folks that had played TTR. At first the stock stuff is a turn off but when we get a few rounds in they light up and then the game is over in 45 minutes and they want to immediately play again.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah Chicago Express is amazing. I am not a train gamer. But there are 3 actions you can take in a turn, and all are simple.

My only regret is that I didn't get it when it was 6 dollars years ago. But I'm fine paying 40 for it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah Chicago Express is amazing. I am not a train gamer. But there are 3 actions you can take in a turn, and all are simple.

My only regret is that I didn't get it when it was 6 dollars years ago. But I'm fine paying 40 for it.

I ordered it from Amazon for a friend that didn't have prime for like $6 a few years ago.

That order went missing, so I went through the Amazon chat and they sent out another order.

Two days later, two packages arrived 8-)

I got a free Chex, which was some weird train nerd game, and that friend got a free Patchwork that I had tacked onto the order.

And my kids got a ridiculous number of wooden train tracks from the doubled order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

I've had a lot of success showing Chicago Express to folks that had played TTR. At first the stock stuff is a turn off but when we get a few rounds in they light up and then the game is over in 45 minutes and they want to immediately play again.

Paris Connection is a nice gateway from TTR as well...I play it with a lot of newbies :).