Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can still have rice, go hog wild with curries and biryani.

Nm I dumb. Have curries on Cauli rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Can you process pearl tapioca into the 'minute' kind? I can't find the tiny fragments sort here, and I am used to using it to thicken fruit pies... Food processor maybe?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Suspect Bucket posted:

You can still have rice, go hog wild with curries and biryani.

Nm I dumb. Have curries on Cauli rice.
Cauliflower is also on the list.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

Can you process pearl tapioca into the 'minute' kind? I can't find the tiny fragments sort here, and I am used to using it to thicken fruit pies... Food processor maybe?

You should be able to. Pearl tapioca is tapioca starch that has been "rolled" into a bigger ball, so you should be able to break it back down via dry milling. A food processor would work. I think a coffee grinder would probably work better. If you feel like a work out, a mortar and pestle should crack it down pretty well, too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What (dried) ingredient can I use instead of fresh Cilantro?

I realized I was out of fresh cilantro (or dried for that matter).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In what application?

Short answer any dried green with some salt and lemon or vinegar will get something along the same lines but not quite.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Weltlich posted:

You should be able to. Pearl tapioca is tapioca starch that has been "rolled" into a bigger ball, so you should be able to break it back down via dry milling. A food processor would work. I think a coffee grinder would probably work better. If you feel like a work out, a mortar and pestle should crack it down pretty well, too.
Thanks welt :unsmith:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

Cauliflower is also on the list.

Just gonna hop myself into this convenient flaming dumpster for idiots here :hyup: oh hey donald

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Parsley, maybe tarragon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me some metal mixing bowls. I'm not using a hand mixer in them, they're just for spoon mixing / tossing / etc. Would be nice if I could throw them on an open burner to make popcorn or something, but not super critical if it's not going to happen. Would like a few smaller ones as well, for like mixing a quick sauce or mise en place

I had these previously, and liked them, but they just chip to poo poo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EEYGCA/.

Wirecutter liked these and they looked nice to me, but the ordering is kind of awkward, but I could order them if they're what I'm looking for

e: this, perhaps? https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80202-202DS-Stainless-NSF-Certified/dp/B0778XFNV8/

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 4, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got all my metal mixing bowls from IKEA, they're good quality and have a nice range of sizes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Grand Fromage posted:

I got all my metal mixing bowls from IKEA, they're good quality and have a nice range of sizes.

I saw those but I didn't like they didn't have a lip in them, and the metal curled inward. Are they different now?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I used to have cheap plain metal mixing bowls, but in the last 30 years it turns out there have been some innovations. I upgraded a few years ago, and I really appreciate silicone bottoms and snap-on lids. Volume markings etched inside can also be handy.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 4, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I saw those but I didn't like they didn't have a lip in them, and the metal curled inward. Are they different now?

I dunno if they've changed. The ones I have are just basically hemispheres with a flat bottom. Nothing fancy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are my olives moldy or is this like congealed oil/salt? They've only been in the fridge for a week-unpitted greek olives in brine. I didn't think olives could go bad...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are my olives moldy or is this like congealed oil/salt? They've only been in the fridge for a week-unpitted greek olives in brine. I didn't think olives could go bad...

That looks like a bunch of olives trying to ferment themselves.

I mean I'm not going to talk you into anything, but if I had to bet, my money would be on that being some flavour of lactobacilli (L. plantarum, probably, as colonies are naturally found in healthy olives) which is perfectly harmless. But it's your GI tract.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The same thing happend to my sun dried tomatoes. Leave them out on the counter for a while, if the white stuff disappears as they reach room temperature, they're fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

The same thing happend to my sun dried tomatoes. Leave them out on the counter for a while, if the white stuff disappears as they reach room temperature, they're fine.

Yeah, looked like some kind of fat that separated and solidified. If it melts when it warms up you're good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

that's absolutely just congealed fat from the olives

let 'em come up to room temp and see what they look like

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Revere wear stainless bowls have a little loop you can hang them up with and come with a lid for storing stuff in the fridge or whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thumposaurus posted:

Revere wear stainless bowls have a little loop you can hang them up with and come with a lid for storing stuff in the fridge or whatever.

Yeah these are good.

I also have just a no-name set of stainless bowls I got from a department store a few years back that have flat silicone bottoms and are nice if I gotta mix around some sturdy / heavy stuff in (like mixing dough by hand).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I used to have cheap plain metal mixing bowls, but in the last 30 years it turns out there have been some innovations. I upgraded a few years ago, and I really appreciate silicone bottoms and snap-on lids. Volume markings etched inside can also be handy.

I'm sold.

I'm in the same boat, nothing but plain metal bowls. No slips bottoms would be nice, dish towels only do so much.

Thumposaurus posted:

Snap on lids have become super important me, I use less plastic wrap and plastic bags. I have them on my pyrex baking dishes and I love them.

Mixing bowls with lids would be awesome for pre-prep.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The lids on those bowls are helpful but I found out the hard way they don't survive in the dishwasher so if you get a set hand wash them only.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any tips for improving boxed falafel mix? I made some from scratch the other week and it was amazing, but I'm very lazy, so I ordered some Sadaf Traditional mix. It came out perfectly edible, but bland, and now I've got three boxes of the stuff. I thought about adding some fresh minced parley or garbanzos, but that might screw with the already-loose consistency.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Any tips for improving boxed falafel mix? I made some from scratch the other week and it was amazing, but I'm very lazy, so I ordered some Sadaf Traditional mix. It came out perfectly edible, but bland, and now I've got three boxes of the stuff. I thought about adding some fresh minced parley or garbanzos, but that might screw with the already-loose consistency.

Fresh parsley will make the biggest immediate difference. You can cut back a tiny bit on whatever liquid you add to the mix if you are worried about it getting too loose. A little fresh ground cumin would also be a great touch, and probably perfectly offset the parsley moisture.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe a bit of minced/grated onion? Usually a bit of onion is ground with the chickpeas for falafel. Other spices might be good too, one of the falafel joints near my apartment puts fennel in their falafel (at least I think it's fennel).

Also, is it salted enough? For a lot of legumes I feel like they taste really not good until there's the right amount of salt then it's amazing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've never had the boxed stuff fry up right. Well, only tried twice, but it was frustrating.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I presume it's fat because I eat olives like this all the time.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Anybody doing keto? My girlfriend was previously buying gluten free but couldn't let go of baked goods and snacks. The gluten free versions tasted bad, the texture was never right, and the substitutes they used probably ended up being worse for us in the long run. We started keto around new years and we've basically abandoned processed foods now. Usual dinners include porkchops w/asparagus, egg drop soup, chicken or shrimp breaded with pork rinds, taco salad, burger wraps, meatloaf, pot roasts, artichoke, cheese-crust pizza, enchilada soup, and I'm blanking on the rest. It's hard to find new recipes though. Usually when you search "keto recipes" you end up with cheesy chicken broccoli or some poo poo that has a bunch of substitutes to make it keto. What's something new that we could try?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm not keto at all, but I do a fair amount of veggie tray bakes (when it's not too hot to cook). I fry up an ounce or two of bacon and a big chopped onion/garlic, then I dump it on top of a baking tray with raw and DRY broccoli/cauli, sweet peppers, and whatever I can get fresh, eggplant and summer squash is great. Roast at 450 till the broccoli gets some browning. It's great on its own, or with a side of a protein.

I'm also subbing out rice with Cauli rice lately to help with weight loss. I've burnt the quarantine pounds off and some, but that first five always goes fast. Just gotta keep on trucking.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ott_ posted:

Anybody doing keto? My girlfriend was previously buying gluten free but couldn't let go of baked goods and snacks. The gluten free versions tasted bad, the texture was never right, and the substitutes they used probably ended up being worse for us in the long run. We started keto around new years and we've basically abandoned processed foods now. Usual dinners include porkchops w/asparagus, egg drop soup, chicken or shrimp breaded with pork rinds, taco salad, burger wraps, meatloaf, pot roasts, artichoke, cheese-crust pizza, enchilada soup, and I'm blanking on the rest. It's hard to find new recipes though. Usually when you search "keto recipes" you end up with cheesy chicken broccoli or some poo poo that has a bunch of substitutes to make it keto. What's something new that we could try?
Part of the problem is that keto covers everything from probably harmless low-carb fad dieting to full-bore pants-on-head crazy pseudoscience.

What are the actual dietary restrictions you're following?

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

SubG posted:

Part of the problem is that keto covers everything from probably harmless low-carb fad dieting to full-bore pants-on-head crazy pseudoscience.

What are the actual dietary restrictions you're following?

Just low-carb basically. We use the whole "net carb" thing where you subtract dietary fiber and sugar alcohol, which is kinda psuedosciencey, but the diet's for her, not me. She's lost 50 pounds so it's working, at least.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm not keto at all, but I do a fair amount of veggie tray bakes (when it's not too hot to cook). I fry up an ounce or two of bacon and a big chopped onion/garlic, then I dump it on top of a baking tray with raw and DRY broccoli/cauli, sweet peppers, and whatever I can get fresh, eggplant and summer squash is great. Roast at 450 till the broccoli gets some browning. It's great on its own, or with a side of a protein.

I'm also subbing out rice with Cauli rice lately to help with weight loss. I've burnt the quarantine pounds off and some, but that first five always goes fast. Just gotta keep on trucking.

This sounds really good, we'll have to try it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
eMeals has a keto plan

Might be worth trying for a month if you want to just get a list of recipes to make. There's also low carb, paleo, etc. I think it's like $5 a month, I've been using it for their vegan plan the past year or so

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ott_ posted:

chicken or shrimp breaded with pork rinds
Holy poo poo why did I not think of this before.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Keto works because it's cutting out the biggest and sneakiest source of calories, most grain products and sugars. But if it works for someone, awesome.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Suspect Bucket posted:

Keto works because it's cutting out the biggest and sneakiest source of calories, most grain products and sugars. But if it works for someone, awesome.

Isn’t that basically all fad diets? Everything I recall just cuts grain products and sugars, and calories you drink.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Isn’t that basically all fad diets? Everything I recall just cuts grain products and sugars, and calories you drink.

They're pretty much all fancy barely-scientific ways to tell people not to consume too many calories.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Resting Lich Face posted:

They're pretty much all fancy barely-scientific ways to tell people not to consume too many calories.

I was morbidly obese my entire life until I learned this. I was intimidated by fad diets because they all seemed so complicated; buy the book, follow the recipes, make sure you only eat X carbs and Y sugars and Z fats every day, etc. Once I figured out that all diets are just CICO in disguise I lost 100 lbs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Consume fewer calories than you burn" is really the only diet that works, but you can package it a lot of different ways to make it easier to accomplish. But in the end, there's no getting around the law of conservation of energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sure, but fad diets can be a nice means to an end. If you have restrictions on type instead of on quantity, it's easier to not cheat yourself. I dropped 60 lbs when I went vegetarian (I'm not any more) just because, while I could overdo it on french fries, I went to fast food less often in general since at that time there were no veggie mains.