Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Just smash the jar open and eat the contents off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Stick a butter knife up the side to break the seal.

My roommate on several occasions has just taken the sharp paring knife and cut the top off of plastic bottles she can't get into.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hold the jar top under some hot water for a little bit til the lid expands some. This works especially well if the lid is metal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate showering in this kind of weather - it's got really hot out, so the water comes out super-heated compared to the normal temperature so it's really uncomfortable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I was at a gas station/corner store earlier to pick up some smokes, and a woman who usually flirts with me was working.
So we were talking and our conversation turned to global warming. (She asked me if I wanted a plastic bag for my single pack of cigarettes and it went from there you get it)
I made a joke about how global warming isn't real, and she immediately turned ice-cold.
I thanked her and left, and realized that I'm peeved at myself for having such a dry sense of humour that no one can really tell if I'm kidding around or not.
So I did what any sensible person would do and rushed home to post about it on the Something Awful dot com forums.

If it makes you feel any better, your name/avatar/title combo always make me smile.

Not everyone can be as hot and charismatic as James anyway

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have the opposite peeve. I hate showering in winter because although the actual shower is lovely and warm, it’s cold getting undressed to get in and then it’s cold when you get out of the shower.
We only have a reverse cycle aircon in the main room for heat in our unit and little insulation and the bathroom just has a heat lamp. Luckily it’s only cold for a couple of months each year in Sydney, but those couple of months feel really cold.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I open jars by biting the lid a bit so it deforms and releases pressure if i really cant screw them open

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agaragon posted:

Once when I was a teenager my mom was driving me back to her house and I joked that I could never apply for a job at Papa Johns because my dad would disown me (Older brother had a job there and bought home so many defect pizzas that everyone got very sick of it very quickly). She took me seriously, I really should not have had to clarify.

My current major pet peeve is that I'm a small woman with the approximate grip strength and dexterity of a drunk chipmunk. gently caress jars, they shouldn't have to be such a process.

They say people only use 10% of their brains. Perhaps you’re only using 10% of your strength?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Have you people seriously never heard of a brix jarkey?

I'm sorry but the thought of you guys wasting your entire lives loving around with hot water and butter knives is hilarious.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It annoys the ever living hell out of me when someone sits around talking about the errand they're going to run/are putting off. I know it's going to suck waiting around at the DMV for three hours but you just spent three hours moping around the house talking about how it's going to suck, so... coulda been done by now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

aardwolf posted:

I'm sorry but the thought of you guys wasting your entire lives loving around with hot water and butter knives is hilarious.

Jarkeys only work on jars with metal lids, and even then it's only jars that seal with lugs instead of continuous threads.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Riatsala posted:

It annoys the ever living hell out of me when someone sits around talking about the errand they're going to run/are putting off. I know it's going to suck waiting around at the DMV for three hours but you just spent three hours moping around the house talking about how it's going to suck, so... coulda been done by now.

:same:

Especially when it's not even that bad of a task.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

aardwolf posted:

No, but I am absolutely using "Brix Jarkey" as my alias when I need to go on the run.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector 34 posted:

:same:

Especially when it's not even that bad of a task.

I knew someone who complained about having go go get her curbside pick up order.

She was also someone who managed to do a permanent work from home and always complained about never getting out. I'd think doing her own grocery shopping would have done her some good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

I knew someone who complained about having go go get her curbside pick up order.

Ugh I have to be conveyed by a motorized vehicle to have a prepared meal of my specific choice handed to me

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Complaining is its own separate thing, also a peeve.

What I meant is more when somebody states their immediate plans and then I plan around that, except their part never happened so now my plan has to change too. I'm trying to think of an example that's not petty or couldn't be solved by a quick simple conversation, but failing because it is kind of petty for me to get annoyed at someone for that kind of thing and it can be easily solved. HOWEVER it could also be solved by people just following through on what they said in the first place.

If it's "I'm going to take a shower in 45 minutes" then I know I can squeeze one in first. Instead it's just "I'm going to take a shower" then 45 minutes later they still haven't and now it's getting late enough that I'd almost just rather go to bed.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I love wildlife and birds and the CONCEPT of the dawn chorus.

However, when they're all happening outside my window every day from 4am onwards I am less of a fan. We have at least one nest in the gutter above our bedroom window, plus more in the surrounding trees. So, basically, we're surrounded by sparrows and starlings who are chirping, chattering and clattering and waking me up every day until they emigrate away again.

(edit : sparrows aren't migratory but they seem to vanish in the colder months anyway)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Perfect Element posted:

I love wildlife and birds and the CONCEPT of the dawn chorus.

However, when they're all happening outside my window every day from 4am onwards I am less of a fan. We have at least one nest in the gutter above our bedroom window, plus more in the surrounding trees. So, basically, we're surrounded by sparrows and starlings who are chirping, chattering and clattering and waking me up every day until they emigrate away again.

(edit : sparrows aren't migratory but they seem to vanish in the colder months anyway)

Dawn is beautiful and would absolutely be my favourite time of day if it didn’t happen so drat early in the morning.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The best tool for opening jars is something called a boa constrictor.

I of course just use my big manly man-hands.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dysgenesis posted:

The best tool for opening jars is something called a boa constrictor.

I of course just use my big manly man-hands.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I'll have great respect for whatever recipe site is the first to make including "old-fashioned" in the title an autoban.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

That reminds me of a great thing in a Gordon Ramsay recipe that's on his site for a lasagne with a side-salad. His method of dressing the lettuce is extreme as gently caress - he says to make the dressing, spread the leaves on the whole intact head of lettuce, put it top down in the dressing and sweep it around to evenly dress, then PULL THE HEART OF THE LETTUCE STRAIGHT OUT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS LIKE MOLA RAM! and let the leaves fall.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

People who try to sing along with the radio, horribly botch it, and then claim they were actually "harmonizing" and they weren't really trying to sing correctly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To that end, if you are gonna sing along and your version of the lyrics ends up being wrong, please do not insist that your misheard version is correct and refuse to look it up, only tossers do that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
why do smoke alarms inform you that they have low battery by screeching at full smoke alarm volume and inform you when you mess with them in any way, such as doing things you are SUPPOSED TO DO TO THEM like hitting the "shut up smoke alarm" button or changing to a new battery, by doing the same, and why do they always go low in the early hours of the morning and why are they placed so high that you can't even hit the "shut up smoke alarm" button without effort

thanks alarm, you have never saved us from a fire or CO poisoning but you always told us when the oven was set above 400, and now all the neighbours hate us

e: this apartment doesn't even have a fire escape, we'd just have to run down the regular stairs which are past a couple chokepoints, so i'm fully expecting to one day die horribly to the fire that karma demands this post bring upon me, all the while hearing that horrible noise as the smoke alarm uselessly warns me because it screeched about the oven one too many times and everyone ignores it now

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:10 on May 29, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hate that all modern electronics beep to let you know they're low on battery. The first time, fair enough. Good to know that I'm down to 20%, thanks, I'll do something about that as soon as I can. But doing it again every time the battery drops another percentage point is not loving helping. There needs to be a "Thanks, message acknowledged, don't tell me again" option.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

at least they don't shove a "Got it!" button in your face like 99% of impudent modern technology

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate that they revealed that the old advice of "one glass of wine per day is good for you" is bogus. i don't want to know that, life without wine is not worth living and i'll drink it anyway except i'll get more stress from knowing that it'll kill me slowly, which, in turn, will kill me faster than the wine probably ever would have

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

i hate that they revealed that the old advice of "one glass of wine per day is good for you" is bogus. i don't want to know that, life without wine is not worth living and i'll drink it anyway except i'll get more stress from knowing that it'll kill me slowly, which, in turn, will kill me faster than the wine probably ever would have

But on the other hand, if drinking one glass a day isn't good for you and if you're going to do something bad for your health anyway... might as well finish the bottle. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Computer security training. I mean, I get that we have to teach boomers how to not fall for social engineering (and they still do), but it's so asinine to have to do it yearly. And now I get to read about privacy data laws across the world, because I'm totally going to need to do it in Asia

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate it when someone keeps mentioning that they own apple products like it's some kind of badge of honor. had to do a zoom meeting with someone and their first email was like "i will see if i can get Zoom working on my Apple Macbook :)" then she had some trouble and was like "I'm sorry, my Apple Macbook doesn't seem to work with Zoom" and went on a rant about zoom's lack of security and how it is "easy to hack" (by which i think she means someone who has the link to a meeting can get in, which is what she thinks hacking means) and how her Apple® Macbook™ protects her from such hazards. it didnt help that she seemed like a dumb person and had one of those "in this house" signs in her living room behind her

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Heavy machinery first thing in the morning. It feels like that's when heavy machinery work gets done, for no reason I can discern.

Our idiot neighbors had a concrete guy over yesterday who spray-painted a couple spots on their driveway and left. Today I'm woken up by concrete trucks and poo poo moving into our very quiet residential neighborhood at 7:15; the real clanging and loud droning begins at 7:30 as, it turns out, a power lifter is removing their entire driveway.

The only thing they have ever done with that driveway is park their loving vehicles on it at all times, instead of in their perfectly nice two-car garage. :psyduck:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I hate that all modern electronics beep to let you know they're low on battery. The first time, fair enough. Good to know that I'm down to 20%, thanks, I'll do something about that as soon as I can. But doing it again every time the battery drops another percentage point is not loving helping. There needs to be a "Thanks, message acknowledged, don't tell me again" option.

My least favorite incarnation of this is wireless earbuds that beep every 20 seconds when they hit 20 percent battery. Mmm yes just the audio spice this song needed on the last leg of my walk!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i have three separate bluetooth devices with a voice that “helpfully” speaks when it’s turned on, off, or has a low battery. once the low battery message on my speaker barked behind me at 3am, and i about died

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i have three separate bluetooth devices with a voice that “helpfully” speaks when it’s turned on, off, or has a low battery. once the low battery message on my speaker barked behind me at 3am, and i about died

Who told devices they could speak to us?!? They have a language already! Beeps are startling but obviously beeps!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My wireless headphones are deafeningly loud at 20% volume, 100% is i guess for wearing around your neck, but guess at what volume the lady who lives inside them screams 'LOW BATTEWY'? :downs:

My peeve is when people say 'question' before asking a question. Just ask! We know what a question is!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My peeve is when people launch directly into questions without saying 'hey' or something first, so the first half of the question is lost to the wind before my brain starts paying attention.

Luckily it's usually pretty easy to guess what that first half was based on context, but still, stop assuming the entire world is listening 100% to you and nothing else the instant you open your mouth, people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who play music on a speaker while riding on their bike should be summarily executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Shibawanko posted:

people who play music on a speaker while riding on their bike should be summarily executed

One of my roommates frequently has her phone calls on speaker, or is listening to podcasts without earbuds. She does this while taking her dog out on walks, and I can hear her out in the hallway when she gets to our floor, before she's even gotten to our door.