Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

DesperateDan posted:

The protests might have come at a really poo poo time regards covid but folks who have been on the shittiest end of the stick for hundreds of years cannot be told to just keep waiting till it's convenient, because that time will never come

It’s so weird reading UKMT and Western twitter on this while living in China right now, it’s like an insight into a parallel universe.

To the extent people here give a poo poo what’s happening overseas, which isn’t very much, the general feeling is:

- America is poo poo to Black people

- White people are now dumb and weak and self hating and spend all their time dicking about on Twitter and thinking it’s revolutionary to make a passionate post, their time is past

- This is why China is now #1 and deserves to be, because we have self confidence and don’t mind most of us living in poverty so that a tiny number of people can get obscenely rich

- Please stop making a fuss about HK, we know you don’t really mean it because we can see you doing worse stuff in your own back yard and also you can’t do poo poo about what we do now anyway

- Uighurs, what are Uighurs, never heard of them

Pesky Splinter posted:

"We only have to be lucky once.
You have to be lucky every time" ~ Comrade Covid

I always wondered about this philosophy. Like, it’s true from the point of view of the IRA movement versus any particular English politician, sure. But the movement of “English people who oppress Ireland” is like a thousand times bigger; it can sustain a lot more losses and still come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm not wild about anything you have to pull off over your head as a face covering.

I just sewed one up out of an old work shirt and some elastic ripped from an old bit of cosplay, but I appreciate I might be unusual in my access to those kinds of resources.

I only go out once a week though, so it's trivial to get it washed in time.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I always wondered about this philosophy. Like, it’s true from the point of view of the IRA movement versus any particular English politician, sure. But the movement of “English people who oppress Ireland” is like a thousand times bigger; it can sustain a lot more losses and still come out ahead.

It's not a threat that works on a cohesive group; however if you can get a number of individuals to worry that today might be the day their lunch explodes, you can very effectively shut down productivity.

Guess which sort of group Margaret "no such thing as a society" Thatcher belonged to.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

:siren: Latest Podcasting is Praxis episode has been fixed and is ready for your earholes :siren:

Here's the long awaited second part of our cultural series wherein we examine the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including how Tony Stark is a liberal hero and how the seeds of eco-fascist propaganda have been right there the whole time.

Enjoy!

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Someone posted these in the last thread but elle are doing reusable ones fairly cheaply: https://elle.co.uk/collections/protective-face-masks/products/protective-mask-5-pack-washable

I got mine about a week after buying. The elastics a little tight which is a pain in the arse with glasses but otherwise: big recommend. Bit mad you gotta pay extra for black though, honestly :drac:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
these protests in america have really got musicians showing their arse

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1268587674014752770?s=20
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1267671294365126656?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

If the names hadn't been there i'd have thought that was the same bloke

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's loving incredible that John Dolmayan managed to spend entire years of his life in the same room as Serj Tankian and still somehow come out the other side as a magachud.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's loving incredible that John Dolmayan managed to spend entire years of his life in the same room as Serj Tankian and still somehow come out the other side as a magachud.

I'm just constantly having the sentence "Did he not listen to a single lyrics?" running through my head obessive-compulsively

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Money does have that effect on people.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Beefeater1980 posted:

- America is poo poo to Black people

I mean, that one is entirely accurate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

£32 including shipping is a bit more than i wanted to spend

Get the Saudis to buy it for you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm just constantly having the sentence "Did he not listen to a single lyrics?" running through my head obessive-compulsively

He's a drummer, so no. Also he hits things with sticks for a living, of course he identifies with cops.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thinking about older people and racism:

I was just looking at the various anti-racist books for young kids available now and remembering that when I was at infant/primary school we had "Little Black Sambo" and my nan (not the 'would be UKIP if UKIP were around then' nan) used to save 'golliwog' tokens off the back of the marmalade and send off for golliwog badges and little golliwog plaster statues for us. 10 years later "Love Thy Neighbour" was a popular TV comedy series.

My family were rare because one of my aunts (daughter of 'golliwog' nan) married a Jamaican guy - they lived in BIrmingham - and I was a bridesmaid. In the 1970s their marriage broke up and my nan had responsibility for the two little kids for a while. She sent them to the local primary school (in all white rural south Wales).
For the first 3 weeks all went well until the parents found out there were two 'half caste' kids in the school and from then on their life became a misery of taunting, bigger kids laying in wait for them on the way home from school and threaten them, steal their crayons and stuff.
School was half a mile walk up a country lane - kids used to walk to and from school back then and in anycase nan didn't have a car and public transport to her home was non-existent, and kids were expected to be able to walk 3 miles each way to and fom school before they were allowed school transport.

Anyway, that's my 'why older people might be racist' brain musings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the very few things I will credit the blair government with is that they did ensure in school that I knew climate change was real and racism was bad.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

if anyone wants masks there's a goon who's making them and giving the money to a foodbank

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924293

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's a drummer, so no. Also he hits things with sticks for a living, of course he identifies with cops.

This is a shameful new direction for drummer jokes and I for one won't stand for it.

(I'll sit down, obviously. Drummer.)

:rimshot:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was wondering who would make the first drummer joke :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh no, Project Veritas has rumbled Antifa!!

https://twitter.com/Project_Veritas/status/1268597693594689536

quote:

Oregon’s notoriously secretive Rose City Antifa meets regularly “like a business” to train in weapons and tactics, including eye-gouging, as well as how to engage in violence without getting caught, according to a video released Thursday by Project Veritas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like all the people who are just tweeting pictures of WW2 squaddies on the hashtag.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, expect more like this:

https://twitter.com/nadine_writes/status/1268492413875748864?s=21

minema
May 31, 2011
Physio Twitter has been full of discussion about the lack of BAME physios in the UK, with the union/regulatory body representatives getting involved and asking questions about how they can change things. Too early to see yet if there'll be actions as well as words but it's been nice to see people talking about it, and white physios listening.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sebzilla posted:

This is a shameful new direction for drummer jokes and I for one won't stand for it.

(I'll sit down, obviously. Drummer.)

:rimshot:

Hah, you beat me to it. Let's be offended together.

Oh wait we can't, there's only one drummer in a band*

*ok maybe sometimes

Also reminded of this from Soul Music

quote:

“Music made from rocks?” said Imp. “What do you callll it?”
“We call it Ggroohauga,” said Lias, “which means music made from rocks.”
The rocks were all of different sizes, carefully tuned here and there by small nicks hacked in the stone.
“May I?” said Imp.
“Be my guest.”
Imp selected a small rock and flicked it with his finger. It went bop. A smaller one went bing.
“What do you do with them?” he said.
“I bang them together.”
“And then what?”
“What do you mean, ‘And then what?’”
“What do you do after you’ve banged them together?”
“I bang them together again,” said Lias, one of Nature’s drummers

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

At least Serj doesn't share his crappy opinions:

System of a Down’s Serj Tankian to President Trump: “Run Donny Run Into Your Bunker”

System Of A Down’s Serj Tankian Calls For Trump Regime To Resign

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, that's what I meant. Serj has always been very outspoken about being left-wing. Hell, listening to a few SOAD songs makes that incredibly clear.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I like all the people who are just tweeting pictures of WW2 squaddies on the hashtag.

I like that apparently the bookshop they say they met in closed down 2 years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

I like that apparently the bookshop they say they met in closed down 2 years ago.

Yeah there seems to be a lot of holes in the story but I have a little less faith in factual accuracy getting in the way of a good story, so people just saying the premise is stupid is more heartening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Serj Tankian sounds like the authcom version of A. Wyatt Mann.

Which I guess would make the libcom and ancap equivalents Dick Paradise and Peter Ubersechs.

e: found the Christian Conservative

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah there seems to be a lot of holes in the story but I have a little less faith in factual accuracy getting in the way of a good story, so people just saying the premise is stupid is more heartening.

Yeah, :agreed:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remember when Robert Kilroy-Silk made a political party called Veritas which was UKIP taken to 11, like legalize all drugs but also leave the WTO?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for the other star trek watchers lol

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268616519908352003?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving lol.

E: counsellor destroyed his rear end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
WTF?

https://twitter.com/SkyeCity_/status/1268591011636359176?s=20

Further:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1268563140461158401?s=20

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

They've been trying to spend a ton of money on a new riyal yacht for years now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Which Tory donor is getting a giant bung to build this giant bung?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

loving lol.

E: counsellor destroyed his rear end.

unfortunately

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1268629224383934464?s=20

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Miftan posted:

They've been trying to spend a ton of money on a new riyal yacht for years now.

Yep:

Me in Dec 2018, when idea was floated again, and probably more times since in the last two years and before posted:

Nov 2018 - Prince Andrew says a royal yacht Britannia can be a 'tool in the bag' to help British businesses

Oct 2018 - Brexiteers demand new £120m Royal Yacht Britannia for Liam Fox to use

Feb 2018 - Craig Mackinlay on new lottery to fund new royal yacht. Britain "needs and deserves a new floating palace" claims a Conservative MP calling for a new lottery to fund a Royal yacht, a project which would cost £120m.

Dec 2017 -Tory MP plans to fund a new royal yacht slammed as an affront to struggling British families

Nov 2017 - Tory MP suggests Prince Harry and Meghan Markle should be given a Royal Yacht to 'sail the sea with'

Mar 2017 - Government will consider new royal yacht to replace Britannia, Boris Johnson announces

Jan 2017 - Build a new Royal Yacht Britannia and deliver a 20 year old Conservative manifesto pledge, party historian tells Theresa May

Oct 2016 - Spend tens of millions from the aid budget on a new royal yacht Britannia, Tory MPs tell Government

Sept 2016 - BREXIT MEANS BRITANNIA: Tories want Royal Yacht to rule the waves again and drum up post-Brexit trade as a floating embassy. Boris Johnson investigating idea of using Britannia as a symbol of how great Britain is all around the world.

Part of me just wants to build the thing, and immediately watch it sink beneath the waves. Or instantly tugged away for scrap.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't imagine why prince andrew would be so keen to get to international waters.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Can't imagine why prince andrew would be so keen to get to international waters.

To not sweat 'neath the hot sea sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress me. Like, Maslow was a hack, and wrote broad generalizations not backed by much evidence that only really corresponds to his view of 20th century capitalist society through a junk-psych lens but ignore the strict and wrong hierarchy and pretend it's a blob:

In the 21st century, this can broadly be divided into two things: poo poo that I actually need to live, and poo poo that I can get for free on the internet (also whiskey, which is neither of those, but it's not on there).

Now why is it that whenever money is to be spent on the poo poo that I need to live, like food or shelter, the 'why can't you pay for it yourself' brigade always comes out, but whenever it's one of the higher ones, like the swell of ~identity~ that we're supposed to get from a big boat, or British Values, or the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, they're all suspiciously silent? That poo poo costs money too.

If you want an identity then get on your bike and build it yourself, like everyone who wasn't an Anglo cishet guy had to do here.

(Although that's often how you get nazis, and Orwell says as much that having a bunch of ceremonial flagwaving with no actual power is a useful pressure release to prevent that, but that might be balls and I don't think "build nonce bote too prevent fash" is what they're thinking, someone's just mates with a shipbuilder or it's happening by muscle memory at this point.)