Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It is kinda weird they haven't launched it yet, I assume they're doing a big rework or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Game development is risky because you could be working on a game for years and just end up realizing your game isn't fun anymore, so you have to remake a bunch of stuff or scrap it because of a subjective variable such as "fun". Add everything else everyone mentioned, like that rope kid post and it becomes a nightmare.

In my experience, you either:
1. Join a big company and get burnt out by the time you're 30-35. You're employed 2-5 years at a time max, and spend around 20% of that working 100-hour weeks and get discarded once your project is done. Stop getting hired in your late 30s because you're too old for the industry.
2. Go indie, spend 7-10 years making a game that's your passion project and you have to remake or revamp every couple years, work 100-hour weeks making it, lose your friends, social life, all your funding, move back in with your parents, then release your game, then spend the rest of your life trying to make something that good before vanishing off the face of the Earth in your late 30s.
3. Just kind of go nowhere on low-paying jobs in the industry, have a good enough time, and drift away into any other sector in your late 30s because you want to have a life or maybe even start a family.

All of this while eating absolute vitriol from fans criticizing absolutely anything you do and harassing you on social media because you were tangentially involved in something they hated. If you happen to be female, then just god drat that's going to be a nightmare.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Maleh-Vor posted:

If you happen to be female, then just god drat that's going to be a nightmare.
Odd post to nominate for understatement of the year.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

It is kinda weird they haven't launched it yet, I assume they're doing a big rework or something.

Turning it into diablo 4.

just like how the mobile versions of warcraft3 are what reforged were.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maleh-Vor posted:

Game development is risky because you could be working on a game for years and just end up realizing your game isn't fun anymore, so you have to remake a bunch of stuff or scrap it because of a subjective variable such as "fun". Add everything else everyone mentioned, like that rope kid post and it becomes a nightmare.

In my experience, you either:
1. Join a big company and get burnt out by the time you're 30-35. You're employed 2-5 years at a time max, and spend around 20% of that working 100-hour weeks and get discarded once your project is done. Stop getting hired in your late 30s because you're too old for the industry.
2. Go indie, spend 7-10 years making a game that's your passion project and you have to remake or revamp every couple years, work 100-hour weeks making it, lose your friends, social life, all your funding, move back in with your parents, then release your game, then spend the rest of your life trying to make something that good before vanishing off the face of the Earth in your late 30s.
3. Just kind of go nowhere on low-paying jobs in the industry, have a good enough time, and drift away into any other sector in your late 30s because you want to have a life or maybe even start a family.

All of this while eating absolute vitriol from fans criticizing absolutely anything you do and harassing you on social media because you were tangentially involved in something they hated. If you happen to be female, then just god drat that's going to be a nightmare.

What the hell kinda indie devs do you know that have "funding" to lose in the first place :v:

I literally have one living in my house right now because otherwise she'd be homeless and I'm a sucker

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

There's a 2a to that which is make and release a successful indie game, become a major player in the indie community, and spend the next 10 years harassing and abusing the gently caress out of everyone willing to trust you to the point where women new to the indie dev scene get told flat out not to get caught alone in a room with you, and then once you are outed as a monster and kill yourself, a bunch of gamers rise up to declare that woman's false allegations are getting good men killed.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of weird incestuous backdoor deals with video game companies in general, like who is the dev, the publisher, the rights holder etc. so you get things like the big names, Bethesda, Activision, Bioware, farming out working to other studios and then loving them on residuals, bonuses, and such but when studio A ends up shuttering because of getting screwed over by Activision it doesn't count as "Activision loses employees"

The video game development cycle is also a hell world of terrible planning and budget goals, most projects are wildly expensive when they don't need to be (Tim Schafer and his $$$ spent on famous celebs for voice acting instead of making a good game) or mismanaged to the point where "crunch time" is seen as a feature of the business when it means work yourself to death for 3 months because the game must be finished on time and we wasted the last 9 because decision makers kept changing their minds.

Here's a relevant example

good post, but also I keep forgetting the person most credited in making Fallout NV good is a goddamn goon and was posting during launch

nobody tell me how long ago that was

e: also hbomerguy's video on Fallout 3, I'm just gonna credit all goons for making Fallout less bad. you're welcome

T-man has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Jun 5, 2020

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of New Vegas and farming out work to other studios, Bethesda had a performance bonus in Obsidian's contract tied to the game scoring 85 or better on Metacritic. It scored 84.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Doggles posted:

Speaking of New Vegas and farming out work to other studios, Bethesda had a performance bonus in Obsidian's contract tied to the game scoring 85 or better on Metacritic. It scored 84.

How much do you think they paid Metacritic?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

pentyne posted:

There's a 2a to that which is make and release a successful indie game, become a major player in the indie community, and spend the next 10 years harassing and abusing the gently caress out of everyone willing to trust you to the point where women new to the indie dev scene get told flat out not to get caught alone in a room with you, and then once you are outed as a monster and kill yourself, a bunch of gamers rise up to declare that woman's false allegations are getting good men killed.

That seems oddly specific. Did I miss something?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

VideoTapir posted:

How much do you think they paid Metacritic?

One point's worth less than usual

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

When I was in high school, I was interested in making video games and even found a summer camp that offered to teach you how to become a real life video game developer! Of course the summer camp was a joke, but they did actually organize a lot of trips to local video game developers and we got to talk to a lot of people in the industry. Those conversations with the employees completely broke my soul. Some of the other kids and I realized just how hosed up it was when we would ask the employees what super power they would want and literally every single time the answer was, "Invisibility, so I could hide for a while and get some sleep."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dreadwind posted:

When I was in high school, I was interested in making video games and even found a summer camp that offered to teach you how to become a real life video game developer! Of course the summer camp was a joke, but they did actually organize a lot of trips to local video game developers and we got to talk to a lot of people in the industry. Those conversations with the employees completely broke my soul. Some of the other kids and I realized just how hosed up it was when we would ask the employees what super power they would want and literally every single time the answer was, "Invisibility, so I could hide for a while and get some sleep."

You could just wish to not have to sleep morons :rolleyes:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

You could just wish to not have to sleep morons :rolleyes:

Nobody was dumb enough to hope to give their employers an excuse to keep them in the office 24/7/365 on salary without overtime.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

That seems oddly specific. Did I miss something?

Zoe Quinn accused Alec Holowka of abuse, and a short time later he killed himself so she was clearly a whore slinging mud at a good person

Except tons of people came out and corroborated what she said, including longtime business associates who said they basically lived in terror of him for years because of his control over their financial future. The height of it were stories that tons of female game devs had saying they were all warned at some point or another to be careful around him in business and personal settings and it was one of those open secrets that working with him could be a boon to your career at the risk of him harassing and abusing you relentlessly.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dreadwind posted:

the best superpower is and always has been batman's: rich parents

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

T-man posted:

the best superpower is and always has been batman's: rich white parents

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All this game talk and nobody mentions the recent shenanigans with TakeTwo (owners of Roxkstar Games) loving with the Kerbal Space Program 2 devs into shutting down because they dared to turn down a buyout offer during negotiations, then proceeds to notify their staff vua job recruitments on LinkedIn?

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-ditching-the-original-kerbal-2-studio-take-two-reportedly-tried-to-poach-all-of-its-employees/

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Capital manages to ruin something as kicking rad as KSP. Smdh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mekchu posted:

All this game talk and nobody mentions the recent shenanigans with TakeTwo (owners of Roxkstar Games) loving with the Kerbal Space Program 2 devs into shutting down because they dared to turn down a buyout offer during negotiations, then proceeds to notify their staff vua job recruitments on LinkedIn?

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-ditching-the-original-kerbal-2-studio-take-two-reportedly-tried-to-poach-all-of-its-employees/

quote:

"Private Division opened our own studio, Intercept Games, to bring the development of Kerbal Space Program 2 for our beloved and owned KSP franchise in-house. In doing so, we are empowering our deeply passionate and talented team to focus on quality, and we are thrilled with the progress that they are making on the game," a Private Division rep said. "Next year’s launch of KSP2 will serve as another proud step in the history of the franchise, and we are confident that KSP fans will greatly enjoy where Intercept Games is taking the series."

I love that they had to add "beloved and owned" just to remind you.

I played tons of KSP back when it was just Squad making it and really fell in love with its charming quirks and personality and everything about building janky explody rockets. I haven't paid attention to it in a while and didn't even catch that it got sold, so now reading the creepy corporate husks at Take Two talk about it makes me very uncomfortable, like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in years except it's obvious that they're just a reptilian in a poorly-fitting skin suit.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

I played tons of KSP back when it was just Squad making it and really fell in love with its charming quirks and personality and everything about building janky explody rockets. I haven't paid attention to it in a while and didn't even catch that it got sold, so now reading the creepy corporate husks at Take Two talk about it makes me very uncomfortable, like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in years except it's obvious that they're just a reptilian in a poorly-fitting skin suit.

Looking into the industry and seeing Jebediah Kerman's soulless, empty eyes staring back at you, any soul having long been sucked dry by (HUGE PUBLISHER).

I always wondered what would happen to a company that turned down a buyout (since it seems so rare), and I guess that answers it -- you just get blackballed and driven to bankruptcy by the loser.

Oof.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

Not to sound all hipster but KSP got less fun when they added other planets, map mode, and navigation aids. Just launch and maybe turn over when they sky goes dark, gently caress knowing where you are. We figured that poo poo out by hand.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

T-man posted:

Not to sound all hipster but KSP got less fun when they added other planets, map mode, and navigation aids. Just launch and maybe turn over when they sky goes dark, gently caress knowing where you are. We figured that poo poo out by hand.

when its nerdy, the term is grognard

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

T-man posted:

Launch? Heh, I was into ksp when it was just a preliminary design document. On vinyl

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

pentyne posted:

Zoe Quinn accused Alec Holowka of abuse, and a short time later he killed himself so she was clearly a whore slinging mud at a good person.

Even worse before he passed he specifically said that he wished the best for Zoe and his family has asked that people not exploit his death to retaliate against her but LOL why respect a dead man's final requests if it allows you to score cheap internet points

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

T-man posted:

I usually just made missiles and launched them at the base.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The true KSP experience is hearing about how amazing it is, downloading it, spending 30-60 minutes trying to make anything at all happen, failing, then uninstalling it and never touching it again.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

first they came for the buildings, and i did not speak out, because i was not a building

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

The true KSP experience is hearing about how amazing it is, downloading it, spending 30-60 minutes trying to make anything at all happen, failing, then uninstalling it and never touching it again.

It's like you were looking over my shoulder during that free trial weekend they had a few months back.

Also going "Wow, there's a lot more numbers involved than I thought there would be based on the marketing"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PostNouveau posted:

It's like you were looking over my shoulder during that free trial weekend they had a few months back.

Also going "Wow, there's a lot more numbers involved than I thought there would be based on the marketing"

hence why it was better when you just got one number, and it was wrong

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

actually the true KSP experience is realizing that the $250 HOTAS you bought to play elite dangerous also works with KSP

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

dex_sda posted:

Capital manages to ruin something as kicking rad as KSP. Smdh

Think it was on the way to ruin already. Didn’t they push out paid mods without adding much after some of the original team left.

I expect the sequel will be chock full of micro transactions and DLC at launch.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Marenghi posted:

I expect the sequel will be chock full of micro transactions and DLC at launch catastrophic failure.

ftfy, it's KSP after all

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/gushers/status/1269110304086114304?s=20

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1269040308978941954

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if brand twitter is just the way superintelligent AI are preparing the public to empathize with nonhumans? Slowly build up "corporations are people" until "robots are people" is an easy pill to swallow.

(i am fully willing to either be a turncoat OR a diplomat for any evil/good AI that can pay well and eventually turn me into anime)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/tasercivilian/status/1268331018454355973

In case it gets deleted here is the official taser statement on the BLM protests.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/tasercivilian/status/1268331018454355973

In case it gets deleted here is the official taser statement on the BLM protests.

So the leopards who work with the Leopards Eating People's Faces party stand with the people whose faces they eat. That's good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We here at Glock are committed to ending racism and excessive police violence