Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

gredgie posted:

So if you were in charge of development, would you stretch Train Graveyard out? Position visiting it at another point in the game (albeit before Sector 7 is crushed) or just skip it entirely to preserve the sense of escalating drama?

I would've made it a side game, released only on the Wonderswan Color, that was necessary in order to understand the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

gredgie posted:

EDIT: In a bid to not entirely drift away from FF7R, I feel one of the most awkwardly placed areas was the Train Graveyard, since even the in-game characters have a desperate need to get back to Sector 7. In the O.G. game I didn't overly care about it as an area, in remake it's... okay I guess but basically the embodiment of filling out some lengthy and boring paperwork to get to good content. So if you were in charge of development, would you stretch Train Graveyard out? Position visiting it at another point in the game (albeit before Sector 7 is crushed) or just skip it entirely to preserve the sense of escalating drama?

The expansion of the Sewers and Train Graveyard and the addition of The Drum all seem to be a way to give Aerith more time in the party. In the original, she's in your party for maybe 7 total screens that have any combat whatsoever before she gets kidnapped. I don't know that there was a better solution for giving her that time without ruining tension somewhere or doing some heavy plot-event reorganization because Midgar in the original was so tightly-paced.

Maybe just make it better. Hah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

gredgie posted:

EDIT: In a bid to not entirely drift away from FF7R, I feel one of the most awkwardly placed areas was the Train Graveyard, since even the in-game characters have a desperate need to get back to Sector 7. In the O.G. game I didn't overly care about it as an area, in remake it's... okay I guess but basically the embodiment of filling out some lengthy and boring paperwork to get to good content. So if you were in charge of development, would you stretch Train Graveyard out? Position visiting it at another point in the game (albeit before Sector 7 is crushed) or just skip it entirely to preserve the sense of escalating drama?

I actually liked the atmosphere they made for the Train Graveyard. For the Corneo->Collapse sequence, I probably would've shortened the sewers a bit (the boss was at the beginning and the rest of the section was pretty unremarkable "sewer level" fare, while the Train Graveyard was more original). At that point you know they plan to drop the plate, but not when, so it shouldn't really feel like an imminent threat. Then I'd hold off on giving the "OK, they're right about to drop the plate" cutscenes until the very end of the Train Graveyard, as opposed to as soon as you get out of the depot building. If poo poo only starts to hit the fan just before the boss fight, then the rest of the level wouldn't feel feet-draggy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the train graveyard was key for the final fantasy feeling of having a dungeon that has its own lore and story apart from the main quest. yeah i think the place to trim would be one of the sewer sections or going back through the collapsed highway or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe they should have made them better dungeons tho

The Drum was seriously one of the worst FF dungeons ever. Sewers were okay, could have been a little better. Train graveyard was hanging out with the weird goth girl after school

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like the whole big thing they added with the lamps and fans and poo poo, that was actually pretty rad. Why couldn't the other dungeons been that good

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Literally can't escape this neverending Star Wars bs. We get it. TLJ/Rian is "team Liberal" and TRoS is "team Conservative." Because everything needs to be a polarized political identity now. Yawn. I'd bet a person's preference for these two movies is as predictive of their personal political identity as whether they live by a Cracker Barrel or Whole Foods.

precision posted:

Maybe they should have made them better dungeons tho

The Drum was seriously one of the worst FF dungeons ever. Sewers were okay, could have been a little better. Train graveyard was hanging out with the weird goth girl after school

Eh I know a lot of people didn't like the Drum but I thought it was pretty average. Why do you think it was the worst ever? It had PHS callback and Red doing goofy lever pulls <3

Arkage fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 4, 2020

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like star wars as a whole but the only actually good star wars movie was Rogue One. Empire Strikes Back was p decent too. New Hope is ok but has horrible pacing issues.

In actual FF7R news, i managed to solo hard mode Bahamut with Cloud :toot:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, the Drum was pretty classic FF "team swapping dungeon". Took me back to FFVI Kefka's tower. One thing I like about VIIRemake is that even though it has a tiny cast of only 4 characters, the combat dynamics keep feeling different because it swaps your team composition constantly. The Drum gave us the Cloud/Barret and Tifa/Aerith combos, and they were fun.

I think a lot of people determined that they HAD TO swap their materia every time the teams changed, and you really don't. Just give both teams some healing and elements and get to work.

Edit: During the game, you have combat sections with at least:
Cloud Solo
Barret Solo
Cloud/Tifa
Cloud/Barret
Cloud/Aerith
Barret/Tifa
Barret/Aerith
Tifa/Aerith
Cloud/Tifa/Barret
Cloud/Tifa/Aerith

And if you count the Colliseum/VR trials, you of course have solo Tifa and solo Aerith also.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 4, 2020

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i liked the drum

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
drum was ok. just a tad drawn out. kinda wished the character switching just happened automatically

the second sewer segment was prob the worst part for me.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I actually enjoyed the Drum. It also felt genuinely spooky, shades of Krelian's Lab. Remake's done a good job emphasizing both how monstrous Hojo's experiments are and giving Jenova so far a tangible feeling of Wrongness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't mind any of the dungeons really. I think the only issue with The Drum is that it serves the purpose of "Final Dungeon" so you know you're head to the Big poo poo and it feels like a delay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the drum just kills the pacing harder than Sephiroth killed Barret

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The drum was just exhaustingly long made worse by the fact that you couldn’t use Red XIII as a playable party member.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My secret theory btw is that the next game will be a stealth FF8 remake, just with FF7 characters

When it says FF7 Remake it means it. This isn't a remake of the entire story of the original game, but paradoxically it is a remake of the entire first game in broad terms. That's why you end the game with Firaga and kill Sephiroth. You won FF7.

but now. What's next? I don't think the cloud/Sephiroth duel mimicking the Squall/Seifer duel was just a cheeky wink to the audience. It was telling us.

We're gonna go to outer space

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

precision posted:

That's going to happen in FF7 Remake anyway unless they really rework the Huge Materia quests. Actually probably even if they massively change the huge materia quests, because while the huge materia plot is lame, going to space is awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Drum itself isn't that long, but Chapter 17 in general feels exhausting because there are just so many bosses. Most chapters have one boss, but a lot of the fights in the Drum feel like a miniboss (especially the Brain Pod), and then you get kind of a legit boss in Swordipede, and then you fight Jenova Dream, and then you fight Rufus, and then you fight Arsenal, all pretty much back-to-back. But most of those aren't in the Drum, so. And then Chapter 18 is another bit of a boss rush immediately after the Chapter 17 boss rush. I'm grateful you can skip the bike section on Hard mode, at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe for once in an FF game we'll go to another planet that isn't just the moon or in the case of Gran Pulse "basically a moon, kind of, whatever"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

How do you feel about a weird phase-offset planet or whatever the hell the deal was with Terra in Final Fantasy IX? It was an alien planet that Garland was trying to merge with Gaia to rejuvenate Terra with Gaia's still functional life/death cycle.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Final Fantasy games have you going to multiple worlds all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but not usually in the pew pew spaceship sense

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just remembered an extremely elaborate geocities page from the early 00s about how all the games take place on the same planet and here's the evidence! !

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Ace Transmuter posted:

Debate: Which Final Fantasy is basically Star Wars the most?

FFXII tries its level best but I think it's hard to top FFII on this one.

anakin is an anagram of nanaki

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Red XIII had no father

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

precision posted:

My secret theory btw is that the next game will be a stealth FF8 remake, just with FF7 characters

When it says FF7 Remake it means it. This isn't a remake of the entire story of the original game, but paradoxically it is a remake of the entire first game in broad terms. That's why you end the game with Firaga and kill Sephiroth. You won FF7.

but now. What's next? I don't think the cloud/Sephiroth duel mimicking the Squall/Seifer duel was just a cheeky wink to the audience. It was telling us.

you go to space in ff7 as well

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Does it really count as going somewhere if you don't even fight anything there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg34Nxb_Vjs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

precision posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth's duel was mimicking cloud and Sephiroths other duels though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
right, it's literally the ending of the original game except when Cloud tries to Omnislash Sephiroth he gets Daigo'd and told to go practice some more

(probably because Seph has been on the receiving end of it once already and learned the parry timings)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

right, it's literally the ending of the original game except when Cloud tries to Omnislash Sephiroth he gets Daigo'd and told to go practice some more

(probably because Seph has been on the receiving end of it once already and learned the parry timings)

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I always interpreted the final Cloud-v-Sephiroth fight of FFVII to be in Cloud's head; a sort of metaphorical representation of Cloud finally overcoming his fear of Sephiroth, and Sephiroth's control over him, rather than a fight that actually happened in some mysterious black void. Like, actual Sephiroth had already mutated into a horrible giant monstrosity by that point; he hadn't been seen with his lower body since Cloud nearly bisected him in Nibelheim five years ago. So why is it that even a chronologically-displaced or future-aware Sephiroth would be "prepared" for something that only happened in Cloud's head?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Maybe it's both. Like, fights like that are usually used as literal placeholders for something along those lines, right?

What's interesting to me is that Sephiroth knows how this is supposed to end and seemingly expects it to end that way eventually, just not now. Like, it's weird enough that he actually wants Cloud to get stronger but that could be construed for using him for different plans. But "not yet" implies acceptance that it's still going to happen, doesn't it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth's duel was mimicking cloud and Sephiroths other duels though.

It has moments that also line up with the Seifer/Squall duel that opens FF8

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

None of the last fight actually happened, the whole party is just stood around Cloud laid on the highway while he spazzes out on the ground.

"What happened, Cloud?"

"Uh...nothing. Hey, listen..."

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Veib posted:

Does it really count as going somewhere if you don't even fight anything there

That's not true, Cid fights his wife

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope there'll be more weapons going forward.

I want Yuffie's ultimate weapon to be a/pair of Tonberry Knife/Knives

I don't remember if she used two weapons or just one.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I hope there'll be more weapons going forward.

I want Yuffie's ultimate weapon to be a/pair of Tonberry Knife/Knives

I don't remember if she used two weapons or just one.

She used a range of Shuriken.

Having said that, I hope her Super Ball is in the game. The fact Cloud's Nail Bat is gives me hope!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's not true, Cid fights his wife

CID is a really cool character but I hope for the remake they tone down how verbally abusive he is to his wife/lover because that poo poo just isn’t gonna fly these days.

Given how well they reimaged / made classy / eliminated the trans jokes with the The Honeybee Inn and the cross-dressing scene, I am hopeful!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

She used a range of Shuriken.

Having said that, I hope her Super Ball is in the game. The fact Cloud's Nail Bat is gives me hope!

I just meant one at a time or dual wielding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I just meant one at a time or dual wielding them.

Ah. One at a time.