Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

if i had to make a list of don'ts for tourists i'd say: akihabara, robot restaurant, go kart thing, golden gai, anything related at all to lost in translation, i think the ghibli museum is probably dumb too but whatever

As mentioned I’ll agree on the go karts but the rest is just normie/top of the tour guide stuff, which makes it cliche, but can be fun.

Plus if you’re lumping in bad karaoke nights with Lost in Translation stuff then you’ve got another thing coming :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I had fun with the go kart thing but I def realize how it could be annoying and stressful with regular traffic and folks who don't have good driving skills. My wife booked it and I thought I was going to hate it but we were sending it and the guy leading the tour took us further than what we booked.

Also re:driving on the left side of the road. I rented a sport car in Hakone and did a day tour around some togue passes and getting used to be on the other side of the road took me like 20 minutes. It was harder for me to figure out shifting gears with my left hand. On a bike you should be fine relatively quickly imo.

My wife wants to plan a trip back to hit up all the places we missed out due to 'rona closures and I'm not looking forward to regular citizen and tourist levels Japan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

As mentioned I’ll agree on the go karts but the rest is just normie/top of the tour guide stuff, which makes it cliche, but can be fun.

Plus if you’re lumping in bad karaoke nights with Lost in Translation stuff then you’ve got another thing coming :colbert:

i love karaoke and singing terrible songs. karaoke is good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Advice for tourist in Japan:

Get drunk. Walk around. Nothing else matters.

Oh...get an egg samich at 711.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Martytoof posted:

I can't articulate why, but I was mostly disappointed with Akihabara. I somehow expected it to be.. bigger? I mean, I can appreciate it for what it is now, but I think I went in with way too grand a preconception. There's probably like three or four good stores to visit, and then just a bunch of other stores that sell exactly the same thing for two blocks. Maybe that's it -- I felt like once I saw one store I'd seen them all, give or take.

Akihabara used to be a place I really loved when I was in middle school/high school and before college as a computer science nerd who liked to tinker with transistors, computers, etc. In the 2000s, it took a really strong shift towards anime + idol things, and in 2010 the whole idol thing took off again with AKB48.

But yeah, I don't like Akihabara that much either, because a lot of those really random transistor shops in the back have closed. There are some small exceptions (like speakers, audio) and some cool board game stuff that is randomly hidden, but otherwise it feels sort of a shell of its former self.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There was really no point to them once the internet happened.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle
As long as Taito HEY! is in Akihabara it will have a stop over from me every trip to Japan (also the Yodobashi Cameria is fun to go to but I know its not like a super unique thing, though it does have a French Toast Factory on the top floor which might not be at other locations). I like checking out Beep and all the other retro game stores with the understanding that the prices are better in other locations.

Also the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka was great. Dunno about the rest of the list. Thanks for attending my TEDX talk

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will defend department store restaurant floors to my dying breath.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
tired: department store restaurant floors

wired: department store basement prepared food stalls

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stringent posted:

tired: department store restaurant floors

wired: department store basement prepared food stalls

My first food memory, or at least the first one that comes to mind is being hella jetlagged and going to Takashimaya Shinjuku and eating soba high up in the air looking down at the trains coming in and out of the station.

And then we went to the food floors in the basement.

I guess what I'm saying is, come to Takashimaya, it's got everything you need. Why even go see other things in Tokyo??

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Akihabara was good back when Japan dominated consumer electronics. Then iPod happened and now it's just block after block of huge anime tits

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Huge anime tits >>>>>>> iphones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yo I saw some of the iPhone cases you can buy in Akihabara. You definitely don't have to choose between the two!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I still want to try the marikart and I dgaf if it bothers goons

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I can't articulate why, but I was mostly disappointed with Akihabara. I somehow expected it to be.. bigger? I mean, I can appreciate it for what it is now, but I think I went in with way too grand a preconception. There's probably like three or four good stores to visit, and then just a bunch of other stores that sell exactly the same thing for two blocks. Maybe that's it -- I felt like once I saw one store I'd seen them all, give or take.

Totally agreed. It's like two square blocks of maid cafes, electronics stores and nerd poo poo, and then it immediately tapers off into "normal tokyo" of real estate offices and the millionth Toyo building. Also everything there closes at like 9PM because they're still just stores. You kind of expect it to be some kind of 24 hour nerdfest as far as the eye can see but it's really just the two streets west of the station.

But yeah the best thing to do it just get a good buzz and walk around the big spots and also go to Enoshima

gently caress I miss living in Fujisawa Honmachi sometimes. It was like living in an anime background, just with more old people. If I ever move out to the suburbs again I'd like to live in one of those upper class sleeper cities like that.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It seems like the go-kart people are having a rough time with the epidemic too, so they turned to crowdfunding, but they made the questionable choice of picking a domestic Japanese service (Camp-Fire).

The campaign runs for the month of June. So far, they have raised exactly 500 yen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

leather fedora posted:

It seems like the go-kart people are having a rough time with the epidemic too, so they turned to crowdfunding, but they made the questionable choice of picking a domestic Japanese service (Camp-Fire).

The campaign runs for the month of June. So far, they have raised exactly 500 yen.

Part of me feels kind of bad for them, but also :lol: at 500 yen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

prompt posted:

I still want to try the marikart and I dgaf if it bothers goons

I mean you do you but realize it’s Toad’s Turnpike but Lakitu ain’t there to pick your rear end up if you get flattened by a big rig.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bofast posted:

Part of me feels kind of bad for them, but also :lol: at 500 yen.

I see they got the plastic baggie of 1Y coins I mailed.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I see they got the plastic baggie of 1Y coins I mailed.

I know this is true because five hundred 1 yen coins would weigh about 0.1kg and be easily mailable

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Robot Restaurant is stupid but it’s fun and it takes like 90 minutes, I thought it was worth it

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I used to love it but the robots are starting to get a bit tatty looking. Plus the last time I went the entire crowd was Irish rugby fans which somehow ended up making a show at the loving robot restaurant seem too loud and rowdy.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I loved the robot restaurant, but I was chugging chuhais with my friend the whole time so I was going to have a great time.

But yeah as a gaudy tourist attraction it's perfect with all the over the top crazy Japan a tourist needs if that's what they want to experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I loved the robot restaurant, but I was chugging chuhais with my friend the whole time so I was going to have a great time.

But yeah as a gaudy tourist attraction it's perfect with all the over the top crazy Japan a tourist needs if that's what they want to experience.

I went in February; one of the two guys I was traveling with had been before and suggested it. It's not something I probably would have picked out just by looking at the come-ons for it, but I was glad I saw it. It's not something I feel like I need to make a lot of repeat visits to but it's a good way to spend a couple of hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve never done it because I keep leaving some “touristy” stuff to do for “next time”. Nothing against the idea, and I’ll probably try it out if I find myself in the area with nothing to do one day 2021.

I haven’t done any teamlab stuff either, and as huge a Disney nerd as I am, I haven’t stepped foot near Tokyo Disney. They’re all things I will eventually check off the list, but I’m in no hurry :)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Lol, just let them do their poo poo why do you care?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Plus the last time I went the entire crowd was Irish rugby fans which somehow ended up making a show at the loving robot restaurant seem too loud and rowdy.

Hahahaha. Oh no, I can absolutely imagine that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

BB2K posted:

I dunno all my friends who've been to Japan and went to robot restaurant and golden gai really enjoyed it

Have you considered that your friends are dumb idiots?

I'm just here to make sure the discussion flows freely, I am not taking a position.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I haven’t done any teamlab stuff either, and as huge a Disney nerd as I am, I haven’t stepped foot near Tokyo Disney. They’re all things I will eventually check off the list, but I’m in no hurry :)

Imagine California Disneyland, but with like 80% less charm, 60% more open blank space area, 100% more people, 200% worse weather, 400% longer lines and the entire place smelling like curry-flavored popcorn. I just saved you $135.

Funnily I've also heard from other people that the robot costumes are pretty rough and ratty looking these days as well and that the food sucked.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I didn't go to Disneyland, but I did go to DisneySea and none of what you just said applies to that. It's also only like $70 to go to DisneySea.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That description of Tokyo Disneyland is pretty close. It's not good. It feels huge with too much empty space, not enough shade, and just weird. However the pooh ride there is one of the best rides in the Disney system.

Tokyo Disney Sea, on the other hand, is the best park I've been to. It's wonderful. You don't even have to go on rides to enjoy yourself. Just walking around is a thrill. The place is absolutely gorgeous. And not overly expensive, either.

If you go, make sure to do Big Band Beat, the alladin ride and the walk around hunt near the pirate ship. I forget what it is called, exploration something maybe.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nanigans posted:

I didn't go to Disneyland, but I did go to DisneySea and none of what you just said applies to that. It's also only like $70 to go to DisneySea.

DisneySea is like Disneyland but just with less interesting or attractive stuff to do, so fewer people go there and so the lines aren't so long. The main reason I've heard people talk about going there is because "you can drink beer!!!!". It also mostly smells like curry popcorn, though, so I dispute your claim. I found DisneySea to be basically a walking track with a few lights and music playing speakers and the Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones.

I'm also assuming one doesn't go to Tokyo Disneyland alone because that would be weird as gently caress and so you'd buy two tickets for around 14,000 yen or around $135.

I think Fuji-Q Highland beats both their asses bigtime and the wait times are way, way shorter.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 13, 2020

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Disneysea owns

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

disneysea is really fun, especially if you, like me, have a tremendous fear of heights so tower of terror and raging spirits are about the maximum tolerable type of rollercoaster and therefore enjoyable

if you put me in fujiyama or something you'd probably find a corpse when the train comes back to the station, oddly with completely empty bowels

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Went to both Disneys during Easter last year and Sea was by far my favorite. Really liked Tower of Terror and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll go to Tokyo Disney just to tick off the box. The one I really want to do is Disney Sea. I was also the guy who was perfectly happy just sitting and eating around Epcot all day taking in the sights without doing more than like one or two rides or “experiences” or whatever so I’m pretty sure I’m going to love the Sea.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 14, 2020

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
yeah if that's what you want you're gonna have a good time with sea. it's maybe my favorite disney park? and it's for sure the best looking one.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm an annual passholder for the Florida parks and go multiple times a year. Epcot was my favorite park until DisneySea. I liked the rides a lot (Indiana Jones was awesome and their ToT is even cooler than Florida's, though Journey to the Center of the Earth was closed when we went, but that looks cool too). The food was way better than the theme park food in Florida, barring the stuff sold at World Showcase in Epcot during festivals. And it's so goddamn cheap compared to the U.S. prices --both foods and tickets. The park is also just really pretty. Lotta nice architecture and theming. You can tell it's one of the very newest parks made 'cause everything looks fresh and modern. And oh yeah, Big Band Beat was a ton of fun.

But, my favorite part by far, were all of the cosplayers. I'd say a good 20-30% of the people there were dressed up as Disney characters, and there was at least one lady who was carrying around a rolling trunk with costume changes. My favorite was the family of five where the dad was Aladdin, mom was Jafar, one of the little girls was Jasmine, and the two babies were Iago and Abu. :3: Warmed my cold, no-child-wanting heart.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp

It's travel reward point based, cancelable up to two hours before takeoff, and I'm not booking any accommodations that aren't 100% refundable so I guess I just have to hope we're in a better place a year from now. If not, I guess no real loss other than another year of crushed travel dreams :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

I think Fuji-Q Highland beats both their asses bigtime and the wait times are way, way shorter.

FujiQ is far better in terms of American style roller coasters. But they don't bother with crowd management, so if you go on the wrong day you could very well be looking at 4 hour+ wait times. This happened to our group once. Major attractions were 6-8 hours, and even the generic county fair-style crap was 3 hour wait times. That's exactly why they made it free to enter a couple years ago -- now you can get tickets for just the specific attractions you're interested in. They also sell fastpass style tickets if you don't want to wait several hours, but they're like 1300-2000 yen a pop and have to be reserved days in advance IIRC.

If you go to DisneySea on even the most crowded day of the year, there's still an entry limit. Between that and free fastpasses/lotteries there's still plenty to do.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 15, 2020