Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 22: Incorrect

As usual, we're immediately going to go back and see what lies down the other path.

So let's jump right to the decision scene.

I'll just skip through all the dialogue we've already seen.

Wait why can't I skip this one?

Oh. Oh! There it is! My tongue feels all tingly!

I don't feel anything though...

Nothing here either...

No that's not what happened. What is this.

So, that must mean...

Remember the coin flip? How going back and replaying the decision actually changed the value of the coin? Well, the same effect is in play here. The case with the antidote has changed!

The only other line that's different is the one where Carlos is summing up the results of the test, when trying to figure out which case to unlock.

The right answer here is now case B, since that's the only one that Akane tried and the others didn't. But we're looking for a wrong answer, and if anyone felt numb at all then case A is definitely wrong, since no one tried that one.

The game never actually shows you which case you opened, and they all look the same inside. So the first part of the scene is exactly the same whether we're right or wrong.

Carlos is just as confident.

Everyone makes awkward drinking motions, and falls down.

Music: Sacrificial Demise (Demise 2nd Mix)

I'm sorry...you guys...

Junpei falls over, and Carlos's hand drops.

Well, can't say I didn't see it coming.

At least we completed another fragment?

Oh well. We've still got 10 new fragments left, and the three Execution fragments are still available for replay. What'll it be this time? Select the story fragment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

zero_escape.txt posted:

There's something hilariously dumb going on, isn't there? It's not adding up unless something hilariously dumb like the "you were OLD THE ENTIRE TIME, SIGMA!" thing is happening.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Let's have C team execute Q team.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember Trash Disposal having one of Phi's greatest bits of sarcasm, so I say we go for that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DKII posted:

I don't know what I find more incredible. That my google search for ZTD quotes came up with a mis-quote, or that no one (inlcuding me) noticed for 10 pages.

I mean, I wondered, but I figured maybe after all this time I'd just misremembered. Here, I'll get that for ya. Life is unfair... but we don't have to be.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Super Jay Mann posted:

Mira is an irredeemable murderer but you can at least sympathize with her way of thinking, or at least pity it. Also she isn't real.

Eric is just a dumb cowardly loser who thinks highly of himself and condescends to others without an ounce of self-awareness which means he immediately retreats into "selfish prick" mode under this game's level of duress (make no mistake, him taking the bulletbolt for Mira was definitely not for her sake, but for his. Though that's just my reading of the situation I'll concede). All of these are deeply undesirable and offputting qualities. And yes, Eric himself also isn't real, but what he is is most definitely too real. :gonk:

There's also the part where Eric is always a creep and and rear end in a top hat, but Mira being a serial killer is only really made obvious in this fragment. So if you've played other fragments first, rooting for Eric's painful demise whenever he opens his stupid mouth becomes natural and doesn't change when you learn about Mira. I'm guessing this attitude spread faster in the thread, because a lot of people have played the game before.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

DKII posted:

Okay, down the hatch!

Carlos, you are clearly just pantomiming drinking a vial. Moreso than the other two I mean.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Trash disposal.

And I've never even seen anything about this game except for this LP and the abandoned one last year which didn't get nearly this far. Eric is just written as an rear end in a top hat from the start and I haven't seen anything to change that opinion.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He makes a very effective hate sink.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is the shuffling around random every time you replay this scene or is it fixed (E the first time, B subsequent times)?

Fumbles posted:

There's something hilariously dumb going on, isn't there? It's not adding up unless something hilariously dumb like the "you were OLD THE ENTIRE TIME, SIGMA!" thing is happening.

+1 for the hilarious dumb.
Although what broke me in VLR wasn't the "you're old", it was the moon.

By the time Sigma was always old I was too numb to the nonsense to raise anything more than pro forma objections. I think Sigma's abject loving terror during that scene helped it somewhat at least.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Voting Trash Disposal because I think we're well overdue some D-Team.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Omobono posted:

Is the shuffling around random every time you replay this scene or is it fixed (E the first time, B subsequent times)?

It's random every time you play the scene. There are a couple others with a similar feature that we'll get to later.

Poll is somewhat close so I'll leave it open until I get home from work.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Omobono posted:

+1 for the hilarious dumb.
Although what broke me in VLR wasn't the "you're old", it was the moon.

By the time Sigma was always old I was too numb to the nonsense to raise anything more than pro forma objections. I think Sigma's abject loving terror during that scene helped it somewhat at least.

The only detail about Sigma being old and never noticing that really bugged me was his eye. I can handwave him never looking in any reflective surface at all - maybe he was just too preoccupied and poo poo. But he never even touched his face to notice the big honking implant thing? Not one facepalm at all the bullshit he couldn't believe? Not even enough eyebrow raising or something that'd scrunch or stretch his face around enough that he could feel something was weird?

I can ignore all the moon junk too even though it's definitely way more dumb, but that detail about his face really sticks out to me. Cause I'm the type who has a very very hard time not touching my face, even during all this covid poo poo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bifauxnen posted:

The only detail about Sigma being old and never noticing that really bugged me was his eye. I can handwave him never looking in any reflective surface at all - maybe he was just too preoccupied and poo poo. But he never even touched his face to notice the big honking implant thing? Not one facepalm at all the bullshit he couldn't believe? Not even enough eyebrow raising or something that'd scrunch or stretch his face around enough that he could feel something was weird?

I can ignore all the moon junk too even though it's definitely way more dumb, but that detail about his face really sticks out to me. Cause I'm the type who has a very very hard time not touching my face, even during all this covid poo poo.

His arms were cybernetic replacements; it's not outside the realm of possibility that he programmed them such that if they touched the area around his occular implant, it would send signals to the brain saying, "This part of your face feels like a normal human face."

Granted, that still doesn't explain stuff like blinking or not noticing any oddities in the area around his eye whenever he made different facial expressions, but it would at least serve as an explanation for why his hands didn't notice anything weird when he touched his face.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

W.T. Fits posted:

His arms were cybernetic replacements; it's not outside the realm of possibility that he programmed them such that if they touched the area around his occular implant, it would send signals to the brain saying, "This part of your face feels like a normal human face."

Granted, that still doesn't explain stuff like blinking or not noticing any oddities in the area around his eye whenever he made different facial expressions, but it would at least serve as an explanation for why his hands didn't notice anything weird when he touched his face.

The thing I really love about Zero Escape is that fanwanking explanations like this become just fun and transparently ridiculous instead of trying to take them too seriously.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 23: Fire

Somewhat close, but it's time to take D-Team through another puzzle room.

For the first time, we see a fragment that looks like it has two decisions in it. And I'm suspicious of that revolver given what we went through in the Study...

Well, let's get started then.

Music: Sinisterness Phase 1

This room is...

The Trash Disposal Room. Isn't that what it's called on the map?

D-Team wakes up at 18:00. Again. Just like the Healing Room. And every other puzzle room fragment we've seen.

Looks like D-Team is already missing one of its members.

Missing Lip Animations: 19

Maybe she managed to get out of this room.

Do you think we can?

It opened... Sigma! It opened!

Another room where we're not actually locked in. Which just means we'll be given some other incentive to stick around...

Er, um, well, I didn't really expect it to, so...

As far as we know, D-Team's only remembered experience so far is the Execution fragment, where they had free reign to wander the whole ward. So Diana being surprised that the door opens is a little odd, here. Sigma being chill about it is just as unexpected, given his background with VLR.

A few knocks can be heard here.

Sigma and Diana turn towards the source of the knocks, then run over.

Phi!

What the hell are you doing in there?!

I'm locked in here!

Why...?

This is where I was when I woke up! Stuck inside this incinerator!

A slow pan from Phi at the window...

To the incinerator flame jets.

Sigma tugs on the door a couple of times, to no avail.

I don't see one. Probably an electronic lock.

The familiar chime, and computer lady has a new line.

[Computer Lady:] Incineration in...thirty minutes.

No one's real happy about that news.

Music: Strain 2nd Mix

Stay calm!

Either stop the incinerator startup...

Or unlock the door...

Okay, I'll see if I can do anything on this side!

I'm counting on you!

I'd like to avoid the worst sunburn of my life in here!

Let's hurry!

Right!

This time we're not trying to leave the Trash Disposal Room itself, just trying to find a way out of the incinerator for Phi. Still works!

Music: Trash Disposal Room

Not a lot to see in here other than the control panel itself. There are only a handful of other interactive items.

Is this a thermometer? It must measure the temperature inside the incinerator...

Is that a coin at the base of the needle...? Why would it be there?

Only two things are actually clickable on this panel. There's the arrow gauge / thermometer here.

I wonder what it's for?

Maybe getting the correct combination will stop the incineration... Ah, not likely.

But it's still worth a shot to see if it does.

And a slider for inputting a three-letter combination right next to it.

Drag the sliders down to change the letters at the top. There's no "check" button so I guess it automatically solves as soon as you hit the right combination.

Hmm... Well, that was wrong...

I don't think we have all the information. We need to find a clue first...

I don't think we can use our hands to open this... But Phi should see better once it is.

You can see I'm just fine. The stench from the trash pile in the back is gagging me though.

Thank God... We need to get you out quick... Have you found anything helpful over there?

Nothing yet. It's too dark to look around. Can you see if you can make it brighter in here?

Okay, got it. We'll see what we can do.

Step 1 for this room: Figure out how to open the shutters.

What's this thing next to the window?

...Is this a gas torch?

Seems like you answered your own question there, Diana.

This makes me want to sear some meat or fish...

If we make it out safely, I definitely want to eat something nice.

Next up is the door to the incinerator.

This door connects to the incinerator, right? If we can open it, then Phi can...

Throwaway line for the lights again.

Weird spot on the floor here.

Maybe it's a trap?

...We better not stand on it if we can help it.

Next up is this spot on the wall.

Hmm, looks like it. There are four screws holding the cover in place.

Now for this odd pillar.

Hm, if it does then that's one less thing to worry about. Let's find the key that fits this.

We'd definitely feel calmer once Phi is safe. Wait a second... Isn't this keyhole too big?

No way we're abandoning Phi! We have to stop the process or open the incinerator door!

We're not locked in, but we can't leave.

There's a weird poster next to the door.

We could put Phi under the-- Gah, this is no time for jokes!

...Let's just hurry and save her.

The far corner has a set of lockers, and something hanging from the light.

That's... I think it's a revolver. If it's real, maybe we can use it for something.

But we can't reach it from here.

Right. And even if we got to it, there's a padlock on it. Hmm, what should we do...

We ignore it for now, is what we do. There sure is a lot of weaponry in the puzzle rooms in this game.

So let's open up the lockers next.

They're not locked, which is a minor miracle. First up, a pair of goggles of some kind.

Why not try it on? You might look good.

If you think complimenting everything a woman wears is okay, you're very wrong, sir.

That comment seemed rather innocent, but Sigma's also a horny old man trapped in a body with the hormone levels of a college student.

You may notice there's a color filter over everything while we have the goggles selected. Basically, we're wearing them and they're changing what we're seeing as a result.

I'll put them on in a bit, let's finish exploring the room first.

And the tool to open it is INSIDE the box... drat you, Zero.

That's all for the lockers. Nice that the game outright tells you to stop wasting your time clicking on every little pixel.

There's one more thing back in this corner to check out.

If it is, do you think it's connected to the inside of the incinerator?

Possibly, but it looks like it's locked...

Oh, I think we can input some numbers here.

Step 2 for this room: Unlock the dust chute.

Drag and click the dials to set the numbers.

U-Um... Guessing won't work, I suppose.

We don't have enough information yet. Let's look for a hint.

The other panel, next to the dust chute, doesn't have anything interactive on it.

That's the whole room. The locked toolbox isn't going to do us any good. And the gas torch seems like it might be useful later but doesn't work on anything in here right now.

I hope you saw that the screen changed colors after the mask was picked up, otherwise you might not realize it needed to be selected to be "put on", here.

The first thing we see is some kind of additional graphic on the dust chute.

What are they?

Um... A screwdriver and two screws, I think.

Maybe it's some sort of clue. Let's take note of it.

Don't know how these relate to a numeric code yet. That's why it's Step 2, not Step 1.

Looking around the room, the only other object that appears to show a difference is the poster. The letters "tic" are circled on the poster, and also show up in a pop-out window.

...Huh? Where?

Right here. The "tic" in "plastic" is circled and in big letters.

Ah, you must be able to see that because of the goggles you have on.

I think you call this...augmented reality? But why do only these letters appear?

Gee, is there anywhere we might want to input three letters?

Back to the something-o-meter!

I think the letters can be changed on this meter.

Yeah, it looks like we need to use the sliders.

Three letters... I feel like I just saw them somewhere.

Er, this SHOULD be the right answer...

And the shutter comes down. Step 1 complete!

I did it!

Now that I can see in here, I'll try to look for something useful.

drat you, Zero. She looks so nervous locked in a place like that! I have to get her out!

Right! We have to either find her a way out or stop the incineration process!

Hey, uh, I can't really hear you guys, but could you get your butts moving and do something?!

I probably should have taken the goggles off. Anyway, here's another spot where people tend to get stuck - trying to figure out how to switch to Phi and explore the inside of the incinerator.

The key is to click on the window.

How are you doing over there, Phi?

Phi responds, and we switch to her perspective. It's a nod to a similar room in VLR, with multiple characters isolated to different parts of the room and having to switch between them.

I don't see a keyhole, so it has to be electronically locked.

But it's better that I'm the only one who got locked in.

Diana... Sigma.. I'm counting on you guys.

Phi talks to herself a bit in here.

...Here's hoping that doesn't end up being me.

The dust chute indeed does lead into the incinerator, but it's a one-way trip.

Not sure where that would lead, anyway. Maybe an air vent?

Maybe there's something I can hide in or behind if the incineration starts up...

...Yeah, I didn't think so.

I know, maybe if I stuff the trash into the furnace... Dammit, it stinks to high heaven!

I need to stop firing myself up or else I really will be...

...Stay calm, Phi.

Huh, something's screwed on here.

There's an object sitting in the furnace nozzle that sparkles a bit to stand out more.

It's just a tool for taking screws off.

Phi has her own inventory here, of course.

Before we take the obvious step of using the screwdriver on the screws, let's finish exploring.

It must be pretty sensitive.

In case you forget, the description of the item is also updated with the measured weight/mass.

I should keep in mind what temperature it's going to be when the incineration starts...

It's not the heat that kills you, it's the humidity. And the fire.

...May as well take it off.

That's it for this room. Let's see what this screwdriver can do!

...I'll hold on to the screws just in case.

Two screws I removed from the wall... Maybe I can use them for something?

Sigma! How much do you weigh?

HUH? What's with this all the sudden... How much do YOU weigh?

Call HR, this is sexual harassment, old man. Just answer. Is it 188 pounds?

Yeah, more or less... How'd you know?

Is it a coincidence it says that? No, it can't be. It must be part of Zero's plan...

Might as well.

Very sensitive scale in the incinerator for some reason.

We've got the information we needed. Time to switch back!

Diana still has the goggles on. Whoops.

The dust chute has a picture of a screwdriver and two screws on it. Phi just happened to get a way to convert those to numbers.

I tried putting in 188 here and just got a generic error message. I guess it does explicitly say "g" for "grams" on here, even if you didn't happen to look with the goggles. Anyway, screwdriver = 133g and two screws = 22g, so the total is 155g.

Well done. Now we can send things to the other side.

Not sure Phi ever actually communicated the weights of those objects to Diana, but sure.

Nothing has really changed on this side of the room, but we have a toolbox that's screwed shut and Phi has a screwdriver, so let's send that over.

Yeah. She should be able to open it since she has a screwdriver over there.

Phi! I'm sending the toolbox down the chute. Please take it!

And down the chute it goes.

A toolbox. There better be some tools inside that I can use...

Hm... It's not opening. It's screwed shut.

We automatically switch over to Phi. Let's grab the screwdriver and open this thing up.

Doesn't look like the tools are set correctly... It's just like a puzzle.

Our goal here is to get all the tools onto the game board, lining up all the red X's with all the blue X's, with no overlaps. Like with many such puzzles, the easiest places to start are the corners and edges. In this case, only one tool can line up with that blue X on the upper left corner, without blocking the other blue X right below it. The rest of the pieces can be laid in similarly. Here's the full solution at 4x speed:

Good. They're all in place now. Oh, the bottom compartment opened.

It says "Max out the needle!" Needle... Hmm... Diana! Is there a needle over there?

A needle? No, I don't think so... Oh, but there's a needle over on the meter.

Which meter?

Um, I think it's for a thermometer?

I see...

Do we have anything that can max out a thermometer?

They look too big.

Phi doesn't, but Diana might. No, not these goggles.

We picked this torch up way at the beginning and haven't found a use for it, so let's send it over.

Phi! I'm dropping the gas torch into the dust chute! Please take it!

A small gas torch.

Now to see how much this gas torch weighs...

There's no point to weighing the torch, but I thought it was neat that they put in logic for it.

...The temperature is going up.

Phi didn't actually explain her plan so Sigma thinks she's cooking in there.

Huh? Well, I'm not bacon yet... Did something happen?

The needle on the thermometer here is shooting up! Is it getting hot in there?!

No, I'm fine. I see, so it IS connected to the thermometer outside.

I'm so glad... Huh? The coin here is...

I doubt there's anything to it. But I bet we can use it for something.

You can actually skip the whole toolbox part of the puzzle if you can figure out that using the torch on the thermometer might make something happen.

There are a few things left in the room. A revolver hangs from the ceiling in a locked glass case - the coin doesn't help there. It also isn't much use on the pedastal with the large keyhole and the "Stop" label. Maybe Phi can use it?

Hey Phi! Do you want this coin?

No!

Okay!

So much for that.

I don't think we need to send this coin to Phi. She told us she doesn't want it.

Next to the pedastal, we still have this button behind a screwed-in grate. It's a bit unusual, and there are no hints towards it, but there aren't really any other options, either.

The screws all fly off at the same time, somehow.

Seems like we didn't need a screwdriver after all.

Did Sigma somehow learn a lesson from the Healing Room?

I'd like for a tiny guillotine to come out when you push it and chop off your hand...

Wh-What... ?! I-I'm going to forget you said that thank you very much. I'm pushing it!

Where did that come from Diana?

Oh good, my hand's still intact.

Something came out of the floor. What is it? It kind of looks like a chair from here.

Not a guillotine, just a creepy chair filled with restraints.

We don't have anything left in our inventory, so guess we have to check out the chair. You want to sit on it?

Wha-- Hey! Don't be hasty!

I--I see. It's harmless... Why is it here, then?

Do you want to try it out, too?

Eh, sure. Maybe we can figure something out by sitting on it...

Remember that clue that Phi found in the incinerator, that said "188 pounds"? And how it referred to Sigma's weight?

Well, the chair reacts when Sigma sits in it.

That's all automatic, by the way - the clue isn't really meaningful other than to provide context, since Sigma will always try to sit in the chair once you click on it.

What?!

Wh-What the hell! I can't move!

[Computer Lady:] Incineration in...three minutes.

What?! Hey Sigma! Diana! What the hell's going on!

I think we tripped something! I'm restrained, but Diana's fine!

What did you say?!

N-No... Why did it... It was fine when I sat on it, so why...?!

Take a deep breath, Diana. We can get past this if we just deal with it calmly.

Urg... O-Okay...hold on! I'll find a way to get the two of you out!

I'm counting on you. Phi first, she doesn't have much time left...!

Maybe we can find something in the chair to let Sigma out.

Mrff, what--oof, are gaaah doing-- STOP. What are you doing with my face?!

I--I'm sorry...! I just thought maybe there's something...

If you have the time to mess with people's faces, then go search somewhere else!

And now Sigma's trapped too... Oh, what should I do...

Stop focusing on me, Diana! I'm only being restrained. Phi! She doesn't have much time!

Y-You're right... I need to stop that!

Oh, I'm sure we have plenty of time.

Oh...! Uh, wow, your chest is...strong.

...Satisfied?

...What are you doing?

Um... I just thought, maybe an important clue would be hidden somewhere...

...Well, there IS something important there.

O-Oh my God, I'm sorry! It's not like that! I didn't mean... It's not like that!

Oh Sigma, what should I do...

Stay calm. First, you'll have to let go of my hand. It's okay, just look for some clues.

Eventually we run out of body parts to manhandle.

Sigma...

I told you, don't worry about me! Phi doesn't have much time...!

Fine, let's go look at the box that fell down here.

This was hanging from the ceiling. I could maybe use the gun if I can get it out...!

I think the keyhole is hexagonal... Oh, the time is...!

Diana doesn't have anything left to help with the box, maybe Phi can do something?

Phi, I'm dropping the box down! Could you open the lock for us?!

...But just how am I gonna open it. Let me just examine it first.

A padlock... I can't open it without a key. Oh? The keyhole is shaped like a hexagon... Hm.

Remember the screwdriver with the hexagon-shaped grip?

Yes! It's open! Diana, I opened the lock! Pull the chain up!

Got it!

We have to click on the chain to bring the box back up.

How is a gun going to help right now, anyway?

The muzzle... Maybe it'll fit...

The first hint is pretty obscure, but there's only one thing left to interact with, anyway. The second click gives something more direct.

Hmm, will it work?

I think the gun will go in here... PLease fit...!

Uhhh....

...We did?

The puzzle rooms are actually very well story-boarded, finding interesting and unique ways around the traditional setup. But the window dressing doesn't always line up, like here.

Music: Dcom (The Beginning)

It appears the preparations are complete.

Guess he's going to taunt us himself, this time.

But first, I will tell you a story about the past.

Seventeen years ago, a woman was killed. As a result, after a falsely accused man was sentenced to death, his wife took her own life. A taxi driver died in an accident along with his passenger, a surgeon. The child who awaited a critical operation also perished. Six people all together...

Six deaths in this story, and six X-Passes needed to open the X-Door. Is that a coincidence?

Why did these six die?

Because of a snail. A single, solitary snail took the lives of six people.

This story continues the one we heard way back in the Execution fragment. A woman was jogging, and because she encounted a snail, took a different path than normal. On that other path, she ran into a killer. And several other dominoes fell as a result.

No not just six...but six billion... Six billion people will lose their lives as a result of that lone snail.

Somehow those events also lead to the release of the virus that kills six billion?

Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?

LP title reference counter: 4

Now then, to explain the rules.

It should be clear that a revolver is set up beside the chair right now. It contains six rounds. Three are live, and three are blank, though they are randomized within the chamber. Pull the trigger, and the odds a live round will fire from the gun are six to three, or 50%.

Oh, and the door to the incinerator... It automatically opens the moment it detects the sound of the revolver's discharge. Live round or blank, it doesn't matter which is fired.

A warning horn goes off, as the incinerator appears to start up.

Three minutes remain until the incinerator fires. What will you do? Pull the trigger, or refrain...?

Wasn't it three minutes left back when Sigma first got in the chair? Eh, whatever.

Diana, both of their lives rest upon your decision.

Fade to black...

Music: Extreme Urgency (What Will You Decide?)

There's no time, Diana. Pull the trigger.

Logically, which one has more to gain?

If we don't pull that trigger, I'd obviously stay alive. My chance at survival would clearly be 100%.

But then it'd guarantee Phi's death, as her survival rate would be 0.

Chance of survival -- 100%.

A blank round, and my head doesn't suddenly have a new hole. It's 50:50.

We had a 50:50 chance at something way back at the beginning of the game...

It's either "100 and 0" or "100 and 50". It's obvious which one is the wiser choice.

Logically, he's right.

What if the shot is a live bullet?!

Do you really want Diana to end up blowing your head off with her own hands?!

Don't worry about me...

Another cool touch is that any of Phi's lines that are spoken while the camera is outside of the incinerator, like this one, have her voice sound somewhat muffled.

Diana, please, listen to me.

Isn't it obvious?

Yes, but he wants you to say it out loud so that you'll subconsciously buy into it.

If you don't pull it at all, one of us will definitely die.

More chimes, and then the computer lady speaks this time.

The vibes here are very similar to the Healing Room, with Sigma and Phi both trying to convince Diana to decide their way.

Here comes the heartbeat.

Music: Tough Decision (Make Your Choice)

Can Diana do it? Should Diana do it? Pull the trigger?

DKII fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 21, 2020

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shot his rear end. He has at least one clone so he'll be fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

daermon posted:

Shot his rear end. He has at least one clone so he'll be fine.

Not yet he doesn't.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Not yet he doesn't.

Sure he does. It's a plot point in VLR that K exists as a fail safe for Doctor Klim. If he dies here, he should just zip into his clone body in the future.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hey, we can always try again if something goes wrong.

quote:

I'd like for a tiny guillotine to come out when you push it and chop off your hand...

Hmm. Diana for Zero IV?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So it looks like this fragment has 3 outcomes on that chart overview. I guess it's 1) Shoot, Sigma doesn't die. 2) Shoot, Sigma dies. 3) Don't shoot, Phi dies.

Unless this somehow turns out to be a trick scenario and not shooting is the correct answer.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just put your finger in the barrel and pull the trigger. It'll stop the bullet and then everyone lives.

But really, though, pull the trigger, Diana.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

As an aside, the first promo image released for ZTD was this:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sorry Phi, Sigma gets a turn to be right this time!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

She's even got the bird cage necklace. Never noticed that before.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

As an aside, the first promo image released for ZTD was this:

If anyone's been clicking on the music links, that's also the background image shown on them.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

whoops somehow doubleposted

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 5, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, it's also the cover of the OST and the Japanese box art.

Speaking of bluebird-shaped things: are you planning to touch on Operation Bluebird, DKII?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

Yeah, it's also the cover of the OST and the Japanese box art.

Speaking of bluebird-shaped things: are you planning to touch on Operation Bluebird, DKII?

Not beyond what I glossed over in the intro. Go nuts.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Not like Sigma hasn't experienced dying before, what's another one to add to the pile? :v:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

daermon posted:

Sure he does. It's a plot point in VLR that K exists as a fail safe for Doctor Klim. If he dies here, he should just zip into his clone body in the future.

That is very specifically not how it works. Kyle is a failsafe for Sigma in that he's supposed to pick up Sigma's work if Sigma dies. Clones are clearly their own people in this setting, not just spare bodies. Also, SIgma wouldn't need a clone body in the future, he has his own body there. Too bad for past Sigma though, his older self kidnaps his consciousness, steals his body and gets it shot.

Also, the whole point of VLR was Sigma training his timeline jumping abilities by killing himself a billion times, if he was able to do it here he'd clearly just jump back in the timeline and say "Okay, that was a bad idea, don't shoot me." No extra bodies required. That's assuming he even can. Akane established in C-Team's execution fragment that she can't access the morphogenetic field, I'd assume Sigma and Phi are similarly handicapped.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Okay, I know everyone's already thinking it, but I'm going to saying it, That's Not How Blanks Work! If you shoot a blank at point-blank range you're still likely to kill the person you're shooting. Blanks discharge a physical object. The only way this works is if there are simply 3 empty chambers. But that's NOT how this puzzle works, because the door opens to the sound of the revolver discharging a shot, a sound it couldn't make with nothing in the chamber.

Like... I know this is so common, it's used in fuckin' everything, but this really irks the gently caress out of me.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Can I just say that I'm really grateful that C-Team didn't get this room as an option? Considering Akane's history with them, I'm not entirely sure how well this would have gone.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Can I just say that I'm really grateful that C-Team didn't get this room as an option? Considering Akane's history with them, I'm not entirely sure how well this would have gone.

Junpei: :geno: I seem to be inside an active incinerator. Again.
Akane: :black101: I'm going to find Zero II and rip their spine from their body :black101:
Junpei: Stones. Glass houses.
Carlos: :stare: Do you two need a minute here, to talk things off?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 24: Shoot: Live

Looks like Sigma was pretty convincing this time. Shooting gives us the best odds, and is the only way to get on a path where all three team members live.

You may notice the update title. Does "Live" mean that Sigma lives, or that the round is live? Hmm...

Just click to shoot...

*closes eyes*

A gunshot, and the screen flashes white.

Music: CQD: BAD END

The door beeps and swings open.

[Computer Lady:] Incinerator door...is open. Incineration process...terminated.

Slow pan to the right. Did you catch that in the upper-right corner? There's a splash of blood that's our only real clue as to what happened. Well, that and the sad game over music.

Phi runs, falls to her knees.

I wasn't.... I didn't matter at all!

So why... Why did you...

Tears falling.

Phi sobbing.

There's one problem with Sigma's calculation of the odds in this scenario.

It's not "100 and 0" against "100 and 50".

*click*

It's "100 and 0 and 100" against "100 and 50 and 50".

Another gunshot, and the screen flashes white again. A body falls to the ground.

Turns out Phi was right, again.

Diana... Diana...

Did you really think Diana was going to be able to handle having shot Sigma?

An anguished scream from Phi.

Well, that was certainly something.

Anyone want to try again? Or go back and do something else? Select the story fragment.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Are these choices, like the coin flip and the gunshot just now that are clearly 50/50 and split up the story points ACTUALLY 50/50 or do they happen in a set order? The diagram is pretty clear that there's a timeline where Sigma gets hit with a blank (or it's just too early and my brain hasn't unfogged yet so I missed something) and thus survives, so does he always get shot the first time?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Worth noting that we had three outcomes on the flowchart. One outcome is obviously "don't fire at all" (probably the other Game Over), but for the other one, it could be either a true 50/50 chance where Quantum Bullshit changes the first bullet to a blank...or it could be the morphogenetic field letting someone realize "wait, before I put this gun into the receptacle, maybe I should try shooting it at the floor to see if it's a real gun" so the sound-triggered door is released without the gun actually being aimed at Sigma.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Are these choices, like the coin flip and the gunshot just now that are clearly 50/50 and split up the story points ACTUALLY 50/50 or do they happen in a set order? The diagram is pretty clear that there's a timeline where Sigma gets hit with a blank (or it's just too early and my brain hasn't unfogged yet so I missed something) and thus survives, so does he always get shot the first time?
DKII said that the Coin Flip was 100% rigged - the first time you're always correct, the second time you're always wrong (even if we picked "Blue" both times so the coin actually changes color), but who knows if the gunshot works the same way or not.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 5, 2020

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The coin flip is rigged so that you call it correctly and get the ending and credits the first time, then lose and get the opening and the rest of the game the second time.

I know how this event works, but I won’t reveal that information at this time.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

As far as I know, the gunshot is like which case has the antidote - it's randomly set each time you enter the scene. I heard of one case where it took several tries to get the other option to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It took me a couple of tries to get the alternative in my own playthrough, so I'm reasonably sure it's random.