Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah that sucks. You can see how parents get tunnel vision about ~*doing the best thing for my kids*~ and being thoughtless about the implications, but it’s absolutely a lovely thing to do. Where I’m from we have tests and exams at like 11 years old and they amount to the same thing because middle class parents just send their kids for special exam coaching lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh gently caress this wasn't the social media thread. my bad. The last wrestling related podcast I listened to was the Rudocast. Have you heard it? its quite good but I still haven't gotten the link to the official OnlyFans.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Having worked at a charter school I can tell you they are the devil. On top of what everyone else mentioned, there’s an overwhelming amount of attention on “character”, which means children who self-define by their discipline level (“I got green today!” was a common refrain[kids rated at red, yellow, or green]) and berating children who don’t behave to abnormally strict guidelines (maintaining ramrod posture among the worst of these). Usually the student bodies are entirely minorities. So it’s a system that cannot be followed that emphasizes self-definition by adherence to said system and if you fail to adhere, it’s because you don’t have the character for it.Oh, and it’s funded by a ton of neoliberal bullshit. Sound familiar?

Also it hires people basically unqualified for the work (certifications aren’t always required) and no one has any amount of experience to argue or disagree with the people in charge.

Anyway I like wrestling podcasts. That Meltzer, man. He a steamroller amirite

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

I don’t know who either of those people are

jason jones and samantha bee who are married and worked on the daily show under jon stewart

there was a smear article about how "look at these lefty types are the actual racists" put out by ben shapiro's daily wire because NYC was moving the public school that their children were attending to another building in a poorer neighborhood (by the time of the daily wire article this move actually had been done for some time but they framed it as an ongoing event because it's a propaganda rag run by kkk napoleon)

there had been public hearings about the parents in the school and amongst the parents speaking, jason jones did give comments were actually more or less a scold against the idiots protesting everything by saying more or less "stop fighting, all you're doing is creating a media frenzy that will make it worse for the kids and were all unified in loving our kids and the teachers in our school are great and I dont think there would be any issues moving even if it's now in a poorer area"

they cut the bit about him having absolutely no opposition move in the right wing smear article and used the rest of the quote

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Well I don’t buy that any publishing company asked Dave to write a major biography either. Dave is not a good writer, never has been or will be. He is known because he used to get inside
information in a time when wrestling was very popular. He isn’t regarded by anyone as being even decent at writing the idea he could do anything outside his own format which is super
limited is insane. How in the gently caress could Dave write a movie, he can’t even hold a conversation with Bryan without misunderstanding non literal figures of speech. Dave writes great obituaries because it’s a simple format you just retell life events in order over a few pages max. The idea he could continue his style over an entire book and it would stay coherent or interesting is bizarre. Why has he never been given this opportunity before in decades? Suddenly one of the biggest publishers in the world is going to give a book like that to a newsletter guy who has never written anything like it? I do not buy it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Thanks for your thoughts eatmyfuc

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo the fuc up

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You're right a publisher isn't going to contact Dave despite him being one of the foremost wreslting historians and having covered Vince since he bought the company and also working for Newspapers and the AP and having a published book. It makes no sense at all

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Well I don’t buy that any publishing company asked Dave to write a major biography either. Dave is not a good writer, never has been or will be. He is known because he used to get inside
information in a time when wrestling was very popular. He isn’t regarded by anyone as being even decent at writing the idea he could do anything outside his own format which is super
limited is insane. How in the gently caress could Dave write a movie, he can’t even hold a conversation with Bryan without misunderstanding non literal figures of speech. Dave writes great obituaries because it’s a simple format you just retell life events in order over a few pages max. The idea he could continue his style over an entire book and it would stay coherent or interesting is bizarre. Why has he never been given this opportunity before in decades? Suddenly one of the biggest publishers in the world is going to give a book like that to a newsletter guy who has never written anything like it? I do not buy it.

You're right, sports writing is such a higher quality than Dave Meltzer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

take that moon

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave writing a book for a publisher means he would have an editor to knock it into English that non-Observer readers could understand and enjoy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave has also probably been contacted to write books before and has probably refused due to working on the newsletter full time and talking to his weights

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don't think Dave has a legit successor. I can't take Bryan seriously as a writer or a journalist, he's a loud TV news type guy meant to be entertaining, he could never write the kind of detailed obituaries and serious stories Dave does. I think someone outside their group will probably become the successor in spirit, but then again news has been declining in every genre away from journalism and into clickbait and entertainment.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Like, we can remember your previous posts.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't buy that. because i've spent all my money on stocks, and can't buy anything else. Lol (i made this drummer in order to remove the offensive 'disability' character from it, and i've decided to use it one last time here. thank you for looking at it)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also just not knowing editors exist.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

thank you eat my fuc

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I've received news that renowned published author Scott Keith will be handling this biography instead. It is in his capable hands.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my post was messing around, not part of the bullying.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

i don't buy that. because i've spent all my money on stocks, and can't buy anything else. Lol (i made this drummer in order to remove the offensive 'disability' character from it, and i've decided to use it one last time here. thank you for looking at it)
i like your drummer. the ableist series of emoji on the site should be quietly retired, imo

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eat My Fuc posted:

What kind of absolute hole have you been living in that you think publishers care about the quality of a writer who comes with a pre-built audience? Have you seen the kind of poo poo that floats around the top of the bestseller lists during an average week? Remember when a publisher made a zillion dollars publishing Twilight spanking fan fiction with the serial numbers filed off? You should go back to posting about how desperately you wish Vince McMahon would distribute steroids to wrestlers and buy more of his competition.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

see you in a week or whatever lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I request to being banned please, i don't have to deal with people who got fooled by the dirtsheets.

There's no problem with Dave Meltzer’s writing and related stuff? Fools.

I hate SA and wish i never wasted money to join a bunch of people like, i'm not replying to anything anymore.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Eat My Fuc posted:

A biography is just an obituary with a to be continued at the end you buffoon

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also calling an obituary "you just say the stuff they did in order" is wild. Especially for obituaries for wrestlers from the pre-internet era. Like, writing very detailed and accurate stories about someone's life when their life work was working people isn't easy. Dave has a lot of problems but he's a solid historian and journalist and those are absolutely reasons they would want him as a writer. Also all of that stuff is written by committee, he wouldn't be alone.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 5, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The newsletter obituary is gonna be near book length anyways.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dave’s not the only one who needs an editor

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

jesus WEP posted:

I request to being banned please, i don't have to deal with people who got fooled by the dirtsheets.

There's no problem with Dave Meltzer’s writing and related stuff? Fools.

I hate SA and wish i never wasted money to join a bunch of people like, i'm not replying to anything anymore.

Meltdown WEP

yes i remember this really happening

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dave isn't a good writer, he just had sources once. He's never been a good writer he has no successor because no one has the sources he did in the 90s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

please go back to reddit

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dave isn't a good writer, he just had sources once. He's never been a good writer he has no successor because no one has the sources he did in the 90s.

Cool

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dave is a good writer but would be helped by having a good editor, which he presumably would have if he was writing a book for a major publisher.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
also someone else to cover the bits of wrestling that he clearly doesn't follow all that closely and so the Observer coverage of those is either surface level at best, or sometimes outright wrong.

Talking mainly about non-New Japan Japanese promotions; was a period of six weeks I think where the Other Japan section always contained basic factual errors that anyone following those promotions would know and which could be checked by a quick Google search. Two biggest examples I can remember was that time when he said that the winner of the NOAH Tag League would challenge the All Japan Junior Champion and wrote a load of stuff analysing it from that position; and also that time when Hikaru Sato did something (can't remember what) he wrote this brief profile on him that was a weird mixture of his career and the career of Kohei Sato who, well, is a different person who's never worked in the same promotion as Hikaru Sato.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

We dropped a fresh Rudocast this week, doing a special segment voicing our support for Black Lives Matter and talking AEW Dynamite.

Also Coco - Scotty's putting the OnlyFans together

Video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDuJEpW7Gg

Audio -

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rudos-podcast/id1468336480

https://open.spotify.com/show/2SqoJSz5Ans40LZIfwFrIg?si=AyQkpWCoSR6cVEY-ypXvhg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hardlaser-audio/rudos-podcast?refid=stpr

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ydWRvc3BvZGNhc3QubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

fuc my eat

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

cuf ym tea

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr. Zoggle posted:

fuc my eat

eat my probation

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

please stop giving emf attention for all of the wildly stupid things they say, it's the most transparent trolling ever

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Neodoomium posted:

please stop giving emf attention for all of the wildly stupid things they say, it's the most transparent trolling ever

You don't think that they just don't know that book have editors?

The one time I've gotten angry and ashamed on SA is when someone responded with their name to one of my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
LoL at saying Dave is a bad writer after he just wrote an amazing obit for Hana. It's been stated a lot, but Dave's obits are some seriously great pieces of journalism.