Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

i am harry posted:

That’s what happened to me and now my main can run at almost full speed while sneaking and carrying a 20k cred bounty back to Squin

everybody in Squin vanished, do I need to restart? i started looting because I figured that they'd gotten wiped out by a faction but apparently this just happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sing Along posted:

everybody in Squin vanished, do I need to restart? i started looting because I figured that they'd gotten wiped out by a faction but apparently this just happens.

Import your save. There should be an option to respawn npcs. Like Dead NPCs or something. Uncheck it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've managed to overcome the stumbling blocks and am enjoying running my outpost now. Downloading a mod that adds patrol routes/guard posts was probably crucial to that, but I've also made a trip up to World's End and gotten to tech level 4 so my iron plate manufacturing is automated. I also finally got enough people to separate them into exploration crew/full-time civilians/full-time guards, so stuff's getting done a lot faster and having full-time farmers is great. And since fabric is getting made again, I'm back to pumping out swords and have lots of money again. I'm up to 26/30 people now with like 5 bonedogs (mostly puppies) and a town guard 9 strong (4 turret gunners, 5 Shek gate guards), so I'll probably download the mod that raises the limit to 256 since I have no intention of using very large squads so I doubt it'll be game-breaking (not that Kenshi isn't made to be broken), and my computer is handling it fine so far.

The Black Dragon Genin make great sparring partners. My recruits feel like hot poo poo until they go 1v1 with a naked Genin armed with a rusty wakizashi. But they learn a lot from getting their rear end beat, as is the Kenshi way. And it's really enjoyable to see the other 8 people running laps around the arena in the background while they're fighting.

I've found that ration packs are actually amazing for the cost and am making a habit of buying them and giving them to prisoners I want to keep around so I don't have to pay much attention to their hunger.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Black Dragon Genin make great sparring partners. My recruits feel like hot poo poo until they go 1v1 with a naked Genin armed with a rusty wakizashi. But they learn a lot from getting their rear end beat, as is the Kenshi way. And it's really enjoyable to see the other 8 people running laps around the arena in the background while they're fighting.

Patrol routes sound useful, I'll have to check that out.

For sparring you give your prisoners give them the lowest quality foreign blades you can. A good way to get lovely weapons is to have your regular smith do 99% of the work, and then let some totally untrained goober do the very last work. Only the last hit determines the overall quality. Melee Defense is the stat that kinda-sorta determines the enemy's "level". So artificially raising that on your punching bag helps level your skills even faster. Also giving the prisoner the best armor you can (that does not lower melee defense) lets you attack them a bunch more times before knocking them out.

Also, doing everything you can to artificially lower your trainee's skills is a huge help, especially if they are highly skilled. Trader's backpacks have that huge -10 penalty. Basically anything you can do to extend the length of the fight, and have your skills be lowered while your opponent's defense is boosted will bring in much better gains.

Just make sure you have someone on hand who is strong enough to actually take down that prisoner if your trainee gets knocked out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put the genin in full samurai armour. He'll last longer which means your recruits get more training.

Do your harpoon gunners have Precision Shooting? You will regret it if they do not. Best trained using junkbows.

I like using skeletons as trainers because they can be slapped into a repair bed and be ready for another session in nothing flat.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Put the genin in full samurai armour. He'll last longer which means your recruits get more training.

Do your harpoon gunners have Precision Shooting? You will regret it if they do not. Best trained using junkbows.

I like using skeletons as trainers because they can be slapped into a repair bed and be ready for another session in nothing flat.

The broken skeletons that wander in obedience are excellent for this.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is there any Obedience lore?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

i am harry posted:

Is there any Obedience lore?

Only what you get if you bring a Skeleton with you there.

From what I can recall: The giant robots you see there were originally constructs used by one of the human empires as weapons of war, but after a great conflict the humans got scared that they would rise against at them at some point, so they commandeered all of them into the canyon there and filled it with some sort of liquid, and basically froze all of them there. Which apparently also created the fog that cover the entirety of the fog islands.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

me running thru the border zone when my portrait flashes red

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I admire this guy's moxie

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
at around 20 hours in I'm only just starting to feel like I can accomplish various things but it is satisfying

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Now, have all your units brave the Foglands and converge on Mongrel. If any character has boots on that reduce speed, or is above the lowest weight limit, sell the gear - you need to be able to outrun the Fogmen. Once everyone is inside, grab your last batch of units - Beep, Shryke, and Crumblejon. Now come the fun/dangerous part. Go out in search of an unconscious fogman near the gates of town. Pick one up, and bring it to one of the Fogman death yards, preferably one that is directly outside of town. Put the fogman on a pike and wait for princes to come by and start eating it - as long as they don't aggro onto you from fighting, the enemies will not stop eating and praying. Send one (or if you're brave, a lot) of your units and start trying to use Knock Out on the Fogman Heavies that are hanging around. There is a very very low percentage change that they will aggro you if you do this, so run if it does happen, but otherwise keep doing it over and over until you skill is high enough that it works. Put the K.O.'d heavy on a pike. Keep refilling the pikes with unconscious fogmen. Once you've got a nice stack of pikes fulled up, take your entire team and have them start sneaking around. You'll gain sneaking levels insanely fast as you're constantly doing stealth checks against the entire crowd that has gathered. You can easily get to 80+ stealth in like five minutes. 90+ stealth makes you functionally invisible at night, so get a few units over that cap for future shenanigans. During this process, start doing knock outs on the Fogmen princes and stealing their heads. Don't worry about leaving one alive, others will take its place. Each head is worth a ton of cats, so just start a collection. You can endlessly repeat this until you're happy with the amount of skill levels and cash you've made.

I can do this just fine with one character, and I've got him up to the mid 80s, but I can only keep my full team of stealthed training units in there for a little bit before they get attacked. Any tips? Also, how big should the crowd be? I'm struggling to get it larger than 10 even if I fill all the pikes. Maybe I just have a bad deathyard, but the other one near me is worse.

I think I've worked out why it feels like Princes stop spawning after a while. Fogmen spawn by themselves, in squads of 13-25. The Princes and the Heavies only spawn in a squad together, containing one Prince and 3-5 Heavies. It seems like Princes, when they spawn, get first priority to eat. You'll sometimes see a cycle where as you KO one heavy another one comes to replace it, exiting the worship phase. Now, regular fogmen can't eat. The problem that I think I'm running into is that once I've cleared a lot of princes, I'm left with tons of extra heavies. Those extra heavies seem to be preventing new prince squads from spawning.

I've blown way too much time on this but I did some testing and if I bait down shinobi guards to clear out the heavies (and aggro them with a crossbow) multiple princes start spawning again. It feels weirdly like some kind of range management.

Also, it feels like you can do whatever you want to a group of eating / worshiping fogmen until the second you click to begin an action that would interfere with the last eligible eater.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 8, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sing Along posted:

I can do this just fine with one character, and I've got him up to the mid 80s, but I can only keep my full team of stealthed training units in there for a little bit before they get attacked. Any tips?

If you go out the exit of Mongrel with the giant broken bridge thing right there, there are a few pikes at the bottom of the hill. Just put a couple fogmen on those, and eventually shitloads of heavies and a couple princes will just hang out and pray. Your guys just walk around them at a bit of a distance in passive/sneak mode and the numbers climb while they eat and worship. Use some dudes to sneak KO all the heavies, then put them on the pikes.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

i am harry posted:

If you go out the exit of Mongrel with the giant broken bridge thing right there, there are a few pikes at the bottom of the hill. Just put a couple fogmen on those, and eventually shitloads of heavies and a couple princes will just hang out and pray. Your guys just walk around them at a bit of a distance in passive/sneak mode and the numbers climb while they eat and worship. Use some dudes to sneak KO all the heavies, then put them on the pikes.

my problem is that specific area always seems to have a couple of frogmen who show up set to patrol the town.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Patrol routes sound useful, I'll have to check that out.

For sparring you give your prisoners give them the lowest quality foreign blades you can. A good way to get lovely weapons is to have your regular smith do 99% of the work, and then let some totally untrained goober do the very last work. Only the last hit determines the overall quality. Melee Defense is the stat that kinda-sorta determines the enemy's "level". So artificially raising that on your punching bag helps level your skills even faster. Also giving the prisoner the best armor you can (that does not lower melee defense) lets you attack them a bunch more times before knocking them out.

Also, doing everything you can to artificially lower your trainee's skills is a huge help, especially if they are highly skilled. Trader's backpacks have that huge -10 penalty. Basically anything you can do to extend the length of the fight, and have your skills be lowered while your opponent's defense is boosted will bring in much better gains.

Just make sure you have someone on hand who is strong enough to actually take down that prisoner if your trainee gets knocked out.

what's the technique for this? I stealth KO'd a Broken Model 30 and dragged it back from the Deadlands but whenever I put its unconscious body in a skeleton recovery bed it just gets right out again. Do I need to pick it up right before it comes to and abuse the put down KO till it's fully healed?

edit: that seems to be doing the trick

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 10, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Sing Along posted:

what's the technique for this? I stealth KO'd a Broken Model 30 and dragged it back from the Deadlands but whenever I put its unconscious body in a skeleton recovery bed it just gets right out again. Do I need to pick it up right before it comes to and abuse the put down KO till it's fully healed?

edit: that seems to be doing the trick

I don't use skeletons for just that reason. Humans will heal up (slowly) in the prisoner cage, but I can't get beds to work reliably with either skeletons or humans.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I don't use skeletons for just that reason. Humans will heal up (slowly) in the prisoner cage, but I can't get beds to work reliably with either skeletons or humans.

Try having a bedside nurse who stealth KO's them as soon as they wake up and then slams them back into bed for another restful 60 seconds

I need to go snag a couple more of these guys, with skeleton HP and 35 main stats plus weapon stats this thing is a monster

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Sing Along posted:

Try having a bedside nurse who stealth KO's them as soon as they wake up and then slams them back into bed for another restful 60 seconds

I need to go snag a couple more of these guys, with skeleton HP and 35 main stats plus weapon stats this thing is a monster

"a bedside nurse who stealth KO's them as soon as they wake up" is such a Kenshi loving phrase it is unreal. This game allows you to come up with the most creative human rights violations

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
by giving the Model 30 a bottom tier staff I can just have it harmlessly beat the snot out of my guys one at a time and it doesn't even try to run away anymore. maybe it finds it cathartic

edit: nope we had a containment breach and it almost made it out the main gate. the thing just vanished and then appeared there fighting my guards

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 10, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can you use mods on a running game, or do you have to start a new game when you add mods? Also what kind of mods are there, what's your favorite?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Here's a bunch of mods I used. Don't blindly add things. Read things through. Some things I posted are not compatible with some things McSlaughter posted. Living World, Reactive World, and Genesis seem like huge sweeping changes that would not be compatible with each other.

Quality of Life
256 Recruitment Limit
Faster Bed Healing
Copper Ore Drills
shops have more items +
Minor Faction Pacifiers
More Plastic Surgeons
Recruitable Prisoners - with dialogue

More Options
Peeler Machine
Storage Plus
Expanded Craftable Weapons v2.1
Animal Traders
Moisture Farming
Rations & More
Defensive Gates 10x HP & 2x gate repair speed.
Little Camp Mod
Simple Camping Extras

Pretty poo poo Up
Dark UI
Nice Map [Zones + Zone names + Roads]
Animation Overhaul Mod - Crafting
Better Crop Fences
Race Blood
Interior (and Exterior) Design
KenshICONS
Loading Screens
Crucifixion

More Exciting World
Living World
Enhanced Shopping Economy
Taxman/Tribute/Prayer Relations+
Cannibals Expanded
Shrieking Bandits Expanded
Hives Expanded
Faction Caravans
Dialogue Expansion Project
Let's Talk
More Names!
Relatable Bandits

Dummies (cheaty, but gently caress it)
Advanced training dummies
Sparring Mats - Basic Training for Melee Defense & Martial Arts
Weight Bench - Strength Training
Wooden Dexterity Training Dummy (Animated)

Fix Broken poo poo
World State Checker
No Cut Efficiency
Fixing Clipping Issues
Free the Hair

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sing Along posted:

by giving the Model 30 a bottom tier staff I can just have it harmlessly beat the snot out of my guys one at a time and it doesn't even try to run away anymore. maybe it finds it cathartic

edit: nope we had a containment breach and it almost made it out the main gate. the thing just vanished and then appeared there fighting my guards

If a hostile NPC you beat up has no path out of the settlement, they'll just stand around peacefully until a route opens for them to retreat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zesty posted:

More Exciting World
Cannibals Expanded
Shrieking Bandits Expanded
Hives Expanded

Fix Broken poo poo
No Cut Efficiency

just in case you weren't aware I actually made NCE patches for these mods

Shrieking Bandits
Cannibal
Hives

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Didn't even know they're normally incompatible.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 10, 2020

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

Can you use mods on a running game, or do you have to start a new game when you add mods? Also what kind of mods are there, what's your favorite?

Import your save. If you are pretty sure your mod order is right and you run into any bugs, best troubleshooting is to import and uncheck the boxes for Import Dead NPCs and/or Import Relations. That usually fixes up any glitches caused by random errors and what not. However if you are running mods that are just not compatible, like two different world overhaul mods or running mods that are contained in other mods or do something similar to other mods, etc., then it is a mod incompatibility issue and importing won't help.

I have a long mod writeup a page or two back, but to save the length of this one I will just link it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3862574&pagenumber=130&perpage=40#post504590461

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 10, 2020

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Played this for about 40 minutes, stole a meat wrap and got my rear end beat to death. Slavers didn’t want to take me slave and make me do stuff, so I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to get started in this game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only actual advantage to being a slave is you can't starve to death, any other thing people say you should do while being a slave you can just do anyway.

If you're just wanting to get a feel for things to get used to it before going full hardcore the easiest method is to just make a greenlander male and hang out in holy nation territory. Just don't get eaten by bone dogs and it's pretty safe. Stay near town, beat up raptors, guards will save you if you're close. You can loot anything the guards kill so its easy to make some cash.

It's a reasonably solid way to get used to the whole "get beaten up by weak things so you can survive being beaten up by stronger things so you can survive being beaten up by even stronger things" game mechanic

Then you go and start as a naked one armed man in the middle of a desert

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Expect to have to restart a few times until you've gotta a hang of things if you're anything like me

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Escaped slave seems like the most badass and perhaps canonical origin story. I really wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough attempt because you'll spend more time unconscious healing than you will learning how to play the game

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scumby posted:

Played this for about 40 minutes, stole a meat wrap and got my rear end beat to death. Slavers didn’t want to take me slave and make me do stuff, so I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to get started in this game.

There's always the party start if you don't want to begin completely worthless.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

♪ "Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heard
A discouraging word,
And the skies are not cloudy all day." ♫

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I hate when I free slaves they always run back to their place of captor, no matter how far away they are.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some slaves have a personality type that makes them refuse trying to flee. Just give up on those.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Some slaves have a personality type that makes them refuse trying to flee. Just give up on those.

Nope. They will be free (str training as my guys carry them for hundreds of miles).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was surreal when I busted some prisoners attached to a cannibal pole and they freaked out about the masters and hopped right back on.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 3, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the lack of realism in that regard irritates me about kenshi. I hope 2 has some better ai in that regard.

Rescue a mongrel (or anywhere) guard? Wanted for kidnapping
Take one of those slaves wandering in the fog to mongrel, supposedly where they belong? Guards beat them up and arrest them (while they casually try to walk back to the fog)
The aforementioned "the cannibals will be disappointed if they don't get to eat me" behavior

Makes me sad

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People who know the modkit better then I, how do I proc the "Phoenix touched by a woman" dialogue? Namely, this one

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It looks like it might be dialogue that would trigger if he's a/your captive, you're his enemy, and the character you're controlling is female when you try to talk to him in a cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ah, that is workable then. Thank you kind goon