Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Not technically free, but the cause is good and the value ratio is too insane to not mention: Itch.io asked their devs to donate games in a bundle with proceeds donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund split 50/50.

The result is a bundle of 744 paid games available for five bucks.
gently caress this is good

E: vv oh poo poo

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
FYI save your purchase link because they do not add to your library and you have to manually click each one.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Not technically free, but the cause is good and the value ratio is too insane to not mention: Itch.io asked their devs to donate games in a bundle with proceeds donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund split 50/50.

this is worth it just to scroll through the list

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

A Carly Rae Jepsen-themed cultist TTRPG one-shot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
quite a few of those aren't actually games, and one of them is a collection of essays about metal gear solid (?????????). even without counting those, it still probably comes out to less than a penny per game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Better-recognized games include:

• Babysitter Bloodbath, from the seminal 80s throwback horror creator Puppet Combo
  • Lancer, the tabletop setting and rulebook from the creator of Kill Six Billion Demons
  • Night in the Woods, a goon favorite
  • OneShot, a particularly popular metacommentary-laden indie darling
  • Super Hexagon, the popular twitch action game
  • Cook Serve Delicious 2, another goon-favorite sim that accurately induces restaurant industry RSI
  • Bleed and Bleed 2, well-known platform action entries
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy, a first person hack-em-up

aaand my computer ran out of memory scrolling down but that's in the first few rows. All this plus a gazillion of the rainbow of arthouse games and zines and such that itch.io houses, all without DRM.

edit:
Note that when you finish the purchase you're put on a unique page associated with your purchase. Save this address page. You need to click the download button for each game that you want in your library. Itch attaches the bundle to your account but I can't tell how you would cleanly get back to its page, and it says it emails the link to you, but I didn't get that email.
Bargain! I noticed it has a bunch of RPG’s that are easily worth $20 each

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Bargain! I noticed it has a bunch of RPG’s that are easily worth $20 each

Which ones?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some of the solo TTRPGs are really interesting and that's a space that's been rapidly evolving and growing. There's also some sweet project management software in there.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
That bundle is insanely good for the price. More recommendations:

Blades in the Dark, which isn't a computer game but a crime-themed tabletop RPG book. It is a lot of fun if you're into roleplaying with friends. Usually retails for $20.

Tonight We Riot, which is a political side-scrolling brawler based on fighting as a mob. 9/10 on Steam.

Overland, a post-apocalyptic survival strategy game. Mixed reviews on Steam, but most of the negative reviews are from people who call it too difficult or unfair. It certainly is challenging, but in a fair and good way (see the many, many players who insisted that XCOM: Enemy Unknown was lying about to-hit percentages because they missed their 95% shots 1/20th of the time). The other, more valid complaint was that it was very short for the retail price of $25, which isn't an issue in this case.

Airships: Conquer the Skies, an excellent 2D steampunk vehicle-builder. 9/10 on Steam.

e: just realized this is the free games thread, whoops

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 6, 2020

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Bottom Liner posted:

Some of the solo TTRPGs are really interesting and that's a space that's been rapidly evolving and growing. There's also some sweet project management software in there.

What is a TTRPG?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have no idea why but Dream Daddy was added to this month's Twitch Prime offerings. Maybe pride month but why not just have it there from the beginning, when people are actually checking.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

teacup posted:

What is a TTRPG?

Table-Top RPG

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lancer and Troika off the top of my head, table top rpgs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Lancer and Troika off the top of my head, table top rpgs
oh and Blades In The Dark I bought physical for $50, insanely good ttrpg

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I spot at least two pieces in there from excellent forums user and creator of the rad-as-hell Orc Stabr, Nemesis of Moles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another Twitch Prime game has dropped: Dream Daddy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

quite a few of those aren't actually games, and one of them is a collection of essays about metal gear solid (?????????). even without counting those, it still probably comes out to less than a penny per game.

Is.... is the essay good?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish there was form of sorting, because with 744 games of varying types and styles it's a bit overwhelming

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I paid more than $5 just for Night in the Woods last week. It's good value.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Better-recognized games include:

• Babysitter Bloodbath, from the seminal 80s throwback horror creator Puppet Combo
  • Lancer, the tabletop setting and rulebook from the creator of Kill Six Billion Demons
  • Night in the Woods, a goon favorite
  • OneShot, a particularly popular metacommentary-laden indie darling
  • Super Hexagon, the popular twitch action game
  • Cook Serve Delicious 2, another goon-favorite sim that accurately induces restaurant industry RSI
  • Bleed and Bleed 2, well-known platform action entries
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy, a first person hack-em-up

aaand my computer ran out of memory scrolling down but that's in the first few rows. All this plus a gazillion of the rainbow of arthouse games and zines and such that itch.io houses, all without DRM.

edit:
Note that when you finish the purchase you're put on a unique page associated with your purchase. Save this address page. You need to click the download button for each game that you want in your library. Itch attaches the bundle to your account but I can't tell how you would cleanly get back to its page, and it says it emails the link to you, but I didn't get that email.

Holy poo poo, this explains why I couldn't get itch.io to load for the life of me. Thread title be damned, that's too good of a value to miss out on. Thanks for posting it!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I paid a decent chunk extra even though on a first pass I only picked up a few decent games I've been meaning to get (Night in the Woods, Tonight We Riot, Airships, Wheels of Aurelia) and some others that seemed interesting, definitely worth it.

There isn't a "basically free games (that used to be not basically free)" thread so thanks for posting about it DV.

A distressing fraction of the content is just assets intended to be used in games rather than games but eh, it's still less than a cent per game

It includes EXTREME MEATPUNKS FOREVER which looks like trash but is described as "Gay disaster mech pilots killing fascists" so props for that

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 6, 2020

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Geemer posted:

Holy poo poo, this explains why I couldn't get itch.io to load for the life of me. Thread title be damned, that's too good of a value to miss out on. Thanks for posting it!

It's not loading because they have taken the site down temporarily for a server upgrade.

https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1269244360425537536

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Check out Tonight We Riot in the bundle. Game is cool af and looks great.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From that absurdly vast bundle, I also recommend Minit and A Short Hike. One's super fun, the other is a 3 hour super relaxing experience for anyone who's been coping with anxiety lately.

edit: and Oxenfree if you never played that before (it's been available for free at least twice)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 6, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kevin DuBrow posted:

That bundle is insanely good for the price. More recommendations:

Blades in the Dark, which isn't a computer game but a crime-themed tabletop RPG book. It is a lot of fun if you're into roleplaying with friends. Usually retails for $20.

Tonight We Riot, which is a political side-scrolling brawler based on fighting as a mob. 9/10 on Steam.

Overland, a post-apocalyptic survival strategy game. Mixed reviews on Steam, but most of the negative reviews are from people who call it too difficult or unfair. It certainly is challenging, but in a fair and good way (see the many, many players who insisted that XCOM: Enemy Unknown was lying about to-hit percentages because they missed their 95% shots 1/20th of the time). The other, more valid complaint was that it was very short for the retail price of $25, which isn't an issue in this case.

Airships: Conquer the Skies, an excellent 2D steampunk vehicle-builder. 9/10 on Steam.

e: just realized this is the free games thread, whoops

Yo thanks for this, I nearly skipped Overland. There's SO MUCH in the bundle it's insane

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I got an itch.io bundle years ago and it's an amazing experience to just blind install a few games at random and give them 15 minutes each to win you over because even if most of them suck they're usually at least interesting and if you're lucky you do find something cool that's gone completely under the radar because there's just too many games now.

Bottom Liner posted:

Check out Tonight We Riot in the bundle. Game is cool af and looks great.

It's basically a mediocre two hour Kongregate game in a coat of guillotine meme paint, it's not even really worth playing for free let alone the $15 they were charging for it IMHO.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
But it’s got Elias Toufexis!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

flowinprose posted:

It's not loading because they have taken the site down temporarily for a server upgrade.

https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1269244360425537536

:downs:

Sometimes I forget simple things like that are possible too.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Bottom Liner posted:

FYI save your purchase link because they do not add to your library and you have to manually click each one.

Just use this link after logging in: https://itch.io/my-purchases/bundles

Its in a terrible spot on the UI behind several clicks, you need to go to the top right dropdown menu next to your account name, then click my library, then click my purchases, then select bundles. It should show "Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality" there.

Or you know, use the link above I put. Obviously much easier.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking through them and Minit is in there as well, I paid $15 for that on the Switch not that long ago, great game

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
I'm five pages into the list of games and my downloads are already backed up - this bundle is going to take a while to chew through..

Edit: Wheels of Aurelia is starting to grow on me

Camo Guitar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 7, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There is lot of first-draft table top RPG treatments written by "ideas guys" in there also.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

There is lot of first-draft table top RPG treatments written by "ideas guys" in there also.

True, but it also contains Lancer and Blades in the Dark, which are easily worth more than $5 each by themselves.

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer
I bought Tonight We Riot on steam, paid full price, and then paid for it again in this bundle which is awesome because it is that good and the devs are amazing.

Buy this bundle

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think Tonight We Riot is like a generous 4/10 and ideologically I'm the target audience 😬 it really does feel like a flash game made for some facebook "Guillotine Memes For Depressed Teens" group . But if people are enjoying it I'm happy for them!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yeah mechanically it's pretty terrible

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

True, but it also contains Lancer and Blades in the Dark, which are easily worth more than $5 each by themselves.

I was hoping if I dangled that one out there I'd get a few recommendations! Pity the list isn't searchable.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah this bundle is fantastic, but boy is it a pain to find a specific thing. Itch bundles clearly weren't designed for this many games. It'd be better if it looked the same as the actual "buy bundle" page, that way you can load all of them at once and see the little animated previews too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've loaded the bundle up on their Itch app for Windows, and while it's still not great at sorting and everything, at least you can click on the photo of the game to go to the store page and preview what it is.

The app also works as a library like Steam, and handles installs/uninstalls too. That part at least is easy and convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If GOG 2.0 incorporates itch.io accounts my game total on there is going to more than double.