Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Fallom posted:

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

Yeah I remember, as a teenager, having to slow the game down to the slowest level possible to pull of insane micromanagement attacks and dodges at times. That thing was the original difficulty slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God IM A MECHANICAL MAN is such a loving rad tune

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fallom posted:

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

My "Welcome Back, Commander" moment was mission 7 for the gdi. You start landing your units and then suddenly everything is dead because you got hit by the flame troopers from the east who killed all your infantry and now light tanks are coming from the north to clean up your light scouts. I think I failed that mission in like 10 seconds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 6, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hate these dumbfuck suicidal civilians on GDI mission 8b

Wait for the suicide bomber civilians with nukes in the Aftermath mission Grunyev Revolution.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

My "Welcome Back, Commander" moment was mission 7 for the gdi. You start landing your units and then suddenly everything is dead because you got hit by the flame troopers from the east who killed all your infantry and now light tanks are coming from the north to clean up your light scouts. I think I failed that mission in like 10 seconds.

I just finished the Delphi mission, I forgot how it started since I haven't played it in like 10 years and had to retry a few times to get off the beach on hard difficulty, the light tank kept running all my (ralp)naders over.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 6, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

Covert Ops missions were by far the hardest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Early on in the GDI campaign and some enemy vehicles have half health. I'm guessing this was in the original games and was a way to lower the difficulty a bit for the first few missions?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Early on in the GDI campaign and some enemy vehicles have half health. I'm guessing this was in the original games and was a way to lower the difficulty a bit for the first few missions?

Yep. I distinctly remember early vehicles/bases etc starting at low health, there were even in game justifications for it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you get stuck hmu i'll deconstruct any mission you want and show you how to crush it or check https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752 for gdi missions.

I can do any of the missions in the remaster including RA and the expansions.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I really dont like the remastered graphics, so its good that the original chunky pixels still look so good after so many years.

Also for those unaware, bonus music tracks are the default music selection in the option menu, so I would suggest switching it immediately to original/remastered. Unless you jukebox.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

My only real complaint right now is that your playlist restarts every time you enter and exit the jukebox. drat it, let me see which song I'm listening to a remix of, I don't remember all their names!
If you go into the options menu and hit the audio tab, it'll tell you which track is currently playing (and allow you to skip to the next or skip back one).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Fallom posted:

Yeah, I've played up to mission 8 GDI on normal, and it's kicking my butt a lot more than I expected. Lots of mission restarts. Really enjoying it, though.

I never actually played much of the original C&C back in the day, just messed around with it occasionally at a friend's house. Red Alert was the first game in the series that I actually owned, and I played the hell out of that one. I decided to run through the original game's campaigns first before satisfying my nostalgia, though.

Has C&C always been considered more difficult than Red Alert? It sure feels like it. I don't remember Red Alert being a particularly difficult game, even in the later missions. I remember being able to turtle up and build an overwhelming force without being in much danger, but I feel like I'm getting harassed by the enemy way too much to make that a viable strategy in any of the missions I've played so far, and all of my units feel so fragile.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The mission I remember struggling with as a kid is the one where GDI gets defunded and you have to take over an old derelict base where the only thing you can build with is a barracks. They give you a repair yard for your vehicles but christ was that mission hard. 8 year old me couldn't understand not using my tanks for everything.

The hardest red alert mission is one of the final soviet ones where you have to capture the Chromosphere. The very dumb AI would usually end up hitting it while fighting other things, failing the mission and forcing a restart.

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 6, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fallom posted:

Also add RNG bullshit. Love C4ing a building with the commando only for a soldier to pop out and instantly chip off some of his health.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh man that initial rush with the flamers was the worst. I got it, eventually, but it took like 10 tries. And then I only beat the level because I managed to bomb the refinery so the AI had no cash.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really forgot how hard and unforgiving C&C1 is. The CPU just has such well defended bases and immediately rebuilds all losses with seemingly infinite funds. Definitely frustrating to lose your entire strike force and it justs rebuilds everything.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
As an aside, was there ever a way discovered to roll back the Steam C&C3 version to unfuck the campaign difficulty?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm loving it. Played a bunch of multiplayer for both, then fired up a GDI campaign. Fantastic. The funniest part was when I selected the helicopter in the commando mission as it flew in, which made it fly towards all the SAM sites and explode immediately.

One of the mods that's up lets you build walls in the modern way which could make them useful beyond stretching obelisks into the enemy base. I forgot how constricted it can be in the original game without much inherent building spacing.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Is fullscreen windowed not working for anyone else?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Just reached GDI mission 4, and...

You can order a whole group of infantry into an APC now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nostalgamus posted:

Just reached GDI mission 4, and...

You can order a whole group of infantry into an APC now.

Yup. The pathfinding can get a bit wonky but it's nifty!

Vier posted:

Is fullscreen windowed not working for anyone else?

It worked for me...after I set it a second time.

Also holy poo poo Code Name Delphi/GDI 11: I forgot about that intro. 6 sacrificial grenadiers and an MCV unloaded right into 3 turrets :psyduck:

Nashira
Jan 18, 2020
Loving everything about this game. It's peak nostalgia for me right now.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Kill 20 units and everything comes after you.

That blew my mind. Counting up, between the start and the base there's 17 infantry you have to kill. So the more infantry that comes out of SAM sites when you destroy them the closer you get to hitting 20.

Oh, and thanks for posting this. I tried playing the mission while deliberately not killing infantry when possible (the rocket soldiers on cliffs can be avoided easily), and when I reached the base I could just walk right on in and C4 the [REDACTED], nobody seemed to care.

Always used to get swarmed once I approached the base, and having to dance around with the chinook to not get the commando killed.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Other than a big of lag in Red Alert when there is a lot of explosions on screen this is pretty great remaster. My one annoyance is that if I start playing a track in the jukebox it will change to a different track when I return to the game.

The addition of difficulty settings to C&C 1 is great. I've never been able to beat the game without resorting to massive amounts of cheese tactics so I almost feel like I have a chance of going through a campaign without sandbags.

However I'm really proud of myself for finding the secret missions without having to google it.

Shift click on the 4 nuts around the main menu box for the C&C 1 Dino missions

the Ant missions unlock the same way as the originals did by shift clicking on the speaker icon

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
How to beat mission 6 (and mission 7)

Save at the diamonds, kill the starred enemies.

Destroy the landing strip and you dont have to play mission 7. It's not actually in the mission file i think its hard coded into the engine

Edit: you can also just try to run past the guy at marker 4 and then the flamers dont chase.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay the new map editor is amazing it tells you the trigger names on the units/buildings:

I guess I need to do a new LP now where i just deconstruct every mission in the remaster

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At 20 bucks this is a loving robbery, Jesus Christ. The bonus features are hilarious and the remastered soundtrack absolutely whips rear end, not to mention the new graphics. I really don’t like the Harvester redesign but otherwise, this is perfect especially if a solid mod base comes out of this. Fingers crossed there’s a solid Gundam mod that comes out of this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tempted to reload my save and try destroying the airstrip since i burnt out on mission 7.

FrickenMoron posted:

I really forgot how hard and unforgiving C&C1 is. The CPU just has such well defended bases and immediately rebuilds all losses with seemingly infinite funds. Definitely frustrating to lose your entire strike force and it justs rebuilds everything.
That's kinda where I'm at. The AI also gets particularly aggressive under attack - you can manipulate this in some ways by attacking and running. But also, it feels like they start producing units really fast/hard. Shooting the hand of nod turns it into a clown car, apparently.

I'm actually wondering if the AI plays by the rules in campaign - in mission 7 it felt like the AI had a nearly inexhaustible ability to pump out units despite only having one refinery.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh I didn't realize if you blew up the airfield the next mission straight up doesn't happen. Oh well, I did 6 and 7 on hard so they're done and out of the way. Rough as hell start but ultimately the AI is destined to lose if you sneak in and blow the refinery.

Also I take a slightly different route: I go up top of the cliffs on the left side of the village, kill the guys and the SAM site there before using the Chinook to hop the valley. It's a lot easier to not get hosed over by the buggy that way.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So in the GDI Mission with Agent Delphi, are you supposed to get a Transport Helicopter? I wiped out NOD and the agent spawned but I have no way to transport him off the cliff. Can't build one either.

So far after getting orcas the winning strat for GDI seems to be turtle, wall off with sandbags and build 8 orca pads and just take out SAM sites 1 by 1 until you get to the construction yard.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you go to Mission Select they have loving Covert Ops and the console missions, holy poo poo this just blew my mind

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hank Morgan posted:

However I'm really proud of myself for finding the secret missions without having to google it.

Shift click on the 4 nuts around the main menu box for the C&C 1 Dino missions

the Ant missions unlock the same way as the originals did by shift clicking on the speaker icon

Really? I thought the original way was to trigger and launch them through msdos?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh, you have to blow through a wall and get close to the dude by land to trigger the helicopter.

I also noticed that a I missed a TON of FMVs back in the day when I was in the kid cause the game was censored here in germany. All people were replaced by bots and they just removed any fmvs which showed humans (except the briefings etc of course.)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Difficulty appears to literally just change the AI's build speed/economy and make your units lower HP and slower moving.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Am I missing something or is there not a attack move key or rally points for buildings?

This is a really solid job and I hope that they get to give the other games the same treatment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think some of the FMVs are from the console version, or that's what I heard and I'm going with that rather then me just having a very bad memory.

C&C1 memories: As a kid I remember being very bothered by the campaign/enemy exclusive units like the SSMs and chem troopers. I think at one point I found a mod that enabled you to build some of them, but it was pretty janky because you could build boats but they had no ability to actually be controlled so they'd just patrol east/west from their construction point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

Okay the new map editor is amazing it tells you the trigger names on the units/buildings:

I guess I need to do a new LP now where i just deconstruct every mission in the remaster

You would be declared a hero

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somehow managed to beat the first commando mission with like 1% health left, I wish I’d known to just target the airfield

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Tempted to reload my save and try destroying the airstrip since i burnt out on mission 7.

That's kinda where I'm at. The AI also gets particularly aggressive under attack - you can manipulate this in some ways by attacking and running. But also, it feels like they start producing units really fast/hard. Shooting the hand of nod turns it into a clown car, apparently.

I'm actually wondering if the AI plays by the rules in campaign - in mission 7 it felt like the AI had a nearly inexhaustible ability to pump out units despite only having one refinery.

Some advice from my totally much more skilled* self:
  • An APC of engineers is very powerful against the AI. Send it in during your assault and while your more shooty units are dealing with the AI's unit spam you can generally capture 2-3 important buildings. It's a lot faster to capture a refinery than to shoot it down in most cases. And you get the money in it. Up to you if you want to try to keep it or just sell it to deny it to the enemy/make money. Airfields/factories, barracks and ConYards are also good targets
  • Having a defense building pre-queued and waiting to be dropped can also be great for engineer strats. Suddenly you now have a beefy defense tower you can also use the repair command in the middle of the enemy base.
  • Look for a back entrance. Not every base has one but several do
  • Don't attack the enemy harvester unless you're ready for the AI to mobilize it's entire army against you.
  • You might need sacrificial units to get in: orcas are expensive but 4 should be more than enough to drop an obelisk before your tanks roll in.
  • GDI guard towers are hella powerful against infantry and light vehicles (AKA most of what Nod has) and do hitscan splash damage to infantry. One or two in whatever direction the AI likes to send its attacks in will do a lot to neutralize them. You may have to build a sandbag line to spread them from your buildings.

*May actually just be more determined and bull-headed

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 6, 2020

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

It can get to be pretty frustrating with the AI’s ability to poo poo out units at an incredible rate, but if you just focus on hunting down their harvesters they will eventually run out of money. This strategy works particularly well for late-stage Nod missions, since you can quickly knock out the harvesters with rocket bikes, then when the AI sends all its units after the bikes you can lead them back to your base and fry them with obelisks. The AI will always prioritize replacing harvesters, which at like $1500 or so a pop means they will bankrupt themselves pretty quickly as long as you keep up the attack on the replacement harvesters. The AI can cheat in a lot of ways, but once they run out of money they’re just as hosed as a human would be.

Alkydere posted:

Don't attack the enemy harvester unless you're ready for the AI to mobilize it's entire army against you.

Yeah, if you’re gonna use this strategy you do need to go into turtle mode a little bit; make sure your base is well-defended!

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 6, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Going from CnC to RA is like night and day. More balanced, smoother difficulty curve, better overall quality of most everything. It really shows Westwood's improvement over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really hope someone Mods fog of war into C&C soon lol