Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're sure this wasn't a bizarre dream?

For years I'd been convinced it was, but the Goodreads thread would suggest otherwise!

I'm never going to find this out though. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was part of a collection of stories - making it even harder to find :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dell_Zincht posted:

For years I'd been convinced it was, but the Goodreads thread would suggest otherwise!

I'm never going to find this out though. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was part of a collection of stories - making it even harder to find :(

I have a vague memory of a story where a boy turns into a wheelbarrow and his teacher's really annoyed about it, but I'm damned if I remember who wrote it. Joan Aiken? Ray Bradbury?

Ed: Wheelbarrow Boy by Richard Parker. Doesn't look as though he wrote any other short stories though.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 3, 2020

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Sci-fi from the 1970s. the Earth has gone through a "change", that made a 150 km band around the equator. A zone that cannot be crossed, and there is no way to communicate between the north and south spheres. In the north, civilisation is based around farming communities, arts, co-operation. In the south there is a meritocracy, where teenagers are taken from their families, sent to a boarding school where they are tested to see what caste they will live in as adults. Both halfs are extremely curious about the other half, but like I said, the Zone cannot be crossed, and something blocks all radio signals, telescopes, etc. If you stare into the Zone, you just see a shimmering ever changing colour, but it is unclear if everyone sees the same colour. The story switches back and forth between a young woman in the north, and a young man in the south. Also, the polar areas have changed, and become strange. While no one has survived going into the Zone, about 1 in 4 who venture into the polar areas come back alive. But changed. If you enter the North polar region, you come back extremely spiritual, and overly religious. If you come back from the South polar region you come back as a very aggressive warrior type.

The whole thing was super trippy, in a very 1970s writing style.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
Okay, I don't have a lot to go on, but this has been bothering me for ages.

At some point between 1993-ish and 1998, I bought a book to read on a road trip to visit my grandparents, probably from a supermarket unless I'd got it on one of my very very rare trips to Barnes & Noble. It was a thick paperback book, with a glossy cover, all in shades of green. The cover was like an overgrown forest, but not dark green or shaded, but sort of a rich spring green. There may have been a little girl or wild child hiding in the trees or leaves.

I don't remember much of the plot, because I never finished it. I was a pretty high level reader at the time, but I just didn't get it. The main character is a little girl, who seems a little wild/tomboyish, on a colonized planet (?) who is observing visitors to her parents place, and there are vehicles that they call 'thopters or ornithopters, can't remember which. There is also a mysterious character who is either a satyr, or Pan himself, or even Caliban who plays a chthonic harp, I remember that distinctly because I had to actually look it up in the dictionary, which was very rare for me, even back then. He was tricksterish, and probably a literary reference I didn't understand. The point at which I stopped is where the girl--I say little, but I think she was meant to be twelve or thirteen, which may have been the same age I was at the time, is...uh...deflowered, either by the Pan-figure or the visitors, and I -think- it was supposed to be some sort of metaphor for spring and the earth, or maybe the girl's awakening to adulthood (?!?), or fulfilling some sort of ritual. There was a very vegetal theme to the whole thing. By that point, I'd already read books like the Stand and IT, a Prayer for Owen Meany, the Joy Luck Club, so it's not like I hadn't been introduced to adult themes and ideas, but something about that book made me so uncomfortable, and I was so not understanding the book that I put it down and never picked it up again.

I don't particularly want to read it again, but I -would- like to know what the hell it was about and what crack the author was smoking at the time. I've done a lot of Google searching and I can't find anything similar. It seemed less like sci-fi or fantasy, and more like one of those excruciatingly 'why look at me, I am a philosopher' literary type books that has trappings of genre. Then again, I was anywhere from 10-15 years old when I read it, I wasn't exactly a critical genius.

Please tell me someone has an idea of what I'm talking about.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s a short story and it’s about a giant squid the military is training during the Cold War, and they bring this dude in to train it or diagnose a problem with it or something, and he’s like oh man you all hosed up, you taught this squid, who exists solipsistically, that other intelligences exist.

I thought it was A Colder War, but that’s a different thing with a similar feel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a short story and it’s about a giant squid the military is training during the Cold War, and they bring this dude in to train it or diagnose a problem with it or something, and he’s like oh man you all hosed up, you taught this squid, who exists solipsistically, that other intelligences exist.
Testimony Before an Emergency Session of The Naval Cephalopod Command by our very own General Battuta.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I read this weird I guess graphic novel when I was a kid (probably 80s) where a group of humans in space end up colonizing the Earth while humanity was still in caves. It starts with them trying to establish a colony isolated from the cave people but then eventually people start comingling, having families and such and there's some incident where a local gets blasted by a laser for some reason. Ring a bell to anybody?

I could have sworn I posted that I thought this was LeGuin's Planet of Exile, but i didn't.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Tree Goat posted:

I could have sworn I posted that I thought this was LeGuin's Planet of Exile, but i didn't.
The plot sounds similar but this was definitely a graphic novel (quite thick) and I don't think it was up to LeGuin's level of work. But thank you :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Thanks!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

Sci-fi from the 1970s. the Earth has gone through a "change", that made a 150 km band around the equator. A zone that cannot be crossed, and there is no way to communicate between the north and south spheres. In the north, civilisation is based around farming communities, arts, co-operation. In the south there is a meritocracy, where teenagers are taken from their families, sent to a boarding school where they are tested to see what caste they will live in as adults. Both halfs are extremely curious about the other half, but like I said, the Zone cannot be crossed, and something blocks all radio signals, telescopes, etc. If you stare into the Zone, you just see a shimmering ever changing colour, but it is unclear if everyone sees the same colour. The story switches back and forth between a young woman in the north, and a young man in the south. Also, the polar areas have changed, and become strange. While no one has survived going into the Zone, about 1 in 4 who venture into the polar areas come back alive. But changed. If you enter the North polar region, you come back extremely spiritual, and overly religious. If you come back from the South polar region you come back as a very aggressive warrior type.

This sounds dope, hope you find it. :shobon:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Love this story

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a couple from the late 70s or early 80s:

Sci-fi novel:

Reptialian aliens come to earth. The main character is a female scientist (biologist, maybe?). Once scene has her being freaked out that they eat their own eggs.

Short story:

Dysptopian future where fundamentalist religion takes over. Even joking about something unnatural can get you into trouble. Example: a kid(?) makes the comment that his chores would be easier if he had a third arm.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's a couple from the late 70s or early 80s:

Sci-fi novel:

Reptialian aliens come to earth. The main character is a female scientist (biologist, maybe?). Once scene has her being freaked out that they eat their own eggs.

Short story:

Dysptopian future where fundamentalist religion takes over. Even joking about something unnatural can get you into trouble. Example: a kid(?) makes the comment that his chores would be easier if he had a third arm.

That second one is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is indeed The Chrysalids, and you've remembered one very short exchange in the novel, so if you look up a description of the novel it'll probably sound totally different.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

This is a short story or novella. It's told from the point of view of a guy in Romania, I think. Theres an alien invasion and mankind is being wiped out and splitting into small guerilla groups. The main character joins one of these groups, and the leader is this badass dude and they're doing all sorts of operations against the aliens. They end up getting onto one of the alien ships and it turns out the guerilla leader is Count Dracula, and they end up kicking the alien asses and maybe taking over the ship?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This is a short story or novella. It's told from the point of view of a guy in Romania, I think. Theres an alien invasion and mankind is being wiped out and splitting into small guerilla groups. The main character joins one of these groups, and the leader is this badass dude and they're doing all sorts of operations against the aliens. They end up getting onto one of the alien ships and it turns out the guerilla leader is Count Dracula, and they end up kicking the alien asses and maybe taking over the ship?

The music video for "I'm Blue"?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Out of the Dark by :hack, spit: David Weber?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schadenboner posted:

The music video for "I'm Blue"?

:hmmyes:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Out of the Dark by :hack, spit: David Weber?

Ha! Yes, that was it. I had that Warriors anthology it was in.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ha! Yes, that was it. I had that Warriors anthology it was in.

Cool. It's annoying me now, though, I know there's at least one other aliens-vs-vampires story out there but I can't remember title/author. An alien survey ship lands on a devastated Earth and finds a single survivor who turns out to be Guess What.

I thought it was van Vogt's The Monster, but that's just another of his usual supermen. Maybe Richard Matheson? Eric Frank Russell? Anyone know?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Cool. It's annoying me now, though, I know there's at least one other aliens-vs-vampires story out there but I can't remember title/author. An alien survey ship lands on a devastated Earth and finds a single survivor who turns out to be Guess What.

I thought it was van Vogt's The Monster, but that's just another of his usual supermen. Maybe Richard Matheson? Eric Frank Russell? Anyone know?

It sound vaguely familiar, but I'm probably thinking of the Zelazny short story where a Vampire robot is saved from being killed by other Robots by the last Vampire who's been dying for hundreds of years since his food source wiped themselves out...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

BattyKiara posted:

Sounds a lot like a slightly misremembered Well World book from Jack Chalker. Very 70s, planet with different zones but iirc the southern hemisphere was for carbon based life and the north was silicon based and were essentially entirely incompatible with each other. I think the first or second book has two people who get split up into different zones in the south. The equator is another zone that has to be passed to travel from North to south. And each hemisphere has different zones, some are agricultural, some are war based, some inhabited by people, some by plant things, some by centaurs, etc.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

regulargonzalez posted:

Sounds a lot like a slightly misremembered Well World book from Jack Chalker. Very 70s, planet with different zones but iirc the southern hemisphere was for carbon based life and the north was silicon based and were essentially entirely incompatible with each other. I think the first or second book has two people who get split up into different zones in the south. The equator is another zone that has to be passed to travel from North to south. And each hemisphere has different zones, some are agricultural, some are war based, some inhabited by people, some by plant things, some by centaurs, etc.

Can you have sex with the centaurs? Asking for a friend.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

yaffle posted:

The protagonist of the first book becomes a donkey, and has sex with one of the others, who became a centaur. So yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Poor Mavra Chang. Jack Chalker hates the human form.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
And women.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

yaffle posted:

The answer to that in every Chalker book is “yes”

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

yaffle posted:

buddy,

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

yaffle posted:

What is this, Piers Anthony?

What is this, Larry Niven?

What is this, Alan Dean Foster?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Looked it up, and no, not it. But I can see why you thought so. The whole "zone that cannot be crossed" was the main thing, and I don't think there were any centaurs. I do remember a lot of things like the North Woman wondering if, by some miracle, she was transported to the other half, could she still breathe there? And that South Man didn't mind that different casts got different rations? payments? well, some casts were really privileged, except the top leadership, who took pride in living as if they belonged to the bottom cast. So you could never be 100% sure if that raggedy looking man eating the cheapest possible food was a bottom cast or else a leader who could have you punished for treating him badly.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hillary 2020 posted:

What is this, Piers Anthony?

What is this, Larry Niven?

What is this, Alan Dean Foster?

You forgot Philip Jose Farmer...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

froglet posted:

That second one is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.

Thanks!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Something something John Varley's centaur sex chart

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
this came up in D&D, and I wonder if anyone here has insight, this is a book that existed in the mid-90s and I think may not go back much further than that but could conceivably date to the 70s.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I cannot for the life of me find the name of it now, but when I was about 16 I read a book of shortstories that was modern authors' take on Hell. The two I remember were one that might have been called "One Way Ticket", about a guy so burned out on his life that he just buys a one-way ticket to hell, choosing some weird BDSM sex circle of hell where he will forever have sex with a demoness, and never orgasm.

Anyway, the other story I remember, is about Hitler finding himself in hell, which is a personal hell just for him, where he is going to be alone and be totally unrecognized for his vast acts of evil, he's just another useless incarcerated soul, no more or less special than any other, and this idea was absolutely intolerable to him and that was the end of the story. In my brain, that story was called "Hell Is Personal" or "Hell Is For You".

I am unable to find any evidence of this book's existence on the internet. A historian appears to have written a whole book about Hitler In Hell which has distorted my searching.

that [one way ticket] story was SUPER hosed up and messed with my teenage brain. One of the versions of hell, you were in a cage in BDSM wrap, attached to the body of some gigantic, amorphous demon that was also permanently bound in some BDSM matrix made out of the cages of the people

but I believe you had to buy the tickets from the agency that Hell set up on earth to promote tourism once the portal was found/erected. It was sort of like crossing Styx, you either had to buy a roundtrip ticket beforehand, or not. The (demon?) selling the ticket was sort of confused as to why the narrator was buying a one way ticket and they had a conversation about it, which I think boiled down to "the world sucks too let's get this over with, at least this way I get to pick which hell". But, like, one of the hells was the hell of eternal boredom where you were stuck with the same boring people for eternity, but now that was open for tourism it was hardly hell at all anymore. Why the narrator chose the hell of "gently caress a weird demon vagina forever and never orgasm" when the boring cocktail party was an option, wasn't a question that occurred to me in ~1996, and now I think that story probably says a whole bunch of things about whoever the author was, and I wish I could figure out what this was. I will go ask the book barn.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 9, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

The one that comes immediately to mind is The Madness Season by C.S. Friedman, but in that one earth is still populated (and under alien rule) and the vampire protagonist comes under suspicion when the aliens find out about his inhumanly long lifespan.

VotGs posted:

Okay, I don't have a lot to go on, but this has been bothering me for ages.

At some point between 1993-ish and 1998, I bought a book to read on a road trip to visit my grandparents, probably from a supermarket unless I'd got it on one of my very very rare trips to Barnes & Noble. It was a thick paperback book, with a glossy cover, all in shades of green. The cover was like an overgrown forest, but not dark green or shaded, but sort of a rich spring green. There may have been a little girl or wild child hiding in the trees or leaves.

[...]

I don't particularly want to read it again, but I -would- like to know what the hell it was about and what crack the author was smoking at the time. I've done a lot of Google searching and I can't find anything similar. It seemed less like sci-fi or fantasy, and more like one of those excruciatingly 'why look at me, I am a philosopher' literary type books that has trappings of genre. Then again, I was anywhere from 10-15 years old when I read it, I wasn't exactly a critical genius.

This is tickling my brain and I wonder if I encountered the same book as a kid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

this came up in D&D, and I wonder if anyone here has insight, this is a book that existed in the mid-90s and I think may not go back much further than that but could conceivably date to the 70s.

This reminds me of a shared universe series from the 80s called Heroes in Hell (think like Thieves World, Wild Cards). The conceit was differing authors wrote various short stories/novellas that examined historical figures in hell, and the.events of the stories overlapped. I don't know that I read all of them, and don't recall the BDSM stuff, but some of those shared universe writers got up to some racy stuff (see again, Wild Cards). Hitler was definitely a central character though.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Scaramouche posted:

This reminds me of a shared universe series from the 80s called Heroes in Hell (think like Thieves World, Wild Cards). The conceit was differing authors wrote various short stories/novellas that examined historical figures in hell, and the.events of the stories overlapped. I don't know that I read all of them, and don't recall the BDSM stuff, but some of those shared universe writers got up to some racy stuff (see again, Wild Cards). Hitler was definitely a central character though.

I am pretty sure this isn't it because I think the Hitler story was the only one about a historical figure.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm thinking I might have asked this very thing in these august threads before but:

Planetary explorers that are investigating something like the Great Wall of China but it's naturally extruded and used as nest/mate attraction? I think it was compared to a bower constructed by the mother father of all bower birds?

Also one of the characters had lights around she tiddies which, my being 12 at the time, is of course one of the things I would remember about it almost 30 years later?

E: Goddamnit. :doh:

anilEhilated posted:

Dunno about the wall but this sounds like Uncharted Territory by Connie Willis.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's one the internet has not been able to help me with thus far.

A series of kid detective books (Encyclopedia Brown-style) with computer- or technology-themed mysteries. The only one that comes to mind is one where the local bullies are scamming kids on bets on who gets the high score on a video game by stealthily resetting the machine before their player puts their quarter in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

This rang a bell. I vaguely remember a book (possibly a series) about a boy detective named Chip that used his computer to solve mysteries. Google was no help in finding that, but it did lead me to a book called "The Secret of the Video Game Scores & other mysteries" from the series "Hawkeye Collins and Amy Adams" which sounds like it might be the one you're looking for?