Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for May:

"Experience Large Police Myself Moment" lol, Tasmania is always best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Local Made China Brunch

HAHA Need Meat Jobs :discourse:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So anyone in the media asking why the gently caress NSW Police decided to have an engagement with protesters inside a train station? Central station at Sydney isn't really the most visible place to have an engagement and it's still one stop down from where the main protest looked to be, so I can only guess that some NSW Police commander or something was feeling salty and decided to make a point and get some people hosed up.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Recoome posted:

So anyone in the media asking why the gently caress NSW Police decided to have an engagement with protesters inside a train station? Central station at Sydney isn't really the most visible place to have an engagement and it's still one stop down from where the main protest looked to be, so I can only guess that some NSW Police commander or something was feeling salty and decided to make a point and get some people hosed up.
The protest marched from Town Hall down to the park across the road from Central. Nearly everyone just walked across Eddy Avenue to Central to get home. Looks like the cops waited until most people had left so they had the numbers, then forced the last remaining protesters inside the station. They trapped the protesters, kept professional film crews out, then started loving people up.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I was at the protest, but not at the sit in that happened at Central. The March took us from Town Hall to Belmore Park near Central, I left at that point but a smaller group started up again and continued onto Eddy Ave (still first hand here, they ended up blocking the bus I was on). Everything seemed pretty peaceful still. The police were marshalling them of course, but no violence or even arrests from what I could tell.
Everything after this point is speculation and second hand info. That group, or a part of it then staged an impromptu sit in at Central, this group was primarily non-white, unlike the protest that had a mix of all ages, colours and creeds. I have a feeling that the police, knowing the media had packed up and that in the public eye the protest was 'unlawful' (the appeal went through it was lawful) decided that it was easier just to pepper spray them than actually do policing.

EDIT: the media isn't asking these questions for the same reason that I saw almost no broadcast cammos shooting the speeches. They were all shooting the police lines looking all stoic at the start.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

nah, too busy licking boot

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Journalists think that if they keep being good little boys and girls and sucking up to them it will mean the cops don’t kick them when it suits the cops (theyre wrong)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
#YouGov Poll QLD State 2 Party Preferred: ALP 48 (-2) LNP 52 (+2) #qldpol #auspol

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Anidav posted:

#YouGov Poll QLD State 2 Party Preferred: ALP 48 (-2) LNP 52 (+2) #qldpol #auspol

I just don’t get Queensland

Do they think that the border closure is good or bad?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

teacup posted:

I just don’t get Queensland

Do they think that the border closure is good or bad?

Not sure the word "think" applies much

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

iajanus posted:

Not sure the word "think" applies much

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-no-longer-the-smart-state-20120722-22hpw.html

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

XTimmy posted:

So I was at the protest, but not at the sit in that happened at Central. The March took us from Town Hall to Belmore Park near Central, I left at that point but a smaller group started up again and continued onto Eddy Ave (still first hand here, they ended up blocking the bus I was on). Everything seemed pretty peaceful still. The police were marshalling them of course, but no violence or even arrests from what I could tell.
Everything after this point is speculation and second hand info. That group, or a part of it then staged an impromptu sit in at Central, this group was primarily non-white, unlike the protest that had a mix of all ages, colours and creeds. I have a feeling that the police, knowing the media had packed up and that in the public eye the protest was 'unlawful' (the appeal went through it was lawful) decided that it was easier just to pepper spray them than actually do policing.

EDIT: the media isn't asking these questions for the same reason that I saw almost no broadcast cammos shooting the speeches. They were all shooting the police lines looking all stoic at the start.

This is when I went home too, I didn't know what was going on and I'd lost the people I was with

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/teargas-coronavirus-george-floyd-protests

quote:

Because coronavirus spreads through droplets of mucus and spit that people launch into the air when they cough, sneeze, breathe and talk, teargas and other irritants that cause people to choke, hack and rip off their face masks will help the virus proliferate, according to Dr Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious disease physician who helped draft the petition.
Gas and pepper sprays also cause tears, saliva and mucus to stream from demonstrators’ eyes and noses, said Chin-Hong. “And it’ll cause people to shout and scream, propelling droplets of these fluids – which could be carrying coronavirus – and giving them superpowers, to spread much farther than six feet.”
Moreover, these chemical agents can irritate the nose, mouth and lungs, causing inflammation that could weaken the body’s ability to resist infection, he said.
So the police who were so concerned about the spread of the virus during the protest might now have accelerated it by forcing a crowd into a confined space and using pepper spray

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A feelgood story:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-07/wa-liberals-under-liza-harvey-losing-hope-of-winning-election/12299608

Includes this very funny mental image:

"Ms Harvey's doubling — and tripling — down on calls to reopen the interstate border are the biggest source of angst. Just over a fortnight ago, she was met by "stunned silence", according to multiple MPs, when she nonchalantly told her party room she had just publicly called for the interstate border to come down."

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Every few months an American on Twitter discovers one of the many racist things Sunrise has done and buddy. I'm👏Here👏For👏It

https://twitter.com/EttyTweets/status/1268844020559753216

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
like I'm giving the Brisbane Times clicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TGu76zOCs

Comedy isn't dead.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 7, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cartoon posted:

Comedy isn't dead.

My eyes have never rolled as hard.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Deb! Is gonna win off of ONP and Palmer magic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gotta give the devil his due I guess

https://twitter.com/joshuaclov3r/status/1269425492643377152?s=21

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

joke absolutely stolen from somewhere else: charge of the traffic light brigade

(possibly the tweets thread?)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Wizard Master posted:

Every few months an American on Twitter discovers one of the many racist things Sunrise has done and buddy. I'm👏Here👏For👏It

Haha god drat Kochie's face.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1269594657006039040?s=19

:yeshaha:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm of the opinion that the Coalition needs to be below 40 to lose government.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Wizard Master posted:

It's so confusing a moment that I buy her excuse that she was jokingly commiserating with someone whose skin was paler than usual because she was naturally pale. She couldn't have meant it in the way it comes off, it's too stupid.

I dunno who she is though. Does she have a habit of doing stuff like that? Edit: lol wtf, her ancestor dispossessed and murdered Aborigines and he was even tied to poisoning those who possessed land he wanted. Well now.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 7, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'd click that twitter twins link, but I'm already cringing with pre-shame.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

I'm of the opinion that the Coalition needs to be below 40 to lose government.

But greens back up to 12 is awesome

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WORDS ARE LIKE WEAPONS, THEY WOUND SOMETIMES

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Words can kill

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Words can kill

go back to the desert, Paul

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Blot posted:

In the US, celebrities and protesters call for police to be abolished. In Australia, jeering girls chant "f... the police". In Britain, the ultimate symbol of a civilisation crumbling: police run away from race rioters who control the streets, with few politicians daring to challenge them. Watch and weep for the crumbling of West.
The police are the ultimate symbol of the West?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

I'm of the opinion that the Coalition needs to be 6' below to lose government.
Totally agree.

Also NTATA got honoured. Do they make the medals out of compressed bullshit?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

snoremac posted:

The police are the ultimate symbol of the West?

The Police are the vanguard of capitalism yes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Some good news!

Has the coronavirus pandemic proved that homelessness is solvable? posted:

"The silver lining in the pandemic is that we've got these people in our grasp for the first time," said Bevan Warner, the CEO of Launch Housing in Melbourne.
"It's shown that homelessness is solvable. For the first time, we've got an opportunity to work with them from rough sleeping into a permanent home and a good life."

In New South Wales, 100 people have been successfully transitioned off the streets into permanent accommodation since April — in a state that usually only manages around 200 in a year.
In South Australia, Neami National is placing around six people a day — well above its usual rate of around 11 a month.

The difference is that for the first time, social workers are not trying to help clients who are constantly on the move.
"If we go back to their sleep site, they may not be there and you may not see them again for months," said Launch Housing outreach worker Dana McGrory.

Hopefully they will stick at it. I mean it should be a no brainier but... yeah. NSW and QLD are sounding like they might.

NZ is already extending their program out for another year. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/new-zealand-sheltered-its-homeless-during-covid-19-but-can-it-last

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dr_rat posted:

Some good news!

Hopefully they will stick at it. I mean it should be a no brainier but... yeah. NSW and QLD are sounding like they might.

NZ is already extending their program out for another year. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/new-zealand-sheltered-its-homeless-during-covid-19-but-can-it-last

Been wondering about that - with unemployment up and a lot of jobs gone I'd have expected to see more people sleeping rough in the CBD - I usually am in Sydney well before dawn and usually see plenty of homeless. I have seen much less.

Hopefully that program does indeed continue.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
A very good mentor and uncle like figure of mine got a Queen's Honours Award today.

I am very happy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How long have you know tony for?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Since he first shirtfronted them out of their mother

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

so much for the tollerant left

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
First half of qanda good, also the last bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU