Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah. Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sttwo :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol John "some dude" Cage

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously, like, don't you fuckers remember when he punched Goro square in the nuts?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gleebster posted:

Either John Cage's 4'33" or the musician is about to play Debussy and someone in the audience is coughing.

That's not John Cage, so what's this Debussy thing? (I know he was a composer)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I hate that I'm 90% certain this is parody but that I'm only 90% certain

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Its not

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gleebster posted:

Either John Cage's 4'33" or the musician is about to play Debussy and someone in the audience is coughing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jun 6, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no it wouldn't. given an infinite universe containing some amount of matter, it is inevitable that a stone projected by a trebuchet into space in any direction will eventually intersect with a star.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also a trebuchet in space wouldn't work

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah the entire premise of the thing is counterweight which it wouldn't have

That dumb brain is thinking of a slingshot

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Sagebrush posted:

no it wouldn't. given an infinite universe containing some amount of matter, it is inevitable that a stone projected by a trebuchet into space in any direction will eventually intersect with a star.

Not necessarily, due to increasing entropy stars will at some point cease to exist and all matter will turn into heath. A stone will at some point decay just the same but he might just never hit another piece of matter.

E: that's right, heath, as in Heathcliff the lovable scamp we all grew to adore. What a great prospect!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if you fired it anywhere near a mass it would just orbit that mass and not go any further. Thus depending on how you determine "range" the range is limited to about twice the orbital apoapse.

Which, technically, is true of all rocks, fired out of a trebuchet or not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Heath posted:

You just mount the trebuchet 299.99 meters below the point where the projectile would no longer be bound by earth's gravity. There, easy.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
if you cover the projectile in sharkskin it will easily slip earth's surly bonds, too smooth for gravity to hold on to

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Heath posted:

check out this loving ballista lover

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Heath posted:

This post brought to you by the Torsion Engine Artillery Gang

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If Bart Simpson fires a slingshot into space, how long before the stone collides with another object and he's finally allowed to see the Itchy & Scratchy Movie

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Heath posted:

If Bart Simpson fires a slingshot into space, how long before the stone collides with another object and he's finally allowed to see the Itchy & Scratchy Movie

It first collides with Poochi, on the way back to his home planet.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Uhhh actually I’m pretty sure a catapult would be preferable in such a low gravity environment
:goonsay:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is that wc3 difficulty box

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gleebster posted:

Coughing?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:yeah:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
https://twitter.com/jimamendments/status/1269089857328099328

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

How did he know to start this gimmick

What did he see

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turns out you can just pick the most weird fuckin idea and within like 10 years it'll happen.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Someone else already said it but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNQhiqWJao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja_DR978IrU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks, I hate it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

All these are good but oh man, this speaks to my childhood. Anyone remember when sci-fi channel first debuted and for a week or two all it was was some trippy music and a psychedelic screensaver? They’d revert back to it at night sometimes too when I think they didn’t have any programming to fill in the slots. It was all just so early 90’s.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

:discourse:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Son of Rodney posted:

Not necessarily, due to increasing entropy stars will at some point cease to exist and all matter will turn into heath.

Good. Maybe then we'll get a good Joker movie.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What is 'not this' doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Factory work of some kind, looks like.