Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

LonsomeSon posted:

It’s substantially faster if you just don’t dismantle them ~

I mean that's an aesthetic nightmare and I'd rather die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Black Griffon posted:

The greatest possible aesthetic crime is a planet which is not surfaced in a uniform layer of concrete.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Black Griffon posted:

Hold ctrl to mass destruct objects, nice and quick

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

LonsomeSon posted:

The greatest possible aesthetic crime is a planet which is not surfaced in a uniform layer of concrete.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay but it wouldn't be on The Grid. It'd be on its own grid. And that's unacceptable.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

you must leave a scant remnant of nature unattended to remind the conquered that it is conquered

Sweeper posted:

Hold ctrl to mass destruct objects, nice and quick

sometimes you just have to jump, man

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stackable supports are much better for getting up places in my opinion.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

oh poo poo I hadn't even thought of that, it's basically just an ugly stepladder in the first place

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Did they finally fix the problem with placing them that you could place multiple supports on the same "spot" if you didn't move your mouse enough to snap to the next height?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For anyone else using Satisfactory Mod Loader and having issues with black screen/crashing after the update: select the mod profile you want, then exit SML and restart it. It'll prompt to update everything; do so. For some reason the "check for updates" command doesn't do anything but the automatic check when SML starts up works fine.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Still no dedicated server or mp fixes huh :sigh:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

kloa posted:

Still no dedicated server or mp fixes huh :sigh:

Those two are really the same thing. A dedicated server is just a game that doesn't display the graphics, so once they get multiplayer working correctly for anyone who isn't the host, the dediated server is mostly done.
The steam release is next week, so hopefully we'll see some progress in that direction after that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sulphagnist posted:

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

:boom:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Okay but it wouldn't be on The Grid. It'd be on its own grid. And that's unacceptable.

The Grid of all Grids must either encompass or fail to encompass the deviant Grid.

Black Griffon posted:

you must leave a scant remnant of nature unattended to remind the conquered that it is conquered

The testaments to my works shall be sterile, uniformly-shaped sepulchers, gliding
Staid and stately forever through the night, under
Unblinking and unchoosing gazes of their parent stars

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Newb here. OK so my steel is far from my base. For the beams I brought conveyors over and now I need to bring the pipes over. I have looked at merging my steel pipes and beams onto the existing belt and then using a smart splitter to split them up once they got to the base. Or would I be better off with a vehicle? I started in the northern forest start described in ImKibitz's starting site guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJ3iC2bXaU which I would suggest be added to the OP since we'll probably see a lot of new players with the game on Steam on Monday.

Any suggestions appreciated.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mayveena posted:

Newb here. OK so my steel is far from my base. For the beams I brought conveyors over and now I need to bring the pipes over. I have looked at merging my steel pipes and beams onto the existing belt and then using a smart splitter to split them up once they got to the base. Or would I be better off with a vehicle? I started in the northern forest start described in ImKibitz's starting site guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJ3iC2bXaU which I would suggest be added to the OP since we'll probably see a lot of new players with the game on Steam on Monday.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If you've already built one belt, I'd just use stackable conveyors and run two belts on the same path. Trucks can be difficult for handling two item types like beams and pipes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lot of times you gotta bite the bullet and build a long rear end conveyor from your ore to your base. I personally like conveying ore in so if I need to upscale at my base I can instead of running to the node. There's plenty of times when processing at the node is more reasonable. My starter base is at the easy location and theres plenty of iron there to make steel with, I have 2 different coal nodes coming in, one goes to my powerstations and the other to various things like steel and gunpowder.

I really got crunched for iron products at the last stage of the space elevator research, but before that I was totally flush with beams and pipes, so do whatever you need to now, later you'll have to expand it anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of the things I've been doing on my later builds is making good use of extra storage buffers for surge production needs. Not just a storage unit at the end of the line like I always have, but putting one immediately after it comes out of the manufacturer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I stick by my tried-and-true Hub with Storage design:

- Each manufacturing product goes into one of a ring of storage containers, which then exits out to a conveyor belt that circle around above the storage containers.
- Each new product pulls from that ring for raw materials.

The end result is a central hub that you have access to all your products quickly (great for stocking up before an expedition), and it's easy to know when it's time to expand the production of a product, because the output of the containers starts exceeding the input.

You can then put your hub or your space elevator or a train station or whatever you like in the middle.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I stick by my tried-and-true Hub with Storage design:

- Each manufacturing product goes into one of a ring of storage containers, which then exits out to a conveyor belt that circle around above the storage containers.
- Each new product pulls from that ring for raw materials.

The end result is a central hub that you have access to all your products quickly (great for stocking up before an expedition), and it's easy to know when it's time to expand the production of a product, because the output of the containers starts exceeding the input.

You can then put your hub or your space elevator or a train station or whatever you like in the middle.

This is radical...radial.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

chairface posted:

If you've already built one belt, I'd just use stackable conveyors and run two belts on the same path. Trucks can be difficult for handling two item types like beams and pipes.

That's what I ended up doing and it's working fine. Now to figure out why my steel ingots are at 1% production even though there's more than enough material in the foundry.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've had a few instances before where I've had junk somehow get placed into the assembly line, particularly with power shards back on update 3 experimental. Which results in it sitting there before it actually enters the machine, but far enough inside that it's incredibly easy to miss.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mayveena posted:

That's what I ended up doing and it's working fine. Now to figure out why my steel ingots are at 1% production even though there's more than enough material in the foundry.

you might have gotten something clogged in the intake...they really need to make it simpler to clear a machine, like I know how to do it, but it took me a long time to find a way around really carefully picking the wrong object out of the input. (the way around is temporarily select a recipe with the wrong object and extract it internally)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Deleting and rebuilding the input belt ought to do it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Deleting and rebuilding the input belt ought to do it.

yep that does it too. it was more of an issue early but I didn't find it too frustrating later. it's just bad if you reuse manufacturers like I do instead of building permanent specific products.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

gotta admit that after three vids I'm gonna stop watching imkibitz because his voice sucks

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

gotta admit that after three vids I'm gonna stop watching imkibitz because his voice sucks

He’s better in small doses. :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

serene

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

At this point I watch Kibz because I don’t have the patience to retool my base into something ridiculous. Not until something new comes out at least.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

TK-42-1 posted:

At this point I watch Kibz because I don’t have the patience to retool my base into something ridiculous. Not until something new comes out at least.

I started binging his update 3 play through the other day and this guy plays a lot, holy gently caress. His patience is unreal as well, he sets things up that I wouldn’t even consider doing half of. His catch phrases and poo poo are very annoying but he plays the game so well I just ignore it

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

As luck would have it, I have today off, and my kids were going to be out of the house for most of the day. When I get up and check if the game is listed on Steam yet, not until 3pm local. :argh:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orvin posted:

As luck would have it, I have today off, and my kids were going to be out of the house for most of the day. When I get up and check if the game is listed on Steam yet, not until 3pm local. :argh:

The Steam time is wrong. The correct time is 5pm GMT. Here is a link to figure out your time.

https://everytimezone.com/convert/gmt/5pm

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've been trying to drag my buddy into playing this with me, but can't see to get him to catch the building bug. He likes other building games like Minecraft and Terreria, but I don't think ever played any factory-type games like Factorio. Suggestions?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bobulus posted:

I've been trying to drag my buddy into playing this with me, but can't see to get him to catch the building bug. He likes other building games like Minecraft and Terreria, but I don't think ever played any factory-type games like Factorio. Suggestions?

I'm a little hesitant to recommend him, but really Imkibitz is the YouTuber who explains stuff the best for me. However you have to kind of measure out the doses of him:)

Conversely, just have him buy the game on Steam or Epic and play with you, being very careful not to exceed the two hour refund window.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Frankly what got me to buy the game was seeing gameplay videos from people who were really slow to catch on the to the game and played badly and constantly missed obvious clues to doing things better. I wanted to show (myself) I could do better...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mayveena posted:

The Steam time is wrong. The correct time is 5pm GMT. Here is a link to figure out your time.

https://everytimezone.com/convert/gmt/5pm

Steam still tells me it plans to unlock in 4 hours, though I suppose that'll go down an hour when 1pm est rolls around.

The time is right if the other poster is in CST. the official announcement on steam doesn't give a time or timezone.

I'm jazzed to play it too. :argh: :(

Edit: oh I see the countdown on their stream. Still, steam is lying to us all

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hopefully someone can help me with this before we get inundated :)

Why won't my oil flow through the pipes?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mayveena posted:

The image is tiny for me, so I can't give you a precise answer, but the most common reason why is that the flowrate through a pipe will be slowed / eventually stopped by going uphill. You fix this by attaching pumps near the uphill part (you can't stack pumps near the harvester, I tried)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mayveena posted:

How's your power? Are you pumping uphill and need pumps? Is your chem plant set up to handle oil or is it set to something else? Have you backed up the pipes with another product and need to flush them?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bobulus posted:

The image is tiny for me, so I can't give you a precise answer, but the most common reason why is that the flowrate through a pipe will be slowed / eventually stopped by going uphill. You fix this by attaching pumps near the uphill part (you can't stack pumps near the harvester, I tried)

If you click on the image you can see a larger one. This is from the refinery and the oil has never flowed. I do have pipes going uphill though down the line, wasn't thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

How's your power? Are you pumping uphill and need pumps? Is your chem plant set up to handle oil or is it set to something else? Have you backed up the pipes with another product and need to flush them?

Power is there, I checked the closest power pole and it's sending power. I'm sending the oil to the refinery to make plastic. I have the refinery outputting to a fluid buffer and a storage container. There's no other connection that is interfacing with the oil pipes.