Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Don’t the tall tales have save points now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

They do, but the whole moment was just so surreal. They actually surrendered the booty!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Commends for your piracy, but you relinquish the extra commends that would go to you for being more clever than required and/or making it fun and/or challenging for your victims.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Reduced commendation for lack of photographs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hits Steam today.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

You'll have to buy it again if you want to play it through Steam. There's no discount if you already own it through the Microsoft Store.

Got some info from a dev who said yes, you still have to use the Xbox Companion App and/or the Xbox Game Bar to join/invite your friends. Can't use your Steam friends list because that's not cross-platform.

There's no real advantage to using Steam over the Microsoft Store, other than slightly faster download speeds and bragging rights, I guess.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Reduced commendation for lack of photographs.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/639834746

Sorry about the low res, we were trying to stream on low res/fps to see if my friend could watch stream on another monitor while we played, with his crap internet.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Commends for your piracy, but you relinquish the extra commends that would go to you for being more clever than required and/or making it fun and/or challenging for your victims.

I suppose the next level would be making them dance while firing flintlocks at their feet, or telling them to farm an Ashen Key for our Ashen Chest and leave it behind the supply store at Sanctuary Outpost ("we have pirates watching at every outpost! Don't try to screw us or we'll know!" *taps hourglass*).

And yes, I'm hanging my head in shame for failing to nail their mast with like four chainshot.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Merijn posted:

You'll have to buy it again if you want to play it through Steam. There's no discount if you already own it through the Microsoft Store.

Got some info from a dev who said yes, you still have to use the Xbox Companion App and/or the Xbox Game Bar to join/invite your friends. Can't use your Steam friends list because that's not cross-platform.

There's no real advantage to using Steam over the Microsoft Store, other than slightly faster download speeds and bragging rights, I guess.

Well that was a waste of their effort.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That's excellent. The we have you surrounded was great.

Should've had one of you take the boat and the other help with the tale quest and mermaid/ferry back lol

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Should've had one of you take the boat and the other help with the tale quest and mermaid/ferry back lol

Yeah seriously that's a good idea, we should do that if it ever comes up again.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Carecat posted:

Well that was a waste of their effort.

I dunno, some people seem to hate the MS Store enough that they held off on buying SoT until now.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I just got this and I am trying to login and I just get stuck on reporting for duty with strawberrybeard error. Launching from Steam, is it me or them?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Merijn posted:

I dunno, some people seem to hate the MS Store enough that they held off on buying SoT until now.

*raises hook*

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

BadLlama posted:

I just got this and I am trying to login and I just get stuck on reporting for duty with strawberrybeard error. Launching from Steam, is it me or them?

It's them. Servers are overloaded due to the influx of new users.

https://twitter.com/SoT_Support/status/1268566963963547654

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

BadLlama posted:

It's them. Supposedly fixed now.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I got this game on a whim on steam, and I am having a blast(cannon blast).

It's just the right amount of dumb and pretty water! I got drunk off grog and played bad music in the crows nest, barfing on my mates.

We also stocked up on explosive barrels and had expected results.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Merijn posted:

I'm one of those too, I've had so many problems downloading large games from the MS Store that it isn't worth the trouble. A problem that still persisted all the way until Gears 4, which was years and several computers past when I first experienced it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Merijn posted:

I didn't really care, but I never wanted to play the game solo and my friends did care. We all got it last night and had a blast, though most of the fun was being drunk and loving up repeatedly.

We started our first voyage and none of us remembered that there was a button to bring up maps, and that possibly the Voyage info would be there. So we sailed towards a skull cloud/red indicator for the skeleton chest thinking that was our goal.

Then after we finally figured it out and did the voyage/went back to town, one of the boys stole the ship and proceeded to sink it within 5 minutes. Turns out it's hard to work a Galleon by yourself.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So I just got this game with a friend. Have no idea what I'm doing. Did a couple of quests and got stomped by a dude when I was in the middle of a tall tale. Are there goons to group up with?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Good Discord is at the bottom of the OP. Happy Sailing!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is this decent if I wanna play by myself? I have friends but they hate everything fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Krataar posted:

So I just got this game with a friend. Have no idea what I'm doing. Did a couple of quests and got stomped by a dude when I was in the middle of a tall tale. Are there goons to group up with?

you always wanna be scanning the horizon. It may be even worth keeping one person in the crow's next exclusively if you're particularly worried. always be ready to do a fighting retreat (when you stop someplace, drop your anchor, then raise your sails, then raise your anchor so if you need to get going all you have to do is drop your sails and you're off)

Glass of Milk posted:

Is this decent if I wanna play by myself? I have friends but they hate everything fun.

playing alone is possible but it's Sea of Thieves on hard mode. you gotta really be on top of your sailing game

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Pattonesque posted:

you always wanna be scanning the horizon. It may be even worth keeping one person in the crow's next exclusively if you're particularly worried. always be ready to do a fighting retreat (when you stop someplace, drop your anchor, then raise your sails, then raise your anchor so if you need to get going all you have to do is drop your sails and you're off)

Yeah we had somebody up top watching for awhile, we got caught leaving an outpost so we had just offloaded a bunch of stuff for money. Only thing we lost was a totem for a tall tale.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Playing Sea of Thieves solo is possible (almost literally everything can be done solo in the game) but can be very hard, especially for newbies.

Join the good discord in the OP and ask for crewmates when you're going to sail. There's usually one or two awake and willing to join.

I did three Tall Tales back to back with Chev last night and we only saw a brig at an outpost where we had to be, but didn't get engaged by anyone at all.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 5, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Merijn posted:

but didn't get engaged by anyone at all.
Anyone who had a soul, anyway. Skellies and sharks and splatoons were all over us.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I've been solo slooping for a long time, and recently hit Pirate Legend on my own. I'm going to disagree with what people here are saying. It is not difficult to sail a sloop by yourself, but there is a lot of things that you pick up over time through experience. It's less about skill and more about knowing what tasks need to be given priority when multitasking.

The biggest tip I can give you for solo slooping is don't get too caught up in your grind. As a solo slooper you have one benefit to other crews, in that you can unilaterally decide "gently caress it" at any time and decide to go do something random without giving a poo poo about anybody else's opinion. Take advantage of this. I saw a galleon the other day in the middle of my voyage, plopped a keg on my bow and tried to crash directly into them with it. I died, but it was fun. Another day I saw a sloop fighting a skeleton ship, I was going to go gank them and take all the loot, but for some reason, I raised an alliance flag instead, and me and them went off and did a fort together.

You have the ability to mix it up at any time and that emergence is one of the biggest strengths of Sea of Thieves. Dropping a voyage costs you what, like 150 gold? That's nothing, and you are only voyaging for cosmetics anyway. Don't get caught up in the grind, do random poo poo.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
hell yeah playing solo is just as good as playing with friends. and now is the best time because all the new players will let you safely engage more often than before.

dorked around as a solo reaper last night:

sloop is the obvious choice if you want to remain as combat effective as possible but i just wanna say i sincerely enjoy solo brig'ing sometimes

you have to multitask like kevin costner in waterworld just to keep the sails angled properly but once you get used to using wider turns to buy a few angling seconds you can be surprisingly efficient. it may seem like a lot of effort at first but if you master it you can get around faster than a sloop.

and people always think of the brig as a pure PVP ship but when i am solo and want to do merchant runs it helps keep things interesting. people are less likely to chase a brig and from a distance its harder to tell if you're undermanned than a galleon

also good for when treating your ship as a disposable torpedo while trying to bilgerat/tuck my way onto another ship

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Arsonide posted:

don't get too caught up in your grind.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

For those who don't already have the game and are contemplating Microsoft Store vs. Steam version, I'd go with Steam.

I like and play the game so much I decided to break down and get the Steam one also.

For me (and many others) the Microsoft Store version has an issue where if you alt tab out of the game and tab back in the Windows mouse cursor is there, and you have to do something to "clear" it, sometimes resulting in awkward stuff like you shooting or swording a powder keg or not being able to do critical game stuff you're trying to do.

There's also an issue with it where sometimes the Windows taskbar will appear at the edge of the screen, usually if you're doing something like moving the mouse cursor or view towards the edges of the screen, which can again lead to you not doing stuff you're trying to do or even closing the game. I was able to eliminate this by making some Windows changes I'd looked up but it was super annoying.

From what I can tell the Steam version doesn't have these issues. I've read that it's a "true fullscreen" application whereas the Microsoft Store version is not and that's the reason for those problems. On the Steam version if I tab back into the game the Windows mouse cursor is there but disappears after a split second without my doing anything special.

Other issues - the Microsoft Store version doesn't seem to update automatically for me even though I set it to do that, I only know if I have trouble logging in and then check at the Microsoft Store page for the game, THEN it automatically updates as soon as I get to the page. I'm assuming the Steam version will update automatically without doing that but not sure yet.

Gameplay seems smoother and less laggy (my hardware is not epic) but I'll report on this as time goes on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

as the man says, it's not about the gold, it's about the glory

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Got it on Steam with a few gaming friends. Was pretty fun. With no idea what we were doing we entered a 15 minute deathmatch with a skeleton ship while we were attached umbilically by harpoon . We eventually won by expending every cannonball whilst blowing all the loot uselessly into the wake miles behind us.

I tried pootling around solo doing missions earlier but I found it a pretty barren and unrewarding experience comparatively. Also I find the treasure management completely horrendous. I kinda get the idea that it's meant to make you vulnerable to being thieved from, but yeah. It really does feel awful. God help you if you find more than 4-5 items that have to be carried as a solo player.

Certainly feels like the game gets infinitely more mileage as a crew of friends just going round to gently caress poo poo up, maybe doing a big story mission or something.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Don't forget that you can harpoon things/people onto your boat. And collector's chests help you carry multiples of the small trophies around. Rowboats are an efficient way to move chests, too. All help a lot, but especially in solo.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ILL Machina posted:

Don't forget that you can harpoon things/people onto your boat. And collector's chests help you carry multiples of the small trophies around. Rowboats are an efficient way to move chests, too. All help a lot, but especially in solo.

Yeah, the rowboat seems like the thinking looters' choice.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Jeza posted:

I tried pootling around solo doing missions earlier but I found it a pretty barren and unrewarding experience comparatively. Also I find the treasure management completely horrendous. I kinda get the idea that it's meant to make you vulnerable to being thieved from, but yeah. It really does feel awful. God help you if you find more than 4-5 items that have to be carried as a solo player.

I was watching a streamer yesterday who sank a duo who had been doing god knows what. It took him 20 minutes to harpoon all the poo poo onto his deck and 3 in-game days to turn it all in.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One trick I've been doing lately for turning in treasure is to harpoon the other crew members running treasure back to the ship while you keep an eye out and bring the haul up for them.

Rowboats seemed too vulnerable while you have ships coming back constantly for revenge or a shot at your ill gotten gains and you might have to get everyone back on board at a moments notice.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One trick I've been doing lately for turning in treasure is to harpoon the other crew members running treasure back to the ship while you keep an eye out and bring the haul up for them.

HOLY poo poo

EDIT: vvvvv Yeah that trick works great. Nothing like lodging a rowboat full of stuff in the middle of the Reapers hideout.

life_source fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 6, 2020

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Get a harpoon rowboat, put all loot on rowboat. Harpoon yourself to center of the outpost.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BoneMonkey posted:

Get a harpoon rowboat, put all loot on rowboat. Harpoon yourself to center of the outpost.

I've lost some large hauls because the crew got divided trying to defend the rowboat full of treasure and deal with incoming ships splitting between sinking us and stealing the rowboats goodies.

Rowboat is the fastest if you are 100% alone but it's much safer to just turn in the old fashioned way but using the ships harpoons to speed up crew returns, then if someone comes you can quickly get everyone back on board and ready to sail and defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played for the first time last night and didn't know how quests work and saw a red skull icon on my map and figured that was the quest so we went there and saw a rainbow swirly thing thinking that was a marker for the quest but turns out we got a reaper's chest out of a sucken ship.

We did successfully get to the outpost and turn in it. Was worried someone was gonna gun for us since I guess that icon shows to everyone.