Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

I loving hate everyone who decides to play a child character in D&D and before I get quoted, no, your reason for doing so isn't cute or quirky enough to change my mind.

Put if you play youths you get to do coming-of-age arcs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I just want to play Harry Potter :(

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
There are stories that can be done with a child character, it is often done wrong of course by adults. But of course if a player is a child it should be reasonable for them to play a child character, although there would be some question of why the party is bringing a child along, then again if a child is better able to fight off monsters than the adult members of the party ...

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

I loving hate everyone who decides to play a child character in D&D and before I get quoted, no, your reason for doing so isn't cute or quirky enough to change my mind.

Hell yeah

Also, I'm sure it's just adding to the chorus, but if you're going to surprise your players with new elements, please flag it.

"You could swear you hit the same opening before, but now there seems to be some kind of plating."

That's a good one for if they get tougher after being hit. But if it's changing somewhat randomly, throw in a "you move for a feint, but somehow it connected?" or on a miss "huh, that's funny. Your arrow threw the monster off as you'd expect, but the back of your brain is telling you that was way closer to a hit than you'd expect, it seems distracted."

"Ha! It was an awkward attack, but somehow connected anyway. Looks like the monster was scared by whatever's behind you. Ok, whose turn is it, Eric's? Were you still planning on casting swift quiver here? "

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

its fine if the player is a seasoned and skilled roleplayer. most players are not good enough to do it. i have had it work in exactly one of my games out of the hundreds i have run over the years

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm playing a teen wizard right now and it's going fine, but any younger and I feel like it wouldn't work (thank you all for talking me out of it earlier)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Beverly Toegold V is the only good child character in D&D.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh most games I've been in aren't played with such a tone where like a young teen wouldn't be appropriate as a travel companion.

I don't think I'd do younger than like 12-13. But like I'm not playing in games with a ton of objectional content for a teen.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

With the talk of lovecraftian horror earlier, I thought I'd share a bit of prep I did tonight.

For context: The party (five level 5 characters) finally crossed the island and arrived in Saltmarsh. This excites the warlock especially, because there's a library he can use to (hopefully) find out more about his patron. You see, he didn't exactly knowingly make a deal. Instead he found a tome, started reading it, and even though he couldn't understand it (which is surprising, because he is a studious and well read character) he felt a presence that gave him his powers and now compels him to do certain things. After deciding on the Great Old One archetype together, the player gave me free reign to decide everything else as I see fit. Whatever fits with the story I'm weaving.

So anyway, here's what he'll find in the library:

quote:

You scan the titles of the many books on the many shelves surrounding you, mentally preparing for the hours you will need just to take it all in. It is indeed quite a collection and on many different topics. As you walk around to take in your surroundings, you absentmindedly trace the spines of several books with your fingers when suddenly you halt, one of your fingertips seemingly glued -but only for a moment- to a single nondescript book, small and bland.
Inside you find several scraps of an old, worn text hidden away between the pages of a romance novel, Tusk Love, as if it was not meant to be found. But you found it, and with a hint of excitement you feel that this was what you were looking for.

Written in archaic, clumsy common as if the text is not only old but was translated with some degree of inaccuracy from an even older primary source, you find descriptions of ancient beings, unfathomably old, living among the stars.

As you read, you feel a chill run down your spine. Sweat glistens on your forehead. Dread fills your heart. Large pieces of the descriptions are missing, which only terrifies you further. Your imagination can not possibly be worse than reality, you tell yourself to calm yourself. You take a deep breath. Can it?

You read about Atropus, at other times referred to as the World Born Dead. From context, you make out it is a disembodied head the size of a small moon, covered in foul amniotic fluid, floating among the stars in search of planets filled with life that it may lay waste to.

Your hands tremble but find another scrap of paper as if acting of their own volition. You cannot stop reading.

Dendar the Night Serpent, said to be 300 feet long, hungers for the nightmares of both man and god.

Hadar, a star said to sometimes be faintly visible in the night sky, is a dying ember slowly losing its power, no longer capable of directly influencing the world himself. Instead he gives those that worship it or one of its siblings small tokens of its power in an attempt to stay relevant. You recognize this power. You have been given some of these gifts.

But he is not your patron.

There were others described here, but lost to time. A twang of anger, of disappointment. You were drawn here, driven here, and had expected more. Answers, or at least an answer, if only to satisfy your deep desire to know who you serve.

A slip of paper falls out. You catch it. On the front you find an odd combination of letters, but you recognize it as a name.

Aiuzor'endurh

On the back a brief description, made briefer by the ravages of time.

The Youngest Old One. […] seems Aiuzor does not crave death and destruction as his older siblings […] delights in confusion and chaos […] as a garden or orchard from which to pluck […] signs of its meddling in politics as well as personal relationships […] pleasure […] strange and mysterious items, as well as imbuing individuals with peculiar abilities and curious […]

You have finally met your patron, and for a moment you sense its presence as if in greeting. Its fearful presence is but temporary, you realize now, and for a moment it drops the facade. You are reminded of when you were child, and the stern village elder you and your friends feared would make a joke and wink, revealing a youthful and playful mind behind the ancient, wrinkled face.

Aiuzor winks at you. This is as close as you can come to understanding the sensation, before it returns to business.

You have work to do. You are now an agent of chaos in pursuit of order. A balance has been disturbed and the fate of the world might well be in your hands.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 5, 2020

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kaysette posted:

Beverly Toegold V is the only good child character in D&D.

Came here to post this

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

My actual literal children are playing adult characters! I mean yes, this means that my five-year-old's character acts like a five-year-old thinks an adult would, but it never even occurred to them to ask.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering how many skilled combat professions in Medieval times and earlier started in childhood (Jannisarries, Being a Knight, etc) I think it also presents a wide amount of easy to roleplay backgrounds. I think it makes sense if you're starting a fresh campaign from level 1.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering how many skilled combat professions in Medieval times and earlier started in childhood (Jannisarries, Being a Knight, etc) I think it also presents a wide amount of easy to roleplay backgrounds. I think it makes sense if you're starting a fresh campaign from level 1.
:chloe:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Several prominent Roman generals/politicians started their careers at 14 to 16, I'm not sure what you're reaction is, but the historical precedent is there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Child heroes are an enormously popular trope in all fiction, let alone fantasy, and this weird new thread groove where actually that's bad is not a good take.

Like if someone makes playing a child at the table weird, that's on them and maybe you, not the concept.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would like to hear the gory details of what prompted this in particular

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Several prominent Roman generals/politicians started their careers at 14 to 16, I'm not sure what you're reaction is, but the historical precedent is there.

I don't know about 5e in particular but most D&D random starting age tables begin at 16 for about this reason.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I hear "child" I think "under 10 years old, or maybe under 12". "Teenager" is a very different thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

Maybe they RP'd a Kender?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Child heroes are an enormously popular trope in all fiction, let alone fantasy, and this weird new thread groove where actually that's bad is not a good take.

Like if someone makes playing a child at the table weird, that's on them and maybe you, not the concept.

Yup, and lets you also access some interesting backstories, like maybe your village had all the adults drafted to fight the King's war and you were pressed into the militia to help out and that's why you're a fighter while also grappling with the sudden onset of responsibilities you weren't ready for.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I'm gonna say that the concept is fine but I've also never seen it implemented without being creepy and/or annoying. :shrug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Play a warforged. Most of them are technically kids. :haw:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

well yes but also the odds of finding a good child hero in a tabletop game is like the odds of sinking a basket across the atlantic ocean. most players will either be too annoying, be too weird, make a depressing character, or make a bland character that you would forget is a child if they didnt remind you. the dm also needs to be on "bird"(extremely funny and clever play on words) as the wrong tone kills the character concept immediately

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Had a guy that played basically a Damian knock-off as a Warlock, with their Dad being their patron.

Creepy in the good way. Well unless you really, really hate creepy children.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Play a warforged. Most of them are technically kids. :haw:

Yeah my aarakocra is technically like four years old but they have a thirty five year max lifespan so I just play him as an inexperienced adult

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BattleMaster posted:

Dude my age playing a 12 year old girl who's a super smart wizard (I am annoyed just typing this, and yes I realize that is a flaw on my end, but dear god)

This was never about kids playing as kids in D&D, that is cute and I should have probably mentioned it in my over the top vent post.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You made a child character and badabing badaboom, now every instance of actual combat or capture carries awful connotations everyone else has to deal with. Lemme state that I'm fully aware how hypocritical I sound after telling people to 'get over' players and DMs using wacky voices by the way, and I'll probably get over it because the player in question is very normal.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 6, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sounds like basically most anime characters. I don't see the issue here.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was expecting something awful, not just a basic trope. Disappointed!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dude my age playing a 12 year old girl who's a super smart wizard (I am annoyed just typing this, and yes I realize that is a flaw on my end, but dear god)

You made a child character and badabing badaboom, now every instance of actual combat or capture carries awful connotations everyone else has to deal with. Lemme state that I'm fully aware how hypocritical I sound after telling people to 'get over' players and DMs using wacky voices by the way, and I'll probably get over it because the player in question is very normal.

Actually no it's fine and cool to play Oliver but he's got weird plant magic from his dead family and you sound like a massive rear end in a top hat.

Edit: This convo just makes me want to play Cuno but as a wizard.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 6, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm deffo with the "child heroes are potentially cool, but odds are if somebody wants to play one their character won't be"

Given the lack of a mechanical framework for it (i.e. you can't be a small Human), there's really not many "young character" concepts you can't execute with a 16 or 17 year-old character, and a lot of opportunities for awkwardness or upsetting some players at the table that you can avoid (violence being done to children and whatnot).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm deffo with the "child heroes are potentially cool, but odds are if somebody wants to play one their character won't be

Given the lack of a mechanical framework for it (i.e. you can't be a small Human), there's really not many "young character" concepts you can't execute with a 16 or 17 year-old character, and a lot of opportunities for awkwardness or upsetting some players at the table that you can avoid (violence being done to children and whatnot).

Yes, this.

Outside my main group (which won't include child characters in D&D because depicting violence against children is an immediate X from at least other two members and is probably gonna get an X from me too), here's what I'd want to know:

1) What are you expecting to get out of roleplaying a child? What kind of character arc do you want, and what related plot points are you expecting to see?

2) What does the child character do that a young adult character would not do, and what does the child character not do that a young adult character would?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually no it's fine and cool to play Oliver but he's got weird plant magic from his dead family and you sound like a massive rear end in a top hat.

I fully accept this verdict

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought up a homebrew custom background, as a fun imagination exercise for a former city watch character I'm creating. I probably won't use it for an actual character, considering that the amount of times this could be useful are limited and highly DM/campaign dependent, but as an exercise it was interesting.

I'm unsure how to balance it, so I've left some things a bit vague. Thoughts on what parts are too strong, and what parts are too weak, or otherwise need tweaking? I probably erred on the side of too weak.

quote:

City Guard

Skill Proficiencies: Investigation, Insight
Tool Proficiencies: Pick any two from Thieves Tools, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit, Investigation Kit, Healer's Kit.
Equipment: A badge or insignia of your station from your city, a guard cloak from your city, a set of common clothes, an Investigation Kit, and a pouch containing 10 gp.

Investigation Kit
Magnifying glass, small brush, tweezers, 30 ft. coil of measuring tape, 5 small glass specimen vials, chalk, a bottle of black ink, a quill, a small pocket-sized notebook
Gold Cost: 15 gp Weight: 8 lb. Proficiency with this tool gives assistance for Investigation checks related to examining fine details, bodies, or crime scenes.

Feature: Friend on the Force
You know the jargon and life of a city guard well, and can more easily strike up a rapport with fellow guards. Guards are more willing to cooperate with you and answer questions, as long as you or your companions haven’t taken any hostile actions against them or broken any serious laws.

Variant Feature: Bent Copper
You bent a few laws, "confiscated" some evidence, and took bribes in your time, and you more easily recognize officers who are also corrupt. It is easier for you to convince or bribe guards to look the other way for minor misdeeds, as long as you or your companions haven’t taken any hostile actions against them or your actions are not excessively difficult to cover up. Your starting gold is increased by an additional 10 gp.

Specialty
1 Street Patrol
2 Riot Squad
3 Undercover Division
4 Detective Squad
5 Evidence Clerk
6 Coroner
7 Jailer
8 Support Staff

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 6, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Going to play a good old single class thief with a dagger. What are some good, lesser known items I can gently caress around with? I already know about the classics but I figure some of you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have.
Also looking for an efficient way to light stuff on fire with an item.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I played in a one-shot where an adult played a child character that made everyone feel uncomfortable.

They got aged by a ghost.

"What the gently caress, so I'm going to be 21 forever?"

"No, next year you'll be 22. :D"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought up a homebrew custom background, as a fun imagination exercise for a former city watch character I'm creating. I probably won't use it for an actual character, considering that the amount of times this could be useful are limited and highly DM/campaign dependent, but as an exercise it was interesting.

I'm unsure how to balance it, so I've left some things a bit vague. Thoughts on what parts are too strong, and what parts are too weak, or otherwise need tweaking? I probably erred on the side of too weak.

its fine, remember that you can switch proficiencies around in a background to customize freely(albeit with a limited number of features) this is RAW, but nobody ever remembers that rule

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My child-char is a 15-year old warlock named Agnès Mystagogicon-Kaplan. She was arranged-married to a book with a demon trapped in it (long story)

Just recently she defeated the plane's Baba Yaga analogue in single combat when her allies were thrown from a moving house. When her allies found her, they were like "Where's the witch?" and she was like "I'm the witch now."

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Eraflure posted:

Going to play a good old single class thief with a dagger. What are some good, lesser known items I can gently caress around with? I already know about the classics but I figure some of you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have.
Also looking for an efficient way to light stuff on fire with an item.

A flask full of lantern oil will create a flammable puddle of liquid or douse someone in the same. You can probably talk a DM into letting it ignite when shattered to create a mini-firebomb. It would only do 1d10 damage to enemies in the blaze, so isn't particularly strong as an attack option compared to just throwing a dagger at somebody(which gets to use proficiency on attack roll, gets to use Dex bonus and sneak attack), but might be useful to try and create environmental hazards or distractions. Could definitely be useful for a low level burglar rogue with bonus action item use.

When I last played around with a burglar rogue me and the party artificer made a bunch of minor homebrew items I could throw out. Light stickers to slap on an enemy so we could pick them out in a fog cloud. Grappling hooks to pull foes off balance. Shrieker bombs that made a loud noise when activated. This was alongside all the base PHB stuff like caltrops, ball bearings, handcuffs and flashpaper.

It's fun at early levels. All this stuff kind of scales off hard though- and for some godforsaken reason you're officially not allowed to use wands with the feature.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

pog boyfriend posted:

its fine, remember that you can switch proficiencies around in a background to customize freely(albeit with a limited number of features) this is RAW, but nobody ever remembers that rule

I know about that, the option I was planning to use, with only the existing options was:

Soldier -> City Watch Officer
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation -> Investigation, Insight
Tool Proficiencies: One Type of Gaming Set, vehicles (land) -> Thieves' Tools, (not sure what the second one should be. Disguise Kit seems like the closest fit.)
Equipment: An insignia of rank -> City Watch Badge, a trophy taken from a fallen enemy -> A piece torn from the clothes of his father's killer, a set of bone dice or deck of cards -> ???(something else), a set of common clothes, a pouch containing 10 gp.
Feature: Military Rank -> City Secrets

Basically, I'd need to replace almost everything from Soldier. (I'd actually need to replace both Tool Proficiencies from Soldier, because my class would be Rogue, who already get Thieves Tools. But I have no idea what)

(I assume that City Secrets applies to every city of a certain size, not just your home city, because it seems lame enough already even if it applies to all cities. "Oh boy, we can move through cities in half the time, this will be so incredibly useful!")

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(I assume that City Secrets applies to every city of a certain size, not just your home city, because it seems lame enough already even if it applies to all cities.)

Yeah I'd check with your DM before you start playing just for clarification. In my last game, the DM kind of ruled that rustic hospitality from the folk hero background wouldn't work in the city we were in since they wouldn't know who I was, which kind of makes sense? But goes against how the feature is written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My 20ish year old Goliath is technically a child since he never completed his trial of adult.

but no i do not play him as a child

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 6, 2020