Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blue On Blue posted:

Do it

Post videos

Modify the exhaust

Part of me realizes a GT4’s suspension would be a really awful way to sit in traffic on days I decide to drive it to work.

The other part doesn’t want to spend that much money on a car from 2016 and not have CarPlay. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If it's going to be a car you're going to (part time) daily and sit in traffic with, the 718 4 cylinder with the added grunt lower in the rev range makes even more sense.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

If it's going to be a car you're going to (part time) daily and sit in traffic with, the 718 4 cylinder with the added grunt lower in the rev range makes even more sense.

Yeah but

Russian Bear posted:

emotional needs require the 6 cylinder exhaust note

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Russian Bear posted:

Ahhh ok, then yeah a 718 S for sake of trying something "new". The 4 cylinder gets poo poo on, but if your emotional needs don't require the 6 cylinder exhaust note, then there are deals to be had I'm sure.

The 718 is objectively better, but the purchase of a mid-engined two seater is an emotional purchase, not a rational one. 2017 718's are already selling for less than 2016 981's.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The other consideration is if you want to mess around with tuning, the turbo 4 is the obvious choice.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Acquired my dream car. 2014 Cayman S. gently caress a turbo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^ GahDAMN that's a good looking car. And I know it sounds great too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Scionix posted:

hell yeah you did it brother!

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Im gonna be honest, I thought my Miata's electric steering was good, but if you put me in the 2014 and the 2008 cayman back to back idk if I'd be able to tell you which one was which.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Scionix posted:

Awesome dude, congrats! I should have never sold mine. You’re going to love it.

Scionix posted:

Im gonna be honest, I thought my Miata's electric steering was good, but if you put me in the 2014 and the 2008 cayman back to back idk if I'd be able to tell you which one was which.

I dunno man, my 987’s steering feels noticeably more connected, direct, and transmits road feel better than the 981.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Scionix posted:

Congrats!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scionix posted:

Sup fellow dream car goon. Did you get a corona deal?

Edit: Man those wheels look so good on a black car.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 31, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice! Living the dream man, congrats.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I dunno man, my 987’s steering feels noticeably more connected, direct, and transmits road feel better than the 981.
Agreed; the difference is pretty noticeable. I'm still buying a GTS 4.0 when I get the chance though...

book
Nov 29, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

The solution is obviously a 4.5L flat six :v:

https://demanmotorsport.com/4-5l-cayman/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Scionix posted:

I was out on a bike ride this morning and my buddy and I got passed by a Cayman. When we stopped, we both agreed that the Cayman is the best looking modern Porsche. Small, smooth, styled, it just WORKS.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hell yeah you did it brother!

Test drove a base model 2014 Cayman a couple years ago and boy-howdy that thing rips.

Also, for my birthday I used Turo and finally got to take a 911 out for an extended spin and it ruled.
My WRX suddenly doesn't feel like an adequate boxer :(

(please ignore the convertible-hair and extremely pasty legs, three months of quarantine will do that)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Part of me realizes a GT4’s suspension would be a really awful way to sit in traffic on days I decide to drive it to work.

The other part doesn’t want to spend that much money on a car from 2016 and not have CarPlay. :colbert:

Stop rationalizing. GT4's suspension is perfect for the daily drive occasionally. Also what kind of heathen listens to music in a car that has windows down and a NA soundtrack of high rev and delightful tonage?

This is my parking lot at work a couple years ago, Red GT3 guy has since traded it for a Black GT3 a year newer but GT4 girl keeps the GT4. I can do everything remote so stopped going in to work altogether a couple years ago. So clearly perfect for the LA commute??

I've since had the front license plate removed from my poverty-spec winter beater here since it's horrible, but the PO didn't get asked before they drilled it on.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ether Frenzy posted:

the PO didn't get asked before they drilled it on.

Had a dealer do that on my Challenger Scat Pack, drilled through holes after being told not to and drilled them at an angle so the plate for not straight. I mean we know dealers are incompetent but having someone drill into a brand new car without even measuring properly is pretty :psyduck:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stop rationalizing. GT4's suspension is perfect for the daily drive occasionally. Also what kind of heathen listens to music in a car that has windows down and a NA soundtrack of high rev and delightful tonage?

This is my parking lot at work a couple years ago, Red GT3 guy has since traded it for a Black GT3 a year newer but GT4 girl keeps the GT4. I can do everything remote so stopped going in to work altogether a couple years ago. So clearly perfect for the LA commute??

Unfortunately some of us live in the frozen north east. And I’m surprised too: when I was 15, I thought I would be driving a 240sx with 20k in mods thrown in because why would I care about the interior at all? To be fair, I haven’t driven a GT4, but everything I hear tells me that the suspension is pretty crushing for everyday driving.

Currently sitting in the waiting room of the local Indy who is doing the PPI on my Spyder. I think I’m already regretting the sale. :sigh:

I’ve also recently realized that AMG GT Ses have come down in price a ton. And my wife likes the way they look. And I’ve always wanted a car that makes it obvious I’m compensating for a small penis. :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

someone who daily drives the car

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve also recently realized that AMG GT Ses have come down in price a ton. And my wife likes the way they look. And I’ve always wanted a car that makes it obvious I’m compensating for a small penis. :ohdear:

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooood like this. It looks badass on that merc.

BrainDamage
Aug 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

As long as the GT4 you're looking at comes with a PCM 3.0 head unit, you can retrofit Carplay pretty affordably ($300-400). Look up NMAutomotive or JoyAuto kits.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Unfortunately some of us live in the frozen north east

Deary me that's a sad situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

someone who daily drives the car

Daily driving in SoCal means you can have the windows down every day of the year. Heated seats if it gets below 60!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BrainDamage posted:

As long as the GT4 you're looking at comes with a PCM 3.0 head unit, you can retrofit Carplay pretty affordably ($300-400). Look up NMAutomotive or JoyAuto kits.

I've seen those, but I've wondered how janky the solution ends up being.

Russian Bear posted:

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooood like this. It looks badass on that merc.

Yup. Hopefully with some of that legendary Mercedes reliability!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Daily driving in SoCal means you can have the windows down every day of the year. Heated seats if it gets below 60!!

:argh:

Btw, the PPI on my Spyder came back pretty much perfect. Looks like it's going/selling, and I am without a fun car. :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Any car is fun if you play a Wierd Al cd in it.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ether Frenzy posted:

SoCal is really the best. I think I left the top down on my Solstice GXP for 6 months straight

RE I really think you'll regret selling the Spyder. I still miss my Cayman and it's been 6 years. No joke, why don't you offer the buyer some $$ to cancel?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

SoCal is really the best. I think I left the top down on my Solstice GXP for 6 months straight

RE I really think you'll regret selling the Spyder. I still miss my Cayman and it's been 6 years. No joke, why don't you offer the buyer some $$ to cancel?

Eh, a few reasons I guess.

1. I only have room for 1 "fun" car, and my wife doesn't love the Spyder. It's definitely noisy on the inside, the weather is an issue here, and I'd like to have something that she'd be excited about taking for a weekend getaway. She liked the Cayman, and if I can drive a car for a year and essentially break even on it (maybe even come out a bit ahead), that makes sense.
2. Since I only have room for 1 fun car, why not experience something new? Maybe I'll regret it, but hey, it's only a car.
3. It's white. I'm so sick of white. I should have held out for blue.

I've been in a deep dive on AMG GT Ss for the past few days, although the one I would want (Blue/Red/Maybe Silver, 2017 with at least a little warranty left/maybe even CPO) is finding to be a challenge to find. I think I may just sit on some cash until a deal comes along, maybe on an AMG, maybe on something else.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 5, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

1. I only have room for 1 "fun" car, and my wife doesn't love the Spyder. It's definitely noisy on the inside, the weather is an issue here, and I'd like to have something that she'd be excited about taking for a weekend getaway. She liked the Cayman, and if I can drive a car for a year and essentially break even on it (maybe even come out a bit ahead), that makes sense.

That's a man that wants to stay married.

quote:

I've been in a deep dive on AMG GT Ss for the past few days, although the one I would want (Blue/Red/Maybe Silver, 2017 with at least a little warranty left/maybe even CPO) is finding to be a challenge to find. I think I may just sit on some cash until a deal comes along, maybe on an AMG, maybe on something else.

And that's a fantastic marriage compromise. I really liked your Spyder, but and AMG GT with CPO would tick every possible box other than "convertible." Doooo eeeeet. (after you find eeeeet)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The AMG GT is a super nice car but I can't get over the ultra-long hood.

The real option should be to get a 4.0 GTS :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

long hoods are good!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

long hoods are good!

Agreed :hmmyes:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

That's a man that wants to stay married.

And that's a fantastic marriage compromise. I really liked your Spyder, but and AMG GT with CPO would tick every possible box other than "convertible." Doooo eeeeet. (after you find eeeeet)

At least one that needs a bigger garage.

RoyalScion posted:

The AMG GT is a super nice car but I can't get over the ultra-long hood.

The real option should be to get a 4.0 GTS :colbert:

I just love how different the AMG GT looks and most importantly, the sound of that engine. I do have my name/deposit down for a GTS 4.0. I think it’d be Carmine red, gold wheels, 6-speed. We’ll see how that plays out/if I chicken out on a new car. I think I have to get it fast because my wife just started talking about “trying” for a kid. :ohdear:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 6, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I think I have to get it fast because my wife just started talking about “trying” for a kid. :ohdear:

Goon scared shitless at the thought of sex, news at eleven. i keed, i keed

I play in the somewhat lower leagues compared to some people here (that's not a knock on you guys, it's just the way it is), and I'm actually very tempted to at least go look at this:

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/porsche_924_turbo/89719911

Google translate is being a bitch, but the highlights are Porsche 924 Turbo 1979, paint touched up after minor repairs in a few places, the gearbox is not the original dogleg, basic maintenance (timing belt, oils, filters etc) and inspection done recently. About 10k USD eqv.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 6, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Happy wife happy life! FWIW I was in the same spot with my husband - he did not like the Cayman at all because of the ride quality & noise

Nice! Didn't know the 924 came with a turbo. The 924/944/968 have always been my secret car crush. You should do eeeeet...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Race on sunday, wash on monday.

Just got it back from the detailer and it's so SHINY :whatup:

Last year I had the windshield replaced and the body shop ignored my instruction and the giant window placard to not wash it and they put a ton of swirls into the finish. They did at least agree to cover a good portion of the cost to redo the ceramic coat so that's a minor win. Now that's back to looking better than new.

Re: 924. That looks like a great example from a quick glance, is the naca duct on the hood factory?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's the nicest one I've seen in years, although to be fair I haven't seen one in years.. probably well over 10. The easiest way to tell a Turbo is the NACA duct on the hood.

Ninja: Had to look at my local listings, no turbo but found this minty looking one NA with a whopping 28K KMs :eek:

Best guess from the ad, senior that's had it for years.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1981-porsche-924/1504031191

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

At least one that needs a bigger garage.

I just love how different the AMG GT looks and most importantly, the sound of that engine. I do have my name/deposit down for a GTS 4.0. I think it’d be Carmine red, gold wheels, 6-speed. We’ll see how that plays out/if I chicken out on a new car. I think I have to get it fast because my wife just started talking about “trying” for a kid. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

This is how I end up as the guy in that “owned” meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Just finished my second oil change on my 991.1. Not quite as nerve-racking as the first time around, but who in their right mind goes.
“I know, after you’ve added the new oil, we’ll make you run the engine for 15 minutes before you get an indication whether you’ve overfilled and ruined your engine, or underfilled, and ruined your engine! Genius!”