Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What do people think of the 1822 kickstarter that AAG is running right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll just add that the thread doesn't recommend Gloomhaven because it's a thread meme - it's quite a good game and it justifies the price.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mellifluous posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for puzzle games or (non-social) deduction games? So far, I've enjoyed Ricochet Robots, Cryptid, and Dimension. Any recommendations for games that are more like competitive puzzles than highly interactive strategy games?

Treasure Island, Tragedy Looper and Zendo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CommonShore posted:

I'll just add that the thread doesn't recommend Gloomhaven because it's a thread meme - it's quite a good game and it justifies the price.
With the usual caveat that if you don't like administration or you've got new boardgamers who aren't up for a bit of a learning curve, you might have some trouble.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Fellis posted:

To get the meme out of the way: Have you looked at Gloomhaven? I didn’t really read your list of likes/buying patterns, but it seems that Gloomhaven checks all the boxes.

Did think about it. Wife wasn't too keen - given that fact and its putative timesink status it's behind a few other options for now. Maybe not quite apples for apples, but I prefer the look of Mage Knight for something heavy and time consuming that I could play with or without her.

quote:

Serious now, I noticed your lists are missing a key boardgame genre, Trains. I have some entry level train games for consideration, with some loose complexity/depth grouping:

Ticket to Ride: Europe: A classic intro game for sure, a good one for the kids.
TransAmerica: Another simple game, pretty low price, but shallower than TTR.

Paris Connection: A simple game but very good, has some conceptual building blocks for other train games where you don't own a rail line, simply invest in it alongside other players
Mini Rails: Also small, quick one with the basic concepts of not owning a specific railroad and creating shared incentives with other players

Irish Gauge: A very interesting game of shared incentive railroads and auctions, with a slight touch of rng to keep you on your toes. Really nice graphical design
Chicago Express: Similar to Irish Gauge, but no random elements. Much more cutthroat because of it and some other small but impactful changes

The above are not really two player games, although they all work at 3-4 and are pretty simple. For a better 2-player and a roll and write, try Railroad Ink

E: Ok this post might be a little tongue in cheek (with trains being a genre), but trains are life, and the main theme of the deep end of the hobby. Definitely buy Spirit Island though, that game is amazing for two player. So much content with just the base game, and so high quality too.

e2: cleaning up this phone post, yeesh

Great suggestion. Trains are cool and I like the idea of boardgaming with that theme. I've not played Ticket to Ride but my daughter does have TTR: My First Journey (the Europe one). That's really the only train game I've played, so I'll definitely take a look at some of the more grown up recommendations you've made. I'm also aware of 18xx but that's not currently on or near the radar.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Kemet is outstanding and what makes it great is that it is fast and pure murder and mayhem with lots of room for strategy. Because there is so much destruction going on it's tough for care-bears and sensitive types to take things personally and get misty-eyed when their poo poo gets wrecked by a giant scorpion. The reprint looks... questionable. Expensive and gimmicky. Unsure what the status on normal copies of the game of the other expansions is but I'd be shocked if they were difficult to track down.

How is the current edition of Kemet without Ta-Seti? It looks like the Kickstarter new edition folds the expansion in, which makes the high price slightly more bearable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

What do people think of the 1822 kickstarter that AAG is running right now?

I really wanted it (1822 is my favorite 18xx, noting the base game is pretty long and the game itself is focused on the operations), but couldn't budget it. Fortunately my Game Brain friends have gotten me a copy. The KS is a big graphic upgrade from the existing one and I think it's cheaper (considering it comes with all the expansions) as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a moratorium on ordering/backing any new 18xxes, though I'm still thinking about ordering 1882 as an exception because the designer is semi-local to me.

Are there any major differences between 22 and 22MX besides the map?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm waiting for 1817/USA to get a kickstarter. 18USA is the bomb.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm normally absolutely thrilled to throw money at publishers I like (i.e. Matagot) when they give some TLC to refreshing and blinging out a game I love (i.e. Kemet) but man, they make some odd choices when it comes to refreshing their games sometimes.

There is not one thing about the new version of Kemet that is unreservedly an improvement that doesn't come with some bullshit that detracts from it. I went from 'yeah, would totally love a blinged out version' to 'maybe I'll just get an upgrade pack?' to 'gently caress that noise' depressingly quickly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Panzeh posted:

1817 won't get a kickstarter, since it was produced in the same batch as 18Ches, at least not any time soon. AAG still has a bunch available to buy right this second, and I can tell you that given the components of 18Ches, it's going to be really good quality.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The End posted:

There is not one thing about the new version of Kemet that is unreservedly an improvement that doesn't come with some bullshit that detracts from it. I went from 'yeah, would totally love a blinged out version' to 'maybe I'll just get an upgrade pack?' to 'gently caress that noise' depressingly quickly.

To be fair to them, they’ve listened to the community and changed everything so far. The Sphinx, Cthulhu expansion, black and white tiles, etc all got changed. I might have missed something though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What I'd love in a blingy Kemet is creatures that have spaces for your soldiers to ride on them. BIG SCORPION VROOOM.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Panzeh posted:

What's special about 18USA? 1817 would be a no-brainer if it wasn't $200 USD :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The End posted:

I'm normally absolutely thrilled to throw money at publishers I like (i.e. Matagot) when they give some TLC to refreshing and blinging out a game I love (i.e. Kemet) but man, they make some odd choices when it comes to refreshing their games sometimes.

Dare I ask?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair to them, they’ve listened to the community and changed everything so far. The Sphinx, Cthulhu expansion, black and white tiles, etc all got changed. I might have missed something though.

That's good to hear. It was a shitshow last time I looked. I'll have to have another look. Prior to this, Matagot was a publisher I could instabuy, but this campaign... yeech

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah they have been SUPER responsive to feedback even if most isn't fair, so I don't fault them for the campaign.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CommonShore posted:

I know it's good, but it is a meme to recommend the game no matter what! Looking for interactive multiplayer dudes on a map with traitor elements? GLOOMHAVEN

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Great suggestion. Trains are cool and I like the idea of boardgaming with that theme. I've not played Ticket to Ride but my daughter does have TTR: My First Journey (the Europe one). That's really the only train game I've played, so I'll definitely take a look at some of the more grown up recommendations you've made. I'm also aware of 18xx but that's not currently on or near the radar.

I'd go with Paris Connection and Irish Gauge/Chicago Express, with the latter choice being whatever looks good to you. That's a good mix of games and should be pretty reasonably priced. No worries on the 18xx, it took me 12 years of the hobby before I picked one up, but then they dominated my interest. At least it's easier than ever to try them out with the online implementations. Even just 5 years ago or so you really had to know someone or had picked up one of the flash in the pan reprints on a whim.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FulsomFrank posted:

What's special about 18USA? 1817 would be a no-brainer if it wasn't $200 USD :(

18USA has randomized privates, offmaps, and subsidies for certain cities, as well as a more open map, usually. Otherwise it is almost 100% 1817.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm glad Matagot is so responsive to feedback, from the sphinx redesign to the Cthulhu redesign, to even small things like changing their weird translation for the new power tiles ("Strategic Hold On" will now be just "Strategic Hold").

That said, I still canceled my KS pledge and don't regret it. The new pyramids are objectively worse than the giant d4s, the map with the ports looks uglier and harder to parse--I honestly don't see anything about the new version (aside from possibly some power tile tweaks?) that looks like an improvement over the original w/Ta Seti, which I already own.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fellis posted:

I know it's good, but it is a meme to recommend the game no matter what! Looking for interactive multiplayer dudes on a map with traitor elements? GLOOMHAVEN

Uh it's got dudes on map tiles, interactive and multiplayer (obvs), and if a character has a particular battle goal he may tell you to get hosed while he goes to accomplish it, I don't understand the joke here???

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

Matagot are not a publisher I like, and have not been since they started charging above RRP at Spiel. I expect to pay RRP, especially to smaller publishers, but I won't tolerate greed of that kind.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for all the puzzle and deduction suggestions! I think I'll put Zendo on my list, and I also discovered Sleuth, which seems up my alley. Tragedy Looper and Psychic Pizza Deliverers also sound interesting with one player running the game, but the latter in particular seems difficult to obtain (I'm in Canada), but maybe I just don't know where to look.

I've been looking for a (reasonably-priced) copy of Tigris & Euphrates for a while, and I finally found a local seller, so I'll be getting it soon. Any tips for a total beginner?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Building a monument means those tiles aren't in the kingdom for wars anymore.

The rules specifically tell you this, but make sure to diversify what colors you're getting.

Catastrophe tiles are amazing for separating a leader from their kingdom.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mellifluous posted:

Thanks for all the puzzle and deduction suggestions! I think I'll put Zendo on my list, and I also discovered Sleuth, which seems up my alley. Tragedy Looper and Psychic Pizza Deliverers also sound interesting with one player running the game, but the latter in particular seems difficult to obtain (I'm in Canada), but maybe I just don't know where to look.

I've been looking for a (reasonably-priced) copy of Tigris & Euphrates for a while, and I finally found a local seller, so I'll be getting it soon. Any tips for a total beginner?

Psychic Pizza will have to be imported from JP. They sometimes have it on Amazon.jp, but often you'll have to look at Surugaya or other sites and use a forwarder or proxy to obtain it. If you're interested in getting other imports from JP it's worth the effort, but maybe not for a one-time purchase.

I've personally been paying more attention to Tokyo game market instead of Spiel/GenCon the last couple years. JP versions of games also often come in a much smaller box instead of the unnecessarily large US/EU counterparts.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Did think about it. Wife wasn't too keen - given that fact and its putative timesink status it's behind a few other options for now. Maybe not quite apples for apples, but I prefer the look of Mage Knight for something heavy and time consuming that I could play with or without her.
Mage Knight is a much better solo game imo (I would never play Gloomhaven solo).

Gloomhaven has less rules overhead (especially for the players who don't do all the admin/bookkeeping). I find myself checking little exceptions or specific rules in MK more often.

Mage Knight has WAY faster setup. Gloomhaven feels like a chore sometimes.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CommonShore posted:

I have a moratorium on ordering/backing any new 18xxes, though I'm still thinking about ordering 1882 as an exception because the designer is semi-local to me.

Are there any major differences between 22 and 22MX besides the map?

22's map is strange. It's pretty lopsided as some companies are S-tier (LBSR aka Lobster, L&YR) and some are miserable (Caledonian, SeWeR), but auctions and the minors help balance it out.

MX has:

-more balanced companies that all have benefits/drawbacks, but nothing overtuned like LNWR (10% presidency AND the dit is just cruel)
-destinations are still good but definitely toned down
-build cube mechanic (spend tempo instead of money for terrain), which can really change how track is built each game
-NdeM (instead of exporting trains/minors they get used by this National company, anyone with shares can lay track for them (or usually as a building buddy for your real company), can triple/quad/etc. jump, goes away with 7/E trains and it's stations can be bought in auctions by your companies with E trains(hopefully!))

22MRS is superior to base 22 IMO, but 22MX is really good. Haven't played 22CA yet.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's not exactly boardgame related, but BGG is deleting RSP, "religion, sex, and politics". Not moderating, not hiding, literally deleting it wholesale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

It's not exactly boardgame related, but BGG is deleting RSP, "religion, sex, and politics". Not moderating, not hiding, literally deleting it wholesale.

The stated reason being that it's become a cesspit of racism, sexism and homophobia because of the light touch moderation and they don't want the trouble of making it fully moderated. I agree at least with the former part.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Other than, perhaps, the word become. Yeah.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's sort of sad to see anyone build a community and then abdicate the responsibility inherent in community-building.

If boardgamegeek doesn't want to be a platform for hate then maybe it's incumbent on the community-builder to actually perform (or delegate, I suppose) the responsibility of assigning and executing consequences for disincentivised behavior? Similarly, positive consequences for incentivised behavior might go a long way having people actually, you know, do those things. You know, like in a board games focused community you might actually find some way to reward those who talk about board games and grow and share the love of the hobby! Come to think of it, just like in games...what matters isn't the absolute value of incentives or maluses, but relative between them in a given circumstance. If you don't care about the punishment, there's no reason not to do the crime, but if the benefit of not doing the crime is high enough relative to the risk of the punishment, well, some people might have second thoughts.

Funny thing, here, I might be talking about game design or I might be talking about world politics, and given that that last paragraph could easily apply to any scaling thereof I have to wonder where this systems-focused bunch in the board games thread is gonna take that.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
BGG and Tom Vasel and the likes are more interested in the absence of tension than in anything else.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Ignoring that a thing exists doesn't make it go away. The mere idea that I am capable of surreptitiously slipping myself an extra sheep is enough to enact consequences for getting caught doing it, be they legislated (in a rule book) or social.

We can all go in there and make trouble by the letter of the law, challenging any and sundry to defend their precious views on how Pandemic isn't a single-player game or that Catan is a much better and more complete game than they think, and while we might get smacked for it all that does is raise overall tension. Conflict is a Thing That Happens, and that's okay (last I checked we all like games, don't we?), but allowing anyone who sees your own conflict-shaped loophole to run rampant and use (and control!) the community you built to espouse hatred... Well, we're all pretty good at self-deception, aren't we?

(I'd have to be to think these essays are worth typing, hahaha!)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Casnorf posted:

Ignoring that a thing exists doesn't make it go away.

It does if you're not the party suffering when it happens. Which is why BGG's moderation still sucks rear end. As long as you're polite you can be a racist sexist asswipe.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Crackbone posted:

It does if you're not the party suffering when it happens. Which is why BGG's moderation still sucks rear end. As long as you're polite you can be a racist sexist asswipe.

Brevity is not my strongest talent, but thank you for rephrasing what I said so succinctly and why I think what they've done is a bad idea.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
MLK once observed that a real threat to justice in society was people who, when it came right down to it, preferred order or lack of tension over truth and right.

The internet is 90% a never-ending parade of stupid and I can't fault someone for not wanting to going toe to toe with it, but you have to do something in the right direction, because youre setting an example whether you know it or not.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's a board game site. It' s not somethingawful, or reddit. If they want to focus more on board games then more power to them. As a straight cis black woman I don't need them to allow more toxicity to be expressed in a hobby that I love.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think sa should tighten up their forums, and refocus on our reason d'rtre, discussing the front page.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

They're making an insidiously lovely statement by saying all commentary on a given subject is equally worthy of being deleted. And this is assuming you can trust the moderators who have been letting things slide up to this point to be able to equally enforce these rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The very fact that you feel the need to state your bonafides when sharing your opinion means you've bought into the idealogy that is trying to control how you think. As though somehow the idea that you'd like some, any, corner of the world to be free of hatred requires that you yourself be hated first.

Would it surprise you to learn that what you want is entirely compatible with what I've been talking about? Methodology is certainly something fun to argue about, but I'm not clear how to talk about the board game Watergate or Crusader Kings or Twilight Struggle or even perhaps Liberty Or Death without acknowledging the lessons and parallels we can learn and observe between the actuality of history and what is happening here, now. If you were to participate in a large-format version of the seminal Avalon Hill war game Advanced Civilization, could you entirely ignore the historical and contemporary context under which that game was played?