Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SHVPS4DETH posted:

lol if you think it's in a free-fall now wait a few months

Yeah. December 2020 is going to be when the stock market and real estate market run red with blood.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So, how do y'all like it: the bad news first, then the good news, or the other way around?

Just slap it on the table, anticipation's worse than knowing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

fukken looooooool restaurants are triple doomed, I seriously gotta push my side-hustles and think of an industry to leap to, there will be no money to be made for years and years to come

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Notices just went out: we have a confirmed covid 19 exposure at my place of business. They are time stamped for three hours after we first reopened our doors.

Pretty sure we are well and truly hosed now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mithross posted:

Notices just went out: we have a confirmed covid 19 exposure at my place of business. They are time stamped for three hours after we first reopened our doors.

Pretty sure we are well and truly hosed now.

3 restaurants around me just issued similar notices. :(

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

how the hell is any restaurant going to stay open for more than a week when they keep getting pinged for hot zones

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Black August posted:

how the hell is any restaurant going to stay open for more than a week when they keep getting pinged for hot zones

Especially since the people who are rushing out to restaurants the moment they reopen are probably the people who haven't been super careful about avoiding other vectors for transmission.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeeeeaah, so that's what made my post about "good news or bad news?" a bit moot. It's just all bad news.

Thought I had a job lined up, but even if it happens, turns out it's not gonna be until July. That was supposed to be the good news, but eh, such is my lovely life.

Bad news is I'm getting kicked out of my place as of July 3rd, because I can't get unemployment and thus can't pay anything in rent, not even a pittance to appease them. I'm not on any kind of lease, because of a sublet situation, and the lease-haver is, as it turns out, batshit crazy. I was looking to get out of here anyways (see aforementioned batshit-ness), but not with less than 30 days notice, in a pandemic, with no industry jobs to speak of.

I'm prepared to live out of my car, but I don't know how I'm gonna keep my cat, and now I gotta stop crying and keep packing up my poo poo and god I'm just so loving tired

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Yeeeeaah, so that's what made my post about "good news or bad news?" a bit moot. It's just all bad news.

Thought I had a job lined up, but even if it happens, turns out it's not gonna be until July. That was supposed to be the good news, but eh, such is my lovely life.

Bad news is I'm getting kicked out of my place as of July 3rd, because I can't get unemployment and thus can't pay anything in rent, not even a pittance to appease them. I'm not on any kind of lease, because of a sublet situation, and the lease-haver is, as it turns out, batshit crazy. I was looking to get out of here anyways (see aforementioned batshit-ness), but not with less than 30 days notice, in a pandemic, with no industry jobs to speak of.

I'm prepared to live out of my car, but I don't know how I'm gonna keep my cat, and now I gotta stop crying and keep packing up my poo poo and god I'm just so loving tired

I'm really sorry. I mostly lurk here but if you have a paypal I'd be happy to chip in a bit to help you weather the storm.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It might not be much but anyone looking for ways to get help please consider contacting your local https://iww.org/ branch and/or sign up online - they're waving dues for anyone unemployed/struggling. The union can help support you, give you resources, even help find you a job.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm sorry to hear that. I found this link a while ago - there were other relief funds besides the big one that went around this thread. Hopefully it helps.

Maybe some of them are still available? https://www.restaurantworkerscf.org/news/2020/3/15/resources-for-restaurants-and-workers-coping-with-the-covid-19-emergency

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

I'd bet a nearby goon would care for your cat until your situation improves. I'd offer but I'm not in your neck of the woods.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm really sorry. I mostly lurk here but if you have a paypal I'd be happy to chip in a bit to help you weather the storm.

Seconded.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TheParadigm posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. I found this link a while ago - there were other relief funds besides the big one that went around this thread. Hopefully it helps.

Maybe some of them are still available? https://www.restaurantworkerscf.org/news/2020/3/15/resources-for-restaurants-and-workers-coping-with-the-covid-19-emergency

Thanks for this link, I really appreciate someone doing a little legwork like this because I'm a hot mess right now and can barely think straight. Right now it's been a cycle of pack some stuff, cry a bit, hug my cat, take a break to look at funny forums posts, fruitlessly check Craigslist for jobs, cry some more, go back to packing. Rinse, lather, repeat.

To the folks offering to help monetarily, you'll probably see a PM from me soon. I hate hate hate asking for help, but at this point I gotta suck it up and say it's not just for me, it's for my Smolkat.

If you like hosed-up weird rear end electronic music and want to help, click the link in my av text. Another goon helpfully pointed out yesterday that if you pick $4.20 as the price you want to pay, it puts a tree emoticon next to the price. That made me smile long enough to get some more poo poo done.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If anyone lives near Plymouth MA, I'm opening a Fudge/chocolate/ice cream shop in August.

I mostly need seasonal teenage help, but I also need a few managers. Contact me here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hit me up for that monetary help.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
I'm very much behind on posts in this thread (400+) so I apologize for posting without being caught up, but... I'm all over the place, so if this post isn't the most coherent, my apologies. In essence, I believe my restaurant, which re-opened two-ish weeks ago for dine-in service, is robbing me blind. The owners are keeping all of my tips, and I'm essentially a salaried employee. (This was absolutely in no way made clear to me prior to returning to work.) I have a much longer version of this story I'm more than happy to share at a not-to-distant later date.

I'm posting now, though, to ask those of you who are FOH and have returned to work: have your tip-out procedures/ structures changed this dramatically? I'm all for redistributing a greater percentage of my tips given the current situation, but I feel like what's happening to me is profoundly illegal.

Thanks

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Yeah that's not legal. The biggest issue is that they can't let you accept gratuities and then not give them to you. If it says 'tip' or 'gratuity' on the receipt, it is your money.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah that's not legal. The biggest issue is that they can't let you accept gratuities and then not give them to you. If it says 'tip' or 'gratuity' on the receipt, it is your money.

How’s that play with places that deduct 2.7~3% for processing fees?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

The Bandit posted:

That part is legal depending on the state you're in. The idea is the server is a contractor and just paying for the resources provided.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Salaried meaning you're no longer paid by the hour, and if you work less than x hours you're still paid as if x hours were worked?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
If you have reason to believe your contract as a worker is being compromised, please DM m for resources. I am not a lawyer but have access to multiple aid streams. Stay safe.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Thanks for this link, I really appreciate someone doing a little legwork like this because I'm a hot mess right now and can barely think straight. Right now it's been a cycle of pack some stuff, cry a bit, hug my cat, take a break to look at funny forums posts, fruitlessly check Craigslist for jobs, cry some more, go back to packing. Rinse, lather, repeat.

To the folks offering to help monetarily, you'll probably see a PM from me soon. I hate hate hate asking for help, but at this point I gotta suck it up and say it's not just for me, it's for my Smolkat.

If you like hosed-up weird rear end electronic music and want to help, click the link in my av text. Another goon helpfully pointed out yesterday that if you pick $4.20 as the price you want to pay, it puts a tree emoticon next to the price. That made me smile long enough to get some more poo poo done.

I'm a long time lurker, but send me a PM so I can donate a little to chip in.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Bandit posted:

Here's the legal difference: management can disburse any kind of service charge, anyway they want. They can keep all of corkage for example. They are allowed to pool tips; but they must disburse it ONLY to the tipped employees. So there are things and ways to "steal tips" without tripping the law. They usually are just breaking the law though.

-edit- i have the NRA Human resources textbook somewhere around here; I should be able to look up almost any tipping scenario possible and I allegedly passed a college course on it at one point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Here's the legal difference: management can disburse any kind of service charge, anyway they want. They can keep all of corkage for example. They are allowed to pool tips; but they must disburse it ONLY to the tipped employees. So there are things and ways to "steal tips" without tripping the law. They usually are just breaking the law though.

I think it varies wildly state by state, but I don't think theirs any states where the people who own the restaurant can pocket any of the tips.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Skwirl posted:

I think it varies wildly state by state, but I don't think theirs any states where the people who own the restaurant can pocket any of the tips.

Banquets can do whatever the hell they want.

By me, 22% service charge, 11% goes to the house.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Quabzor posted:

Yeah a service charge is legally very different from a gratuity or tip. Usually that '11% to the house' would go to the banquet manager to supplement their income. I'm not agreeing with the practice, just explaining.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah a service charge is legally very different from a gratuity or tip. Usually that '11% to the house' would go to the banquet manager to supplement their income. I'm not agreeing with the practice, just explaining.

I get it. It IS legal because they dont call it a gratuity. It just shouldn't be. Similarly, our old room service runners used to get the 3$ delivery charge that goes on every order along with 15% gratuity. Now the house takes the delivery charge and the runner gets 18% I think. .

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quabzor posted:

Again, it varies wildly state by state, but I was only talking about what restaurants are legally allowed to do. Often what restaurants are legally allowed to do and what they do are completely separate things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I always tip 0% through grubhub/doordash's online thing, then leave a note with cash on the doorstep because those platforms "don't" steal tips, they just deduct an amount equal to the tips drivers receive from their pay.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

they just deduct an amount equal to the tips drivers receive from their pay.

wait, what the gently caress?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hauki posted:

wait, what the gently caress?

The little I have read is that the delivery companies don’t actually pay a wage. They just guarantee a minimum of earnings (from tips). So until your tips in an hour surpasses that threshold, doesn’t really matter what the tip is.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

I always tip 0% through grubhub/doordash's online thing, then leave a note with cash on the doorstep because those platforms "don't" steal tips, they just deduct an amount equal to the tips drivers receive from their pay.

poo poo, why didn't I think of that. I mean I've only used them like 3 times, plus the company is lovely so... I can just go pick up food.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Orvin posted:

The little I have read is that the delivery companies don’t actually pay a wage. They just guarantee a minimum of earnings (from tips). So until your tips in an hour surpasses that threshold, doesn’t really matter what the tip is.

I don't think that's true any more https://help.doordash.com/dashers/s/article/How-is-Dasher-pay-calculated?language=en_US

It's still bullshit though, that these companies like doordash and uber are 'innovating' by skirting around employment law to avoid taxation and providing benefits to their workers.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

poo poo, why didn't I think of that. I mean I've only used them like 3 times, plus the company is lovely so... I can just go pick up food.

yeah, I've used it like once or twice when I had a gift card or a coupon or something & really didn't want to go out

I tip pretty well on the app, but hadn't heard anything about that before

I don't usually carry much cash anymore, but maybe I'll do that next time

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The only thing I ever use cash for these days is tipping deliveries.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Tunicate posted:

This is no longer true, at least for doordash. I am not fully versed on the new pay structure, but I do know that the amount of your tip is now listed on the job before the driver decides if they want to take it or not, and that their pay structure theoretically no longer takes tips into account. So be warned this strategy may begin to backfire.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't think tips should be a thing, but where it has to be I really don't see why the owners should get any of it. Sharing it with the cooks and stuff seems reasonable. I guess it gets complicated in establishments where the owner also works front of house or the cook is a part owner though...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

droll posted:

I don't think that's true any more https://help.doordash.com/dashers/s/article/How-is-Dasher-pay-calculated?language=en_US

It's still bullshit though, that these companies like doordash and uber are 'innovating' by skirting around employment law to avoid taxation and providing benefits to their workers.

Shows you how with the times I am. I at least think what I posted used to be true. Good to know it isn’t true any more. I haven’t ever used one of those app services. Living in the suburbs, I just call in my order and drive to the restaurant my self.

Something about using a company that is hemorrhaging money, skirting established laws, and hurting restaurants seems like a bad idea when I have the option not too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thotsky posted:

I don't think tips should be a thing, but where it has to be I really don't see why the owners should get any of it. Sharing it with the cooks and stuff seems reasonable. I guess it gets complicated in establishments where the owner also works front of house or the cook is a part owner though...

It should absolutely never go to the owners ever in part or in whole and I'm almost positive that's illegal pretty much everywhere.

As a matter of etiquette as a customer you aren't even supposed to leave a tip if you're being served by the owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Where I currently work even supervisors are not allowed to receive tips. The chefs don't mind as the customers are aware of this and buy them (and me, this year) pretty nice Christmas gifts.