Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The original had the AI not cheat itself to infinite money, which it could feel like at times, but rather it sold things at x10 the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
GDI Grenadiers are some OP poo poo, holy hell. They just wreck face in any mission with limited Nod units. The GDI units feel so much better it's ridiculous. Nod's supposed to have some kind of clever/speed thing, but it doesn't mean much because so many missions require you to assault an entrenched GDI position.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

you can quickly knock out the harvesters with rocket bikes, then when the AI sends all its units after the bikes you can lead them back to your base and fry them with obelisks.

Unless they've changed the AI, you just need one bike. Because recon bikes are flagged as squishable (though I've never actually seen it happen) the harvester will try to squish the bike, and it will never stop trying to that until the bike is dead. So you just shoot the harvester once and drive home to your defenses, and the harvester will (slowly) drive over to get killed along with all the units trying to defend it.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Unlocked the dinosaur missions after thinking about it for a few seconds and how you accessed the Ant missions on the counterstrike disc.

On the main Tiberian Dawn menu click the four nuts/bolts in each corner surrounding all the menu options. I was holding shift, dunno if you need to do hold it too.

Forgot the annoyance of harvesters getting stuck when two of them try to cross the same bridge. Having to micromanage them as neither of them will blink first and yield.

Realised I still fear the hum of the TD Obelisk charging up!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Man, I wish I had seen this thread back in April. I would have been posting in it non-stop.

I am so happy with this remaster. It's all the Nostalgia coming back, in a good way. I loved the modern version of the installation screen.

There is so much about this game that is coming back to me. It was unique in that the game taught me so much stuff, but more things were only learnt in the tips pages of gaming magazines. Like how the GDI Commando mission skipped mission 7 if you blew up the Nod Airfield.

Or how you could make Mammoth Tanks shoot anti infantry missiles if you told them to move before attacking. (This tip was key to completing one of the Covert Ops missions where you start with tons of units split across the map, and a bunch of rocket infantry will blow up two mammoth tanks because they normally just sit still and fire their cannons at the infantry.)

The trick with sandbags I learnt myself. (That you could cheese it and extend sandbags across the map to let you build structures anywhere. Or how the AI didn't use to recognize Sandbags as a target, so if you built them on bridges or across the enemy walls, you would prevent the AI from being able to attack you.)

There was also an amazing trick with silos, that I'll have to see if it works in this. (Basically when your silos got full of tibirium, if you built a new one it split the load between them. Then if you sold the old silo, the game would convert the excess silo tiberium into cash which there was no limit to how much you could have.)

Man I'm so pumped to be playing this.

Also thanks to the thread about how to unlock the Dino missions. While I knew how to do the Ant Missions, back in the day the tips for how to unlock the dino missions were unknown. The only way we knew how to do it was with a DOS prompt to start the game in a special mode. I never knew that there was a specific button code to press.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games >Command & Conquer Remastered Collection | I'm going to the one place that EA hasn't Remastered....SPACE!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah, if you’re gonna use this strategy you do need to go into turtle mode a little bit; make sure your base is well-defended!

On the other hand, if you use Orcas it cheese the AI and they don't retaliate. But you need like 6-7 orcas to one-shot pop a harvester.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
One thing I've found interesting that went completely over my head as a kid is how apocalyptic the world is. A Nod mission just casually drops how 1/3 people in GDI areas has health issues due to Tiberium and people are worried it might damage DNA. I know TibSun went full apocalypse but I never saw how TibDawn laid the foundations in the way it did.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

THE BAR posted:

The original had the AI not cheat itself to infinite money, which it could feel like at times, but rather it sold things at x10 the cost.

Nostalgamus posted:

Unless they've changed the AI, you just need one bike. Because recon bikes are flagged as squishable (though I've never actually seen it happen) the harvester will try to squish the bike, and it will never stop trying to that until the bike is dead. So you just shoot the harvester once and drive home to your defenses, and the harvester will (slowly) drive over to get killed along with all the units trying to defend it.

Alkydere posted:

On the other hand, if you use Orcas it cheese the AI and they don't retaliate. But you need like 6-7 orcas to one-shot pop a harvester.

...wow, I never knew any of these things. I swear I’m going to figure out how to crush a bike someday lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FrickenMoron posted:

So in the GDI Mission with Agent Delphi, are you supposed to get a Transport Helicopter? I wiped out NOD and the agent spawned but I have no way to transport him off the cliff. Can't build one either.

So far after getting orcas the winning strat for GDI seems to be turtle, wall off with sandbags and build 8 orca pads and just take out SAM sites 1 by 1 until you get to the construction yard.

Just had this issue and if you're still having the problem: blow the wall open on the right side of the NOD base and walk over to the cliff by Delphi. That will make the chopper spawn.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Loving the hell out of this. Red Alert was the first game I played in the series but I remember picking up TD for cheap and consistently getting my rear end handed to me by the AI. It's still giving me a hard time but I'm loving it. Also super jazzed they finally included skirmish mode for TD, it was the one thing I was always so mad the game didn't have when I was a kid.

Really hoping this means we get TS/RA2 remasters now.

Oh and, a guy at the Washington Post has really bad opinions about this remaster
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/command-conquer-remastered-sometimes-nostalgia-is-better-left-past/

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My nostalgia conveniently forgot how bad the AI and pathfinding of your own units are, that's some really 1995 poo poo right there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GDI 8a can suck my rear end. AI rebuilt their refinery and airstrip. Unless they got a con yard hidden way in the corner or some poo poo this sucks.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

GDI 8a can suck my rear end. AI rebuilt their refinery and airstrip. Unless they got a con yard hidden way in the corner or some poo poo this sucks.

They do.
Mission map and trigger explanation from Spookydonut's LP:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22096
Full LP located here, but requires archives:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

An APC with engineers lets you grab the contruction yard pretty easily, since the AI keeps most of its unit where they are produced.

If it's any consolation, GDI 8b is a lot more annoying:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22127
See those civilians in the bottom left? You lose the map if they die. Oh, and they will wander around in the nearby tiberium and get themselves killed unless you wall them in ASAP.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Desperately need a mod that makes NOD's tank inexplicably look like a Bradley IFV.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay I've started work on a new teardown LP, time to sort through the source code and figure out exactly how some of the previously mysterious options work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I loaded up the Fun Park missions.
That opening cut scene, they really didn't clean it up at all, did they?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

They do.
Mission map and trigger explanation from Spookydonut's LP:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22096
Full LP located here, but requires archives:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

An APC with engineers lets you grab the contruction yard pretty easily, since the AI keeps most of its unit where they are produced.

If it's any consolation, GDI 8b is a lot more annoying:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22127
See those civilians in the bottom left? You lose the map if they die. Oh, and they will wander around in the nearby tiberium and get themselves killed unless you wall them in ASAP.

Well poo poo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Game is actually...good?

e: Also I've only been playing on old graphics. Too much nostalgia.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the GDI campaign. The final mission was absolute hell (I picked Sarajevo Center) It seems once you take the first base the enemy gets a massive spike in funding and activates the nuke superweapon. Since I had to rely on mammoth tanks only (orcas were too expensive in the long run) I had to wait for the ion cannon each time for a push cause it insta kills an Obelisk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordja posted:

Desperately need a mod that makes NOD's tank inexplicably look like a Bradley IFV.

I dunno, giving it portholes for infantry to shoot out of AND a rocket launcher would make it pretty OP.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The intro being just like the original installer is so delightful. What a nice touch that just gave a wave of nostalgia

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got a pretty good chuckle out of the sound card configuration being obsolete.

And also a little bit triggered.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Finished the GDI campaign. The final mission was absolute hell (I picked Sarajevo Center) It seems once you take the first base the enemy gets a massive spike in funding and activates the nuke superweapon. Since I had to rely on mammoth tanks only (orcas were too expensive in the long run) I had to wait for the ion cannon each time for a push cause it insta kills an Obelisk.

That achievement makes me so happy. Back in the day, that's how I finished off the final GDI mission.
Now I can do it again, only be rewarded for it!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im glad you can spectate MP games, im shouting at people to harass harvesters with scout bikes as nod nonstop.

Edit: is there fog of war in C&C1 multiplayer or is it open map always?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2020

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

nod campaign hard as gently caress, I'm on mission 6 or 7 and I don't understand how I'm supposed to micro to beat the AI

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm having an issue grabbing maps from the workshop for RA. I hit subscribe, the map seemingly downloads somewhere... and nothing. Not available in the user maps folder or anything. Am I missing something?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mordja posted:

In Renegade X one of the bonus crate vehicles is the Bradley IFV version of the light tank. No idea if that could also happen in the actual Renegade.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Game is actually...good?

e: Also I've only been playing on old graphics. Too much nostalgia.

This remaster is kind of fascinating to me because the new graphics are quite good, but unlike Starcraft where the 2D art is a straight upgrade IMO, C&C is closer to pixel art, esp. the soldiers and the tiberium, and the new art turns it into a different style.

Feels like this release had some real care put into it and after the last decade it's honestly just nice to see the franchise treated with respect.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It has begun: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926664

Also who would pick Sarajevo Center/Bottom when top left is the easiest.

If you are struggling on a mission post in the new LP and I'll deconstruct those missions first.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Spookydonut posted:

It has begun: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926664

Also who would pick Sarajevo Center/Bottom when top left is the easiest.

If you are struggling on a mission post in the new LP and I'll deconstruct those missions first.

I picked center since the last time I played this was probably around 1997. It was a struggle but I won anyways.

Also who is the insane person who is going for the gold medal (hard victory) on all 81 maps in TD? Theres a cheevo for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly not terribly impressed with this so far. The actual gameplay graphics look nice but the FMVs somehow look worse. I know they didn't have much to work with, but now it looks like everything is wrapped in cellophane. They should have given the option to keep the scanlines from the originals.

Gameplay wise, I'm frustrated by the lack of modern RTS amenities. They added some things, like production queuing, but other things like rally points and attack-move are conspicuously absent. Not having those things at the time was OK because we didn't know any better, but it's not very fun 25 years later.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Horizon Burning posted:

One thing I've found interesting that went completely over my head as a kid is how apocalyptic the world is. A Nod mission just casually drops how 1/3 people in GDI areas has health issues due to Tiberium and people are worried it might damage DNA. I know TibSun went full apocalypse but I never saw how TibDawn laid the foundations in the way it did.

Carter gets pretty sick over the course of the pre-mission briefings while Shepards is 'away on civvie duty' And then he's just gone, presumably dead after trying to sail down the river far too early for me to be ready and blow up the turrets.

There is the almost throwaway CGI cutscene with the bodybags in the alleyway and a burning building saying that a few million have already died from tiberium poisoning, then later on Mobius is talking about how risky it is, only a few missions hafter spruiking it on the talk show.

Shits bad, then it goes grimdark levels in Tiberian Sun, which had the best atmosphere of any of the C&C games.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly not terribly impressed with this so far. The actual gameplay graphics look nice but the FMVs somehow look worse. I know they didn't have much to work with, but now it looks like everything is wrapped in cellophane. They should have given the option to keep the scanlines from the originals.

Gameplay wise, I'm frustrated by the lack of modern RTS amenities. They added some things, like production queuing, but other things like rally points and attack-move are conspicuously absent. Not having those things at the time was OK because we didn't know any better, but it's not very fun 25 years later.

Real tough guy!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fister Roboto posted:

They should have given the option to keep the scanlines from the originals.
The originals DOS versions didn't have scanlines but delicious chunky VGA pixels! Scanlines were for the windows 95 versions of C&C and RA1 (the latter of which was bundled with DOS RA from the get go, admittedly).

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You're fooling yourself, the original cutscenes look much worse than nearly all of the AI rescaled ones. Won't disagree that there are times when it makes a mess of the image. Orca introduction CGI cutscene, yikes.

I was surprised how little they throw you into the game with. The tiberium explanation happens way later and you don't really get a lot about Kane.

Wouldn't have hurt to have significantly improved pathfinding. You couldn't give it to the campaign AI but I don't think having units understand bridges, harvesters work out the closest tiberium and units figure out the correct way to go around cliffs/handle traffic jams would have been sacrilege. You just spend time telling them not to do stupid things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People already started working on fixing the harvester AI before the game came out. I expect we'll probably see a lot of overhaul mods start popping up within the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if the devs have a plan to allow mods in multiplayer at some point.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carecat posted:

I was surprised how little they throw you into the game with. The tiberium explanation happens way later and you don't really get a lot about Kane.
One thing that I didn't remember is some TV reports get a voiceover by Kane on the Nod side that shed some more light, it's the GDI side that's got precious little information to go on.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think the answer to this is no, but is there anything in the Remaster that is new story wise? Like does the bonus gallery have anything on that front?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If I know the steam workshop, 90% of the mods will be for turning tanks into anime girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fallom posted:

Not sure if the devs have a plan to allow mods in multiplayer at some point.
Currently the idea is that they'll be allowed in LAN when that's in, and assumedly CNCNet could be made to hook into the remasters.