Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

FredMSloniker posted:

I think it'd be best to stay away from Rimworld. For one thing, it's not exactly a super-casual game. For another, he has... well, there's a lot going on in his life, and he's not incredibly emotionally stable. Any suggestions for more of a chill vibe?
Just to echo other recommendations: Animal Crossing is like the most chill basically with the significant downside of only being on switch. Stardew sort of gets that vibe also.

doctorfrog posted:

Shame there ain't more, but I'll check Starsector out. Thanks!

Starsector also has some very easy to use and well supported mods which make the game even cooler. I would definitely recommend checking some of them out, they make it feel a lot more like a living world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I think it'd be best to stay away from Rimworld. For one thing, it's not exactly a super-casual game. For another, he has... well, there's a lot going on in his life, and he's not incredibly emotionally stable. Any suggestions for more of a chill vibe?

On a sort of related note, I myself have been interested in Rimworld, but one of the things that's made me reluctant to pull the trigger is what I've heard of the storytellers, i.e. two of them will just murder you eventually and the third might murder you immediately. Is there a modded storyteller that ramps up the difficulty over time, but doesn't just give you nothing but endgame raids at the high end?

If you feel even slightly interested in Rimworld's premise, just buy it. Whatever faults you then find with it, there's a mod for it, guaranteed. Although as others said for this particular issue you don't even need to mod it anyway.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm looking for an electronic babysitter to keep my high rear end entertained when I inevitably get in too deep with some edibles during my never-ending pandemic lock-in. I'm looking for something light-hearted and comical, visually interesting, and not too complex. Jazz Punk was perfect for this, just a stream of surreal humor and fun-box activities. Any recommendations?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for an electronic babysitter to keep my high rear end entertained when I inevitably get in too deep with some edibles during my never-ending pandemic lock-in. I'm looking for something light-hearted and comical, visually interesting, and not too complex. Jazz Punk was perfect for this, just a stream of surreal humor and fun-box activities. Any recommendations?

Chex Quest HD.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Riatsala posted:

Jazztronauts.

Little Inferno.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FredMSloniker posted:

My brother managed to forget his account information - like, all of it - since the last time he played Sims 3, and he was unable to convince EA's Helpdesktron that he deserved to be able to play his physical discs. No one involved is exactly eager to shoot more money at EA, so we're looking for an alternative. He says his favorite part is having the characters work and interact with each other and stuff, and that the house-building is secondary. What might he like?
"oxygen not included" is a colony simulator where you tell your creatures what to do and they try to. they talk to each other, eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom on their own schedule. interacting with each other is necessary to their happiness. it suffers from the usual survival "HARDCORE" hardcore mode but the gentle mode is a pretty even pace. other than that you research tech, expand your colony, make your creatures happy with toys etc. build and expand, manage happiness.
you don't have the customization options of the sims, but every creature has a distinct personality and their own agency within the confines of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FredMSloniker posted:

My brother managed to forget his account information - like, all of it - since the last time he played Sims 3, and he was unable to convince EA's Helpdesktron that he deserved to be able to play his physical discs. No one involved is exactly eager to shoot more money at EA, so we're looking for an alternative. He says his favorite part is having the characters work and interact with each other and stuff, and that the house-building is secondary. What might he like?

It might be worth giving support another try. Not whatever automated nonsense they've got, but an actual human being. Origin's support staff has a reputation for actually being really, really friendly and generous more often than not. And frankly, given the demographics for the Sims, I doubt it'd be the first time they've heard that story before.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for an open world survival game, something with low or optional plot where your character wanders around scrounging supplies and exploring. I'm picky about control schemes -- I really hate games with slow animations or lovely console ports where mouse control isn't perfectly responsive -- but less so about genre.

I'm looking for a combination of things; something that evokes a feeling of being a scavenging weirdo, a massive game world with strong incentives for exploration and travel, and combat which, which it doesn't necessarily have to be the primary focus of the game, needs to have at least a little depth if it's present.

Here are some things that worked in the past (or didn't):

Loved:
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
Caves of Qud
Far Cry 4
STALKER
Subnautica

Enjoyed with reservations:
Unreal World
Minecraft

Hated:
Bethesda games generally

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

doctorfrog posted:

Shame there ain't more, but I'll check Starsector out. Thanks!

For what it’s worth, Sseth’s review of the game has his cd key in it that you can just use to play the game for free (the dev approves of it)

https://youtu.be/acqpulP1hLo

at 17:20

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for an open world survival game, something with low or optional plot where your character wanders around scrounging supplies and exploring. I'm picky about control schemes -- I really hate games with slow animations or lovely console ports where mouse control isn't perfectly responsive -- but less so about genre.

I'm looking for a combination of things; something that evokes a feeling of being a scavenging weirdo, a massive game world with strong incentives for exploration and travel, and combat which, which it doesn't necessarily have to be the primary focus of the game, needs to have at least a little depth if it's present.

Loved:
Caves of Qud
Far Cry 4
STALKER
Subnautica

Unreal World
Minecraft

Hated:
Bethesda games generally

Dying Light

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Loved:
Caves of Qud
Far Cry 4
STALKER
Subnautica

Unreal World
Minecraft

Hated:
Bethesda games generally

You might like Neo Scavenger. It is essentially a Flash game but it’s more or less a scavenging game with roguelike elements.(permadeath, most of the game is procedurally generated, etc.)

It hits most of your points and there’s a good amount of depth to the combat, which in general is both optional and very risky. The random events are also a breath of fresh air as many if not most of the “heroic” choices you’d get in other games are highly likely to backfire spectacularly and/or get you killed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hwurmp posted:

Dying Light

Got this; it seems like Far Cry 4: With Zombies and Weapon Degradation. I'm not thrilled about the latter but I can work with it, and the movement system is fantastic.

Genpei Turtle posted:

You might like Neo Scavenger. It is essentially a Flash game but it’s more or less a scavenging game with roguelike elements.(permadeath, most of the game is procedurally generated, etc.)

I've tried it a few times and it never really took.

Thanks, though; these are definitely on point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Got this; it seems like Far Cry 4: With Zombies and Weapon Degradation. I'm not thrilled about the latter but I can definitely work with it.

I did better sticking with throwables, ranged weapons, and the almighty drop-kick until fairly late in the game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've tried it a few times and it never really took.

Thanks, though; these are definitely on point.

Fair enough; it’s definitely an acquired taste.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Kenshi though, which also hits just all your points. It’s janky as hell but set in an enormous weird world where to progress you have to scavenge stuff from ancient ruins all over the place. Combat is mostly automated but there’s a lot of depth to it and I find it really satisfying. There’s no set goal to the game other than what you make for yourself but if it sucks you in you’ll easily pour hundreds of hours into it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

knob posted:

For what it’s worth, Sseth’s review of the game has his cd key in it that you can just use to play the game for free (the dev approves of it)

https://youtu.be/acqpulP1hLo

at 17:20

Oh, and here I was kinda hoping for a free demo. Thanks!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
RPGs with a strong sense of world-progression and player-action consequences?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jon Joe posted:

Alpha Protocol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alpha Protocol

Unfortunately someone finally bought the 13th copy on Steam and they ran out of keys to give out. No longer available on PC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

what the entire gently caress

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apparently the music license expired, so they've stopped selling it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The music rights expired a year ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jon Joe posted:

Pyre

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Tyranny

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Rewatching LOST during lockdown and wondering if there’s any games that feel like LOST, that sort of “exploring an abandoned place while things progressively get weirder and more mysterious.” With a focus on the exploration, not action. I know there’s obvious stuff like MYST, but what else? Also, there was an official LOST video game back in the day, does anyone know if it is available to download for PC anywhere anymore?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Rewatching LOST during lockdown and wondering if there’s any games that feel like LOST, that sort of “exploring an abandoned place while things progressively get weirder and more mysterious.” With a focus on the exploration, not action. I know there’s obvious stuff like MYST, but what else? Also, there was an official LOST video game back in the day, does anyone know if it is available to download for PC anywhere anymore?

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture might be exactly what you want.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Subnautica's premise has quite a lot in common with Lost. There is some combat, but it's almost entirely optional with the focus on exploration and investigation.

You start the game in an escape pod in the middle of a vast ocean, with the shipwreck some distance away. No clue as to why or how the spaceship crashed. Eventually you discover traces of other survivors and... other things.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 7, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For some reason I'm thinking that The Forest reminds me of LOST in some way. There are definitely things trying to kill you though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Stanley Parable, MYST spinoff "Uru"

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

SOMA (a bit in the horror genre with some peek-a-boo monsters to hide from)

Obduction (Myst's grandchild)

Pathologic and Pathologic 2 (although the first had some annoying mechanics and rather should be watched than played by yourself)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's Rituals, which honestly I wouldn't say is all that great, but if you get a certain ending it does a cool thing to the title screen after.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Everyone else stole my recommendations but I'll throw in Outer Wilds.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Conrad_Birdie posted:

If you like puzzles then both The Witness and The Talos Principle might fit the bill.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

OutofSight posted:

SOMA (a bit in the horror genre with some peek-a-boo monsters to hide from)

Obduction (Myst's grandchild)

Pathologic and Pathologic 2 (although the first had some annoying mechanics and rather should be watched than played by yourself)

Pathologic 2 now has difficulty sliders, which makes the experience more accessible. Which might be against the "spirit" of the game, but who cares?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

Pathologic 2 now has difficulty sliders, which makes the experience more accessible. Which might be against the "spirit" of the game, but who cares?

Oh wow, good to know. I have thrown some money into a few of their kickstarters because I really really appreciate what they are doing/exploring, to be honest I never expected to be able to *play* it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oxenfree could work.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thanks everyone! Awesome recommendations. I’m wishlisting all of them and hopefully some scratch the itch!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've discovered that I like taking notes in games. My biggest two examples are Return of the Obra Dinn (for clues) and Cultist Simulator (to try and make sense and put together the snippets of lore). Any games in the same vein? I'm not interested in mapping a dungeon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I've discovered that I like taking notes in games. My biggest two examples are Return of the Obra Dinn (for clues) and Cultist Simulator (to try and make sense and put together the snippets of lore). Any games in the same vein? I'm not interested in mapping a dungeon.

Sid Meier's Covert Action has you trying to figure out international plots, which at the basic level have few enough details to remember yourself, but quickly the number of people/roles/locations/etc pretty much requires you to have some text file on the side to keep notes on.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fat Samurai posted:

Heaven's Vault has opportunity for note taking. The character takes some notes of her own, but I've been finding it useful to jot down my thoughts on certain symbols as I try to translate the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fat Samurai posted:

Her Story and Telling Lies kind of work.