Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The Trial is a story about the guilt associated with the moral/ethical codes forced onto people by society, and how this morality/ethics doesn't need to be enforced by totalitarianism/bureaucracy, because it is ingrained into us. It presents a totalitarianism of morality. One of the sources of Josef K.'s guilt is his lust, and on the flip side of the coin, his lack of a 'standard' relationship. As mentioned, he is often presented with lust or the opportunity for love. The lawyer's secretary promises to protect him from the court (i.e. his symbolized guilt) if he will enter into a relationship with her. On the flip side, a woman he lusts after is physically removed from his presence by a representative of the court. May not be the best book to read if you are already suffering anxiety from sex/relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not all authors of literature are horny! How appalling that people are searching for non-horny literature based on such a stereotype!

*begins 2666*

*sees Bolano sharing sexual performance stats for characters (that one "can screw for six hours")

Oh...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
2666 also has a scene where three soldiers masturbate to the their commander having sex with a duchess and later when he is killed the display his naked body to the enemy so that they might know that all men of the army are true men who have big dicks like their dead commander

I am also suprised the Europhiles in this forum havent read Peter Nadas

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The guy who doesn't want a horny book should read The Kreutzer Sonata.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
non horny guy should actually read Mishima, because although there is sex in there it has such blatant undertones of death every time that it mostly just makes you feel uneasy and weird, not horny at all (in my experience anyway)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
what kind of weirdo doesnt always think about death when reading about sex

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I always used to do, as a straight, when I didn't want to read about romance, was read Mary Renault, because everyone in her books is gay as hell,

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

2666 also has a scene where three soldiers masturbate to the their commander having sex with a duchess and later when he is killed the display his naked body to the enemy so that they might know that all men of the army are true men who have big dicks like their dead commander

I am also suprised the Europhiles in this forum havent read Peter Nadas

It also has a scene in prison where one guy is annoyed that his two cellmates keep loving/raping each other while he ruminates on how someone could possibly be turned on by a dude so ugly as that. It also has a scene where a woman dying of tuberculosis basically forces the guy she's curled up under the blankets with to gently caress her in the rear end while her family all are sleeping (but not actually sleeping) basically right next to them.

it may seem like there is a lot of sex in 2666 at this point but there is SO MUCH going on in that book that it actually doesn't seem like there is much sex in it overall.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I always used to do, as a straight, when I didn't want to read about romance, was read Mary Renault, because everyone in her books is gay as hell,
This has occured to me before and sadly didn't work. Still, I got some material out of the advice, will hopefully report after I'm done reading some of it.

Regarding Bolano, I actually really liked Nazi Literature in the Americas but then I tried Savage Detectives and, well, didn't make it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 4, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

nut posted:

Does Steinbeck have horny? I read so long ago I dunno

Not really, but you got people who will read horny into the ending of Grapes.

anilEhilated posted:

Good idea, I've only read Cyberiad, Solaris and some of his (rather generic) short stories. I guess he didn't occur to me because of the genre trappings.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I know you're trying to branch out, but if you like genre and want to read more Lem, read Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. It's totalitarian state satire of the highest and funniest caliber.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Is Cormac McCarthy horny? I ask, yet hope I never learn the answer.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

All the Pretty Horses gets a little horny, but sadly not in the way the title implies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quit being a loving child and read some horny literature.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

PeterWeller posted:

All the Pretty Horses gets a little horny, but sadly not in the way the title implies.

Yeah, and even if it was horny in the way you hoped, it’d probably still be his least tragic and grotesque depiction of sex. Maybe besides the part in suttree about the melon fucker. That guy rules.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

read Child of God

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

read Child of God

I've read it, and it's exactly the book I had in my mind. I hate to think that's Cormac being horny because good lord. Not to kink-shame.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I've read it, and it's exactly the book I had in my mind. I hate to think that's Cormac being horny because good lord. Not to kink-shame.

he also wrote the screenplay for The Counselor, which opens with the line (iirc) 'you have the sweetest pussy in Christendom' and has Cameron Diaz loving a car

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Doesn't that one guy in Of Mice and Men have his hand all lotioned up for horny reasons? I seem to remember my teacher in high school saying something like that, but I haven't read the book since then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyways I'm listening to an audiobook of Ovid's Metamorphoses and I'm certain there's going to be no weird horny things whatsoever read to me by an old British man.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So, what's the horniest stuff that is still amazingly well written? I've read Tropic of Cancer and it's good and horny AF. And that one spanking scene in Savage Detectives is really something.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Bear.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Cormac McCarthy is that nihilist chart with all the No's to everything but with a Horny? added in which is also No

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Quit Reading Some Real Literature and gently caress a Bear

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

I lodge "no" here given that any hints of sexuality in his works I've read is directly and unmistakably sublimated into some theme of death and amorality and not pleasant at all. Not like Pynchon or Eco where there are heartfelt scenes of intimacy sidling with all the grand themes almost like humanity breaking through the intellectual clouds

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nitevision posted:

I lodge "no" here given that any hints of sexuality in his works I've read is directly and unmistakably sublimated into some theme of death and amorality and not pleasant at all. Not like Pynchon or Eco where there are heartfelt scenes of intimacy sidling with all the grand themes almost like humanity breaking through the intellectual clouds

Agreed. The only "being" in McCarthy is in the "unto death" sense. Sex only drives that faster and harder, but it can't change the nature of being.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
gimme some of the best literature by black americans

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

derp posted:

Invisible Man - Ralph Waldo Ellison
If Beale Street Could Talk - James Baldwin
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Beloved - Toni Morrison
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

Seems like an impossibly broad request. Anything that can narrow it down?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seems like an impossibly broad request. Anything that can narrow it down?

my favorite authors right now are Sebald, Mishima, Shirley Jackson, are my current favs, and Krasznahorkai is becoming a fav. Something with that sort of dark, unsettling tone is what I'm into.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

derp posted:

I like Giovanni's Room a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with anything by James Baldwin.

I'd also like to find some more recent stuff from black writers, as in from this century. When I think of my favorites they're mostly all 40+ years old. I read part of White Teeth ages ago and liked it but put it down for some reason, so maybe I should finally finish that.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duck Rodgers posted:

Invisible Man - Ralph Waldo Ellison
If Beale Street Could Talk - James Baldwin
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Beloved - Toni Morrison
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

thx i will check these out

also completely unrelated but I just remembered a dream I had last night that I was banned from the forums. wtf is wrong with me.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

derp posted:

my favorite authors right now are Sebald, Mishima, Shirley Jackson, are my current favs, and Krasznahorkai is becoming a fav. Something with that sort of dark, unsettling tone is what I'm into.

The Sellout by Paul Beatty is all of that plus hilarious.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Helen DeWitt's Lightning Rods has a similar theme of "bizarre idea is taken seriously and gets way, way out of hand", so my brain puts it together with The Sellout. Both are great imo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

Dhalgren!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kindred by Octavia Butler.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

absolutely do not skip langston hughes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

idk about his novels but his poetry is good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I miss back when I could name drop him as an obscure pick but dont sleep in Colson Whitehead.

Personally I like The Intuitionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Cane by Jean Toomer