Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

getting mixed messages here

a shameful snype ; aka how most my rounds end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
unless you are far away you basically always want to hose down the other guy with bullets

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man the servers were rear end today. Lost connection a total of 6 times over 2 raids and then died to a very Looper scenario - walking through Shoreline, suddenly I see that my right arm is blacked out. Then I start bleeding. Then I just die.

Made it past a guy running at a fence, constantly. Shot him twice in the head, he just screamed and kept running. poo poo's fucky.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

getting mixed messages here

a shameful snype ; aka how most my rounds end

both single fire and full auto have their place and its working out when to do one or the other but bursts are mostly useless. if youre going full auto though just go full auto burn the entire mag if you have to, the gun will stay on target after the first few rounds

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
I opened the Reserve basement marked room by helicopter plaza (RB-BK?) for the first time and it was comoletely empty? We didn't even see loose bullets on the ground :(

I thought the marked rooms were never empty?

People on reddit are bitching about reduced loot but they bitch about the color of the sun too.

Real glad I got to the high of level 13 and a scav junkbox before they nerfed loot into the ground lol, if they did. I did notice that on patch day, my team played reserve (most of us for basically the second time, it was hard being 9 months into wipe and rolling an aksu and getting domed from dome 13 seconds in by the predator) and the loot was crazy good, so maybe a deserved nerf. Maybe they were worried that the FiR flea needed hella extra loot and found out after the first week, "ah naw."

Or maybe they just wanted to wait for nolife streamers to have level 40 before making it harder for everyone else

Do the marked rooms ever spawn completely empty, or did we miss something/teleporting loot hacks/"aliens.gif"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have had completely empty reserve marked room 3 times, and the one other time I opened it it only contained a single magnet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think that it was confirmed that there is a lot less loose loot overall, so I guess that you just got unlucky? I've seen marked rooms contain just one item, so maybe they can now be empty.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I have had completely empty reserve marked room 3 times, and the one other time I opened it it only contained a single magnet.

Same. First two times I popped a marked room this wipe it was empty. They really need to revamp loot in locked rooms. Doesn't really make sense for loot to disappear if people actually find/take it a lot.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
:allears: I love mosin sniping in this game...

Sight scav!

Adjust for distance!

Dead scav!

Repeat!

Here's another one too. There's just something so fun and satisfying about killing the scav AI and seeing if a player stops by! This... this is how you play tarkov...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did they ever fix the issue with only one specific FOV working? Last I checked anything but minimum made every sight in the game broken.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Did they ever fix the issue with only one specific FOV working? Last I checked anything but minimum made every sight in the game broken.

They didn't fix it. Scopes generally fare better but a good number of them don't work and iron sights are straight trash that don't work 95% of the time.

By don't work I mean look at the screenshot above where the front post isn't even visible, or they fire way low or high, or they fire way of to the left/right.

On my setup, iron sights typically fire ~5-10 degrees under the normal spot regardless of range.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

twig1919 posted:

By don't work I mean look at the screenshot above where the front post isn't even visible,

Toalpaz removes his front sight on Mosins.

Toalpaz posted:

The key to using a mosin is to take off the front sight so you can use the rear sight to reliably zero up to 200 meters out. The closer you are the more you cup their heads in the rear sight, at 150-200 you should be aiming for their scalp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKE4LBVp3Y

Toalpaz posted:

:allears: I love mosin sniping in this game...

Sight scav!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the less loot overall is interesting- i've ran the green room in labs like 25 times now and i've yet to find a ledx, only two defibs and a single intel folder

previously i would have significantly more of each by now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seems unlikely, all the hatchet runners wouldve scooped them up already

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Stux posted:

seems unlikely, all the hatchet runners wouldve scooped them up already

you can stop being mad the change is good and is widely positively received by everyone except old boomers

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

So, what am i supposed to do as a newbie? Right now I am sort of doing scav runs, collecting some stuff and try to get out and sell my loot to get better stuff and level up skills. Am i doing this right? I mean, I can't do poo poo against dudes with full armor on and much better guns can I

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

you can stop being mad the change is good and is widely positively received by everyone except old boomers

your monitor is turned off

v funny to have the loot tuned lower than it was when the plague of hatchet runners were apparently stripping maps dry though lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaaz posted:

So, what am i supposed to do as a newbie? Right now I am sort of doing scav runs, collecting some stuff and try to get out and sell my loot to get better stuff and level up skills. Am i doing this right? I mean, I can't do poo poo against dudes with full armor on and much better guns can I

you can as long as you take good ammo, also its still early so you dont have to worry a huge amount about people running the extremely tough armor

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Stux posted:

your monitor is turned off

v funny to have the loot tuned lower than it was when the plague of hatchet runners were apparently stripping maps dry though lmao

CHANGE IS GOOD AND COOL, you salty and very dumbo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

feel free to actually have the discussion at hand instead of deflecting after showing your stupidity of the concept being discussed

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Klaaz posted:

You can start working on the quests pretty much right away, the first ones involve killing scavs and turning in items so you can do those whatever your gear/level.

Yeah, if you're up against someone fully kitted out you're probably gonna have a bad time, but there are still plenty of higher level players not in the best gear. For instance I'm Level 8 and today took out 2x Level 22 PMCs with a mosin as they weren't running high gear.

At least for me, a good way to make consistent money on the way to Level 10 is to hit up stashes and/or PCs on Interchange. Stashes will give you a good mixture of stuff you can sell and quest/hideout items, whilst the PCs will give you lots of components you can just sell to Therapist for some quick early level cash; this is ideal for scav runs as well. The advantage of doing scav runs on Interchange is that you will always have the two main extracts available to you.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Klaaz posted:

Hatchet run to afford top tier gear

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Klaaz posted:

Honestly, just pick a map like Shoreline, Interchange or Reserve and scav the hell out of it until you learn it. I particularly like night Reserve when I'm solo scavving. I rarely have to fight another player to the death unless we happen upon each other in tunnels.

But it cannot be understated how helpful learning the maps is. Reserve is god's own map and once you have it down you're rarely completely penned in without any options unless someone really gets the drop on you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

twig1919 posted:

They didn't fix it. Scopes generally fare better but a good number of them don't work and iron sights are straight trash that don't work 95% of the time.
Are iron sights good with minimum FOV are are they just pointless entirely?

The amount of goofy, totally undocumented, and never explained gaminess they keep adding to this "realistic" shooter is pretty lame.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The amount of goofy, totally undocumented, and never explained gaminess they keep adding to this "realistic" shooter is pretty lame.

I play at 60 fov and have never noticed any issues with irons FWIW. Occasionally something will shoot slightly low but I literally can't ever remember when that's negatively affected me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not to suck the big streamer's dick too much but if pestily plays on max FoV it can't be that bad

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

IronicDongz posted:

not to suck the big streamer's dick too much but if pestily plays on max FoV it can't be that bad

I think some sights work fine at max FoV and other ones are broken. I don’t remember which ones are affected but there is a list out there somewhere. If you have a laser on your gun and ADS at the same time, you can tell stuff gets misaligned at certain FoV settings.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I play at 65 and it works just fine.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i've always played at max FOV and have never had issues with sights not working 'properly', as long as my understanding of 'properly' is that the weapon never shoots the center of the sight accurately outside of 6-7 weapon setups that is.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I’ve been trying a different tactic for quest items, and it’s working pretty well.

I find nighttime scav raids are relatively safe, and hidden stashes will spawn a lot of the early quest items (plus some valuable ammo I can sell on the flea). I found all my gas analyzers and fuel conditioners over maybe 3-4 scav raids on customs. I think most people right now are going for the bronze pocket watch quest at night, so if you stay away from dorms and construction you can get through relatively easy. Every player I have ran into has been on their way to dorms, or inside construction.

I may just be really lucky, idk

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

i've always played at max FOV and have never had issues with sights not working 'properly', as long as my understanding of 'properly' is that the weapon never shoots the center of the sight accurately outside of 6-7 weapon setups that is.

It's this. You need to test each gun to figure out where the hell it shoots. It's not even a matter of up/down, sometimes the guns shoot off to the side. Its consistent at a specific FOV so you could practice and learn all the gun/sight/ammo combinations but I can't be assed.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

twig1919 posted:

Its consistent at a specific FOV so you could practice and learn all the gun/sight/ammo combinations but I can't be assed.

it's like real life sights, except without the ability to adjust them!

realism is so cool

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Some advice from one garbage player to other garbage players: Jaeger's Cold Blooded is a loving miserable garbage poo poo quest but it also opens up a bunch of other quests, including one that gives you 0.3 Jaeger rep (holy poo poo!!). Here's how I got it done:

1: stack a bunch of PMC kill/Factory quests like:
Skier - Stirrup (3 pistol kills)
Skier - Friend from the West pt 1 (7 USEC kills)
Jaeger - Huntsmen path: secured perimeter (8 kills in Factory office)
Jaeger - Cold blooded (of course)
Maybe something like Prapor - Punisher 5 if you're there (PMC kills w/ scav vest & 6b47 helmet)
Mechanic - Scout (three Factory exits)

2: get a cheap gun for headshots. I ended up just sticking with a P226 - a pistol and two mags of Pst was like $15k max. I tried a Kedr/Klin and they own for Factory but not so much for getting headshots if you can't aim well like me. I found pistols easier to aim for heads with and you only lose $15k a run. Pst is decent and cheap, and 18 round mags mean you can spam some without running out of bullets like with a 1911 or TT.

Note: this is for lovely players like me who can't aim and die a lot. Doing it this way means you can prep like 10 setups (pistol, 2 mags) and just zip through them.

3: get set up for tremor. I found the easiest and cheapest way was by maintaining dehydration. You can let it run out in another raid and go from there, or eat a full jar of mayo or a bunch of Slickers bars. I found the Slickers bars were a great cheap way to maintain 0 hydration if I had to go screw around in my hideout or take care of other chores. I tried all combos of vaseline, ibuprofen, painkillers, propital, etc. I think the most effective way was either painkillers or ibuprofen - I'd keep one stack in my alpha plus an IFAK and/or a propital/Factory key.

As long as your hydration is low (<5 for Ibuprofen, <7 for painkillers) you take one or the other immediately upon getting into raid and hide for 30 seconds or so for the tremor to kick in. WAITING IS CRITICAL! I got two extra headshots that didn't count cause it was too soon. Propital can be nice because it heals you while you lose health from dehydration, but honestly I usually died before it would have mattered, and a heal or two from my IFAK kept me going just fine.

4: get dem headshots. I did most of it this PST morning when it was busy, not sure what best times might be for everyone else.

5: gently caress you Jaeger

edit: two other things to pay attention to: healing after raid doesnt re-hydrate you thank goodness, and sometimes I'd randomly get like +20 hydration when I got in raid. It can be useful to stick a slickers in your secure just in case, and worst case scenario you can take 2-3 painkillers back to back to knock your hydration back down.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 7, 2020

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

idiotsavant posted:

5: gently caress you Jaeger

The most important step.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

everyone except old boomers

This phrase was stupid to begin with but it's lost what little meaning it ever had. It's just embarrassing now.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

ChesterJT posted:

This phrase was stupid to begin with but it's lost what little meaning it ever had. It's just embarrassing now.

ok boomer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Do people like to pick on Arabian Dicks or has he really said anything outrageous that isn’t a simple game design disagreement

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm a little confused how this game is supposed to work...

PMC - You have to escape the city by going to a way point while completing missions. If you die you lose all your gear.

SCAV - You are lightly armed dude randomly spawned in the map with other supporting SCAVs AI or Players. PMC AI are running around trying to escape or complete missions. If you die you don't lose anything but don't keep any gear you found.

Am I getting this right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gabriel S. posted:

PMC - You have to escape the city by going to a way point while completing missions. If you die you lose all your gear.

SCAV - You are lightly armed dude randomly spawned in the map with other supporting SCAVs AI or Players. PMC AI are running around trying to escape or complete missions. If you die you don't lose anything but don't keep any gear you found.

Am I getting this right?

Nah not quite. PMC you and other player PMCs spawn at the start of a fresh raid which contains AI scavs at the start and eventually also player scavs. you can insure gear and if no one else leaves with it you get it back tomorrow. Also things in your butt you keep.

SCAV you spawn late into a raid created by PMC players, there are no AI PMCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Gabriel S. posted:

Am I getting this right?

You're basically right for PMCs but you've got a few things wrong about Scav mode.

First off all PMCs are players.

In Scav mode you get to keep all loot you extract with (including the gear you spawn with) but you earn no experience points. Always check your inventory on Scav spawn because sometimes you can spawn with some decent goodies - I had a game earlier today where I spawned with 40,000 rubles in my pocket which was great since I was dead broke. I made a beeline straight for extract and was 40,000 rubles richer with a free SA58 to boot.

In theory all Scavs are on the same side, but in practice most player Scavs will shoot you on sight. If you want to signal you're friendly wiggle with Q and E but be ready to eat lead regardless. If you kill another Scav AI Scavs will turn hostile, by the way. There's no penalty for being a traitor to the Scav cause other than having more people shooting you.