Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games that successfully use an engine that was intended for another genre?

A positive example would be The Talos Principle. It takes the hopping, sprinting FPS protagonist model and puts them in in a 3D puzzle game about reflecting lasers.

A negative example would be the last few Bioware games made on the Frostbite engine. It turns out not easy to make open-world RPGs with branching-paths on an engine intended for linear FPS's full of spectacle intended to wow the promo people.

It's kind of the same genre, but the engine that The Witcher (the first one) is built on is an very heavily modified version of the Aurora Engine, the same engine that Neverwinter Nights uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Engines can be pretty flexible, and adapted to a lot of things.
The issues with Bioware getting pushed into Frostbite isn't -just- that it's 'only a FPS' engine, but rather that basically all the Frostbite developers + support staff were focused on supporting and developing for the various high-profile-yearly-release titles, like the shooters.
Meaning that they were thrown onto a new engine which they had to learn, with minimal support, and a need to jury-rig in mechanics and features the hard way, instead of having them neatly developed as part of the engine.

It's entirely possible it would have been a far better release had they had a squad of dedicated Frostbite devs to lean on to adapt the engine.
Instead EA kept doing as EA did, and leaning on 'Bioware Magic' to make it all come together towards the end, as they did again with Anthem.

In the deep dig article about 'Holy poo poo why was Anthem so troubled.' ages ago dug a bit into it.
EA forcing a lot of studios into using Frostbite, while ignoring that they'd require significant development help is one of those typical 'executive decisions by someone who doesn't know anything about actual development.' decisions, with understandably lovely results.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

flatluigi posted:

which is also what starfox64 is based on and is why there's an arwing in oot's files

There's actually several possible arguments about why the Arwing's there as an enemy. It's definitely there deliberately, but nobody's entirely sure if it's there to test Z-targeting, to test Volvagia's movement patterns (it has Volvagia's movement patterns, but it's a chicken-and-egg question for which one came first), an an easter egg that never came to fruition, or even just as a developer in-joke.

The fact all those games are running the same engine does mean that you can semi-successfully load a save state from one in all the others, which is neat. The funniest part of that is that Starfox will actually run if you do that, because they load most of a stage's assets into the system's RAM.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Infiniminer by Zachtronics was an inspiration for Minecraft. It had first-person view with mining and building.

Later they made Infinifactory that was based on that, but was actually an assembly line puzzle game like SpaceChem and still one of their best games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kennel posted:

Infiniminer by Zachtronics was an inspiration for Minecraft. It had first-person view with mining and building.

Later they made Infinifactory that was based on that, but was actually an assembly line puzzle game like SpaceChem and still one of their best games.

It must feel galling to be a close inspiration for a concept that made a billion-dollars for some chud. But it's also comforting since that same chud is now friendless and lives in isolation like a sweaty Citizen Kane.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

The issues with Bioware getting pushed into Frostbite isn't -just- that it's 'only a FPS' engine, but rather that basically all the Frostbite developers + support staff were focused on supporting and developing for the various high-profile-yearly-release titles, like the shooters.
If I remember that article correctly, it wasn't even the shooters, it was all the other excessively profitable titles (especially the sports games) which were assigned all the "help us use this shooter engine for a totally different genre" engine support folks.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah it was FIFA specifically.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It took NFS four games to get passable vehicle physics after the switch to Frostbite. Rivals wasn't bad for arcade-style handling, but it felt the closest to driving a Battlefield APC, then they overcorrected

...which reminds me of a little thing in Underground 3 (aka the reboot): the lighting and sky is entirely location-based, like in Dark Souls 2. There's places that are pitch black and places that are at the break of dawn, it's not realistic as you move between them, but every location is hand-tuned to always look its best. It's a really pretty map, too bad about the undrivable cars.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Monolith has been using the same engine for years. Shadow of War and Mordor are technically running on the same engine that the FEAR games were.

SubNat posted:

Meaning that they were thrown onto a new engine which they had to learn, with minimal support, and a need to jury-rig in mechanics and features the hard way, instead of having them neatly developed as part of the engine.

It's entirely possible it would have been a far better release had they had a squad of dedicated Frostbite devs to lean on to adapt the engine.
Instead EA kept doing as EA did, and leaning on 'Bioware Magic' to make it all come together towards the end, as they did again with Anthem.

In the deep dig article about 'Holy poo poo why was Anthem so troubled.' ages ago dug a bit into it.
EA forcing a lot of studios into using Frostbite, while ignoring that they'd require significant development help is one of those typical 'executive decisions by someone who doesn't know anything about actual development.' decisions, with understandably lovely results.

it was a miracle that inquisition turned out as good as it did honestly.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jun 6, 2020

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Titanfall 2 (not sure about 1) was built on a modified Source engine. That fact that they made that game on Source still blows my mind

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When people say that a game was used with another genre's engine, how often is it actually the case that they are taking a platformer and trying to force it to be an FPS? It could just mean that they already had the physics and scripting standards from the former and didn't want to reinvent the wheel. The same code that pulls the main character to the ground after a jump could be slightly amended to shorted the jump height or add a fall damage thing, and also making Grenades arc, and any spawning code, like Bullet Bill type objects, could be applied to rockets or enemy turrets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

When people say that a game was used with another genre's engine, how often is it actually the case that they are taking a platformer and trying to force it to be an FPS? It could just mean that they already had the physics and scripting standards from the former and didn't want to reinvent the wheel. The same code that pulls the main character to the ground after a jump could be slightly amended to shorted the jump height or add a fall damage thing, and also making Grenades arc, and any spawning code, like Bullet Bill type objects, could be applied to rockets or enemy turrets.

That's not really the same thing though, the engine's still natively what already exists. It's pertinent in cases like Frostbite because an engine that's designed for linear corridor shooters just does not have native functions for things like storing inventory objects, dialogue menus, or tracking sidequests. That all has to be coded from scratch by the dev team, which takes a lot of time and effort cramming square pegs into round holes while another engine could do it all natively and probably be better-known by the development team.

To bring it back to your example, I could change a bouncing ball into a grenade relatively easy, because I just modify the physics value of the ball, give it a lifespan, and have it execute detonate_grenade() at the end of that. Grenade gets thrown, goes boom. Fall damage and jump height are also absolutely going to be existing values that just get tweaked to suite the game at hand. Platformers have enemies, so you're just spawning new creatures with the existing spawner() function with their own behaviours.

But how do I get the player character to talk to a friendly NPC when that platforming game has no dialogue in it or coding for NPC's with passive animation routines that aren't "run at the player and attack"? That's the tricky part.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Titanfall 2 (not sure about 1) was built on a modified Source engine. That fact that they made that game on Source still blows my mind

Everything up to Apex Legends is actually on source.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not really the same thing though, the engine's still natively what already exists. It's pertinent in cases like Frostbite because an engine that's designed for linear corridor shooters just does not have native functions for things like storing inventory objects, dialogue menus, or tracking sidequests. That all has to be coded from scratch by the dev team, which takes a lot of time and effort cramming square pegs into round holes while another engine could do it all natively and probably be better-known by the development team.

Some engines are more flexible than others, I would think. Unity or Unreal can be really malleable and there's tons of documentation out there to make them do what you want. Frostbite I can imagine isn't nearly as good in that regard.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jun 6, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To bring it back to your example, I could change a bouncing ball into a grenade relatively easy, because I just modify the physics value of the ball, give it a lifespan, and have it execute detonate_grenade() at the end of that. Grenade gets thrown, goes boom. Fall damage and jump height are also absolutely going to be existing values that just get tweaked to suite the game at hand. Platformers have enemies, so you're just spawning new creatures with the existing spawner() function with their own behaviours.

But how do I get the player character to talk to a friendly NPC when that platforming game has no dialogue in it or coding for NPC's with passive animation routines that aren't "run at the player and attack"? That's the tricky part.

I was probably thinking of modules rather than whole engines, like multiple engines may use the same gravity math module but interact with it differently.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something like Unreal started out as a rendering engine for first person shooters too, the difference to using Frostbite for Bioware RPGs was that Unreal has been used for a large variety of different games and genres for years, and provided suitable tools for stuff the original shooters didn't have yet, or studios which used it in the past had tools for the engine as well.

With Frostbite it sounds more like EA went "we don't wanna pay Unreal etc. license fees anymore, use this neat looking engine from our Swedish team and make your own drat tools and extensions, BTW your game needs to come out next year". Maybe it wasn't a year, but it was clearly not enough time for the options Frostbite had for non-shooter games at the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd like to see a game where the plot thing is that it was built on an unsuitable engine and so as the game goes on things start to break down as the original forms of the engine start breaking through. Like a lovecraft kind of thing, seeing beyond the veil to code that should never have been or wasn't properly dummied out.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Tron by way of At the Mountains of Madness

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to see a game where the plot thing is that it was built on an unsuitable engine and so as the game goes on things start to break down as the original forms of the engine start breaking through. Like a lovecraft kind of thing, seeing beyond the veil to code that should never have been or wasn't properly dummied out.

There's at least one. The Magic Circle, maybe? It's a cool premise, and I too would like to see it explored more thoroughly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

This is remarkably close to both the Talos Principle (where the weird meta-stuff is kind of a background detail) or the Magic Circle, a game where you play through a game currently under development, with bickering devs and enemies that you can change the properties of on the fly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Magic Circle owns, and is about exactly this concept

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You did it, you listed a obscure game with a novel concept that BioEnchanted didn't know about. He is free from the curse.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
This is actually a fun exercise - what games mixed up genres in a novel way? Like, turning metroid prime and the witness taking side scrolling exploration and puzzlers into first person perspective.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The Magic Circle has voice acting by James Urbaniak which is my favourite thing whenever he does anything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

This is actually a fun exercise - what games mixed up genres in a novel way? Like, turning metroid prime and the witness taking side scrolling exploration and puzzlers into first person perspective.

Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein are both probably noteworthy for starting as platformers and becoming shooters.

The original Dynasty Warriors game was a fighting game.

Kid Icarus went from sidescrolling platformer to 3D shooter/rail shooter

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

bony tony posted:

The Magic Circle owns, and is about exactly this concept

I'd heard the Magic Circle was something of a middle finger to auteur game directors, particularly Ken Levine and the ongoing disasters (at the time) of Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar. This has made me download the demo, so I'll go check it out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

Are we not counting Myst?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are we not counting Myst?

Of course we can - I wasn't trying to say that the witness was the ONLY one that did it, its just the one that came to mind because of the comments in this thread.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has any game ever had a mode which turns all the enemies into morons? As in they're not easy but they are comically dim?

They could take the pin out a grenade and run at you while still holding it, dogpile and crash their cars together, shoot at nothing in particular, or run around making whooping noises.

Some of the Mario Karts had a Blooper item that squirts ink on everyone's screen, and it causes the AI to swerve pretty wildly. They could have made it useless in single player, but it affects them enough that I was actually happy to get one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn uses a heavily modified version of the original Decima engine that Guerrilla developed for Killzone Shadowfall.

Death Stranding so uses the Decima Engine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dash Rendar posted:

Death Stranding so uses the Decima Engine.

I was gonna mention this, I think those two games are high water marks for realistic open world design & implementation, pretty amazing where the groundwork for them came from.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was gonna mention this, I think those two games are high water marks for realistic open world design & implementation, pretty amazing where the groundwork for them came from.

And not just open world games in general but two games where the natural environment played a leading role.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lechtansi posted:

Always remember that perhaps the most important advancement in JRPGs over the last maybe fifteen-ish years was Atlus deciding to combine one with a dating sim. It's probably my favorite 'shouldn't have worked, but it did' moment, because once you think about it you realize what a massive game-changer it was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are we not counting The 7th Guest?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Lechtansi posted:

The old DOS Dune adventure game became a strategy once you talked to enough Fremen that you actually had an army. And of course, Battlezone was a RTS where you were a unit on the battlefield in FPP.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Brütal Legend was sold as a hack and slash action game, but it quickly turned into a strategy game with a third person perspective.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Always remember that perhaps the most important advancement in JRPGs over the last maybe fifteen-ish years was Atlus deciding to combine one with a dating sim. It's probably my favorite 'shouldn't have worked, but it did' moment, because once you think about it you realize what a massive game-changer it was.

atlus did this over 20 years ago with their co-development of thousand arms

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gann Jerrod posted:

Brütal Legend was sold as a hack and slash action game, but it quickly turned into a strategy game with a third person perspective.

Also around that point it totally hosed up the characters in a way I found irredeemable - the main character's treatment of Ophelia was garbage by the endgame, he made her a promise then broke it like three hours later in the most rear end in a top hat way he could.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There was promise in the premise, but the devs whizzed it down their leg.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think Giants: Citizen Kabuto did that first (or something similar anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Probably the most out there example of engine use for me is the fact that Elite: Dangerous, the spaceship sim game, is built on the same cobra engine that powers Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.