Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Thanks, in the end it was really simple: Grey Seer undercoat, then a base coat of Corax white. Paint Apothecary White contrast paint into the recesses and shaded areas, and then highlight in skull white.

In other news it seems a number of big tournaments have said they are going to move to the new, smaller, table sizes. For a 2,000 point game that's 44 x 60 rather than 48 x 72.

Obviously that's a difference of 6 inches on the width and 12 on the length, but the biggest difference is of course on the diagonal, which goes from about 87 inches to 74, which is a difference of 13 inches. (I think, geometry wasn't my strong point in maths).

Obviously helps close combat armies at first, but I think the deployment rules are the same distance from each other as before, so actually what it's doing is creating shallower deployment zones. Which I guess doesn't make it faster to get to someone but does mean you've got less space to hide basilisk or have layers of screening units before whatever it is you're protecting.

Might end up being the biggest impact on the game in 9th other than the mission design.

Are you sure it wasn't addition/subtraction that you were struggling with? 48-44 is 4, not 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanks everyone that's reported. Discord have started sending out e-mails telling us off for mass-reporting (but also replied to like one guy saying that they're looking into it) so we can probably hold off any more for now. Keep slamming Patreon though!

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Tommu posted:

I'm getting a resin printer in a couple weeks so I can finally print some of these dudes

Which one? Is it worth looking at budget ones or is the detail not there

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You can get the Elegoo Mars in the $2-300 range and it produces fantastic prints.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Strelok604 posted:

Which one? Is it worth looking at budget ones or is the detail not there

Phrozen sonic mini. Not sure of the cost in USD but cost me about 600 AUD. Also not sure about cheaper models but a little bit of detective work should give you answers.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/615480770416345088/716007924388069436/IMG_20200529_121829.jpg stuff someone printed on the same machine.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Corrode posted:

Thanks everyone that's reported. Discord have started sending out e-mails telling us off for mass-reporting (but also replied to like one guy saying that they're looking into it) so we can probably hold off any more for now. Keep slamming Patreon though!

Added another report to the pile. Patreon allows you to submit a video link with timestamp if anyone wants to trawl through his garbage and find more than just screenshots

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Tobylongworth/status/1269318432949927938

Also, hear me out, we forget about female Space Marines and go for broke on trans Space Marines/Sisters of Battle? It fits the established lore and it would piss off the bigots even more.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I've always said I think Space Marines should be genderless. Why would the Emperor design them with a gender? They were tools of war made from humans who breed in the normal way. After they are transformed they will never reproduce, probably safer that way.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

That argument always leaves a bad taste in my mouth because chuds use a version of it to justify the current status quo regarding space marines. "Hey they're actually sterile and are really genderless anyways, the fact that they're all predominantly masculine is just a byproduct of the process!"

You never hear these people advocate for faceless, nameless space marines which is the logical conclusion of "why humanize a living weapon at all?" and the answer is because that's boring.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

All the artwork in that WHC post is extremely cool. drat

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'll admit to having not actually read the full lore or anything, but Space Marines aren't all clones, right? They're born from the same geneseed, but that isn't necessarily the same thing. The entire concept of them being exclusively male - when you can't see 99% of the faces - is mad.

I'm glad I play armies that are either green spore monsters or have cybernetically enhanced themselves to the point where the concept of gender is just utterly ridiculous.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can say "this is how marines should have been" until the heat death of the universe but it doesn't change that marines are 100% masculine coded now even if they don't have functional genitalia (to which I say who loving cares?). Wiping that particular slate clean and making them gender-neutral would be a step backward as it relates to being able to identify with your chosen army. More representation, not less.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

EvilHawk posted:

I'll admit to having not actually read the full lore or anything, but Space Marines aren't all clones, right? They're born from the same geneseed, but that isn't necessarily the same thing. The entire concept of them being exclusively male - when you can't see 99% of the faces - is mad.

I'm glad I play armies that are either green spore monsters or have cybernetically enhanced themselves to the point where the concept of gender is just utterly ridiculous.

They usually take a very skilled very young warrior from somewhere and subject them to a shitload of surgery and shove the emperors DNA into them.

The fact that it's a universe filled with fantastic and unrealistic science and magic that somehow can't figure out how to turn women into the same uber-killing machines as men is chudly as gently caress, there's no way you can call this logical unless you're already a chud imo.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kitchner posted:

I've always said I think Space Marines should be genderless. Why would the Emperor design them with a gender? They were tools of war made from humans who breed in the normal way. After they are transformed they will never reproduce, probably safer that way.

Because the Emperor isn't infallible and most likely had some (low-key) gender/sex issues. The reason I liked the gender-specific super soldiers is that, even if the authors didn't intend it, it hints towards the fact that there are inherent flaws within the Imperium and even the Emperor himself that doomed the both to failure. This example is especially poignant since it's an attempt to make something that's more than human being held back by an all too human failing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Geneseed is implanted into recruits, who are chosen based on chapter tradition. The geneseed alters their features, bulks their physique and makes them grow new organs.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
If you want to get technical, gender isn't biological. Gender is societal. Even if they are clones engineered to be sterile and sexless, that doesn't mean they can't have a gender.

A bigger question though: how has humanity existed for 38,000 additional years and they only got two genders?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I spend too much mental energy worrying that this is a conversation that's gone down in GW's offices with advocates and critics for introducing female space marines, and the tipping point for keeping women out is something dumb like "Space Marines call each other battle-brother, so they'd call female space marines battle-sister, but that's a different army and would introduce brand confusion, so let's not."

(But, yeah, they call each other battle-brother and brother-captain and stuff; you can't claim they're genderless. They're strongly gendered as male celibate monks/eunuchs.)

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Serenade posted:

If you want to get technical, gender isn't biological. Gender is societal. Even if they are clones engineered to be sterile and sexless, that doesn't mean they can't have a gender.

A bigger question though: how has humanity existed for 38,000 additional years and they only got two genders?

Binary gender is a relatively recent idea, prior to that there was a widespread idea in europe that there was only one gender.

The victorians hosed everything up as usual.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PinheadSlim posted:

They usually take a very skilled very young warrior from somewhere and subject them to a shitload of surgery and shove the emperors DNA into them.

The fact that it's a universe filled with fantastic and unrealistic science and magic that somehow can't figure out how to turn women into the same uber-killing machines as men is chudly as gently caress, there's no way you can call this logical unless you're already a chud imo.

I don't think there was anything intrinsically wrong with all-male fascist warriors of the dystopian nightmare future but they're basically straight up space heroes now and they also physically changed them in the fluff. So just introduce women as primaris space marines and leave 30k with all men or whatever if it has to be fluffy.

I ackshually think the all male monastic warrior thing is cool and makes sense for this kind of horror setting, but it's a make your own fun poo poo up wargame first and foremost so female marines should be in by default.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Even if the idea was that space marines can only be men because the Imperium is freakish and patriarchal, that's an argument for why there *should* be female chaos marines, because turning women into marines or marines into women is absolutely the kind of poo poo most of the ruinous powers would do if "only men can be marines" is a matter of Imperial doctrine

It doesn't even matter if there was a set-in-stone reason to do with geneseeds or w/e; the entire loving point of magic and what chaos represents is that they render the improbable or impossible possible

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 7, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serenade posted:

Mars would like a word with you.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think at this point a massive retcon that reveals that there've always been women among space marines or that there could have always been women among space marines but nobody tried it because of reasons is kind of a non-starter. There are fifty-four Horus Heresy novels -- the surprise reveal that there were always women just off-camera would be the height of disingenuity, as would positing that none of the Primarchs ever thought of recruiting women during any of the innumerable running plot lines that centered around recruitment shortages, and GW is way too all-in on the Horus Heresy as their lore foundation and bringing elements of it back for the big 40k plot developments to just write all those books off in favor of imagined re-dos that include women in the powered armor. If we could all collectively go back in time and slap someone upside the head and make them have written it so there were women among the space marines all along, that'd be great, but the ship has sailed.

Likewise, Strobe is entirely correct here on the topic of "This doesn't matter because Space Marines are effectively agendered"/"A better solution than women Space Marines would be making them more agendered":

Strobe posted:

You can say "this is how marines should have been" until the heat death of the universe but it doesn't change that marines are 100% masculine coded now even if they don't have functional genitalia (to which I say who loving cares?). Wiping that particular slate clean and making them gender-neutral would be a step backward as it relates to being able to identify with your chosen army. More representation, not less.

But, like, Primaris just came in! "The Primaris geneseed works on women" is so easy a solution.

(Personal admission: I did laugh my head off at that text-to-speech exchange where the newly awakened Emperor goes "You didn't make women space marines, did you?" and the Custodian goes "No sir" and the Emperor goes "Good; girls are yucky.")

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 7, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also the Smolseed now works on women too, and doc thunder is finally canon

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Women Space Marines would be cool as hell, and i'd love to see them, but i'm pretty sure there's precedent for Female CSM from one of the Iron Warriors books where they take a female Guardsperson hostage and is locked in a room with some CSM armor and puts it on and goes full khorne on some Iron Warriors. Sadly i forget which book that is.

If i ever collect a CSM army they're all canonically female using this justification.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've always wanted to make a khorne army where they're all women.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Tommu posted:

I've printed a couple tanks and they look decent once they've been sanded + painted.

I'm getting a resin printer in a couple weeks so I can finally print some of these dudes https://www.patreon.com/themakerscult/posts imperial guard equivs so that I dont need to look at cadian models from the dawn of time.

Worth every penny.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
GW can just have Fabius Bile *finally* after 10000 years try something different, and get female chaos space marines. The forces of chaos now have more troops and are a even GREATER THREAT to the Imperilam. Nothing changes in the universe (Chaos still gets clowned upon every time they look like they might win). It gives female figures to the opposition to match the Sisters too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So I posted earlier about getting an extra Space Marine action figure and saw this in my inbox:

Games Workshop posted:

Dear Honourable Commander (real name removed)

We recently deployed to your location a pre-requisitioned Primaris Intercessor - code name BANDAI

It seems that in our haste to ensure the rapid deployment of your BANDAI Marine, our stock servitors have double shipped your order. G8109862

As much as we would love to say to you ‘Clearly the Emperor's Blessing is upon you, use these additional supplies to vanquish the foes of the Imperium’ - we can’t do that in this instance. As you know these figures were a limited run, and made to order. So the second marine will need to be recalled and redeployed.

Of course we don’t want you to be out of pocket or for this to be a lengthy awkward process (I mean...you’ve already had to read this email) We will arrange how to make this happen for you, just keep an eye out in your inbox for a shipping label from FedEx and details on next steps, coming early next week

We really appreciate your help on this one. If you have any questions please let me know.

Take Care

Do I have any obligation to send it back or whatever? I mean it feels oddly flippant to write something like this ~in universe~ if they're actually serious about it. Checking out the domain the email was sent from too also seems kinda sketchy so I'm getting a heavy feeling this is a scam to be honest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tracula posted:

So I posted earlier about getting an extra Space Marine action figure and saw this in my inbox:

Do I have any obligation to send it back or whatever? I mean it feels oddly flippant to write something like this ~in universe~ if they're actually serious about it. Checking out the domain the email was sent from too also seems kinda sketchy so I'm getting a heavy feeling this is a scam to be honest.

I think you should send back the thing you didn't pay for

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

JBP posted:

I've always wanted to make a khorne army where they're all women.

Nothing but an army of 100 Valkia the Bloody figures

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nothing but an army of 100 Valkia the Bloody figures

Unfortunately. It is a sweet model though.

E: a whole range similar to godsworn hunt and darkoath would rule

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 7, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If they sent it to you by mail it is legally yours and they can't charge you for it or compel you to return it IIRC

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Tracula posted:

Where do you live? If you're in the US, you're probably clear to keep it. Generally if it's sent to you, with your name on the package, it's yours to keep. The worst they could do is decide not to do business with you anymore. Federal law says that if they hosed up and sent stuff specifically to you, they cannot require you to pay for it or give it back.

In the UK, you'd need to return it. While the UK also has unsolicited goods laws, theirs are a little more forgiving to the companies. In this case, it would be an obvious mistake to have sent out two, and they are not required to let you keep it. They're on the hook for the cost of sending it back, but you do need to cooperate.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Improbable Lobster posted:

If they sent it to you by mail it is legally yours and they can't charge you for it or compel you to return it IIRC

I've heard this before. It just seems down to more of an ethics thing. I'll just have to wait on the Fed Ex label to show up in my inbox.

JackMann posted:

Where do you live?

I'm in the US.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

I've heard this before. It just seems down to more of an ethics thing. I'll just have to wait on the Fed Ex label to show up in my inbox.

I'm in the US.

It was a MTO run, so you getting a second accidentally shipped to you means someone else isn't getting theirs. Personally, I'd send it back.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tracula posted:

Normally I would be like "Meh, whatever, it's yours," and it is very likely the case that legally if they sent it to you it's yours and you're not obligated to do anything, but the thrust of their argument seems to be that these were made in numbers equal to the people who ordered them, so if you got two somebody ordered one and didn't get any. Which would make sending it back the right thing to do in some sense.

The flip side of that is if they were responsible they'd have manufactured extra as insurance against this sort of error, and in fact probably did, so ????

Speaking personally I would send it back.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Stephenls posted:

Normally I would be like "Meh, whatever, it's yours," and it is very likely the case that legally if they sent it to you it's yours and you're not obligated to do anything, but the thrust of their argument seems to be that these were made in numbers equal to the people who ordered them, so if you got two somebody ordered one and didn't get any. Which would make sending it back the right thing to do in some sense.

The flip side of that is if they were responsible they'd have manufactured extra as insurance against this sort of error, and in fact probably did, so ????

I freely admit this is my exact moral quandary. IF I DID keep the second I got no plans to flip it or anything, was gonna give it as a gift to some of my other 40k friends.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'd probably send it back, so long as they're willing to provide shipping and all you need to do is slap a label on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I wouldn't, mostly because gently caress corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Yeah also voting that I'd keep it - there's no way they didn't account for stuff getting lost in the mail and manufacture some backups

Unless you plan to scalp it, in which case that is uncool