Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

pet sorc is great but i got bored with mine and switched to stamina. my weapon skills arent maxed yet but im mowing everything down quickly just spamming rapid strikes and bound armament with all the buffs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Thought I'd give the game a whirl?

I'm pokchu for a guild invite.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ASenileAnimal posted:

sure post any vids you have. i tried a few battlegrounds matches and did ok but not great. i have to work on breaking the habit of spamming jabs over and over. right now im using hundings 7th legion and selene. also godamn dragonknights own the poo poo out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6DiGQZ105Y

Kiri's one of the best pvpers still playing, and Nefas is pretty good at explaining things, so this is definitely one of the premiere sources for learning PvP

If you want to know more hop into this discord server https://discord.gg/Rg7BZq

I don't post there since, you know, but it's a growing hub for anything ESO related and it's relatively toxicity-free.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

pokchu posted:

Thought I'd give the game a whirl?

I'm pokchu for a guild invite.

Is that your UID (login id) or character name?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tried tanking for the first time and it was pretty fun. jumped right into fungal grotto at level 10 and beat all the bosses to death along with the healer cause the 2 dps died and for some reason stayed dead for the entire second half of the dungeon.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Bonapartisan posted:

Is that your UID (login id) or character name?

Both

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Coming back after a few years. Should I start in one of the expansion areas?

Also, I logged into one of my low level toons and...did stats get buffed or something? My level 3 Templar's sword does 1K damage and I have a ton of HP. I don't remember the numbers being so big...but it has been a while.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For the discussion on the last page, if you buy the non-Upgrade version of Greymoor it will include all previous Chapters with it, free of charge.

Though they will all be available with ESO+ that way if your sub lapses you'll still have access to them.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

You've got pending invites to Chill Bros (main guild) and Deconstruct Circle Jerk (the crafting guild)

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

leveling my tank solely through doing dungeons and its really fun. instantly getting a hit the second you join the dungeon queue is really addicting.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How geared up do you need to be to start doing vet dungeons? I have baby sets on my stamplar, Spriggans, Agility, and Bloodthorne

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Devorum posted:

Coming back after a few years. Should I start in one of the expansion areas?

Also, I logged into one of my low level toons and...did stats get buffed or something? My level 3 Templar's sword does 1K damage and I have a ton of HP. I don't remember the numbers being so big...but it has been a while.

Yeah, that’s from the level scaling

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

omg chael crash posted:

It was quite bizarre to watch my stats go down as I leveled. I thought I was somehow massively screwing up my build for a while.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Why on earth would my level need to be scaled on the newbie island?

I guess it really doesn't matter, just seems an odd choice.

EDIT: Okay, I just read about it, and I guess the way they're doing it makes sense...but it still feels weird.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 6, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Devorum posted:

Why on earth would my level need to be scaled on the newbie island?

I guess it really doesn't matter, just seems an odd choice.

EDIT: Okay, I just read about it, and I guess the way they're doing it makes sense...but it still feels weird.

Part of the universal level scaling is that you can go to any zone as a member of any faction. So you can do other faction's noob island later and it all still scales.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So from what the OP is describing the game is now more like Guild Wars 2 where scaling means you can really just log on and screw around and go where you want, and levels only matter insomuch as you get more abilities, is that about right? How important is doing the storyline in terms of unlocking content?

Also most importantly how much stupid Elder Scrolls janky weird poo poo does the game contain?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Possibly related to the same topic. I was browsing a guild's store today, looking for weapon upgrades. I happened to look at level 50 weapons, which have pretty much exactly the same damage and bonus effects as my level 25 weapon. That seems ... weird, and since gear doesn't have stats or anything on it, where the hell is the increased power going to come from in the next 25 levels?

Also, is anyone other than me playing in House Awful on the EU servers anymore? I've never seen anyone online, but this is ESO so I wouldn't put it past the game bugging out somehow.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

Also most importantly how much stupid Elder Scrolls janky weird poo poo does the game contain?

The Murkmire DLC contains a lot of Argonian lore which is pretty unique. The Khajiit also get explored in the Elsweyr content. Orsinium is cool if you like Orcs. The Bosmer have some moments as well.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Possibly related to the same topic. I was browsing a guild's store today, looking for weapon upgrades. I happened to look at level 50 weapons, which have pretty much exactly the same damage and bonus effects as my level 25 weapon. That seems ... weird, and since gear doesn't have stats or anything on it, where the hell is the increased power going to come from in the next 25 levels?

Also, is anyone other than me playing in House Awful on the EU servers anymore? I've never seen anyone online, but this is ESO so I wouldn't put it past the game bugging out somehow.
Well, you'll have more skill points. And there are a lot of end-game sets which will make you more powerful. And CP points make you more powerful (but are also available for your low-level alts).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Der Shovel posted:

Your damage is based off your Stamina/Magika, so that adds a huge amount. Also skills spells and abilities, buffs from those, higher level food and potions, and as mentioned, the CP bonuses add up to very large multiplier bonuses. Crit bonuses get very large as well, especially if you start stacking divines and the Lover (I think that's the right mundus - the +crit one).

e: oh, also buff your penetration. You do a LOT more damage when you mitigate the enemy's damage resistance.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 6, 2020

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Leveling as a magblade over the past couple months my experience has been like:

1-50 - Flat power curve. Gaining abilities and passives offsets the loss of boosted stats. I bought some Julianos crafted pieces when I went to update my training gear around level 35, which was pretty cheap and maybe helped some.

0cp - 160cp - Noticeable dip in power. I only had generic training pieces I crafted myself and started dying semi-often when I would try and bulldoze over a larger group of mobs in a delve or whatever. But these levels went by very fast.

160cp - Large power gain. I asked in guild and got a Julianos set crafted. I also had around 180k gold from leveling and bought a Mother's Sorrow Inferno Staff that I upgraded to Legendary (expensive) and blue Mother's Sorrow jewelry (cheap.) Within about 40 minutes I had two 5-piece sets and a good weapon, which let me crush overworld/quest content with little effort.

Around 220cp I cherry picked some veteran pledges and completed a monster set. Also used Dreugh Wax and junk to upgrade my armor as I got money. Incremental gains got me to the point where I could do base game vet dungeons without feeling like I needed to be carried. And I did veteran Maelstrom Arena yesterday at 273cp which got me an inferno staff and completed my build for now. Don't see the point in grinding for a more tryhard set given the meager endgame.

Very little grind involved. I've spent pretty much all my time questing and wandering around like a dumbass. Queued for pledges when I felt like it.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

so ive tanked to level 34 doing nothing but dungeons and i have a few questions about vet dungeons

am i going to be able to just stand there and get beat on and not have my health go down while blocking/interupting like in normal?

alot of bosses seem to have an aoe attack that cant be interupted/blocked that sends everyone flying. so far ive just tried to block or cast igneous shield before it hits to reduce damage to my group. is this going to work in vet?

do i need a staff on the backbar for wall of elements?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm trying to figure out all the various DLCs for this game because the store mixes things that are earnable in game with those that aren't and things that are cosmetic with things that are functional.

Content (ESO+ gives access to these):
Chapters (Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr)
Zones (Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Orsinium,Murkmire, Clockwork City, Dragonhold)
Dungeons (Dragon Bones, Harrowstorm, Horns of the Reach, Scalebreaker, Shadows of the Hist, Wolfhunter, Wrathstone)

Character options
Classes (Warden, Necromancer)
Digital Imperial Edition Upgrade (Imperial Class plus cosmetics)

Permanent Additional conveniences:
Bristleneck War Boar (Pet that adds 5 inventory slots per character)
Additional Character Slots (up to 9? additional slots each one bought individually)
Any Race, Any Alliance Bundle (allows creation of a character without alliance/race limitations)
Cat/Human Banker/Merchant (lets you use bank/merchant anywhere)
-------------
One time use crown only conveniences:
Change Tokens (Race/Name/Appearance/Alliance)

Pay money Crowns instead of gold:
Bank/Bag Space Upgrades
Respec Scrolls
Outfit Change Token
Crafting motifs (all these can be found randomly in game or bought from guild stores?)
Storage Chests/Coffers (bought Crowns/writ vouchers/Tel Var Stones not actually gold)

Pay money Crowns to skip the grind:
Skyshards and skill lines earned on one character can be bought for others.
Research Scrolls
Riding Lessons
XP scrolls

Random Garbage:
Potions/Poisons/Repair Kits/Soul Gems (LOL)

I think everything else is cosmetics (Horses, Houses, Pets, Costumes, Furnishings)

Am I missing anything? The Storage Chests and Bristleneck War Boar are easy to miss so I don't know if there's anything else in the sea of presumable cosmetics that adds utility like those.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Can I have a guild invite? Character name is whats-updog, account name is Moocowlian. I'm apparently already in Deconstruct Circle Jerk from my last go with this game, but dropped from the other one.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Der Shovel posted:

I'm playing a StamSorc on EU - Just got to CP level 110! But i'm in the "Chill Bros European Vacation" guild that Dori made, and also I think I'm the only one that still logs in it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doctor Zero posted:

Your damage is based off your Stamina/Magika, so that adds a huge amount. Also skills spells and abilities, buffs from those, higher level food and potions, and as mentioned, the CP bonuses add up to very large multiplier bonuses. Crit bonuses get very large as well, especially if you start stacking divines and the Lover (I think that's the right mundus - the +crit one).

Yeah, but surely there should be some benefit for equipping the level 50 weapon over the level 25 one? Or does my level 25 weapon keep getting scaled down the further my level increases from 25?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Der Shovel posted:

Or does my level 25 weapon keep getting scaled down the further my level increases from 25?

I think it’s this. I can try to compare on my different characters when I get back to the PS4 unless someone else can confirm/deny.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Der Shovel posted:

Or does my level 25 weapon keep getting scaled down the further my level increases from 25?

It's that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That kinda sucks, but maybe it's an unavoidable consequence of having everything scale to your level.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I guess it's functionally very similar to when there was no scaling, and I think it's probably a good thing to keep the player upgrading rather than have them get everything at level 2 and then not equip anything new for then next hundred hours of playtime. It's just a bit weird to see your numbers drop. For what it's worth, it doesn't seem to drop fast enough to have a particularly noticeable effect unless you're really, really behind, which their isn't much reason to be since levelling doesn't really require set bonuses and training gear is fairly easily available.

I don't think I've ever seen a full scaling system like this in any other games - a lot of games now do downscaling but scaling the player up is pretty rare, especially while maintaining a standard gear progression system.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm playing a StamSorc on EU - Just got to CP level 110! But i'm in the "Chill Bros European Vacation" guild that Dori made, and also I think I'm the only one that still logs in it.

I'll log back in and give you the keys to the castle baby. Spread the word of Chill Bro Nation to the continent, and lead them to new sexy places.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Der Shovel posted:

That kinda sucks, but maybe it's an unavoidable consequence of having everything scale to your level.

Why does it suck? You'll get more gear with higher levels.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

battlegrounds as a tank is hilarious. i went in knowing i cant kill anyone but running around debuffing/ccing everyone racked up a ton of assists for me and we won the few games i played. im glad i can do this to unlock caltrops instead of cyrodil.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doctor Zero posted:

Why does it suck? You'll get more gear with higher levels.

Because it's not much fun "upgrading" from a 1186 damage / 1204 damage staff to a 1186 damage / 1204 damage one.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

To all the new players:

If you are leveling to 50 - and you are not wearing training gear - Please reach out to me.
@Mordgier via in game mail.

List the build you are going for and I will craft you a training set at no cost. (I'm missing training on some melee weapons but should still be able to get you equivalent, ie 2h sword vs 2h axe etc)

If you need a CP160 set I can craft that at cost and at the rarity of your choice or free if you provide the materials. (CP160 gear requires x10 the components of CP150)

2 coordinated sets of gear will massively boost your solo performance and the training boost is like 70% more xp - so don't be shy.

Do request a new set every 20 levels.

PS: I CANNOT craft CP10-140 gear without mats provided to me...I just don't have the mats in that level range nor can I harvest them anymore. I would suggest just wearing level 50 gear and doing dolmen CP10-160)

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 8, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought this a year or two ago, got to level 10, and have just now come back to give it another shot. I'm in Vvardenfell, and I've just carried on from where I left off last time. It's a bit confusing though - I assume this zone is from the Morrowind expansion, but from what I recall it's where the game started me off. As it seems like I'm now coming towards the end of the zone at level 13, is there a 'correct' place to go next? The game keeps pushing me to buy the newest expansion, but I assume I won't need to do that for now until I level through all the old stuff.

What should I prioritize, or is it OK to just follow wherever the game sends me without worrying that I'll miss something important?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bardeh posted:

I bought this a year or two ago, got to level 10, and have just now come back to give it another shot. I'm in Vvardenfell, and I've just carried on from where I left off last time. It's a bit confusing though - I assume this zone is from the Morrowind expansion, but from what I recall it's where the game started me off. As it seems like I'm now coming towards the end of the zone at level 13, is there a 'correct' place to go next? The game keeps pushing me to buy the newest expansion, but I assume I won't need to do that for now until I level through all the old stuff.

What should I prioritize, or is it OK to just follow wherever the game sends me without worrying that I'll miss something important?

Everything is scaled. There’s no reason to worry. Go where your heart desires.

But as to why it did that I assume you bought the game when the morrowind expansion came out. It always starts you on in the latest expansion you can access. But you don’t have to stay there. On a new character if you play until you get the mysterious benefactor quest you will pick up the main story. Otherwise just head over to your factions main hub and it will give you a quest to get you going on your faction quest line.

BTW I’m CP level 256 and I’ve not finished the story or faction lines so it’s really not that important.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Bardeh posted:

Game likes to start you at the latest DLC you own.

You should have gotten someone give you the start of the "Main Quest" - and that is what takes you through the main story.

Worth mentioning is that Prologue quests like to bug the main quest so it's best to just abandon any prologues you have or finish them.

Doing the main quest will get you through the central game story.

Beyond that there are faction stories for each faction that start in the 'main' zones for each area and will initiate after you get kidnapped...

EDIT: As above - it doesn't really matter where you go and what you do unless you are trying to keep things in a chronological order of events to some extent.

The game will happily shove you into DLC and expansion content that takes place AFTER the completion of the main story so you'll be meeting people who you technically haven't even rescued yet and they'll reference things that you have yet to do - so it can be really jarring.

Doctor Zero posted:

BTW I’m CP level 256 and I’ve not finished the story or faction lines so it’s really not that important.

The only reason to do the main story at least part way is that soul magic skill line is locked behind it and you want the passive that recharges soul gems from some kills as that keeps your enchants charged with zero effort. It's a major QoL change imo.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. I'll just go on my merry way and do some quests and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

FileNotFound posted:

The only reason to do the main story at least part way is that soul magic skill line is locked behind it and you want the passive that recharges soul gems from some kills as that keeps your enchants charged with zero effort. It's a major QoL change imo.

Yeah, agreed. That's exactly where I stopped. I really should get into it again, but I'm having too much fun running around.