Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

redreader posted:

Is there a way to check what enemy skills are in my enemy skill materia?

Those skills will be added to the action menu of the character who equips it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I noped out of Bloodborne at Micolash, because he's a laughable piece of poo poo and incredibly tedious to fight, because I was just looking for a game to play and thought I'd clear out my backlog without really being in the mood for that kind of thing, so I punished myself pushing through the game not really having fun until it broke me. Then I took a break, watched a bit of an LP and hit the game fresh, and just blew through it like any Souls game.

I thought the blood starved beast was the easiest boss in the game by quite a margin. His attacks look scary, but after a while I realised that he just wasn't hitting me, like at all. All of his attacks go in front of him with nothing to counter you in the rear, so if you stand a little away from him and dodge into him when he uses his big, obvious attacks, he will jump right past you and you'll be perfectly positioned to hit him in the rear while he flails away at nothing. Dodge into him, hit a couple times, retreat a little while he turns around, repeat until dead.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Does putting the game on easy make the pull-ups easier too? If not, don't think I'll be platinuming this

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Does putting the game on easy make the pull-ups easier too? If not, don't think I'll be platinuming this

Nope, just gotta hope that RNG makes Jules gently caress up or get better at it. I only beat him cause he stopped tying me for 44.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Only real trick to pullups is to not mess up your inputs. Don't even worry about going particularly speedy with it, just concentrate on not flubbing, since if you do you'll lose. Once you've hit about ten in a row, then you can safely pick up your pace a little

Also if you watch Tifa closely, she has a slight hiccup to her animation when she's going between pullup phases. That's when it's safe to hit the button

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 6, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the animation stops dead between phases, so up your pace until there is only a very slight jerkiness to her movements. Once you're going so fast that you can't even tell, just maintain your current pace. When you have to mash, remember that there are exactly six button presses, then it moves on again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can you grind materia levels in VR sim? Just got my first one (the summon one)

Also whats the name of the sick battle theme that plays when you sneak out with Aerith to sector 6

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 7, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Absolutely. But usually people do it after they beat the game. Post game you get 3x materia XP. This is regardless of whether you play on normal or hard. Personally I did my grind in normal mode before tackling another play through on hard.

There's two good places to grind (one VR and one at the start of a chapter). But if you're still early on in your 1st play through I'll refrain from disclosing. You can PM if you want to know now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Absolutely. But usually people do it after they beat the game. Post game you get 3x materia XP. This is regardless of whether you play on normal or hard. Personally I did my grind in normal mode before tackling another play through on hard.

There's two good places to grind (one VR and one at the start of a chapter). But if you're still early on in your 1st play through I'll refrain. You can PM if you want to know now.

Thanks. Good to know you get increased exp on 2nd playthrough. I'll hold off on grinding for now.

You can send me a pm and I'll save it for later

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Also whats the name of the sick battle theme that plays when you sneak out with Aerith to sector 6

Due Recompense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVW2FGbM9hw

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 7, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thanks but I found it on SE's official site. It's called High Five (of course) and its my new ear worm.

(If I could find a full rip of it)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Thanks but I found it on SE's official site. It's called High Five (of course) and its my new ear worm.

(If I could find a full rip of it)

Ah, I thought you meant the one later on. There's plenty of videos on YouTube but they get taken down quickly

https://youtu.be/qPmOOUrdGAs?t=343

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ah, I thought you meant the one later on. There's plenty of videos on YouTube but they get taken down quickly

https://youtu.be/qPmOOUrdGAs?t=343

Thanks!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wall Market in the day is something I really liked, now that I’m finally leaving. At night, the illusion of its glitz and glamor is really powerful, but during the day, it looks a lot more like the rest of the slums- junk and garbage plus the much sadder gaudy decorations

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like a lot of entertainment districts around the world it loses its charm once in the light of day.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

DeathChicken posted:

I gave up on Bloodborne after a prolonged fight with Blood Starved Beast, where I got it down to a fraction of health using a lot of clever movement, lucky parries and most of my items, then it went into a one hit kill head chomp and I died anyway.

After which, I realized I was going to have to grind repetitively just to get poo poo like my bullets back and I didn't feel like playing anymore

Yea that was the hardest boss for me. I think I ended up summoning someone to get through it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Wall Market in the day is something I really liked, now that I’m finally leaving. At night, the illusion of its glitz and glamor is really powerful, but during the day, it looks a lot more like the rest of the slums- junk and garbage plus the much sadder gaudy decorations

Wish they had put in a separate day theme tbh

Also I wasn't really a fan of the wall market them in the remake. Due Recompense is so good though

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I hope there's a good reason why Cloud is seeing flashes of events that haven't happened yet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:allears:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Arkage posted:

Yea that was the hardest boss for me. I think I ended up summoning someone to get through it.

I just played it a bunch, and the hardest boss for me was the chalice dungeon Amygdala. Honorable mentions for Pthumerian Descendent and Hot Dog. The toughest bosses in the non-dungeon game were Laurence and Child of Kos.

I have Sekiro: final boss blocking me from finishing Sekiro. I've tried it about twice for a 45 minute session each time. I got it so that I can do the first form without healing or taking any damage, it's really fast. I can't get past the second form though. I need to just sit down and learn/play it a bit more. I enjoyed Sekiro but it's my least favourite From game (starting with Demon's souls)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Colosseum spoilers

Staggering Hell House just as Fat Chocobo does its final summon move for 5k dmg :discourse:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WaltherFeng posted:

I hope there's a good reason why Cloud is seeing flashes of events that haven't happened yet

Make sure your seatbelt is fastened, your tray table is up and your seat is in the upright locked position. Then keep playing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Make sure your seatbelt is fastened, your tray table is up and your seat is in the upright locked position. Then keep playing.

im waiting for my friend to finish this game and its incredibly tough. He has no idea what's in store and I wanna talk about the ending SO BAD

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Also I'm finding the longer time has passed since I've finished this game, the more I think the ending actually owns

I was pretty down and confused when I first got the credits, but now I'm just pumped for what part 2 could be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of the things I want most is just a way to swap out characters on the fly midbattle like FFX had. use an ATB bar to switch characters, blammo. that way it'd solve the "you've got 10 people in your group right now" problem without contriving constant ways to only have 3 at a time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's everyone's stance on using Barrier/Manaward/Manawall? Is it worth the ATB and MP cost to help protect yourself for a little while or do people just heal if/when they take a lot of damage?

Moola posted:

im waiting for my friend to finish this game and its incredibly tough. He has no idea what's in store and I wanna talk about the ending SO BAD

I'm almost at the ending but I think just through hearing conversations about the game for eons I have an inkling about a couple things but we'll see!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barrier, Manaward, and Manawall are really strong. They fully halve the damage you take and can be a lifesaver in a lot of fights. Magnify + Barrier materia makes fights like Leviathan a lot more manageable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Barrier, Manaward, and Manawall are really strong. They fully halve the damage you take and can be a lifesaver in a lot of fights. Magnify + Barrier materia makes fights like Leviathan a lot more manageable.

Yeah, I just beat Leviathan yesterday after a couple tries and that was the fight that made me wonder about it. Specifically the Tidal Wave attack, which I decided to try and prevent rather than endure.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

OK! I just FINALLY kicked this bad boy off, and I am like... sooooo psyched! I have been in a difficult living situation for the past 6 months, and haven't had access to anything aside from my laptop and Switch in terms of gaming potential - no monitor, no TV, nothing like that. And no real time to sit down and play the game, even if I had the means at my disposal. Between working all the time and not working at all, I'll take the one that keeps a roof over my head. This is all to say that, this week (and probably the next) I am staying in a cozy little motel with a nice big flatscreen for me to hook my PS4 up to, and FINAAALLLLYYY get my FFVII Remake on! WOOO! I have been looking forward to this for... well, two decades, like most of you!

poo poo, I just started on Saturday, and I'm already in Chapter 4 (PLEASE tell me I am not too far along I don't want this game to go by me too fast!) I mean I am.... REALLY trying to take my time with this one and get EVERYTHING without using any walkthroughs. I mean, I'm just really taking my time to check every blind alley, listen to what every NPC has to say, try and find every 'hidden' treasure chest/materia, and so forth. Again, I know I am missing stuff and going slowly because I'm not using a walkthrough and I'm not perfect, but this is my first playthrough and I have special rules for first playthrough when it's... well, a game like this which I know I'll want to play at least one more time. On that playthrough (I heard there is a hard mode) I can use a guide and get EVERYTHING..

But I am going SUPER slow I think, lol... I am at the 10 hour mark right now, and I just parachuted back into Sector 7 with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge who are all so fun and wholesome to hang out with! I heard the game is like 40 hours long if you "take your time a bit", but I REALLY hope that I'm not already 1/4 through the drat game! I mean, we haven't even LEFT to go on the second mission yet! It's more like I'm maybe an 1/8th of the way through Midgar... Which is of course like 1/8th of the way through the game itself.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was nervous about how future chapters are going to be - like do you just start over in terms of power? I mean, I am assuming that this CHAPTER 1 is still a complete RPG and like.... You get MASTER materia and badass equipment by the end... But how do they work with that in a future game? Do we just reset Cloud to level 1 with the understanding that monsters are so much stronger outside of Midgar that it's LIKE you start over? Who knows, I dont even know how this one ends maybe they addressed that with a plot point who tha gently caress knows...

Any tips, as well, in general? Cool stuff or semi-secret stuff I might miss? I am playing on standard/normal mode and finding the game lots of fun, but... a bit too easy to abuse aspects of the battle system? I have died twice, so maybe I should not say that... It is a TON of fun and such a blast to play though, and I adore this characterization of Cloud. He is so much more... pretty :swoon:

But seriously, I am so impressed at how much better-written and more complex and interesting he is, this time around. He feels like a real person, and I love his subtle facial expressions. The personality of this guy comes through in those subtly furrowed brows, the widened eyes and averted gaze, and so on. None of that was in the original, and frankly the translation/localization effort was rushed and poor. I mean, we all know this. But it was like I was meeting Cloud again for the first time ever, in this game. And that it did not disappoint me, and I came away impressed and... frankly, feeling a unique mix of nostalgia, awe, and allure. This game really is something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kaworu posted:

OK! I just FINALLY kicked this bad boy off, and I am like... sooooo psyched! I have been in a difficult living situation for the past 6 months, and haven't had access to anything aside from my laptop and Switch in terms of gaming potential - no monitor, no TV, nothing like that. And no real time to sit down and play the game, even if I had the means at my disposal. Between working all the time and not working at all, I'll take the one that keeps a roof over my head. This is all to say that, this week (and probably the next) I am staying in a cozy little motel with a nice big flatscreen for me to hook my PS4 up to, and FINAAALLLLYYY get my FFVII Remake on! WOOO! I have been looking forward to this for... well, two decades, like most of you!

poo poo, I just started on Saturday, and I'm already in Chapter 4 (PLEASE tell me I am not too far along I don't want this game to go by me too fast!) I mean I am.... REALLY trying to take my time with this one and get EVERYTHING without using any walkthroughs. I mean, I'm just really taking my time to check every blind alley, listen to what every NPC has to say, try and find every 'hidden' treasure chest/materia, and so forth. Again, I know I am missing stuff and going slowly because I'm not using a walkthrough and I'm not perfect, but this is my first playthrough and I have special rules for first playthrough when it's... well, a game like this which I know I'll want to play at least one more time. On that playthrough (I heard there is a hard mode) I can use a guide and get EVERYTHING..

But I am going SUPER slow I think, lol... I am at the 10 hour mark right now, and I just parachuted back into Sector 7 with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge who are all so fun and wholesome to hang out with! I heard the game is like 40 hours long if you "take your time a bit", but I REALLY hope that I'm not already 1/4 through the drat game! I mean, we haven't even LEFT to go on the second mission yet! It's more like I'm maybe an 1/8th of the way through Midgar... Which is of course like 1/8th of the way through the game itself.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was nervous about how future chapters are going to be - like do you just start over in terms of power? I mean, I am assuming that this CHAPTER 1 is still a complete RPG and like.... You get MASTER materia and badass equipment by the end... But how do they work with that in a future game? Do we just reset Cloud to level 1 with the understanding that monsters are so much stronger outside of Midgar that it's LIKE you start over? Who knows, I dont even know how this one ends maybe they addressed that with a plot point who tha gently caress knows...

Any tips, as well, in general? Cool stuff or semi-secret stuff I might miss? I am playing on standard/normal mode and finding the game lots of fun, but... a bit too easy to abuse aspects of the battle system? I have died twice, so maybe I should not say that... It is a TON of fun and such a blast to play though, and I adore this characterization of Cloud. He is so much more... pretty :swoon:

But seriously, I am so impressed at how much better-written and more complex and interesting he is, this time around. He feels like a real person, and I love his subtle facial expressions. The personality of this guy comes through in those subtly furrowed brows, the widened eyes and averted gaze, and so on. None of that was in the original, and frankly the translation/localization effort was rushed and poor. I mean, we all know this. But it was like I was meeting Cloud again for the first time ever, in this game. And that it did not disappoint me, and I came away impressed and... frankly, feeling a unique mix of nostalgia, awe, and allure. This game really is something.

I'm at 50 hours and very near towards the end of my first playthrough. I would say I played similarly to you in terms of taking my time to find everything. But Hard mode would add a lot more hours and once you're done you can spend extra time replaying certain missions or grinding. So even after you're done the story you're not necessarily done with the game.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you bother to play through hard mode once you complete the game, and even taking "efficient" paths to platinum the game, you've got a good 80-90 hoirs of playtime total.

The game is pretty good about making sure you have the tools/info you need to not really miss anything, but on a first play through, there might be tiny things missed. They won't affect you being able to go back and replay that for whatever you missed though.

Enjoy the game, though. :3:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm at 97+ hours and nearly through with Hard Mode, but I still have probably another 5 hours or so of chasing down everything to get platinum and 100% completion, so don't worry too much about the game ending too quickly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I go back and try to ace the darts minigame that's probably a couple hours right there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Steal from a boss at the end of Chapter 11, Eligor. This is the only place where you can get one of Aerith's weapons.
Keep your eyes peeled for purple chests, they contain weapons. Chapter numbers: start-ish of 7, start of 10, start of 11, start of 16 off the top of my head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, looks like I missed Mythril Saber. Got so used to the shops selling the same things over and over again I didn't even think to check before the point of no return.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lobok posted:

If I go back and try to ace the darts minigame that's probably a couple hours right there.

i did this in like 10 minutes and was like gently caress yeah i am still good at video games

then i proceed to do so terribly in actual combat that i got frustrated and turned the game to classic.

the universe has a cruel sense of humor.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I love the darts mini-game. I think I got like 7th on the leaderboard after a few tries and getting the hang of it. I am definitely gonna ace that mini-game! It is quite fun for a minigame, though.

I gotta say I am also really impressed at how well done the characterization/localization is. This kind of thing can feel so clunky and unnatural when it's done poorly, and it's just so.... cool to play a game that's just as sharp and fun and well-paced as this. You know what it feels like? Driving in some super-luxurious car, seriously! It's like, the music sounds better than normal, everything is super-comfortable to control and very intuitive, it's extremely chic and the lines are gorgeous, and it just purrs and hums when it gets going, runs like a dream. It's also a bit TOO shiny and perfect though, too.

Thank you guys for the advice on the missable weapons.. I love getting that kinda stuff, it always feels special - every game needs cool secret weapons/equipments as well as a really cool upgrade system.

I *love* the weapon upgrade system - it is just too cool in terms of design, and I just really like the whole concept of weapons being essentially equal overall, but having one to focus on like nagic attack, another for straight-up physical attacks, another to make you into a high-defense/HP tank, etc... So cool!

And great to hear that I do have plenty to go. I gotta say it does not feel stretched out or weird, the whole game is really perfectly paced.... It's just a totally different kinda game from FF7, can't compare. It would be like if they released Disc 1 of FFVII on its own, but they expanded it HUGELY and it ended like... after the Cosmo Canyon events instead of where it really ends...

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 8, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing I don't love about the weapon upgrade system is it's hard to get an overview of everything. If you want to know what one weapon is good for you have to go into that weapon's system of cores and tab around and then also go into the Equipment menu to see its effect on your stats and then to compare to another weapon you're going back and forth into those two sub-menus for again. Same with Materia, which is just a display of coloured orbs. I would have preferred a list so I could see faster what everyone has equipped.

Adus posted:

i did this in like 10 minutes and was like gently caress yeah i am still good at video games

then i proceed to do so terribly in actual combat that i got frustrated and turned the game to classic.

the universe has a cruel sense of humor.

I've got drift in the left joystick so it's tough. Doubt I'll plat it anyway so it's no big deal. I did perfect the squat challenge.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 8, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I decided on the spot that I wouldn't leave until I was the darts champion and by god did I do it.
The reward you get for it isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I assumed I needed to aim for triple 20s every time at darts, which inevitably caused much :argh:. Especially when i figured out you could still get to the same score in the same amount of moves by just aiming for the bullseye.