Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

It had so many parts where I was actively dreading or hoping to avoid. Basically any fight with the fuckin like Tron monsters or whatever was just a slog. Being wolflink was fine, they just made those fights play out in a lovely way.

As Wolf Link there's a really way to kill those tron-whatever monsters. They always show up in pairs of three. As Wolf Link, do the move that creates a circle around you and get all three monsters highlighted in the circle. Wolf Link then basically auto-kills all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think I tapped out of Fifa around the Euro 2012 version and Call of Duty with whatever version had the fast stabby knife you got with 100 pistol kills. I've certainly had fun with both series but they are the go-to franchises for people that get into games as some kind of populist side hobby but again I'm not really trying to insult or drag down people who enjoy these franchises, it just makes me roll my eyes a bit.

jesus christ

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Ugh, those Call of Duty and FIFA games aren't for those of us with refined tastes in gaming. They're just what's on the radio, metaphorically speaking. True gamers play the hidden gems like God of War, Doom, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think I tapped out of Fifa around the Euro 2012 version and Call of Duty with whatever version had the fast stabby knife you got with 100 pistol kills. I've certainly had fun with both series but they are the go-to franchises for people that get into games as some kind of populist side hobby but again I'm not really trying to insult or drag down people who enjoy these franchises, it just makes me roll my eyes a bit.

L...Lottery of Babylon?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

about the Ocarina chat, it's not held up. I've never finished it and I feel like I was supposed to? I gave it a shot when it came out, on gamecube, and on 3ds.

but it's just not that compelling to go all the way through. and I was kind of awed every time by how open everything gets when you start and get out into the field. and then I lose interest because everything's kind of a pain in the rear end. but I haven't finished a zelda game since one of the oracle ones, probably, so maybe it's just not my thing. I get why it was a big deal but it's not my deal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo people acting like it was a bad game is dumb, but I agree it does not really hold up. It was way fun when it came out but trying to play the remake on 3DS was a slog and I couldn't bother to finish it.

Unpopular opinion. Many good games don't stand the test of time but that doesn't mean they were bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One of the most well regarded games of all time is bad!

:colbert:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never finished a Zelda game and never will but Ocarina is the farthest I got and that is the nicest thing I can say about the most overrated game series in history. Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and The Minnish Cap are bad games with baffling designs about their presentation and design which were very easy to turn off and forget about.

The worst thing about Zelda is I can picture an amazing 10/10 fantastic Zelda game in my mind but then you play a Nintendo one and it just seems like its doing a bunch of things to make the experience worse. Either the controls are awkward, or the voice acting is alien and childish for no particular reason or I'm just not compelled by the whole "Get bow, get boomerang, get bombs" style that has been milked for 30+years

Maybe one day they'll do a gritty version of Zelda with professionally done voice acting and well directed cutscenes and more of an effort in making a compelling story. While they are making improvements they could try to do a combat system more engaging than the slightly more complex version of Rock, Paper Scissors that Zelda has been reliant on for so long.

Basically, Horizon: Zero Dawn is sort of what a 10/10 Zelda game would look and play like

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 7, 2020

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Shibawanko posted:

yeah it's true that no kid would ever discover that on their own but because itd be in some magazine at some point it would spread like a rumor and that just makes it cooler when you actually do find it

maybe there are better examples. super mario world has good secrets, flying under the flagpole to reach soda lake was cool, as was the special world. my point though is that i don't like routine, heavily telegraphed secret areas like in DKC

the example that comes to mind for me is the first gameboy wario game. it has a lot of secret hidden areas and treasure, they're fun to find without being too obscure, the secrets have a good balance of feeling impactful but also not being necessary, and the broadcasting is at just the right level of specificity.

Once you've beaten the final boss it tells you if there's a treasure in a level you haven't found yet but that's all you get to go off of. It's up to you to search the level and find them. This usually means taking a difficult path or using a movement mechanic in an unusual way - the levels are a great balance of mostly linear with some mazey branchiness, and the branches vary widely in how difficult, extensive, fun, and materially rewarding they are to explore. This is good because it doesn't make it obvious that you are either supposed to explore every side path or ignore every side path(what I did in DKC). Over time as you collect treasure the score screen at the end of each level fills with treasure and also entices you with the empty slots. If you explore right you find an entire hidden world that itself is full of hidden treasure and hidden levels. Find everything and then you get to look at a picture of a sick castle - good stuff.

I replayed through the whole game recently and I got all the treasures and levels and had a great time doing.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Waltzing Along posted:

People love Majora's Mask. Let's not act like popularity is indicative of how good gameplay actually is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okami is basically Zelda with Clover/Platinum combat. Though will warn you it's pretty long.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okami is basically Zelda with Clover/Platinum combat. Though will warn you it's pretty long.

I tried playing Okami around a year after it came out on wii at the behest of a friend, I just couldn't sit through that intro

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Careful about talking poo poo on Zelda, people in this thread totally lose their marbles if you make fun of their favourite one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Careful about talking poo poo on Zelda, people in this thread totally lose their marbles if you make fun of their favourite one.

i dare someone to poo poo talk Link to the Past. it can't be done :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

pink hair link is dumb

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Caesar Saladin posted:

the last time I pointed out that OoT came out so late it was after the Dreamcast someone who i don’t think I’d ever seen in GBS before flew off the handle at me so hard they ate a probe lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

pink hair link is dumb

gently caress, i never even noticed his hair is pink. i guess i am defeated :negative:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Maybe one day they'll do a gritty version of Zelda with professionally done voice acting and well directed cutscenes and more of an effort in making a compelling story.

...Darksiders?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

the last time I pointed out that OoT came out so late it was after the Dreamcast someone who i don’t think I’d ever seen in GBS before flew off the handle at me so hard they ate a probe lol

i've had two people in this thread absolutely get really mad at me for saying that Breath of the Wild isn't that great. Like, real mad. So be careful guys.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Imo people acting like it was a bad game is dumb, but I agree it does not really hold up. It was way fun when it came out but trying to play the remake on 3DS was a slog and I couldn't bother to finish it.

Unpopular opinion. Many good games don't stand the test of time but that doesn't mean they were bad.

Its not dumb to say that the game is bad, when it is in fact bad. There wasn't anything else like it at the time, so it was very novel. That's not the same as being good.

A lot of the beloved games from our childhoods were bad, but we didn't realize it at the time because we were children.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ever gone back to play a game from your childhood and it's even better than you remember now you don't suck at it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rutibex posted:

it’s like two dungeons too long

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ever gone back to play a game from your childhood and it's even better than you remember now you don't suck at it?

gargoyle's quest for gameboy, yeah

actraiser too, best action game on the snes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

yeah but the city building is just pointless busy work

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shibawanko posted:

gargoyle's quest for gameboy, yeah

gargoyle's quest was one of the first games I ever beat on my own when I was an 8 year old child. along with metroid II. i do not think i could beat those games today again without a guide.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Ocarina of Time was the Phantom Menace of Zelda games

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Gargoyle’s Quest is the best in its series: Demon’s Crest has amazing art and music but the level design and powers are half-baked; clearly had development issues of some kind given how 3/5 fire crest powers are utterly pointless and infinite hover trivializes the platforming

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

Gargoyle’s Quest is the best in its series: Demon’s Crest has amazing art and music but the level design and powers are half-baked; clearly had development issues of some kind given how 3/5 fire crest powers are utterly pointless and infinite hover trivializes the platforming

yeah i don't even really like demon's crest, something about the combat doesn't feel as fun as gargoyle's quest does, the levels are also less vertical

gargoyle's quest 2 is alright but i never got far in it

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Gargoyle’s Quest 2 is just mediocre, some parts are fun but a lot of the levels suck and the world somehow feels smaller more limited than the gameboy game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

gargoyle's quest was one of the first games I ever beat on my own when I was an 8 year old child. along with metroid II. i do not think i could beat those games today again without a guide.

I think I'll make a retro games thread for 'games you beat once and never will again'. For me, Star Fox on Route III.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

it was the first game i ever owned, next to tetris and not counting a couple of games on my dad's atari ST. i specifically requested it for my 5th birthday along with the gameboy itself. i remember being scared of the first boss (that hosed up fish creature), the way it emerges from the mud at the end of level 1 with the music changing is pretty rough. i think at that age i just got to the second boss but it was frustrating so i didn't actually beat it until years later. game rules

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the gameboy music sound channels all going silent to accommodate the huge “BRRRRRVEOW” that happened every time you hit a boss... fuckin intense

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Minish Cap is one of the best Zeldas ever made

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

the gameboy music sound channels all going silent to accommodate the huge “BRRRRRVEOW” that happened every time you hit a boss... fuckin intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuH15ozU7z4&t=59s listen to the sound when you beat the 4 eyes boss, it's like the gameboy is blowing apart from the inside or something, it's nuts that they pulled this off on such a primitive system, it also has a whole RPG part attached as well

this was also the boss that i was stuck on as a kid, so when i finally did beat it and that sound came out of nowhere it was just this massive triumph and i probably got a boner

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

i've had two people in this thread absolutely get really mad at me for saying that Breath of the Wild isn't that great. Like, real mad. So be careful guys.

Pointing out a bunch of stuff you said that was outright wrong is not getting "real mad" no matter how much you like to spin that narrative anytime someone disagrees with you, and are clearly getting mad yourself.

E: I don't think anyone except you wants to start up another botw chat though. So lets move along.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 7, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

d3lness posted:

People love Majora's Mask. Let's not act like popularity is indicative of how good gameplay actually is.

Majora’s Mask is popular and it owns actually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much everything good for the N64 besides Mario came out late in its lifespan, really.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i don't think majora's mask is really any better than oot, they're extremely similar games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

i mean a lot of well regarded games are garbage. just look at final fantasy 14

Rutibex posted:

yeah but the city building is just pointless busy work

the city building LOOKS like pointless work but while you're "supposed" to be building up a large population, its actual purpose is to hide bonuses and useful items that would be awkward to put in a stage you only get one shot to go through. however, this is more apparent in the japanese version, where you level up much more quickly and reach the level cap at like 60% of the pop it requires in the international release (where you need to fully maximize your population to reach the max level).

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

i don't think majora's mask is really any better than oot, they're extremely similar games

Majora's Mask is of the time basically what would be called 'expanshalone' nowadays, given it was made on OoT's engine as basically a spinoff twist on the formula.