Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

what's the best way to play chrono trigger nowadays? an emulator? hacking an snes classic if that's possible? some other way?

DS but don't do the extra dungeon because it is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chrono Trigger is overrated imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Overrated or not it's still a well made and very complete and interesting and pleasing and relatively timeless game.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

poo poo I was like “maybe I’ll try Dead Cells again” and then two hours passed

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool but it's just 3-4 more hours of Control, nothing too incredibly beyond what you get in the base game.

Hmm ok, I enjoyed the main game but the combat got grating towards the end.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

precision posted:

Strange I thought it was pretty much perfect when I first played it in 2010.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's pretty good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's a video game where you fight things in grates, or shoot at things through grates, so I can say the combat is grating.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

What's a video game where you fight things in grates, or shoot at things through grates, so I can say the combat is grating.

AvP2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

precision posted:

Looking forward to that period in time when Super Mario Bros is considered overrated.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the ps4 thread has already come to the conclusion that turn based combat is anachronistic, we're just a few years from "ew you have to use your hands its like a babys toy"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That was like one guy, also don't be a coward and fight your own battles ITT (in those threads) not elsewhere.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it's real time combat that's on it's way out

dancing marionettes designed to delight the simple minded while real intelligences take the time to chew on a problem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

That was like one guy, also don't be a coward and fight your own battles ITT (in those threads) not elsewhere.
what a weird post

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
maybe I need to replay it but honestly yeah CT was kinda weak in some aspects. It did a whole bunch of stuff really well and then instead of fun boss fights they're like half stupid gimmicks designed to sell guidebooks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the battle system is definitely the result of taking the conceptual framework of ATB one step further, like if the premise of ATB is "its not very realistic that everyone takes turns in battles, the bad guys should be able to interrupt you if you take too long" the CT battle system goes on to ask the question "does it make sense that everyone lines up on either side of the screen?" but also like ATB they dont do anything interesting with it, they give you all these positional attacks but you don't really have any control over the circumstances where they're actually useful

but every other square RPG on the snes is similarly flawed and everything else about CT is extremely good so i don't see that as a problem

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Secret of Manas ring system is my fav old school battle system

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
what is the actual worst jrpg battle system don't be lazy and post unlimited saga

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if action rpgs count, hydlide maybe? any of the games where "battling" just means walking into an enemy and not pressing any buttons. I realize this includes several ys'es too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

what is the actual worst jrpg battle system don't be lazy and post unlimited saga

It's unquestionably Xenosaga ep 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

maybe I need to replay it but honestly yeah CT was kinda weak in some aspects. It did a whole bunch of stuff really well and then instead of fun boss fights they're like half stupid gimmicks designed to sell guidebooks

I don't remember anything so unintuitive or hard or bad that you'd need a guidebook for, what are you thinking of in particular?

Relax Or DIE posted:

In no particular order:

Xenosaga Episode 2
Lunar Dragon Song
Project X Zone
Hoshi Wo Miru Hito
.Hack//Quarantine (specifically Quarantine because of how the gameplay loop is set up and how poor it is)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't remember if I ironically or unironically like the live a live battle system, but it's a cool one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVa3eb3cxNk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seems pretty slow

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think it would be better to actual what jrpgs actually have good combat systems.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Live-A-Live's battle system isn't exactly well explained but it is interesting, not too difficult, and unique enough to be memorable without getting in the way of the game itself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the demo for Carrion is out on GOG right now, and I tried playing it but it basically crashes immediately, which is weird cause while my laptop is pretty ancient it should be able to run that sort of game pretty effortlessly, hope it's not some sort of weird compatibility issue due to my laptop still running Windows 8.1 instead of 10

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I must be in The Snooze Zone this weekend, cause every time I go to do something I fall asleep in my chair for like an hour.

Maybe 2020 is just catching up with me :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Get rid of your chairs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's so comfortabbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been loosely getting uptodate on Riot's Vanguard anticheat, due to some random Youtube video about it. Is that shitshow going to be the new normal? It goes as far as people claiming it disabled input devices and AIO pumps (because of software/drivers controlling them).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been loosely getting uptodate on Riot's Vanguard anticheat, due to some random Youtube video about it. Is that shitshow going to be the new normal? It goes as far as people claiming it disabled input devices and AIO pumps (because of software/drivers controlling them).
they're definitely gonna try, the worst part of it will be when you have a different autocheat loading at startup for each game you play (or have ever played in the past considering how game uninstallations happen these days)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I realize this includes several ys'es too

I will bump cut you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ys is at least a little more dynamic than hydlide, in that it matters how you bump them and also especially in ys chronicles they actually react to being bumped. cant beat felghana though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Invasive anti-cheat started with Punkbuster imo. Punkbuster monitors everything that goes into your computer's memory or cache for a match with their prohibited executables or code and as far as I know it doesn't RECORD anything but it'd be trivial to make it record what it reads. Once Punkbuster became just another part of online gaming, the floodgate for code scraping DRM/anti-cheat was open. The trouble with these stupid ground-level DRM/anti-cheat programs is that you have to just take the developer's word for it that it'll never be used for nefarious purposes or hacked, which obviously they cannot say for certain.

If you value your PC's security do not install anything with kernel level execution that isn't required to make your PC run. Use this program by Microsoft to see what executes on startup on your PC if you're curious. You can filter by kernel level and see what companies are trying to run a rootkit on you.

edit: Also, Valorant's spyware isn't the first kernel level anti-cheat. EASY Anti-Cheat (Blizzard, Fortnite) does the same thing as does BattlEye (Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Planetside 2).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 7, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EAC at least is only loaded while the game is running

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is that shitshow going to be the new normal?
Only if you let it be. Vote with your money/clicks. Don't install invasive programs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Looking forward to that period in time when Super Mario Bros is considered overrated.

i guarantee you this take has been took many times already on these very forums

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Relax Or DIE posted:

Vandal Hearts 2.

You move at the exact same time as the enemy in a tacRPG, meaning either you predict things brilliantly and get a free attack from behind while the enemy whiffs on air, or you both whiff on air, or some other incredibly unsatisfying outcome.

I don’t know how they went from such a fun game in Vandal Hearts to the complete shitpile that was VH2, but they managed it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Weedle posted:

i guarantee you this take has been took many times already on these very forums

The last Bowser castle has some of the worst frame drops I've seen since championship bowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for GOTY 1982