Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Derp, should have realized that was an edit and Marvel prooooooobably wouldn’t feature an F-bomb.

Man, has it ever been a long week.

I would have hoped you realised it was an edit when the sentence changed font and emboldened for "gently caress the police".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's all right, if any characters were to state that, it would be the X-Men. And Spider-Man.

Considering how often police try to murder him, Spider-man sure is ambivalent about them. You'd think 2-3 unprovoked attempted murders would be enough to radicalize him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Uncle Ben would be looking down on Peter ashamed of his filthy mouth. Aunt May on the other hand talks like a sailor when he's not around.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ben Grimm -- now there's a pottymouth

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure Peter has said bad words and felt very guilty about it.

He would be agonizing about it for at least five pages, and there’s a good possibility it would create a new super villain in some roundabout way.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Peter Parker's sitting next to me right now (mod perk) and he's just been saying "gently caress" over and over for the past 36 hours.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Admiralty Flag posted:

Ben Grimm -- now there's a pottymouth

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's [knob-]clobberin' time!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I cannot convey to you just how bad that French is.

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

Lurdiak posted:

Well I think it's worth a shot!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It's all clumsy and as far as I know her correction of "barte" isn't a real world. I think it was supposed to be battre.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Now you know how every spanish speaker feels when superheroes go south of the border.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Open Marriage Night posted:

He would be agonizing about it for at least five pages, and there’s a good possibility it would create a new super villain in some roundabout way.

plz make the FF movie PG-13 and use your one F bomb allowance on "what a revoltin' fuckin' development"

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I know the thread title discourages Liefieldposting, but here's 3 and a half minutes of Stan Lee making GBS threads on his art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that is super, super pro click

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Re reading spider woman and I love the way Javier Rodriguez does the split scenes here

Issue 8

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
From the new Sex Criminals:

Did they all change places between panels?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh,

apparently Zdarsky doesn't know how perspective works. I did not catch that one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

From the new Sex Criminals:

Did they all change places between panels?

Yes, they wanted to make sure Chip followed the 180 rule and knew he couldn't be trusted to do so without help.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oof, that's a pretty silly mistake.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There were separate incidents on either side of the street and they just turned around to look at the other one

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they'd still be in the wrong order
e: glasses tallman isn't in the last panel

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Flesh Forge posted:

they'd still be in the wrong order
e: glasses tallman isn't in the last panel

Well yes Jon buggers off while nobody is looking. That's why the other guy asked where he is.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Glasses Tallman is the “Jon” referenced in the speech bubble.

e: f;b

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 26, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ah

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

SacrificialGoat posted:

I know the thread title discourages Liefieldposting, but here's 3 and a half minutes of Stan Lee making GBS threads on his art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

I have all of those tapes on VHS. I used to watch them over and over (no Overkill jokes please)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

glasses tallman

Is Zdarsky writing this, or Hideo Kojima?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One Punch Man spreads continue to be works of art

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've heard of a destructo disc, but this is ridiculous

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is onomatopoeia in Japanese the same as it is in English? An attempt to phonetically mimic sounds? Or are those characters more like descriptions, e.g. *electricity!* versus *ZAP!*

Edit: I guess I should also just start reading the OPM manga, huh? The second season of the anime was crap and not worth waiting for.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Usually they're onomatopoeia. For example, "doki doki" is heartbeat, "nyan" is a cat's meow, "wan wan" is a dog barking. You also have onomatopoeia for physical conditions and feelings ("mushi mushi" - humid weather, "muka muka" - nausea).

In this case, though, the SFX are "Shiva" (p. 1) and "Vishnu" (p. 2).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Interesting! Thank you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anime adaptations always compromise the art big time compared to the original, but OPM in particular has some seriously amazing art. Murata is so god drat talented :kiss:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
One Punch Man's first season made up for it by having artists put their own takes on shots. The Biceps King scene, for example, looks nothing like the manga, but also looks amazing, with BK himself being much more flexible and sketch-like as he loses his temper symbolising... something or other, I'm no expert. But it looks great.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Season 2 was done on the cheap and it really shows. Hopefully season 3 returns to the original studio because it had some gorgeous art.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Keromaru5 posted:

Usually they're onomatopoeia. For example, "doki doki" is heartbeat, "nyan" is a cat's meow, "wan wan" is a dog barking. You also have onomatopoeia for physical conditions and feelings ("mushi mushi" - humid weather, "muka muka" - nausea).

In this case, though, the SFX are "Shiva" (p. 1) and "Vishnu" (p. 2).

My favourite thing about the "wan wan" onomatopoeia is that it's a common joke to combine it with a transliteration of the English loan word "wonderful", with the meaning ending up being like, "woofterful". As a result, there's an outsized amount of translated anime and manga that has characters bizarrely saying things are "hounderful" or "terruffic" in otherwise normal conversations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Push El Burrito posted:

Season 2 was done on the cheap and it really shows. Hopefully season 3 returns to the original studio because it had some gorgeous art.
S1 was basically a bunch of animators getting together to do something insane. It's lightning in a bottle that's not likely to happen again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Anime adaptations always compromise the art big time compared to the original, but OPM in particular has some seriously amazing art. Murata is so god drat talented :kiss:

If you want to see the flipside, Berserk and the Junji Ito anime don't hold a candle to anything in the original, due to being low budget and incredibly rushed compared to the orginal creators' work. This video is the best comparison of the Junji Ito anime: The Junji Ito Collection is Disappointing Garbage

Ito clearly spent hours on that one panel alone, making her look truly horrifying. The animators obviously draw their counterpart in a rush and then slapped a texture on it, and then didn't even really animate it - it looks like one of those limited animation motion comics when she's on screen.

And Berserk is full of poser-level poo poo like this:

I really, really hate the "2d looking but really 3d" anime trend. It can look good sometimes (Beastars) but still inferior to a truly 2d series. Sadly it's gotten more prevalent as it's (likely) way cheaper and quicker to do.

FilthyImp posted:

S1 was basically a bunch of animators getting together to do something insane. It's lightning in a bottle that's not likely to happen again.

Yeah, there's no way around it, if you want good animation you need drive, skill, budget, and time. There's a good reason we probably won't ever see anything on the level of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or Steam Boy again - it's incredibly expensive, and most anime just doesn't make very much money. And OPM is clearly getting monetized hard, what with the cheap cash in console + mobile games they've churned out lately, so it's clear where the priorities lie.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There'll never be a good modern adaption of Berserk, because it's basically too big in scope and you'd never match the original in terms of artwork.

3D animation was chosen to get as much of the story on screen as possible as cheaply as possible, but it's a complete and utter disservice to the series.

The only way you'd ever be able to do it is with traditional animation to retain that 'gritty' feeling you don't normally see with digital, and you'd have to invest a trillion dollars to get it made.
It'll never happen.

Low quality 3D anime can gently caress off forever