Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Love the game, but jeez the multiplayer needs some work. Most of my time getting into the game is "you've been kicked".
Because they don't have passwords on online games. Like I know this is a game from the 90's but would be cool to have some features from at least 2000?

Also the game lobby rooms are laggy as gently caress. Quick Match is good however, super quick and works like a charm, shame team games are a pain to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh my god I forgot how infuriatingly difficult the NOD campaign is. Almost every mission you don't get a base and the GDI grenadiers just massacre you. I'm having to save after each guy I kill in the mission to assassinate the tiberium scientist.

Thank god it's short. I always liked the GDI campaign more since you can just build tanks and be done with it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I love how comprehensive this remaster is. The amount of content is amazing and I’m glad all the expansions and side missions are in one tidy package.

Aside from some minor annoyances like finding the last remaining guy or dino on some maps to end the mission I’m having a blast.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

TheManWithNoName posted:

I love how comprehensive this remaster is. The amount of content is amazing and I’m glad all the expansions and side missions are in one tidy package.

Aside from some minor annoyances like finding the last remaining guy or dino on some maps to end the mission I’m having a blast.

Some of the maps don't have "All To Hunt" triggers setup but that's been a problem since the original release, far as I can tell they have not changed the missions at all in this remaster

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Spookydonut posted:

Some of the maps don't have "All To Hunt" triggers setup but that's been a problem since the original release, far as I can tell they have not changed the missions at all in this remaster

Yeah I mean it’s fine, I just don’t remember struggling with it back in the day. I guess things look different when you’re 10.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill posted:

Dr. Ignatio Mobius, a madman furthering his own goals? Or just trying to unlock the secret of Tiberium and protect humanity? You decide!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's no way Mobius isn't just C&C version of Wernher von Braun

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I don't know... doesn't this look like a face you can trust?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Something curious about is what are the exact mechanics of Tiberium spread. I know it's something like every X time there's a chance for the tiberium to spread from adjacent tiles or something like that? Just curious what the precise mechanics are.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

It's true. At this point, no one understands Tiberium.

quote:

Later in GDI Mission 12A you've got to evacuate Dr. Mobius from an under siege GDI base, he is standing outside a Hospital which is located next to a Prison... has Mobius been conducting human testing on the prison population?

The area was already infested when he arrived. Doesn't the mission state they were all sick of Tiberium poisoning and they're studying it?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Alkydere posted:

Something curious about is what are the exact mechanics of Tiberium spread. I know it's something like every X time there's a chance for the tiberium to spread from adjacent tiles or something like that? Just curious what the precise mechanics are.

Only tiberium in overlay state > 6 can spread. Goes from 1 to 12

Every map tick 1 randomly selected tiberium patch will increase their growth state by 1, in TFAST mode its 2 patches.

Every map tick it finds a random >6 state patch and finds a pseudo random spot it can spread to and adds a state 1 patch there

Edit: also it can't spread over bridges

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/MAP.CPP#L899

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tezzeract posted:

Loving the remake so far - I was more of a Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2 guy, but this owns.

Same all around. Loving it. Awaiting patches and cool mods. Hope it does well because I am loving desperate for TibSun/RA2

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Same all around. Loving it. Awaiting patches and cool mods. Hope it does well because I am loving desperate for TibSun/RA2

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I have to say that I do really like the map sizes and in turn the pace of the game.

It's kinda nice to not have multi hour long slogs through a single mission just due to ever expanding scope creep.

I'm playing on casual (cos I'm here purely for the nostalgia) but getting through a level in 20 minutes so i can go off and do something else after is pretty refreshing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Several questions:

- Can I do 2v2 quickmatch in RA with a friend?

- How do I invite friends to my lobbies, I see no buttons for it?

- Anyone else having weird inconsistent Edge-of-Screen cursor movement? Top and left edges move fine when I drag the cursor on them, but bottom and right...don't?

- Is there a hotkey for multiple unit waypoints? Like a way to tell them Move to A, then move to B? Seems like this would be a way to work around ancient pathfinding.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Several questions:

- Can I do 2v2 quickmatch in RA with a friend?

- How do I invite friends to my lobbies, I see no buttons for it?

- Anyone else having weird inconsistent Edge-of-Screen cursor movement? Top and left edges move fine when I drag the cursor on them, but bottom and right...don't?

- Is there a hotkey for multiple unit waypoints? Like a way to tell them Move to A, then move to B? Seems like this would be a way to work around ancient pathfinding.

1. Nope (Multiplayer is backwards as gently caress right now, can't even password games. Hence a large amount of game kicks.) Quick Match is just for 1v1 as well.

2. You can't!

3. Nope

4. No Waypoints!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Argh, this Allied mission 10 where you go inside the command center, while cool, is perfectly engineered to piss the player off. So many gotcha dog placements and patrols.

I know that you need to go south to get Tanya but once you get there the 20 minutes you had in the mission are suddenly 10, and you need to go to 4 stations in each of the corners. This is a micromanagement nightmare.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Argh, this Allied mission 10 where you go inside the command center, while cool, is perfectly engineered to piss the player off. So many gotcha dog placements and patrols.

I know that you need to go south to get Tanya but once you get there the 20 minutes you had in the mission are suddenly 10, and you need to go to 4 stations in each of the corners. This is a micromanagement nightmare.

I you're really strapped for time, you could try redoing the outside mission to get more time - the timer carries over. IIRC it's fairly doable to capture the command center with 30 minutes left.

Of course, this also means it's completely possible to start the indoor part with an impossible time limit (<10min). This could potentially softlock the original campaign, if you hadn't been good about using multiple saves. (Not that I would know anything about that).

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do the preceding mission again. I got a really good run where I got three of the four launch consoles but I could not make it to the fourth one in time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nostalgamus posted:

Just reached GDI mission 4, and...

You can order a whole group of infantry into an APC now.

I decided to challenge myself by doing the mission 4 where you have to protect the village.

Took five goes, by the end I had one APC and a single Grenader left trying to kill a Light tank. But I did it.

I think the idea is “Use your APC’s to squash Nod Infantry. Don’t let the Nod tanks squash yours.” But that mission was hard.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Village mission is fairly easy, just rush straight to the village.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Man, the GDI campaign really doesn’t want you to be able to build tanks, huh

Super annoying that you can’t build tanks until more than halfway through the campaign but Nod can squish your soldiers with reckless abandon using light tanks by Mission 4

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This is a remaster of the first two games in the series, correct?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dunno why it's only got three stars, but there's already a mod that lets you space out your buildings and you know I am subscribing to that asap. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2122093636
Now for someone to mod in rally points...

E: Ah, looks like it breaks the modern wall-building mod since each code change completely replaces the .dll.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Man, the GDI campaign really doesn’t want you to be able to build tanks, huh

Super annoying that you can’t build tanks until more than halfway through the campaign but Nod can squish your soldiers with reckless abandon using light tanks by Mission 4

The thought process behind the design of both campaigns is basically annoy the player as much as possible, old school style.

I've just completed Nod map 6.c (Nigeria) and it was just a colossal pain in the rear end to complete.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually somewhat impressed with the AI, I had to stop and pause GDI Mission 10 and played through a skirmish mission while listening to a podcast, but noticed that they do a pretty decent job of forcing you to a standstill or at least denying you a complete and total victory with the constant harassment. True to form considering as GDI you're fighting a terrorist group and all.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Angry Lobster posted:

The thought process behind the design of both campaigns is basically annoy the player as much as possible, old school style.

I've just completed Nod map 6.c (Nigeria) and it was just a colossal pain in the rear end to complete.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it let you build rocket infantry a little earlier (I think I got access to them like one mission earlier than the medium tank), but as it stands your only anti-tank option leading up to that is grenadiers, and if they don’t get squished by the Nod light tanks they’ll probably blow themselves up by standing too close to their own explosions

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'm trying to work out the deal with the hit boxes ... were they always so large? I never remembered it being an issue when I was a kid playing C&C but with this its so easy to accidentally click units when you're trying to issue move orders to other units etc. I'm assuming it was an issue and I just don't remember what it was like rather than it being something a bit off with the remaster?

Besides that, man this is the craziest nostalgia trip I've had in a long time

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyshall posted:

This is a remaster of the first two games in the series, correct?

By chronological order, yes. By continuity order, it's the first game in each timeline.

I wouldn't be surprised if the success of this makes them do TibSun/RA2 in a bundle next.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like a TS/RA2 bundle would definitely be more work, but I'd also pay $30+ for that and if they open-sourced the code for those games too, then oooooooh baby.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im a mechanical man

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

I feel like a TS/RA2 bundle would definitely be more work, but I'd also pay $30+ for that and if they open-sourced the code for those games too, then oooooooh baby.

RA2 wouldn't be that hard, simply because it already pretty much runs fine on Win10 with some tweaking and already has a lot of the Remastered QOL improvements stock. The only extra stuff it would strictly need is UI scaling and menus that support high-res instead of being stuck in the top left corner of the screen.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Taintrunner posted:

I'm actually somewhat impressed with the AI, I had to stop and pause GDI Mission 10 and played through a skirmish mission while listening to a podcast, but noticed that they do a pretty decent job of forcing you to a standstill or at least denying you a complete and total victory with the constant harassment. True to form considering as GDI you're fighting a terrorist group and all.

I started a 1v1 skirmish with medium AI and within like four minutes they engineer captured my con yard while my army was fighting elsewhere lol

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Mordja posted:

I think it's actually a lot less work, as they won't need a complete graphics overhaul, and I'd reckon most original assets are still easily available for EA. RA2/TS are also pretty much playable right out of the box with practically no issues, so a remaster wouldn't add that much.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

I have not tried it yet but here is a mod for new pathfinding in TibDawn only (at the moment) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121899275

quote:

This mod replaces the "crash and turn" pathfinding in Tiberian Dawn with a simple implementation of A*. Generally this means that your units wont get lost or stick to edges when moving around the map.

*** WARNING ***
I have been testing this where I can, but use at your own risk. This may potentially break missions or just fail to function.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Samopsa posted:

I think it's actually a lot less work, as they won't need a complete graphics overhaul, and I'd reckon most original assets are still easily available for EA. RA2/TS are also pretty much playable right out of the box with practically no issues, so a remaster wouldn't add that much.

Except that I imagine they would do a full graphical overhaul because otherwsie what's the point, and that's where the work would be, simply because the later games have way more unique assets to be remade. I dunno, maybe I'm overestimating things, but I also think the very different art styles between the two games would also require more care. :shrug:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 7, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im a mechanical man

:hmmyes:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Any way of extracting the new soundtrack from the game files? These remastered tracks, like the originals, fuckin' slap.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mordja posted:

Well if the video of them looking for the original FMV master tapes is anything to go by, they have what looks like the Master Tapes for the RA 2 FMV's* so at least they wouldn't have to spend crazy money upscalling lovely copies of the FMV's.

* = Also going by that video they had masters for Dune 2000.
So they could throw that in with the Tib Sun/ RA 2 remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
A nice mod would be one that bumps up Tiberium regen a bit. Last night playing PvE I ran into the classic problem where everyone snarfs up the Tiberium so it's a combination of harvesters going all over the map to scrape up 1 or 2 blocks worth, and the armies being reduced to selling buildings for riflemen and whatever vehicles you have left just to sit in a stalemate.