Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lol, New York Post.

The actual CSIS report at https://beyondparallel.csis.org/sil-li-ballistic-missile-support-facility/ doesn't explicitly draw the "for firing nukes that can hit US" conclusion, although it does make it sound like a plausible possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cool, we haven't had dumb rumors about North Korea since (checks notes) two days ago.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mystes posted:

Cool, we haven't had dumb rumors about North Korea since (checks notes) two days ago.

There's more where that came from: https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/kim-jong-un-was-once-filmed-talking-to-possible-body-doubles/

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Silver2195 posted:

Lol, New York Post.

The actual CSIS report at https://beyondparallel.csis.org/sil-li-ballistic-missile-support-facility/ doesn't explicitly draw the "for firing nukes that can hit US" conclusion, although it does make it sound like a plausible possibility.

Why do people still use New York Post as a source

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Starting to regret today's haircut

https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1258590232896626689

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm surprised they don't just shut the clubs down. They're uniquely awful vectors that seem to attract large numbers of the exact kind of young idiot who thinks they aren't in danger of getting infected.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So North Korea threatened to close that inter-liason office if the anti DPRK leaflets crossing over weren't stop. South Korea immediatly took the bait

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1268456167665090560

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1268296509121892352

Only for North Korea to tell them to go gently caress themselves

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1268915415498948608

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know strictly speaking even if these anti-North Korean orgs were just distributing blank pieces of paper or ones with cute cat drawings on them North Korea's probably pretty justified in getting mad just because it's litter. South Korean people aren't allowed to just deluge their own cities with as many random leaflets as they can afford to print.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Look it's worked great so far. Another river coated in wet paper and that regime's toppling any day, folks.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

South Koreans living near the place are also angry/frustrated as well seeing as how it results in litter in the sea and the ground that they have to clean up

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

You know strictly speaking even if these anti-North Korean orgs were just distributing blank pieces of paper or ones with cute cat drawings on them North Korea's probably pretty justified in getting mad just because it's litter. South Korean people aren't allowed to just deluge their own cities with as many random leaflets as they can afford to print.

Actually every Korean city I've ever been in has those maniacs on scooters tossing buisness cards like shurikens at doors. Every doorstep is covered in those stupid cards and ads every day.

Still, point stands, I'd be annoyed if someone was leafleting my neighborhood.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

South Korea has moped guys that drive around flinging business cards at doorways as part of marketing/advertising for a local dining spot. They dont give a gently caress about littering lol.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/GalloVOA/status/1270104902178680835

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mekchu posted:

South Korea has moped guys that drive around flinging business cards at doorways as part of marketing/advertising for a local dining spot. They dont give a gently caress about littering lol.

Those guys operate on the very edge of legality and do get approached by police if they get to be too much of a nuisance. The propaganda leaflets are several scales of magnitude worse than any moped guy to the point that, as was mentioned a few posts above yours, even people south of the DMZ complain about the ones they get stuck with just due to accidental blowback.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In less petty shitposty news thread regulars may or may not be interested to learn that are a whole bunch of political real estate scandals scandals in South Korea right now. The one that's kind of searchable in English is the House of Sharing scandal. The House of Sharing is the preeminent comfort woman charity in South Korea and is responsible for, among other things, their housing. One comfort woman started yelling at them for basically just completely sucking at their stated goal of providing halfway decent living standards for comfort women or even doing much to preserve their personal possessions which are essentially historical objects.

The other scandal that's much bigger locally but seems to have no English language presence at all involves a Congresswoman with no party affiliations (Yang Jeongsuk, not that knowing her name will do you any good) has some extremely shady real estate connections and the only obvious explanation for them is that they're being used as a form of bribery. This issue has expanded so that many lawmakers in both major parties are now known to have similarly shady real estate connections that are better hidden than Yang Jeongsuk's but seem to exist for the exact same purpose.

Interestingly neither of these issues are proving much of a legitimacy crisis for the leading party that just won a landslide in the previous elections, in part because the right-wingers have abused these technicalities as much as they have, if not more. In addition the ruling party has a fairly strong reputation for actually prosecuting this kind of white collar crime sooner or later. The point being that even if they don't, reactionaries aren't really in a position to attack on this issue. it's too obviously a case of throwing stones from your glass house.

In other news that can't be searched in English for very different reasons, Kim Jong Un still isn't dead. And the South Korean reactionaries who fed obviously bullshit information to the international English press regarding this incident are facing domestic scrutiny for this. The international English language press is, unsurprisingly, doing their best to hope people forget their extremely blatant role in spreading fake news.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

No bites eh..? Well can't say I'm surprised.

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1271511165294632961?p=v

Gotta love how the idea of introducing legislation to actually end the Korean War is totally verboten and a completely unreasonable demand on North Korea's part but by golly there's nothing stopping the Senate from passing resolutions to remind us that it still exists.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has anyone straight up asked anyone in say, the Obama era State Department what prevents agreeing to a formal peace treaty and normalizing relations without touching anything else that can't be touched anyways? Clearly not giving it to them doesn't work, might as well clear it off the table.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Maybe because a peace treaty would be admitting defeat. They love to point out Vietnam doesn't count as a defeat in war because it was never officially a war. Korea was official and would be an official defeat to back down.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's the same reason China won't sign a peace treaty with Taiwan; a peace treaty essentially signifies via international law that the second party is a legitimate state actor. The end of the war would also throw almost all of the US's Korean bases up in the air on their legality; they would likely need to resign agreements for troops and the bases and etc, something that China, as the regional power, would love to gently caress up in any way possible.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The great irony of that being, of course, that our entire intervention in the Korean War was predicated on the notion that North Korea and South Korea were both legitimate state actors as only legitimate state actors can invade each other and fall afoul of United Nations rules prohibiting such behavior.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/OliverHotham/status/1271804057917591553

I can't wait to see the "experts" freak out over the next month on what NK may do, and it turns out to be nothing, similar to that "Christmas present"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

It's the same reason China won't sign a peace treaty with Taiwan; a peace treaty essentially signifies via international law that the second party is a legitimate state actor. The end of the war would also throw almost all of the US's Korean bases up in the air on their legality; they would likely need to resign agreements for troops and the bases and etc, something that China, as the regional power, would love to gently caress up in any way possible.

I mean, there's a pretty big difference here. If Korea went just like the CCW then the DPRK would've had driven the ROK to Seju.

The DPRK/ROK situation doesn't really have on the table the idea of unification being one or the other being subjugated to the other (though I think most professionals think eventually the ROK will win out if/when the DPRK does eventually throw in the towel), but hopes of maybe ending the war and transitioning to a sort of pan-Korea federation between two co-equal nations.

China's position/hope is either they become so economically powerful that they "win" the same way the US/EU "won" the cold war through affluence and cross cultural soft power and economic links; or their worst case scenario but one they are increasingly prepared to deal with if need be is armed force; fundamentally a generally sober idea that they can if need be, settle the issue in their favour one way or another; they're fairly incomparable.

If you mean to compare China with the US, I don't think it really works, China ultimately wants Taiwan, the US doesn't ultimately care about the existence of two or 10 states in Korea and are arguably more concerned about Korean unification on China's terms which ultimately deals a blow to US influence and prestige which results in reluctance to do anything because it's like touching a hot stove.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

One of the more obnoxious aspects of this leaflet controversy is all the Korea watchers are taking this opportunity to identify North Korean defectors as a single monolithic group with the same interests and implying that they all support sending out leaflets. In fact reactionary North Korean defectors committed to this kind of spiteful political action are in the minority and other defectors, particularly the younger ones, have spent years at this point trying to walk back that image because they consider it to be embarrassing, in the same way you would consider the insane political opinions of your Thanksgiving uncle to be embarrassing.

A major drama from a few months back, Crash Landing on You, was popular in part because it promoted an alternate image of North Koreans as just being generally normal, chill people who come from a radically different social culture. It received a lot of praise from non reactionary defectors (think Twitch streamers) for being accurate in subtle ways most media depicting North Korea isn't. So it's a little galling seeing the usual Korea watcher experts rehash talking points from ten or twenty years ago about how all defectors love leaflets without showing the slightest hint of awareness that the cultural and political situation has changed a lot in regards to defectors.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/OliverHotham/status/1271804057917591553

I can't wait to see the "experts" freak out over the next month on what NK may do, and it turns out to be nothing, similar to that "Christmas present"

The hope is it'll be another couple nuke tests a demand to ease sanctions and another KJU health scare but no bombs hitting anything but a north korean fishing boat.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The hope is it'll be another couple nuke tests a demand to ease sanctions and another KJU health scare but no bombs hitting anything but a north korean fishing boat.

I don't think we're going to be seeing any nuke tests, considering even China hates them.

Korean watchers are already coming up with poo poo that NK might do, including assassinations on those involve with the leaflet campaign or blowing up the liason office

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

In other news that can't be searched in English for very different reasons, Kim Jong Un still isn't dead. And the South Korean reactionaries who fed obviously bullshit information to the international English press regarding this incident are facing domestic scrutiny for this. The international English language press is, unsurprisingly, doing their best to hope people forget their extremely blatant role in spreading fake news.

What kind of domestic scrutiny? It would warm my heart to see them get relegated to the cuckoo corner.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
What's on these pamphlets? Does anyone have a picture of them?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

What kind of domestic scrutiny? It would warm my heart to see them get relegated to the cuckoo corner.

Nothing that impressive as far as I can tell. I just saw some journalists on TV badgering people who were involved in spreading it.

Shadow0 posted:

What's on these pamphlets? Does anyone have a picture of them?

https://twitter.com/Leahelloo/status/1269517532001562625/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Leahelloo/status/1269521917456773120?p=v

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

They should make a video like the CIA tried to do to Sukarno.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1272455606058745856

These loving Korean watchers are so loving gullible. They take every single statement North Korea puts out literally

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yo Jong seems way more militant than her brother, at least given what we've seen from her over the past year or so, so it isn't completely unbelievable that she's pushing for a way more hardline approach than in the past.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Yo Jong seems way more militant than her brother, at least given what we've seen from her over the past year or so, so it isn't completely unbelievable that she's pushing for a way more hardline approach than in the past.

What can they do that won't immediately lead to another conflict between the North and South?

I really don't think China wants an open conflict between the two either.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 15, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grapplejack posted:

She's establishing rapport with the real runners of the country. The generals. With the levels of lack of food etc being loyal to a general means more than being loyal to KJU. Because that general can bribe you with food and family assistance moreso.

So YJU must take a hardline approach to ensure that those elements know "who's on their side" when the time comes for a shift in leadership.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1272634478985281536

Surprise, this is probably the act Yo Jong was talking about.

Once again, Korean watchers overblew the propaganda

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVqmOFMqsCw

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's being reported that the liaison office did get blown up

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1272785997944598528

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Digging the cheesy soundtrack and wipes. It's like we're back in the gay nineties. I was kind of curious about the reference being made by the guy at the end to other pizza restaurants in Pyongyang. Exactly how many are there?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kassad posted:

It's being reported that the liaison office did get blown up

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1272785997944598528
Well poo poo. Now what?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

She's establishing rapport with the real runners of the country. The generals. With the levels of lack of food etc being loyal to a general means more than being loyal to KJU. Because that general can bribe you with food and family assistance moreso.

So YJU must take a hardline approach to ensure that those elements know "who's on their side" when the time comes for a shift in leadership.

They say that the torpedoing of the Choenan and the shelling of Yeonpyeong were ordered by Kim Jung Un to show the generals he was strong enough to lead.

I don't think that South Korea as it is today would just take an attack of the magnitude of the Choenan sinking without retaliating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Well poo poo. Now what?

According to KCNA, their military is going to reenter and reoccupy the DMZ.

They aren't pushing for war though. They clearly want concessions from the South without them having to go through Trump