Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/kinematografi/status/1269350027610206208?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Smash it.

It’s performance art.

Remember when Bansky shredded that painting (print?)?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Knormal posted:

if I remember right even then they just showed him holding hands with another man.

There seems to be a weird reluctance to show two men kissing on TV. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I feel like there are a bunch of shows where gay/bi women kiss each other onscreen but almost none where gay/bi men kiss each other.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I have no intention of watching Black Mirror because it comes off like that photoshop of a bunch of pills but they all have app logos on them

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

There's some Black Mirror episodes worth watching. San Junipero and the one with Miley Cyrus, probably a couple others too.
The choose your own adventure movie was pretty bad though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Metal Gear repeatedly calls out America's actions within the series as lovely. A major point of MGS3 was America basically forcing someone to be a sacrificial lamb, which eventually rippled outward and caused every villain later in the timeline, directly or indirectly. The military-industrial complex and war economy are also decried as a horrific waste of human life and resources.

Ground Zeroes even takes place entirely on Guantanamo Bay, with graphic torture and prisoner executions.

i dont think you read the post i was responding to all the way :p

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I liked the one where the woman wakes up and everyone is filming her with their mobile phones, coz it turns out she is a child murderer, and her punishment is to be tortured psychologically whilst tourists come and film her

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I liked the one where the woman wakes up and everyone is filming her with their mobile phones, coz it turns out she is a child murderer, and her punishment is to be tortured psychologically whilst tourists come and film her

Black Mirror is such a loving dumb show. Every single episode falls apart completely if you think about it for five seconds. Well, except for the ones that don't even hold up that long. It's got the depth and sophistication of a show written to teach simple moral lessons to children but pretends to be serious social commentary for adults.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer the og Twilight Zone :colbert:

I will not be taking questions at this time

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tiggum posted:

Black Mirror is such a loving dumb show. Every single episode falls apart completely if you think about it for five seconds.
Yes unlike all other media which has no issues or plot holes at all

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll be honest, I saw the first few seasons of Black Mirror before it went netflix and while it was OK, Humans was a more interesting show by the end, about human like robots and how people react to them. It had an interesting subplot that actually went places where before he was fully aware that their robot was sapient (although of course the kids caught on early), the father activates the Adult-only mode and sleeps with the robot. Everyone is super horrified because she's humanlike enough even without sapience that they're like "You seriously had sex with something that couldn't give informed consent? (plus cheating on the mum with the robot didn't help)" especially since he tries to let his son take the blame for the mode being activated (because it's a red herring that the son's kind of crushing on the robot, he just respects her enough not to do that poo poo) The whole family basically kick the father out at that point and sever ties with him for a while before he starts to try to make up for his mistake. Something I liked about the situation was that the wife never blames the robot for what happened, she doesn't get all weird about machines stealing her husband or anything, she puts the blame directly where it belongs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can never watch Black Mirror because I just think of the Chapo riffs on it (“Wot if your mate was a TV? Wot if your dog plugged into a wall?”) and all of these descriptions make it seems spot on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Black mirror bums me out because every season has like 2 good episodes. It’s enough to get me to watch it to find those 2 good episodes, but the remaining 75 percent of the season sucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yes unlike all other media which has no issues or plot holes at all

Yep, you got me. This is my actual opinion. Every show is good except for Black Mirror.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people treat black mirror as if it's trying to be biting commentary all of the time but it's mainly just an anthology show like the twilight zone or are you afraid of the dark where it's characters getting put into weird/scary/spooky situations without needing to shore up every plot point as to why poo poo happens. it's just replacing the alien and supernatural with technology so futuristic that it's basically the same thing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the Miley Cyrus/Nine Inch Nails episode. I don't remember anything about the episode, mind you, but I liked the Nails remixes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of a theme in that game is that by then you're well past the point where you were the good guy.

Also there's a pretty huge difference between what Big Boss is doing in that game and chattel slavery.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually a perfectly decent show, and better than a lot of other ones. It's just a spooky horror show,

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
OG Twilight Zone probably had just as high a rate of bad episodes or goofy ideas as Black Mirror - but a show with two dozen episodes a season can get away with being hit or miss. A show with, like, three episodes a year, you expect each of them to have more thought put into them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pick posted:

It's actually a perfectly decent show, and better than a lot of other ones. It's just a spooky horror show,

The episode where everyone has a social-media score, bolstered by "likes" in real life, and it acts like a credit score on meth, bad scores gate-keeping you from getting decent housing, jobs, services etc, where people have to slavishly suck up to the popular people with outstanding scores to bolster their own is creepy and feels too much like something that might really happen

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Elviscat posted:

The episode where everyone has a social-media score, bolstered by "likes" in real life, and it acts like a credit score on meth, bad scores gate-keeping you from getting decent housing, jobs, services etc, where people have to slavishly suck up to the popular people with outstanding scores to bolster their own is creepy and feels too much like something that might really happen

This has been tried, look up how pissed people rightfully were about an app called “Peepl” and discussed how it could be used to discriminate.

Regarding Star Trek: go back and watch Garak’s introduction on DS9, how he chats up Bashir, and how Bashir goes running excited to the bridge to tell everyone Garak talked to him! I’m convinced Bashir was given a Bond obsession and shown dating women frequently later on to quash the way he was clearly smitten with Garak (and it’s clear from the first moment Garak approaches him the feeling was mutual, imo).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Isn't that also China's social credit system basically?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

Yeah I haven't actually seen that many episodes but I saw that one and it seemed more likely than not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Regarding Star Trek: go back and watch Garak’s introduction on DS9, how he chats up Bashir, and how Bashir goes running excited to the bridge to tell everyone Garak talked to him! I’m convinced Bashir was given a Bond obsession and shown dating women frequently later on to quash the way he was clearly smitten with Garak (and it’s clear from the first moment Garak approaches him the feeling was mutual, imo).

This is literally what happened, the writers were told to give them fewer scenes together by guy-who-is-given-too-much-specific-flack-since-he-wasn't-the-only-rear end in a top hat-working-on-star-trek but yes, in this case, literally Rick Berman. In fact, the final scene of them saying goodbye (which is also Garak's last scene in the show, so, the last appearance of the character usually rated as the most popular in the entire series) was cut from the original airing of the finale and only later spliced back in, because it was a scene with him and Bashir.

The guy who played Garak in particular has been super upfront about this. Oh well, at least he got to write his beta canon novel where Rick Berman couldn't get in his way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Orville has an episode like that where there was a planet of people that upvoted/downvoted each other and everything was settled by majority vote. It was a pretty good episode, felt cheesy in the same way the Star Trek original series did.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Elviscat posted:

There's an episode of community that had a really similar plot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the Gumball episode with the site that rated everything and everyone.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Years ago, I worked at a store near the Bath and Body Works corporate headquarters. They gave out promotional ball caps to their employees that just had the initials of the company in big block letters. Absolutely lost my poo poo at a group of old upper management type guys out to lunch all wearing hats that said "BBW" on them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

There's an episode of community that had a really similar plot.

yeah the MeowMeowBeenz episode felt the most realistic honestly, except the part where it ever ends

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Yep, you got me. This is my actual opinion. Every show is good except for Black Mirror.

Well poo poo, you liked Iron Fist, maybe this is actually your opinion.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1269729709585244162

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

There's some Black Mirror episodes worth watching. San Junipero and the one with Miley Cyrus, probably a couple others too.
The choose your own adventure movie was pretty bad though.

I’m indifferent to Black Mirror but Bandersnatch (the CYOA) was one of the best things they put out imo. It wasn’t trying to be overly self-serious, but it was really interesting with some intense scenes. The Miley Cyrus episode I thought was weak and corny, with some really eye-rolling and tired attitudes about pop music and a wacky foul-mouthed AI sidekick.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jun 8, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, I saw the first few seasons of Black Mirror before it went netflix and while it was OK, Humans was a more interesting show by the end, about human like robots and how people react to them. It had an interesting subplot that actually went places where before he was fully aware that their robot was sapient (although of course the kids caught on early), the father activates the Adult-only mode and sleeps with the robot. Everyone is super horrified because she's humanlike enough even without sapience that they're like "You seriously had sex with something that couldn't give informed consent? (plus cheating on the mum with the robot didn't help)" especially since he tries to let his son take the blame for the mode being activated (because it's a red herring that the son's kind of crushing on the robot, he just respects her enough not to do that poo poo) The whole family basically kick the father out at that point and sever ties with him for a while before he starts to try to make up for his mistake. Something I liked about the situation was that the wife never blames the robot for what happened, she doesn't get all weird about machines stealing her husband or anything, she puts the blame directly where it belongs.

Yeah, but that show has a really dumb thing where being a robosexual is a thing, and the kid's parents just have to accept that. Although that might have been only a thing for the original Swedish show.

Also, some people getting upset and suing a club that they can't bring what are essentially highly advanced sex dolls to a club

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jun 8, 2020

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Different BM episodes appeal to different people. I broadly enjoy the show but would only say that I truly like about half the episodes. White Bear, the Christmas episode with Jon Hamm, and San Junipero are all excellent.

Don't watch the episode with the robot bees though, that one is peak "What if phones but too much".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what if bees, but computer

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Six Million Merits was pretty good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

What if your mum ran on batteries

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dragonwagon posted:

How the gently caress is this guy even real. He's like a living caricature.

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1268886173348495365

I want to believe this is some incredibly elaborate troll because no one person could be this stupid but that's the internet for you

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I want to believe this is some incredibly elaborate troll because no one person could be this stupid but that's the internet for you

i think someone can easily be that stupid, it's just less likely to me that someone could be this hilariously stupid-
but also yeah we get to see literally billions of posters out there so we're gonna get a few, extremely hilarious, edge cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but that show has a really dumb thing where being a robosexual is a thing, and the kid's parents just have to accept that. Although that might have been only a thing for the original Swedish show.

Also, some people getting upset and suing a club that they can't bring what are essentially highly advanced sex dolls to a club