Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Yes, quite often:

FF4 - DK Cecil's gear is all Dark Element, doing Dark Elemental damage when attacking physically
FF9 - It's called Shadow instead of Dark, and is attached to various spells, gear, add-ons, and two Summons
FF11 - A lot of poo poo uses it
FF12 - It's an element attached to spells, attacks, gear, and Espers
FF14 - Like 9, it has a different name, Umbral, and is mostly attached to spells
FF15 - Only enemy Daemons have access to Spells/Skills/Gear that uses Dark
FFT - The Summon, Lich, is Dark Element
FFTA - Mostly attached to weapons, though 2 spells also use it
FFTA2 - Like 11, a lot of poo poo uses it

Actually, Dark in XIV is Astral, not Umbral. At least, it is as of the last expansion. Considering the etymology of "Umbral", that just makes it super confusing, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Actually, Dark in XIV is Astral, not Umbral. At least, it is as of the last expansion. Considering the etymology of "Umbral", that just makes it super confusing, but there it is.

No it’s not? the point they’re making in shadowbringers is that the eorzeans were wrong about what light and dark energies do, in that umbral/shadow represents growth and astral/light represents stasis rather than destruction and creation, not that they were wrong about which element was which.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No it’s not? the point they’re making in shadowbringers is that the eorzeans were wrong about what light and dark energies do, in that umbral/shadow represents growth and astral/light represents stasis rather than destruction and creation, not that they were wrong about which element was which.

Yeah, Eorzeans were wrong in thinking that darkness is umbral (stasis), isn't it? Didn't Alphinaud specifically use the phrase "astral darkness" when Urianger explained his discovery?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Sir SamVimes beat me to the punch, but to elaborate more on it, the Astral/Umbral divide in Sharlayan terminology gets the elements reversed because of cultural associations with what is and isn't good. For instance, "Astral" eras are periods of life and flourishing, as opposed to "Umbral" calamities, but that has nothing to do with the actual elemental affinity of the Calamities, which we see in Shadowbringers can be associated with Light as well as Darkness. In Norvrandt, "Dark" represents the same thing as "Astral" energy, and the rest of Shadowbringers goes on to casually assume that Norvrandt had it right and that the Sharlayans had it wrong.

edit: Maybe better to bring this into the FFXIV thread in the MMO HMO, so that we don't turn the LP into a CIA document for a game that Elentor isn't even playing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't forget that Final Fantasy: Vagrant Story exists and also has Dark, thanks in advance.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This discussion got Dark fast.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Xarbala posted:

This discussion got Dark fast.

:rimshot:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Elentor posted:

Please don't forget that Final Fantasy: Vagrant Story exists and also has Dark, thanks in advance.

Only in your heart.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Elentor posted:

And Secret of Mana!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I hope they keep the rad submarine and snowboarding mini games. I loved those when I was younger so don't tell me they actually sucked.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ilmucche posted:

I hope they keep the rad submarine and snowboarding mini games. I loved those when I was younger so don't tell me they actually sucked.

No they were rad. Submarine moreso than the snowboard.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think I've ever done the submarine minigame "legit". If you fire a couple torpedos right as the game starts you sink the other submarine in about 3 seconds. The one time I didn't do that I immediately lost track of it and couldn't tell what the hell was going on.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

Don't worry, Remake keeps up the proud tradition of "Oh good lord this is a terrible minigame" from the original.

I can't wait for Chocobo racing. /sarcasm

Yeah, the original was so full of minigames. It's why I can't go back and replay it now.

ilmucche posted:

Every mini game in FF7O was bad HTH

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The worst minigames in the Final Fantasy VII universe are still better than the best ones in Spira

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The worst minigames in the Final Fantasy VII universe are still better than the best ones in Spira

The lightning bolts one legit caused people to throw their controllers and break them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

silvergoose posted:

The lightning bolts one legit caused people to throw their controllers and break them.

Even the butterfly one was a pain in the dick, and let's not even mention the Chocobo trainer. That's when I finally went "I guess I don't really want the Celestial weapons"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In the version we had in the UK I think there was at least one Celestial Weapon that you couldn't get without facing a Dark Aeon (I said dark, so I'm not off topic!)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Hot take: all mini-games are bastards.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It never took me more than a couple of tries to get 0.0.0 or the butterfly catching (there's a map on gamefaqs, I just follow it on the minimap).

I'd take twenty CPR minigames over Lightning Dodger though.

And Drownball is fun :colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The biggest "gently caress you" of X is that even with all the boosters in the Steam version, you still need to jump through all the ridiculous hoops for the Celestial Weapons (from what I understand)

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Ace Transmuter posted:

It never took me more than a couple of tries to get 0.0.0 or the butterfly catching (there's a map on gamefaqs, I just follow it on the minimap).

I'd take twenty CPR minigames over Lightning Dodger though.

And Drownball is fun :colbert:

I enjoyed playing Blitzball but I don't remember if it was actually enjoying the game itself or enjoying the catharsis of "solving" the tactical puzzle, i.e. training everybody else on the team to be good throwers/catchers and getting the ball to Tidus. I understand that there are apparently powerful players out there you can recruit but that always worked for me, I wanted to take the Aurochs to victory.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

RudeCat posted:

I enjoyed playing Blitzball but I don't remember if it was actually enjoying the game itself or enjoying the catharsis of "solving" the tactical puzzle, i.e. training everybody else on the team to be good throwers/catchers and getting the ball to Tidus. I understand that there are apparently powerful players out there you can recruit but that always worked for me, I wanted to take the Aurochs to victory.

Datto gains quite a bit of speed as he levels up, so he becomes a pretty good shooter just because he can outrun anyone who isn't an Al Bhed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Aerdan posted:

Hot take: all mini-games are bastards.

In 1997 I was legit impressed with the Fort Condor tower defense thing, it's like a whole other game inside an already game!! I am actually interested how that will be interpreted in Episode Two when it comes out in 2025.

(Have we actually heard anything about future episodes or is Squenix still waiting to see how this one shakes out financially?)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Takes No Damage posted:

In 1997 I was legit impressed with the Fort Condor tower defense thing, it's like a whole other game inside an already game!! I am actually interested how that will be interpreted in Episode Two when it comes out in 2025.

(Have we actually heard anything about future episodes or is Squenix still waiting to see how this one shakes out financially?)

The Fort Condor game was the worst of all minigames, both within FF7 and also in anything, ever.

Just awful. There may have been a certain bastard loving frustrating minigame in Remake which caused me to curse at my television, but at least the "required" part was over very fast and the soundtrack was bangin'.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

I think that they're more taking their time listening to feedback and preparing for the future. The only major topics that'd need the most attention would be adapting Cait Sith and Red XIII's movesets to the combat system, as they are the only non-humanoid party members. Cid could take whatever staff animations Aerith uses and make them more offense oriented, Vincent could easily adapt Barret's gun animations to a pistol (or borrow Rufus' shotgun animations, for that matter), and I doubt that Yuffie's shuriken would be a hassle to deal with. After that, it'd be more building environments and cutscene animation than story telling. Plus, there's the whole PS5 hovering overhead that I imagine would take time for the team to learn the architecture and what the hardware can do. So yeah, part 2 is probably not going to take as long as this one, provided Square Enix doesn't have a moment where they tear everything down and rebuild from scratch again like what happened with this game.

That said, gently caress Fort Condor into the ground forever and ever, thank you very much.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't mind fort condor, aside from having to wait 5 minutes for my token resistance to die and the boss to step up and wait to get their rear end kicked personally.

Also the 50 separate "Go hit the event flag half a world away and take the buggy or bronco back to fort condor for a tissue level joke item"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

The Fort Condor game was the worst of all minigames, both within FF7 and also in anything, ever.

Just awful. There may have been a certain bastard loving frustrating minigame in Remake which caused me to curse at my television, but at least the "required" part was over very fast and the soundtrack was bangin'.

AradoBalanga posted:

gently caress Fort Condor into the ground forever and ever, thank you very much.

Oh I'm not saying it was good, just that 14yr old me was all :aaa: at the idea of games within games. Plus I think even dumbass past me figured out that you can just bumrush the bottom of the screen and clear all the enemies for a quick win and that sweet sweet phoenix summon.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'd take the Fort Condor mini-game over any mini-game from X. Including Blitzball. :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Some real bad minigame opinions in this thread. :colbert:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

Cid could take whatever staff animations Aerith uses and make them more offense oriented,

Cid daintily twirling around sounds great so yes please.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Fort Condor would be fine if the fastest setting wasn't still unbearably slow. Dump your dudes and wait for the win to happen, but it takes a good 5+ minutes just because everything moves at a crawl.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm also excited for the eventual marching minigame.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ilmucche posted:

"OMG that was terrible, send that guy a bomb or something"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ilmucche posted:

You monster.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AradoBalanga posted:

Cid could take whatever staff animations Aerith uses and make them more offense oriented, Vincent could easily adapt Barret's gun animations to a pistol (or borrow Rufus' shotgun animations, for that matter), and I doubt that Yuffie's shuriken would be a hassle to deal with.

There's basically 0 chance they're just going to copy + paste anyone's animations. Cid is not going to move anything like Aerith, and Vincent's single-shot rifles/pistols are not going to animate anything like Barret's arm-mounted machine gun. This game is generally going for high-quality production value, and nothing says Lazy like having your main characters being literal palette-swaps of each other when it comes to animations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It would be cool if Vincent had a moveset like Rufus, even if it's locked to one gun (like that home run swing you get only with Nailbat.)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Schwartzcough posted:

This game is generally going for high-quality production value, and nothing says Lazy like having your main characters being literal palette-swaps of each other when it comes to animations.

What kinda no-good company would do such a thing...
https://i.redd.it/nqtn55m9mry41.gif

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They can just steal all the animations they need from FFXIV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ilmucche posted:

Amazing avatar/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

WaltherFeng posted:

They can just steal all the animations they need from FFXIV.

Only if we can make the whole party do the Manderville Mambo