Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tuyop posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant by synchronizers.

OK but that's not what the term means. It refers to the synchronising rings in a synchromesh gearbox that match the speed the gear is turning before it engages, reducing grinding and harshness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Synchromesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

OK but that's not what the term means. It refers to the synchronising rings in a synchromesh gearbox that match the speed the gear is turning before it engages, reducing grinding and harshness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Synchromesh

Oh that’s really cool! Thanks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner dropped their laptop, severely loving up their cord.

It is this cord for their Dell laptop:

dell adapter model da45nm140

Am I right in thinking that this adapter is a good, economic option, or are there better?

Newegg.ca has some more expensive options, but I have no idea which one is right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
To be “right” it has to

1) Be compatible with your wall power. Nearly everything can take anything from one hundred to two hundred and forty volts at either fifty or sixty hertz these days because it’s trivial to design power supplies that are, but check anyway. Nintendo was notorious for being an exception, where American/Japanese power supplies wouldn’t work in most of the rest of the world.

2) Produce the right voltage, here 19.5 V. Half a volt either way would be fine. There’s probably some standard calling for less than twenty volts that causes them to use that value.

3) Have a a power/current rating that meets or exceeds the original unit, here ≥ 45 W and ≥ 2.31 A. At a given voltage, these are directly related. In the unlikely scenario they are not they’re not, like the unit says it’s 50 W but only 2 A, something is wrong with the listing because that’s physically impossible. Do not buy.

4) Have physical compatibility with the port on the laptop. Google suggests that the original adapter has a barrel plug with internal diameter of 3.0 mm and outer diameter of 4.5 mm. The centre pin is usually positive, but verify that for yourself. Your broken supply should be marked somewhere.

5) Optionally, take the same wall cord as the original. Something like this fits all the specs above, but it uses a “figure eight” (IEC 60320 C7) lead rather than the grounded “clover” (IEC 60320 C5) of the one you have now. It would still power the laptop fine, but if it doesn’t come with a cord, you may be annoyed to have to buy or scrounge for one. Sidenote on that: If you’re ever in a hotel room in a place that doesn’t use the same sockets, it’s often possible to use the cord from the cable box.

All this is to say: Restricting yourself to items that advertise themselves as replacements for “Dell da45nm140” is unnecessary. DC power supplies are commodity items.

It sounds like a lot of criteria when put like that, but most of them will come together. Look for a 19.5 V supply and see if it checks all the boxes. That’s how I found the example I used above.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 6, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Goons Are Great posted:

In byob I have an entire thread about super nerdy ant facts for you to fill your needs :sun:

Sorry for getting so wordy though, I'm less of a freak than you might think. Mostly.

Yo thanks for this, I'm learning about ants today it's really cool

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Platystemon posted:

4) Have physical compatibility with the port on the laptop. Google suggests that the original adapter has a barrel plug with internal diameter of 3.0 mm and outer diameter of 4.5 mm. The centre pin is usually positive, but verify that for yourself. Your broken supply should be marked somewhere.

Do you happen to know why there are so many barrel plug designs for adapters rather than having a standard form with different diameters?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Goon Boots posted:

Do you happen to know why there are so many barrel plug designs for adapters rather than having a standard form with different diameters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTA33HQZLA

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The Contegos are kinda known for having overly complicated lids that are difficult to clean. I would suggest something simpler that can be easily cleaned.

If they really are freaked out about cleaning mold and just want to toss them, the Walmart brand Ozark Trail metal tumblers are cheap and they sell replacement lids in their store.

30oz tumbler is $8.74
Replacement lid is $1.69

Its less freaked out about cleaning the mold from the lids and more not being able to clean them out very well. So my mom keeps using hers past the point where anything drunk from them tastes of mold.

Mom has to have the insulated metal water bottles for her teas and sodas and juices. And they have to have a closable lid with some sort of push button. And when the lids get too bad my dad just buys mom a new one to add to the rotation.

But the new bottles he buys have their own proprietary lid that doesn't fit the others, because he doesn't pay attention. And he will refuse to spend money up front buying three hydroflasks that offers cheap lids because they are too expensive.

It is maddening.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Goon Boots posted:

https://xkcd.com/927/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do the guys selling cheap knock-off tshirts in the parking lots at summer concerts travel with the tour, or are they locals? (In a normal year.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:siren:dishwasher ants update:siren:

Goons Are Great posted:

I can't even begin to describe how funny I find this by the way, look at those guys raiding a loving dishwasher oh my God :cawg:
Like, I've seen ants doing almost anything, including killing a fully grown rat and constructing a flower funeral for a dead bee, but this, this is something else.

Yeah I'm a bug guy too and to be honest was more bewildered than I was annoyed by it.

Goons Are Great posted:

Most companies that offer those kinds of bait poison do not make a good job in making the bait actually tasty, so chances are you will have to wait a long time before anything happens. You can try to add regular honey nearby and they should prefer that anyways, so you still might be able to follow their track. An alternative would be to throw them a dead fly or something and see where they carry it, but I assume you don't have that ready to go.

Absolutely! Ants move around a lot, some species more than others (Lasius is usually rather loyal to one chosen nest and they are lazy in moving though), but as soon as another spot looks more attractive to them than their current one, they will move out the second they feel safe enough to do so. Like, you could probably offer them an actual nest inside the dishwasher and if they are unhappy about their current place (I seriously hope this is the case because lmao a dishwasher) and they'd probably move in over night.

Yeah they didn't really seem much interested in the bait packs at all.

Anyway, while the dishwasher was running yesterday I decided to use lemony surface cleaner on the countertop, sides of the cupboards, and around the floor. After the dishwasher finished I ran it again, this time with the sanitation cycle with heat drying and using one of those dishwasher cleaner packs. I didn't find a single ant body in the drain trap, which was pretty strange. Only saw a few of them creeping around after that.

They were the most noticeable in the morning, probably because they were active all night when the lights are off and we aren't stomping around, but this morning I didn't see a single one of them anywhere.

They didn't really seem to go to or come from any identifiable place that I could tell. They mostly seemed dumb, directionless, and not interested in food. I'm wondering if they were just a couple of lone workers that got brought in with something rather than from a resident colony. Hell if I know from what though. The dishwasher is the only possible thing as far as I can tell.

Oh well :iiam:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

:siren:dishwasher ants update:siren:

Yeah I'm a bug guy too and to be honest was more bewildered than I was annoyed by it.

Yeah they didn't really seem much interested in the bait packs at all.

Anyway, while the dishwasher was running yesterday I decided to use lemony surface cleaner on the countertop, sides of the cupboards, and around the floor. After the dishwasher finished I ran it again, this time with the sanitation cycle with heat drying and using one of those dishwasher cleaner packs. I didn't find a single ant body in the drain trap, which was pretty strange. Only saw a few of them creeping around after that.

They were the most noticeable in the morning, probably because they were active all night when the lights are off and we aren't stomping around, but this morning I didn't see a single one of them anywhere.

They didn't really seem to go to or come from any identifiable place that I could tell. They mostly seemed dumb, directionless, and not interested in food. I'm wondering if they were just a couple of lone workers that got brought in with something rather than from a resident colony. Hell if I know from what though. The dishwasher is the only possible thing as far as I can tell.

Oh well :iiam:

I'd assume they manage to learn when to go outside/inside the dishwasher and when to avoid it, plus the smell of the cleaner may have given it away. Another possibility would be that your heat cycle killed a bunch and if it's really hot their bodies fall apart, so maybe they fell through the filter? Once opened up, the exoskeleton loses its structural integrity and the warm water can more or less liquify the already very squishy insides, so depending on how the filter looks like, their bodies might fall through while pumping out the water.

Either way, if they did not take any food and in general seemed like no orientation, you are probably right that they landed in there somehow and have no actual nest nearby. Lone ants, even if in big numbers, are pretty much helpless and will literally starve to death in their desperate search for their mom and their home. They do not scout, do not attack, do not form tracks, do not eat or hunt, sleep or even defend themselves or stop for a second, they won't do anything but search for the nest. The only exception is if entire nest structures without the queen are taken out, then they will somewhat function normally but still spend 90% of their time and energy searching.

You can distinguish a single ants' mission by observing how they walk, so if you do happen to find one again maybe that helps: If they walk in a zigzag manner, walking right and left or even back and forth while actively moving their antennae over the ground, they are exploring, patrolling or stalking prey. If they walk in almost straight lines (usually fast) they are fleeing or hunting. If they do neither and walk in circles or in general with no direction without showing the former behavior with their antenna and in a zigzag format, they are lost and trying to find their home by covering the largest area possible and not searching for anything but the home smell. If one ants meets an another ant and if they are doing fine, they will touch their antennae gently and swiftly (it's a greeting that serves identification purposes), they will mostly ignore each other if they are searching or form groups of searching ants without greeting each other like that.

If it's just a few ants without a nest, you basically don't have to do anything, as they will be dead in a matter of a week or two. In which case I must say, poor little guys. :eng99:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How does YouTube's system for filtering and detecting "content meant for kids" work? Is it automatic or set by the channel creator? Is the algorithm biased against animated content in general?

The reason why I ask is that it seems overly aggressive and flags any sort of animated content as "for kids"/disabling comments even blatantly adult-oriented animation such as Superjail or Aggretsuko, which is ironic considering the system was meant to protect kids from disturbing content disguised as children's programming via exploiting the YouTube algorithm in the first place. Is it because of COPPA assuming any sort of animation is liable to attract the attention of children?

I tried Googling criticism of the system, but the best I could figure after wading through articles merely talking about Elsagate and YouTube's/Google's response to the controversy was that content creators/providers are trying to protect their asses from being sued over COPPA. The content provider perspective on the system seems rather opaque and buried under the former articles. Could anyone provide some more clarification on how this new filtering system actually functions?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 7, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How does YouTube's system for filtering and detecting "content meant for kids" work? Is it automatic or set by the channel creator? Is the algorithm biased against animated content in general?

I don't know how it works on the beck end, but the very first screen where you upload a video asked if it's content meant for kids and you have to choose yes or no to continue. There are linked descriptions of what that means/their policy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The reason why I ask is that it seems overly aggressive and flags any sort of animated content as "for kids" even blatantly adult-oriented animation such as Superjail or Aggretsuko, which is ironic considering the system was meant to protect kids from disturbing content disguised as children's programming via exploiting the YouTube algorithm in the first place.

I tried Googling criticism of the system, but the best I could figure after wading through articles merely talking about Elsagate and YouTube's/Google's response to the controversy was that content creators are trying to protect their asses from being sued over COPPA. The content provider perspective on the system seems rather opaque and buried under the former articles. Could anyone provide some more clarification on how this new filtering system actually functions?

It's been a while since I uploaded anything to youtube, but the last time I did, I'm pretty sure I was asked "Is the content of your channel child appropriate?" or something to that effect. So as a "content creator" I was asked in a blanket statement if the videos I upload would be appropriate for kids.

Edited for wrong crap removed. It's a per video setting, not channel wide.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 7, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there currently a thread for weird personal stories/ unexplainable/spooky stuff on the forums?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

veni veni veni posted:

is there currently a thread for weird personal stories/ unexplainable/spooky stuff on the forums?

PYF has you covered

note that this is the fringe science thread - UFOs and stuff like that - instead of the PYF unnerving thread, which often goes into true crime and is loving horrifying

Absolute Yeetus
Dec 11, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
My gmail account and recovery email were both hacked. The automated recovery doesn't seem to be working and I don't want to put in what the recovery email is because it might alert the person who hacked it, or the main one wasn't hacked it would give the person who hacked the secondary one access. Is there a way to actually talk to a human at Google about this or am I hosed?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Absolute Yeetus posted:

My gmail account and recovery email were both hacked. The automated recovery doesn't seem to be working and I don't want to put in what the recovery email is because it might alert the person who hacked it, or the main one wasn't hacked it would give the person who hacked the secondary one access. Is there a way to actually talk to a human at Google about this or am I hosed?

By hacked you mean someone guessed your password or they somehow compromised google’s system to get access to your account?

Just enter your recovery email, it doesn’t work the way you think it does. Then enable multi-factor authentication.

Absolute Yeetus
Dec 11, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

By hacked you mean someone guessed your password or they somehow compromised google’s system to get access to your account?

Just enter your recovery email, it doesn’t work the way you think it does. Then enable multi-factor authentication.

Yeah they just got my password, not a technical hack. And I don't want to put in my recovery email because then the person who has it in their clutches will be alerted (or able to take over my main account if I just forgot the password or something).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Absolute Yeetus posted:

Yeah they just got my password, not a technical hack. And I don't want to put in my recovery email because then the person who has it in their clutches will be alerted (or able to take over my main account if I just forgot the password or something).

I don’t understand. If the two accounts share a password, first change that password and enable 2FA on the recovery email. Who cares if they know at this point? You hold all the cards here.

Edit: They can also see your recovery email if they have access to that account so it’s really in your best interest to move fast and change passwords.

Absolute Yeetus
Dec 11, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

I don’t understand. If the two accounts share a password, first change that password and enable 2FA on the recovery email. Who cares if they know at this point? You hold all the cards here.

Edit: They can also see your recovery email if they have access to that account so it’s really in your best interest to move fast and change passwords.

I don't have access to either account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Absolute Yeetus posted:

I don't have access to either account.

Well that sucks, I’m sorry. Did you go through the dance here? https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1723426?hl=en

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
If I use an old phone without a sim card to play music in my car, can its location be tracked?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goons Are Great posted:

I'd assume they manage to learn when to go outside/inside the dishwasher and when to avoid it, plus the smell of the cleaner may have given it away.

Ugh I think you're right here. I spoke to soon, the ants have returned!

Goons Are Great posted:

You can distinguish a single ants' mission by observing how they walk, so if you do happen to find one again maybe that helps: If they walk in a zigzag manner, walking right and left or even back and forth while actively moving their antennae over the ground, they are exploring, patrolling or stalking prey. If they walk in almost straight lines (usually fast) they are fleeing or hunting. If they do neither and walk in circles or in general with no direction without showing the former behavior with their antenna and in a zigzag format, they are lost and trying to find their home by covering the largest area possible and not searching for anything but the home smell. If one ants meets an another ant and if they are doing fine, they will touch their antennae gently and swiftly (it's a greeting that serves identification purposes), they will mostly ignore each other if they are searching or form groups of searching ants without greeting each other like that.

Thanks for the info, they do appear to be doing the zipzag searching behavior.

None in the dishwasher today, but I found a ton of them under the damp kitchen rag and in the sink. The dishwasher was heat dried last time so there was no water hanging out in there. I'm guessing they're attracted to the water for some reason?

So what should be my next course of action? Using honey to see where they take it?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

dokmo posted:

If I use an old phone without a sim card to play music in my car, can its location be tracked?

By whom? Your wife, the mobile company, the govt or aliens?

quote:

So how about removing the SIM card?

“Removing the SIM may work to stop most cyber criminals, but every phone has a built-in feature set of identifiers that may be detected via tools like Stingray devices now used by the police and military, as well as fake 2G cell towers put up by the NSA,” Gary explains, “Forcing a phone to 2G means no encryption and it’s easily detected and tracked.”

Stingrays are also known as cell-site simulators, or IMSI catchers. They mimic cell phone towers and send out signals that can trick your cell phone into replying with your location and data that can be used to identify you. And they’re surprisingly widely used.

The American Civil Liberties Union has a map and list of federal agencies known to use cell-site simulators, which includes the FBI, the DEA, the Secret Service, the NSA, the U.S. Army, Navy, Marshals Service, Marine Corps, National Guard, and many more. For obvious reasons, it’s not an exhaustive list.

Putting it in airplane mode should stop it being tracked.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Moo the cow posted:

By whom? Your wife, the mobile company, the govt or aliens?

Putting it in airplane mode should stop it being tracked.

I am getting to aliens level of paranoia, so airplane mode it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I am getting to aliens level of paranoia, so airplane mode it is.

Airplane mode won’t deter aliens.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the science fiction story where people are trapped in a bunker by a computer and no one knows what it's like outside?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NotNut posted:

what's the science fiction story where people are trapped in a bunker by a computer and no one knows what it's like outside?

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Mak0rz posted:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?

no in the one I'm thinking of people are trying to escape to the surface, based on a legend of someone who already did

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
maybe it wasn't actually a computer trapping them and I'm remembering it wrong?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

Ugh I think you're right here. I spoke to soon, the ants have returned!

Thanks for the info, they do appear to be doing the zipzag searching behavior.

None in the dishwasher today, but I found a ton of them under the damp kitchen rag and in the sink. The dishwasher was heat dried last time so there was no water hanging out in there. I'm guessing they're attracted to the water for some reason?

So what should be my next course of action? Using honey to see where they take it?

Ah, smart little fellas. In that case and given their movement pattern there should be a nest nearby, either it really is inside the casing or in some dry machinery part of the dishwasher, or somewhere inside the walls, pipes or something like that. Was anything installed there before, when there were no ants around? Did you ever have ants of this species enter your home or maybe seen outside right next to your home? Anything at all that could give you a clue how they got there?

A bunch of this is a bit weird:
If they really came with the dishwasher, they should have come out immediately or after a few hours, not a few weeks after installing it, however if they were around that area before, you should have seen them before, too, unless the pipes were sealed or something was blocking the entrance via pipes.
Their lack of interest in the bait is a clue that they might not be really hungry, ants do not get fat, they just stop eating once satisfied. The only thing they pretty much always take, except when massively overfed, are proteins aka insects.

I'd try the honey and see if they accept it at all, if they don't, maybe you can try to get a fly or bug or something and offer it to them (dead, at best, if they don't take it when already dead they are really good on food, but a living prey will always be killed and carried away) to see where they go. Localizing the nest is now the top priority, as else any effort of getting rid of them will be useless.

By the way, feel free to take it to PMs with me, don't want to jam the small questions thread with all these :words:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goons Are Great posted:

By the way, feel free to take it to PMs with me, don't want to jam the small questions thread with all these :words:

Yes I think I'll do that, thank you

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

NotNut posted:

Post here, the thread is pretty good with these questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=158&perpage=40

Also, probably not, but maybe Wool by Hugh Howey

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

jjack229 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=158&perpage=40

That’s the one I was going to suggest! If that’s not it, you should read it anyways.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

NotNut posted:

Possibly The Penultimate Truth or The Defenders by Philip K. Dick?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

jjack229 posted:

that's the one I was thinking of, thanks

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I've see Raycon wireless earbuds advertised a lot lately, are they any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I like mine, though occasionally the right one cuts out for 2-3 seconds. They fit nicely and sound fine in a variety of conditions.