Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

chaser lowtax posted:

seems like you can't watch a rome video on youtube without getting recommended a bunch of fascist poo poo anymore. holy gently caress do they love aurelian and that dumb STRONG MEN MAKE GOOD TIMES FOR WEAK MEN TO KILL WITH DEGENERACY poo poo

its frustrating

Welcome to the YouTube algorithm curse. Everyone who watches anything on history gets it eventually.

Like come on YouTube AI, I was watching videos on medieval cooking. You're supposed to recommend me wholesome Townsends videos after that, not "HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE MERITS OF WHITE SUPREMACY?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aurelian is cool though. What he managed to do in just a few years is unbelievable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In order to get published as an historian you basically need to :
a) Argue that something or someone generally accepted as bad was good or vice versa
Or
b) Research something no one else has.

B is getting tougher everyday.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's a nested question inside of "who was a better roman emperor" of "what is a better roman empire", because I think different people have fairly different opinions on that.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Epicurius posted:

Judaism hasn't treated him kindly, for obvious reasons.

I thought that was Titus and Vespasian -- what did Domitian do?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Welcome to the YouTube algorithm curse. Everyone who watches anything on history gets it eventually.

Like come on YouTube AI, I was watching videos on medieval cooking. You're supposed to recommend me wholesome Townsends videos after that, not "HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE MERITS OF WHITE SUPREMACY?!?"
Isn't this what the YouTube algorithm does on every topic?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sarern posted:

I thought that was Titus and Vespasian -- what did Domitian do?

I meant that as an answer to "Is there anyone who now has negative views of Titus."

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hadrian's the guy that the Talmud curses with "may his bones be crushed" though. Or something else about his bones, Google has a lot of different translations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Hadrian's the guy that the Talmud curses with "may his bones be crushed" though. Or something else about his bones, Google has a lot of different translations.

Well, Hadrian was the one who rebuilt Jerusalem and banned Jews from it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaser lowtax posted:

seems like you can't watch a rome video on youtube without getting recommended a bunch of fascist poo poo anymore. holy gently caress do they love aurelian and that dumb STRONG MEN MAKE GOOD TIMES FOR WEAK MEN TO KILL WITH DEGENERACY poo poo

its frustrating

The "Sparta sucked, actually" blog guy has a cool series investigating that meme via Dune which I just finished reading. Google the "Fremen mirage"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

chaser lowtax posted:

its frustrating

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Arglebargle III posted:

Extremely European Hannibal Barca: *smolders hunkily at u* *stabs Dalmatia because he's angry he can't find Italy on his map*

So I don't know anything about Hannibal's antecedents in the particular but if you google image search "Lebanese" that dude isn't too far off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If there is any man in history I’d have sex with its Hannibal Bacra

Maybe Marcus Antonius

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76AvV601yJ0

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

An interesting idea, but I don't know if it's compelling enough evidence to declare the case closed. Isn't the earliest evidence of knitting dated hundreds of years after the time the dodecahedra are dated to?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Painting on an oinechoe which features a young man that somehow still has an unretracted, tapered foreskin despite his raging erection.

Phimosis is real, friend

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

That is countered by a school of thought that Hadrian was the one who actually made the mistake by pulling back and fortifying the frontiers, arguing that the Roman state was reliant on constant expansion.

That sounds like a bad school. As the Assyrians were willing to demonstrate three times, a state relying on constant expansion is less a state and more a disease with Humans instead of viruses, eventually countered by the raising number of enemies at the growing size of the border.

Dragging the borders of an already over-extended state out even further would have made Hadrian both stupid and mad, as pulling back and securing the borders was the only valid choice available to him.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

That sounds like a bad school. As the Assyrians were willing to demonstrate three times, a state relying on constant expansion is less a state and more a disease with Humans instead of viruses, eventually countered by the raising number of enemies at the growing size of the border.

Dragging the borders of an already over-extended state out even further would have made Hadrian both stupid and mad, as pulling back and securing the borders was the only valid choice available to him.

Yeah, without defensible borders, those eastern conquests were vulnerable to attack whenever their armies weakened (see: the quick Islamic conquests in the 600s). The Middle East didn’t have the same natural defensive barriers as, say, the Armenian mountains. All of the man-made fortifications were built along the boundary between the two empires.

Conquering all the way to the mountains would’ve forced them to garrison a colossal chunk of territory for decades, best-case scenario, leaving them far more vulnerable to attacks on the northern or Danube frontiers.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Epicurius posted:

Well, Hadrian was the one who rebuilt Jerusalem and banned Jews from it.

Hadrian invented gentrification.

Epicurius posted:

I meant that as an answer to "Is there anyone who now has negative views of Titus."

Titus Andronicus is the best Shakespeare play :colbert:

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Jack2142 posted:

Hadrian invented gentrification.

Gentile-fication :pseudo:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice/status/1269155265732984832

So many weird crossover events going on right now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Im teh passive voice.

E: Although, oddly for the cops, the situation doesn't involve a cop murdering someone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can we not with the current events

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

CommonShore posted:

The "Sparta sucked, actually" blog guy has a cool series investigating that meme via Dune which I just finished reading. Google the "Fremen mirage"

It's interesting, but I can't help but be irritated with the premise (to a point) because it kind of missed the explanations, such as they were, for the fictional rise of the fremen. Plus, magic technology and such. I'm just a big dune fan.

I did like the farming expansion stuff in the first part a lot. I'm not sure what the term is for archeological reconstruction of the migration of various technologies and methods (various pottery styles, for instance) but it's always been very engrossing for me to see it tracked down and laid out so you can see potential group interactions and all that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some time-travelling rear end in a top hat has been vandalizing history again

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

Some time-travelling rear end in a top hat has been vandalizing history again

Wow, Gravity Falls got weird in Season 2.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Flank them with peltasts

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Those damned Antifa have hired Baeleric Slinger mercenaries

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Whorelord posted:

Those damned Antifa have hired Baeleric Slinger mercenaries

The finest supersoldiers come from the Beleares

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Did the sling bullets have obscene inscriptions on them?

SEDE LAXE OCTAVI

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

now the lugal can google

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Arglebargle III posted:

Gold and silver drinking vessels (rhytons), Achaemenid Persian, 6th century BC.

This is from a while ago but I happened to be reading about these today and I recalled there was some confusion about how to use them. They have a spout in the mouth, you plug it with your thumb and scoop wine into it, then remove your thumb and let the wine run into your mouth. The ancient equivalent of a beer bong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyton

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Weka posted:

The ancient equivalent of a beer bong.

Rhyton, bro!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Enkidu should have never come in from the forest

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Dear Ea-Nasir,

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the camp of Ashur, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Hattusa, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top archer in the entire Assyrian armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the tablets? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Fertile Crescent and your donkey is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the cavalry and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the world, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving reed stylus. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CLAY TABLET INTO A SCRIBES FACE. ITS EPIC OF GILGAMESH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GILGAMESH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Kassad posted:

Dear Ea-Nasir,

Man that guy's got some absolutely scathing reviews for his copper ingots on Euphrates winkelhaken com.