Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Nyeehg posted:

Anything i need to know before i play My Time at Portia? I checked the wiki but there's not much there.

Switch version if it matters

If you want the be ~~~~PERFECT~~~ and get all the cheevos and stuff, you'll need to wiki-dive and spoil yourself horribly. But there's not much reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One thing the wiki doesn't mention is that none of the important quest are missable. All those commissions that expire after a day or so are randomly generated, you lose out on nothing except for the reward if you fail to do them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

For Hades: you unlock the ability to buy the "alternate exits" upgrade way before you're likely to find it even slightly useful, so don't bother unlocking it until you have a surplus of diamonds - get all other diamond-related upgrades first.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

∆∆∆ lmao I literally bought it first,like 15 minutes ago

Anything for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Anything for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

A combination of Photon Cannons and Auto-Cannons is the best possible balance of DPS and energy efficiency. Plus the ACs make a nice BOOM BOOM BOOM sound.
Gauss Guns can also be good--they have the best range and shot speed, making them very accurate against fighters. I always come back to Auto+Photons, though.

Try to focus on the Bountiful Vista quest line, which starts in the Eureka system. Building the station up will eventually unlock unique ships and missile weapons with extra capacity.

e: lol got a gun name completely wrong, Tachyon Guns are a massive energy hog even with a top-tier reactor

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 7, 2020

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

One thing the wiki doesn't mention is that none of the important quest are missable. All those commissions that expire after a day or so are randomly generated, you lose out on nothing except for the reward if you fail to do them.

Oh thank God. I finally started playing and I was worried that i was gonna miss something if I missed too many. Now i can safely ignore them for now.

Appreciate all the hints people have provided. The game is a bit overwhelming to start. Can definitely see why i should build multiple furnaces.

Thanks everyone :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nyeehg posted:

Oh thank God. I finally started playing and I was worried that i was gonna miss something if I missed too many. Now i can safely ignore them for now.
Same, I was so relieved when someone confirmed that for me. I hate that kind of time pressure poo poo.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Nyeehg posted:

Appreciate all the hints people have provided. The game is a bit overwhelming to start. Can definitely see why i should build multiple furnaces.

Thanks everyone :)

The number of furnaces you have will never be enough. It doesn't matter how many you make, you can always use more.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am playing ff13 for the first time and have reached chapter 11, where the game finally opens up and you can do side quests.

Without spoilers, is there a post game where I can come back to these at my leisure, or do I need to finish the side quests before beating the game if I’m interested in doing them?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Final Fantasy 13 There is a post-game to tidy up missions and cheevos and fight optional bosses far harder than the plot. If you care about platinuming it you might need to look up a missables guide for Treasure Hunter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks--I don't care about achievements so it sounds like I'm good to just attack and dethrone god and come back to the sidequests later!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Any thing for Monster Train? I've played a bunch of slay the spire, so I'm okay with the basics of deckbuilding as a genre.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nah, Monster Train does a pretty good job of explaining its mechanics. When in doubt, mouse over something and look at the tooltips that come up. You're not under any kind of time limit.

I guess the one thing that may come into play is that order of operations can be important. For example, there's a spell upgrade that will make a spell have +20 spell power and consume, and an upgrade that will make it cost 1 more but remove consume. You can't buy the consume removal upgrade in hopes of finding the +20 spell power and consume upgrade later, because the consume removal upgrade can only target cards that already have consume. That's more for planning than anything though, the game won't let you waste it on cards it won't apply to, it straight up wont let you select them.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am playing ff13 for the first time and have reached chapter 11, where the game finally opens up and you can do side quests.

Without spoilers, is there a post game where I can come back to these at my leisure, or do I need to finish the side quests before beating the game if I’m interested in doing them?

I will add a tiny bit and say that some of the missions absolutely want you to come back to them in post game.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I keep getting sucked back into Assault Android Cactus, which is a great little twin stick shooter.
  • The game actively wants you to be aggressive, the only way to lose is failing to pick up batteries in time or killing enemies too slowly for the batteries to drop. You have infinite health and, while losing weapon upgrades from getting knocked down is really bad, it's still pretty recoverable as long as you killed a clump of enemies in the process and pick up a power-up or upgrade orbs afterward. You can also tank a couple smaller bullet hits before getting knocked down and those will heal up after a few seconds.

• The speed/stun/orb temporary power ups don't disappear and will slowly rotate through the different types, so you can leave them for later if they aren't immediately useful.

• Swapping to/from the secondary weapon does a split second dodge that'll let you pass through bullets and lasers without getting hit which is extremely useful in a few spots. You do need to have at least a little secondary weapon energy banked to swap to it.

• Don't forget you can swap androids between levels. It's pretty easy to just cruise through the swarm levels as a single character, but some boss phases can be extremely rough with the wrong weapon type.

• The first boss on campaign+ is especially tough even when compared to the later bosses, but you can skip past him on the stage select screen if you want. I suspect this works in the regular campaign too if you get stuck, but I never tried it.

yook fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 10, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tylana posted:

Final Fantasy 13 There is a post-game to tidy up missions and cheevos and fight optional bosses far harder than the plot. If you care about platinuming it you might need to look up a missables guide for Treasure Hunter.

There is a very real difficulty jump if you skip all the open zone sidequests, but if you can press on youll catch back up. If you want to do those quests later, though, please for the love of goodness do the first 14. They follow you through the open zone story missions and unlock teleporters and chocobos. Without this when you come back in post game you will have to rerun the dungeons to get to those teleporters and do the quests near there instead of just doing the teleporter quests as you reach them following the story.

Everything after the first 14 missions expect you to be post game/end boss ready.

Also the Phalanx enemy (big box bot with accordian arms) is by far the toughest enemy in the story of the game. Do not hesitate to use your various -sols to obliterate the few encounters with them the game makes you have.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

This is not very important, but I thought it was worth mentioning if anyone else gets starry eyed when they see big numbers: My hosting switched from one control panel to another recently, and that new control panel does not come with any analytics that I can see.

This means no more "We're getting 10,000 unique views a month" posts from me, since I feel quite strongly about third party analytics.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

There is a very real difficulty jump if you skip all the open zone sidequests, but if you can press on youll catch back up. If you want to do those quests later, though, please for the love of goodness do the first 14. They follow you through the open zone story missions and unlock teleporters and chocobos. Without this when you come back in post game you will have to rerun the dungeons to get to those teleporters and do the quests near there instead of just doing the teleporter quests as you reach them following the story.

Everything after the first 14 missions expect you to be post game/end boss ready.

Also the Phalanx enemy (big box bot with accordian arms) is by far the toughest enemy in the story of the game. Do not hesitate to use your various -sols to obliterate the few encounters with them the game makes you have.

That's a great tip thank you. I got the teleporters and chocobos and am starting to get a little burned out by the sidequests so I was wondering if there was anything else important like that that was locked behind them that I'm really going to want to unlock before moving on with the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's a great tip thank you. I got the teleporters and chocobos and am starting to get a little burned out by the sidequests so I was wondering if there was anything else important like that that was locked behind them that I'm really going to want to unlock before moving on with the game.

Nah if you have teleporters and chocobos just move on. Do be on the lookout for teleport crystals on your path as there are a few on the way to your final destination. There is one in Oerba you'll really want to hit, even if you decide not to do hunts, as the games one and only sidequest is in that town and you may need to come back to finish it depending.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for God Eater 3? Explain things like I’m a an idiot who has never played a hunting game for very long or while very sober.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for God Eater 3? Explain things like I’m a an idiot who has never played a hunting game for very long or while very sober.

Quick Devour is a godsend for keeping Burst Mode up or quickly entering Lv1 Burst

Using Burst Arts (even if you hate that particular Art) unlocks more Burst Arts and Burst Art Effects after some use, so experiment a little to find what you like

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

food court bailiff posted:

Ignore the custom bullet mechanics. Unlike 1 and 2 where you can get up to some really wacky stuff with them, GE3 nerfed the hell out of them by giving you a maximum cost limit on how many you can bring. Previously, custom bullets used the same ammo of your normal bullets, in 3 you can only take something like 1400 total cost and every bullet you bring takes up some.

Make a fancy bullet that has a cost of 200? You get seven. For one element. For the entire mission.

To make it even worse, when you start getting multi-stage missions later on in the game, custom bullet ammo carries over between stages. So suddenly you have 7 uses total of that shiny new round for 2-3 missions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaodai posted:

Nah, Monster Train does a pretty good job of explaining its mechanics. When in doubt, mouse over something and look at the tooltips that come up. You're not under any kind of time limit.

I guess the one thing that may come into play is that order of operations can be important. For example, there's a spell upgrade that will make a spell have +20 spell power and consume, and an upgrade that will make it cost 1 more but remove consume. You can't buy the consume removal upgrade in hopes of finding the +20 spell power and consume upgrade later, because the consume removal upgrade can only target cards that already have consume. That's more for planning than anything though, the game won't let you waste it on cards it won't apply to, it straight up wont let you select them.

Cheers, good to know there isnt any hidden things I should be aware of! As an aside, I am enjoying the hell out of this game, if anyone liked slay the spire, I would recommend this without hesitation.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Satisfactory?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Satisfactory

Mostly just play. Look up how stuff works if you want, find out by fiddling if you want.

Someone else said (and I agree) -
The big thing the game doesn't tell you about unless/until you find one is that there's crashed ships scattered around the map. Not only can these have goodies scattered around them to gather, but if you can open the pod (may require supplying the pod with x or more MW of electricity and/or giving the pod some amount of a specific item) there's a hard drive inside. Researching these HDDs in the MAM (the research thing; the game will explain this) gives you alternate (machine-only) crafting recipes. Some of these alternate recipes are incredibly advantageous and you'll want to prioritize getting them.

My addition is -

Dying makes you drop your inventory but it gets a beacon. Berries and nuts can regrow if you don't cut them down but I don't know if mushrooms do.

If exploring for crash sites and such is annoying or planning build chains Satisfactory Calculator has some good tools.

Digging up new materials by hand sometimes lets you research them. Sometimes it'll be locked behind normal progress.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kruller posted:

Anything for Satisfactory?

- ^^^ What Tylana said, prioritize finding and researching hard drives.

- Resource nodes are inexhaustible.

- The four "difficulties" aren't different planets/maps, they are different starting locations on one enormous map.

- Don't burn yourself out re-engineering things you've already made. As you progress and get new parts you'll be tempted to revisit your factories, but especially early on, it's better to just add on to existing assembly lines or just find new nodes. The map is HUGE and you won't be hurting for space.

- Speaking for myself, there's a tendency with games like this to perfect things, make everything perfectly straight and aligned, etc. but given the freedom of dimensionality here, it's very difficult and usually not worth the time striving for perfection.

- On that topic, don't try to perfect your wiring setup, just plop down more and more poles. Only connect 2 buildings to each one--this leaves you 1 slot for an incoming wire, and 1 slot for an outgoing wire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don't worry about doing some rearranging though as you get full resource returns on dismantled buildings.

Conveyors will still work over long distances. I didn't feel like messing with the truck programing so I made a long conveyor from a fuel site back to my starting base that functioned just fine.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, also, if you carry the right things you can a) make and break crafting benches whereever, b) Use conveyorbelts instead of ramps and walkways to traverse when exploring.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also Satisfactory: Mining uranium doesn't make it not radioactive. I have had multiple friends end up in a death loop because they killed themselves mining some uranium, ran up to loot their corpse, and died to the uranium in their inventory. Just don't touch uranium if you don't have the means to handle the radiation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

oh dope posted:

There's no entry for Kenshi, and I think I could use a few mild pointers. I get that's it's an utterly open world game with no narrative, but I'm just kinda wandering around aimlessly and I'm worried I'm just gonna get bored. I've skimmed the SA thread for the game, and it's been helpful, but I just need a little beginner's guidance.

It is a big game but here are some basic mechanical tips that might help

- Strength is trained by having a full load of items, up to 25%, and carrying bodies, up to a separate 25%. So if you want to train it easily you should fill your bag up and then pick up a friend, then run around.

- Toughness is achieved by getting the poo poo beaten out of you. Humanoids will not kill you if they can avoid it, so picking fights with them is a good way to train that. You're supposed to lose, and if you aren't bleeding to death it is wise to get back up when playing dead which gives you a massive bonus to toughness each time you do it. Hungry Bandits are the best for this because they don't do much damage and will only steal your food when they knock you out. Try not to fight slavers, because they will enslave you and steal your stuff if they beat you, which is far from a game over but it is a pain.

- Do NOT pick fights with animals for XP because some of them will eat you once you go down. Stay out of the swamps especially, since they have strong, aggressive, and meat eating red spiders in them.

- The early bars have some people you can hire for only 2000 bucks.

- Health is a bit arcane. Your body parts can go as far negative as their max, so if you have 150 health for that part then you can go -150 before the part fails and you lose it/die. Different races have different thresholds. Damaged parts will have a section that must be bandaged and will continuously tick down until they are, then they will heal over time, which can only be sped up by resting in beds. If you are in a dying state then you will tick down health until you die, you cannot recover unless tended to. If you are in a "recovery coma" then you are stable and will slowly regain function until you are healthy enough to stand up again.

- Never go around fighting with your entire squad. Always hold at least one person back to stealth in after the fight to stabilize and transport injured people to beds. If everyone in your squad gets put into a dying state then you basically have to reload.

- There are two different types of backpacks, regular and trader (the square ones). Regular backpacks tend to be larger and are better for things that cannot stack, like equipment. Trader backpacks can stack items and therefore are far better for transporting trade items.

- Automining copper is the easiest and most boring way to get quick cash. This is done by turning "jobs" on and shift-clicking on a copper resource. Pawns will mine it until the rock's inventory fills, then take it into their inventory. If you have a building with a copper storage box in it, they will also fill the box if they have a job for it, but otherwise they will just stand there waiting for a new order, so keep an eye on them. Squin has some copper resources right next to the town that let's you run to the guards if you start getting harassed.

- In my personal opinion, there is no shame in modding in some training cheats if you want to. Things like weight bench and sparring mat mods are out there that can make your life a lot easier and aren't game breaking since they only train you so far. It's a single player game, get whatever mods make the game more fun for you

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 12, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Glagha posted:

Also Satisfactory: Mining uranium doesn't make it not radioactive. I have had multiple friends end up in a death loop because they killed themselves mining some uranium, ran up to loot their corpse, and died to the uranium in their inventory. Just don't touch uranium if you don't have the means to handle the radiation.

That’s just good life advice, really.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Anything for Ark: survival evolved, which is free on Epic this week?

I have already discovered (by dying) that the game is not paused while you look at your inventory.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Anything for Ark: survival evolved, which is free on Epic this week?

I have already discovered (by dying) that the game is not paused while you look at your inventory.
You can modify item drop rates, personal durability and experience rates in the game settings, which you should be doing if you don't play on an online server. The game is balanced around multiplayer. You will get absolutely nothing of interest done if you don't.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cardiovorax posted:

You can modify item drop rates, personal durability and experience rates in the game settings, which you should be doing if you don't play on an online server. The game is balanced around multiplayer. You will get absolutely nothing of interest done if you don't.

The rate probably should be set pretty high, like 10x or more, if you're playing on your own. Ark's resource requirements get real stupid real quick.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anything else for Persona 4, specifically Golden? The tips in the wiki seem pretty good. I saw one tip that said if I want to see some sort of secret ending I need to do Marie's social link, does that seem accurate?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 14, 2020

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything else for Persona 4, specifically Golden? The tips in the wiki seem pretty good. I saw one tip that said if I want to see some sort of secret ending I need to do Marie's social link, does that seem accurate?

It's for the new epilogue and things past the original game. Honestly, I've never heard from anyone who hasn't done Marie's link to completion regardless of their opinion on her, but I would imagine failing to get it done would mean you're locked out of the new content.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The new dungeon is a horrible gimmick dungeon that I wish I hadn't done, if that helps

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Everything else is pretty much the same as regular Persona 4, tip-wise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Double-post to say I added that and also advice about Steam achievements and against playing Very Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Something else that I only noticed on accident, during the game at any time you can just make your own custom difficulty level. Personally I'm doing Hard settings but with extra Exp and retries enabled so I don't have to grind. I kept money on normal because that seemed a lil bit too cheaty