Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

infernal machines posted:

What is the grip strength of a shuttlecraft anyway?

What do you mean? Is it an African or European shuttle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Applewhite posted:

“Counselor” is a euphemism. Troi’s “counseling sessions” generally last about five to ten minutes.

is this a remark on how we only ever see her counseling someone for a few minutes at a time, or is this intended to suggest that she helps people cope by loving them

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

she uses her weird betazed powers to make people ok with bureaucracy

ok. fine.

except you're in the wrong federation.
ferenghi alliance for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

publicly refute any rule of acquisition

i dare you

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GolfHole posted:

ferenghi alliance for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

garth ferenghi's darkspace

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drone posted:

garth ferenghi's darkspace

You’ve been hanging on to that one for a while.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I know holonovelists who use subtext and they’re all cowards!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh my god... I asked for a Marenghi-type mystery with an opponent capable of defeating Data.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The mystery is how Thornton Reed got so good with a shotgun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Powered Descent posted:

Lt. Galloway, also known as The Redshirt Who They Forgot Was Dead. He got vaporized onscreen, and then reappeared the next season doing security things again.

A page back but holy gently caress whoever wrote this is a genius at comedic understatement

quote:

He was killed on Omega IV by Captain Ronald Tracey in 2268. After exposure to the Omega IV virus and injured from an attack by a hostile tribe, he was vaporized by phaser fire at the hands of the USS Exeter captain. (TOS: "The Omega Glory")

Returning to duty in 2269, one of his later assignments was guarding the holding cell of Doctor Janice Lester, who was actually Kirk through a switch by a life-energy transfer machine. He witnessed Spock performing a mind meld and was the victim of a Vulcan nerve pinch when he resisted the first officer's attempts to convince him of the truth. (TOS: "Turnabout Intruder")

Got a genuine gut laugh out of me :allears:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Applewhite posted:

“Counselor” is a euphemism. Troi’s “counseling sessions” generally last about five to ten minutes.

~Gene's vision~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i always wondered just how much the enterprise crew knows. like, during a crisis exactly what are they told, and who tells them? what about when a crisis happens that doesn't actually affect the crew, like various away missions or troi's space pregnancy?

They put Worf on the intercom to explain that Troi has been impregnated by a space ghost or that the entire command staff has been turned into children

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i would imagine the average citizen on-board has "taken the batteries out of their fire alarm" if you know what i mean

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Any time there is the slightest possibility of ship to ship combat Worf announces that everyone will certainly die with honor today and ascend to Stovokor. All the children on the ship start crying

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Only the ship with the most children on board can be sent to investigate the crystalline entity

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

i would imagine the average citizen on-board has "taken the batteries out of their fire alarm" if you know what i mean

Like wadding up a shirt and taping it up to the 1MC.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

UNSUBSCRIBE me from all red alerts, please

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GolfHole posted:

publicly refute any rule of acquisition

i dare you

My occasional violations of rules 6 and 21 have actually resulted in more profit for me in the long run. (Also, I've known some :females: who are brilliant businesswomen, which sure seems to go against rules like 94 and 139.)

e: I'll save you a google, here's the list: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

We always assume lots of holographic sex is going on but I think we’re all forgetting how often the holodecks poo poo the bed??

I don’t want a handjob from a force field that, by some strange accident of computer science, could adjust its grip strength to that of a shuttlecraft-per-square-inch at a moment’s notice.

"Computer, create a fuckpuppet capable of defeating Data"

*Riker screams*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GolfHole posted:

UNSUBSCRIBE me from all red alerts, please

Thank you for signing up for Targ Facts! You will now receive fun daily facts about TARGS!

Did you know that the shoulder fat of the targ is used to make var'Hama candles? <To cancel Daily Targ Facts, reply 'cancel'.>

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Powered Descent posted:

Thank you for signing up for Targ Facts! You will now receive fun daily facts about TARGS!

Did you know that the shoulder fat of the targ is used to make var'Hama candles? <To cancel Daily Targ Facts, reply 'cancel'.>

Next fact

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

that's true of the federation at large, but not the enterprise where both conventional combat scenarios and terrifying, inexplicable events happen with great regularity.

Sometimes I wonder what poo poo the other ships got up to. Like at one point is it just the Enterprise that has this wierd poo poo happen to them all the time because they're explorers or what about the strange tales of random other ships. Like do we hear Picard or Sisko or anyone ever go "Hey did you hear the Crazyhorse crew got imprisoned on a planet of strippers where they turned out to be all turnips from the 5th dimension?"

Or from the other side Captain Jellico going "Jesus just what the gently caress is going on that ship? I need to be it's Captain and fix all those messes."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allegiance was an interesting one to watch against the background of the current "how much does the crew learn" question.

Like, if you're Picard, do you eventually tell everyone who was in Ten Forward that it was an impostor, or do you swallow your pride and let them believe that sometimes the Captain holds a singalong session?

e: and hypothetically if you ever get made into a puppet of Starfleet's greatest enemy and used to murder hundreds of your peers, are you ever tempted to reuse the impostor excuse?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 7, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also with the reputation of the redshirts dying under Kirk do Starfleet cadets at some point specifically fight their command to station them on that ship and request transfers or resign because they don't want to be killed disposably?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You start out like "I worked so hard to get assigned to the Enterprise, it's everyone's dream to work under Captain Picard, I'm so glad it worked out" and three weeks later you're holed up in a Jefferies tube with an illegal subspace transmitter frantically broadcasting PLEASE GET ME THE HELL OFF THIS SHIP I'LL TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW STARFLEET DAYCARES ARE RUN on Romulan hailing frequencies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gatts posted:

Sometimes I wonder what poo poo the other ships got up to. Like at one point is it just the Enterprise that has this wierd poo poo happen to them all the time because they're explorers or what about the strange tales of random other ships. Like do we hear Picard or Sisko or anyone ever go "Hey did you hear the Crazyhorse crew got imprisoned on a planet of strippers where they turned out to be all turnips from the 5th dimension?"

Or from the other side Captain Jellico going "Jesus just what the gently caress is going on that ship? I need to be it's Captain and fix all those messes."
I think it's more that the Enterprise tends to survive their weird poo poo. Sure they find a lot of turnip strippers, but there's a bunch of episodes where the Enterprise shows up halfway through whatever turnip stripper incident some other ship kicked off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Good point.

Like at some point does the Romulan Empire go "Hey Alpha/Beta Quadrant so our bad, but one of our ships got stuck in a space hole and that made the entire universe fart this really bad Gas...so that's what you were smelling for 4 weeks while we fixed it."

And somewhere Riker is seen going "Oooooh so that's what that was. Everyone was just saying I needed to bathe."

EDIT: Or what if some Q got to the Ferengi and the Ferengi were like "5 bars of Gold Pressed Latinum to make our Nagus a Q...I can't do more." and the Q was like "Sure, 5 sounds like a lot. What do I care, life is pain and my only solace is anime titties."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 7, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gatts posted:

Good point.

Like at some point does the Romulan Empire go "Hey Alpha/Beta Quadrant so our bad, but one of our ships got stuck in a space hole and that made the entire universe fart this really bad Gas...so that's what you were smelling for 4 weeks while we fixed it."

And somewhere Riker is seen going "Oooooh so that's what that was. Everyone was just saying I needed to bathe."

That's pretty much what happened in the eps with the Iconians, Tin Man and the higher-dimensional aliens who put their eggs in the Romulan warp core, except the Enterprise was there to intervene. There's probably a dozen sectors in the Romulan and Klingon Empires marked "THAR BE DRAGONS HERE" on the star charts after ships kept being swallowed up by Nagilium or Promellian booby traps or whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Basically the Star Trek universe is Weird, and the Enterprise seems especially weird but actually it's just survivor bias.

Maybe that's the problem. People keep sticking The Best of The Best of The Best on the Enterprise and they only leave when they die, so every other ship gets murdered by space dragons because everyone who could have saved them are busy scrubbing cooling ducts and waiting for Geordie to finally bite it for real this time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The other species in the galaxy have largely made peace with the notion that there are things beyond them, places they don't go, and things they can't do. Humanity by way of Starfleet just keeps belligerently going wherever the gently caress, as if it's their right to do so, and occasionally trying to tell whatever they find there what to do.

Q tried to show Picard his hubris and we saw how that turned out

NotNowBro
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.dailystartreknews.com/r...kHKel7XJitAzkoo

Looks like a lot of Star Trek actors passed away back in 2019.

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING
The Enterprise is the federation’s official poo poo poking stick

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The other species in the galaxy have largely made peace with the notion that there are things beyond them, places they don't go, and things they can't do. Humanity by way of Starfleet just keeps belligerently going wherever the gently caress, as if it's their right to do so, and occasionally trying to tell whatever they find there what to do.

Q tried to show Picard his hubris and we saw how that turned out
I think it's this and that's why their crews are always overwhelmingly human - they're the only species in the Federation who's like "Where's the Borg? I wanna hug the Borg. I want to envelop the Borg within my body. I want to make love to the Borg."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and gently caress them, to boldly go where no one has gone before

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hey maybe cut the “strange” part, guys. I don’t really appreciate the value judgement of my world you just “discovered”, colonizing little fuckers

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Endless Trash posted:

Hey maybe cut the “strange” part, guys. I don’t really appreciate the value judgement of my world you just “discovered”, colonizing little fuckers

Context matters, dummy.

It’s strange in the “go to the bar and get some strange” sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and gently caress them, to boldly go where no one has gone before

Space, the final bitch.
These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
It's continuing mission: to destroy strange new worlds.
To seek out sexually vigorous libidos and bring terror into their lives.
To boldly poo poo where no man has gone before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the families on the d wouldn't really be that bad if they ditched the saucer section somewhere safe each time they knew they were going somewhere rough. but you know, budget. and also i think they cannibalized the battle bridge set very early on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, i guess the stardrive section looks pretty fuckin' lame.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

maybe you should've invented warp travel then beeeeaaatttcchhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NotNowBro posted:

https://www.dailystartreknews.com/r...kHKel7XJitAzkoo

Looks like a lot of Star Trek actors passed away back in 2019.

Smart, really.

the families on the d wouldn't really be that bad if they ditched the saucer section somewhere safe each time they knew they were going somewhere rough. but you know, budget. and also i think they cannibalized the battle bridge set very early on.

Yeah lets just leave a couple thousand potential hostages on this undefended saucer section while we gently caress about. The borg probably won't find them before we get back. Probably.